"GratZ"

Manique

Marauder
Society
In Da Pocket
Paulo Manique Santos
Ok this is a silly Thread but i think it has its meaning...
why do people say "gratz" and not "grats", afterall its an abreviation of conGRATualionS right ? :D

rep+ if im correct or if im not :laugh:

Some people say grats, but gratz is more common. Both are made-up shortened versions of congratulations, so there's no 'correct' way of saying it. The z version is more common though, often shortened to gz in events to save on typing time.

yeah i have to admit
I might have started this thread criticizing but i do use "gz" sometimes when im burried with mobs :rolleyes:
that's why i said its silly lol, but well its kind of funny, im the only so far that i know that says "grats" if i'm not hunting

could be poor net speak. alot of things are miss spelled from lazy abbreviation's etc. maybe there is a direct reason :scratch2:

Can of worms just got opened

There are so many abbreviation's in games now days one of the ones that always stumped me was lolz. I never understood the z at the end. I have asked so many people that I seen use it if they even knew what the z meant. Nobody could tell me. I told them they might not want to use it if they don't know what it means. I said that as a joke and they all stopped using it. I was in my college English class and I heard a guy verbally say lolz. I burst into laughter because all the people that I asked what the z was had no clue. My English teacher asked me what was so funny and I told her. All she said was "ok" as she looked at the guy that said lolz. 2 weeks later she called me to the front of the class to discuss it with her in front of the class. It turned out she spent 2 weeks trying to find out what the z stood for and was unable to find out. So she asked me. I told her I had no clue thats why I am always asking others. So does anyone actually know what the Z stands for? :rolleyes:

There are so many abbreviation's in games now days one of the ones that always stumped me was lolz. I never understood the z at the end. I have asked so many people that I seen use it if they even knew what the z meant. Nobody could tell me. I told them they might not want to use it if they don't know what it means. I said that as a joke and they all stopped using it. I was in my college English class and I heard a guy verbally say lolz. I burst into laughter because all the people that I asked what the z was had no clue. My English teacher asked me what was so funny and I told her. All she said was "ok" as she looked at the guy that said lolz. 2 weeks later she called me to the front of the class to discuss it with her in front of the class. It turned out she spent 2 weeks trying to find out what the z stood for and was unable to find out. So she asked me. I told her I had no clue thats why I am always asking others. So does anyone actually know what the Z stands for? :rolleyes:

Zippy? (to short)

Why is it AFK when it should be AFC? I thought I was bad at spelling! :laugh:

So can we have a thread within a thread?? Like what other words have been abbriavated twice due to lazyness??

Congradulations --> Grat(s/z) --> Gz

gz means congratulations as much as lol means laugh out loud

i.e. neither have the same meaning they were originally abbreviated for - they are their own word

lolz, gz!

laugh out loud zzzzzzzzzz

I hope someone puts out a whole guide for simpletons like me. Also, the faces confuse me, like ":p", how is that different than ":D", etc.

I think "grats" whether it be correct abbreviation or not has been taken over by chat room slang "gratz". Kind of like "pls" which could mean anything but mainly used for "please" is more commonly slanged as "plz".

Personally I cant stand when people slamm the "z" key. Ive seen people both in chat rooms and in EU chat say "plzzzzzzz" or "gratzzzzz" makes me want to ask if there is something wrong with their keyboard.. lol

lolz, gz!

laugh out loud zzzzzzzzzz

zomg bad grammar
you can say "lol gz" and "lolz....gz" but the z implies the end of the statement :O

I hope someone puts out a whole guide for simpletons like me. Also, the faces confuse me, like ":p", how is that different than ":D", etc.

:p
Sillyness

:D
Yayiness

From what i can gather from this confusing misinformation superhighway, the z is to pluralise the lol. Like that was funnier than a single lol, yet not worthy of a rofl, or even a lmao. My favorite is one my 50 year old dad came up with while texting me- lofl
it took me a while to realise he actually meant to write that, yes it means something to him.

...so there's no 'correct' way of saying it.

'grat's would be the "correct" form of congratulations, with the other letters ripped out.

I never understood the z at the end.

it's a feeble attempt to make the acronym LOL (which should be capitalized) into a plural. to some people, "z" can be interchanged in plurals with "s". also, these same people believe that acronyms can be used as nouns or verbs instead of the phrase for which they stand.

a linguist friend of mine says that languague is what is in use and it's dynamic. so eventually, children will be taught in their languague classes:

I lol, he lolz, she loled. ur loling, my bad.

