Greedy "friend"

I had a friend over many many years. Very fun to be with, great sense of humour, and the type that never got into fights and hard quarrels.
But a leech. He rarely borrowed cash, but when he did it was a battle go get it back. Lend him, say, 1000 and then get back 500, then 100, then nothing.
Worse was his use of friends (and others). He'd offer a sum to get some work done, or something made . Whatever. Never paid up the total promised. Often enough skipped payment altogether, to anyone he bought goods from.
I lost some reputation on occasion, by association.
He would borrow things that was never returned.
I was very found of the chap, despite all. But in the end I quit on him. The money lost, but more so all that time spent on someone ultimately superbly selfish frustrated me. More and more, and he would / will never change.

My two pec's: May be hard to let go, but that is sometimes what one must do. Some will take relentless advantage of those who are kind.

Wish you the best man :)
I had a few friends that behaved like that.
Took the piss; it's best to let them go asap.
You definitely made the right judgement call.

You know the fastest way to get rid of cold calling door sales people? "I'd absolutely love to buy your stuff but I'm totally skint, got no money sorry".

You can always double down. "In fact I'm so poor, I'm wondering if you can help me, or my kids don't eat tonight"

Or go even further "I've not told my wife yet, but I lost my job 3 weeks ago, I'm in a really bad place".

When questioned "I saw you hunting earlier, where did you get that cash?"

Answer "I borrowed it, and don't think I'll ever be able to pay it back".

Now here's the kicker. "Since i'm now in a really big hole, maybe it's time for you to help me for a change. I could really do with that $10k I lent you, and I need like.. Now!!"

There you go. You're now fully trained to get rid of your longterm begger, and you might even get some back. Woohooo.

Good luck.

Rick

Back