From what i can gather from this confusing misinformation superhighway, the z is to pluralise the lol. Like that was funnier than a single lol, yet not worthy of a rofl, or even a lmao. My favorite is one my 50 year old dad came up with while texting me- lofl
it took me a while to realise he actually meant to write that, yes it means something to him.

the pluralisation of lol is looooooooooooooool or variation

lolz is a subhybrid mockery form, like zomg, that became a natural to indicate the spectation of event as funny ,rather than the actual event.

Practicing more rumourmongering :wtg:

Wow your Dad can text!! :eek:

I don't really like all these acronyms, it's also annoying when people start using them in real life.
Someone tells a joke and someone else responds "lol", now what the heck is that, laughing IRL has been shortened to mere "lol" too?

a linguist friend of mine says that languague is what is in use and it's dynamic. so eventually, children will be taught in their languague classes:

I lol, he lolz, she loled. ur loling, my bad.
I'll rather let my kids smoke cigarettes than using that kind of language :p

gz means congratulations as much as lol means laugh out loud

i.e. neither have the same meaning they were originally abbreviated for - they are their own word
I like to think it's "Lots of Lesbians", makes me smile too.

Personally I cant stand when people slamm the "z" key. Ive seen people both in chat rooms and in EU chat say "plzzzzzzz" or "gratzzzzz" makes me want to ask if there is something wrong with their keyboard.. lol
I sometimes do ask, if too bored :p

Oh, back to the OP, i often say "congrats" or if busy with mobs, then grats, never used "gz".

the pluralisation of lol is looooooooooooooool or variation

lolz is a subhybrid mockery form, like zomg, that became a natural to indicate the spectation of event as funny ,rather than the actual event.

Practicing more rumourmongering :wtg:

Sir, while I respect your candour (and usually agree with most you have to say) I cannot sit idly by and watch you penetrate such misgnomers into the minds of the young and impressionable. Looooooooooooool would be: Laugh out out out out out out out out out loud. Now tell me, how is that the plural of Laugh Out Loud. The closest I can come to grammatically correct is Laugh's Out Loud in the plural form or L'sOL in shorthand. ;)

Wow your Dad can text!! :eek:

Not only that, he makes his own abbreviations that literally take me minutes to decipher. An example; Catch You Later becomes Cats Chew Slater.

There's so many more, perhaps I should search through my inbox and share more of his pearls of wisdom. :laugh:

Not only that, he makes his own abbreviations that literally take me minutes to decipher. An example; Catch You Later becomes Cats Chew Slater.

There's so many more, perhaps I should search through my inbox and share more of his pearls of wisdom. :laugh:

You should be proud of him! My Dad cant really figure out his mobile (cell) Im in Australia at the moment, you should have seen his face when i mentioned the word email as a way of staying in contact :laugh:

Sir, while I respect your candour (and usually agree with most you have to say) I cannot sit idly by and watch you penetrate such misgnomers into the minds of the young and impressionable. Looooooooooooool would be: Laugh out out out out out out out out out loud. Now tell me, how is that the plural of Laugh Out Loud. The closest I can come to grammatically correct is Laugh's Out Loud in the plural form or L'sOL in shorthand. ;)

Please see previous comments, lol no longer means "laugh out loud". In the category of odd pluralisations, such as milch->milchig, and tolarji->tolarjev

i always thought that gz was better instead of gs since gs could mean more things (and it does?)

lolz came along with lael and other variations after normal lol was so used up like 10 yrs ago, lol isnt really used a lot as a verb anymore (i cant imagine how it could ever have been) :)

lolz.
does anyone actually know what the Z stands for? :rolleyes:

I have never seen someone using lolz but I guess it is plural version of lol.

1 lol
2 lols

and then same thing happend as the s at the end of grats it mutated to z because it looks cooler.

Last edited:
If you want to show you are very "cool" you say gratz, and if not so you say grats. Same is with n00b and other words with digits like m8.

Please see previous comments, lol no longer means "laugh out loud". In the category of odd pluralisations, such as milch->milchig, and tolarji->tolarjev

UH, WHAT?? i thought this was an english lesson :scratch2:

congratulationz on nice thread!!! :wtg:

All the z stuff comes from the LOL-cats phenomenon! Yay :yay:
I think it is just part of a 'cyber cultural' dialect that has emerged to convey small variations in meaning and mood of the writer...

Another funny thing is why people say 'oh noes' <-- plural, oh-lots-of-noes??

Back