Half Moon .. New area keeps crashing

Xeorth

Young
Anyone else having this problem ?? Im constantly crashing to desktop in this area we are talking less than a 5mins gameplay before it crashes ... yet I go off to other areas and all seems fine. My comp has always been fine till this update.....

my graphics card is an Nvidia 8800 GTS with latest drivers ... do you think the area is just bugged ?

of course it is!

Pretty much... Although I haven't had any problems myself, one couldn't expect that nobody would have problems.

yes i crushed every couple of minutes when i tried to explore the area , i managed to run back to tp and after a couple of failed attemps to use it i moved to another area. i had this even with my gfx reduced to safe mode. my card is an amd radeon hd 5700. not the latest model but still decent imho

It has happened a lot in the last days, mostly when I m at c. corinth or at f. zeus (crowded servers).

got around 8 ctds since the last VU come...

before I was in arkadia for 4 months or more and during all that time I had 1 ctd there! :ahh:

Last edited:
Just wondering, where is this area?

Try to tp to camp Corinth! Newbies from Thule now arrive at half moon base near c. corinth.

Some tp's need to be discovery again.

Last edited:
Reactions: aia
Try to tp to camp Corith! Newbies from Thule now arrive at half moon base near c. corith.

Ah :duh:. Now I remember that TP. Thanks for refreshing my memory. :thumbup:

So old cape corinth area!

Ah :duh:. Now I remember that TP. Thanks for refreshing my memory. :thumbup:

So old cape corinth area!

At half moon base tp there will be a mission chain to take you to the new camp corinth tp. It's a funny trip and cost you nothing.

Last edited:
yeah i crash there every 4 minutes with the ammount of ppl there in low and safe mode

xp 32bit 4GB ram and ati hd 7850 with 2BG ddr5 using the newest 13-9 driver

No crashes running around for 3 or so hours there last night.

Unless....you mean out of memory crashes for 32 bit. I got 3 or 4 of those...but well im running in 32 bit mode. Considering 32 bit is basically dead at this point, i cant really fault them for not wasting resources trying to apply bandaids for the 2 gig application memory limit of windows xp. If they were a large company id be all over them for that. But since they aren't, and 32 bit is dead, i don't usually complain about it.

well common misconception

a 32 bit comp with 4GB(yes xp uses only 3.2 GB) and a 64 bit comp with 8GB is equally efficient

most common games mainly still use dx9 as it servers the broadest user base

all the new fancy effects are mainly dealt with on the gfx card anyway

i upgraded the gfx card as it reduced the sound output of my system and i can play any other MMo

or other games on high settings without glitches its just MAcodesucks[SUP]TM[/SUP]

there have been reports from other ppl also using different systems as well

I'm having the same issue since a couple of days. I bought myself a new computer some months ago and have 8 gig memory, using win7.

I had hard crashes also here and im running with 24GB ram.

Blue screen error+total pc-freezeup.

My PC restarted and i got this message: recovering DRAM. Then it reset itself.. and I could boot windows again normally. Might be some.. slight error in this last VU.

im thinking of doing yet another thread to find ways to maybe make the glitches less frequent :dunce:

never change a running system - my system is stable ..just not using the EU client

i found those tweaks for the engine ..will post later if it improves gameplay
(yes tinkering with the cfg file is not endorsed(sp?) by MA but crashing just sucks[SUP]TM[/SUP])

below 2048 MB

e_cbuffer_resolution=256
e_gsm_cache = 1
e_particles_preload = 1
p_max_MC_iters=5000
r_DynTexMaxSize=75
r_EnvCMResolution=2
r_EnvTexResolution=2
r_TexAtlasSize=2048
r_TexturesStreaming = 0
s_CacheSize=60
s_MPEGDecoders=24

above 2GB:

e_cbuffer_resolution=512
e_gsm_cache = 1
e_particles_preload = 1
p_max_MC_iters=6000
r_EnvCMResolution=2
r_EnvTexResolution=3
r_DynTexMaxSize=100
r_TexAtlasSize=2048
r_TexturesStreaming = 0
s_CacheSize=128
s_MPEGDecoders=32
sys_preload = 1

well common misconception

a 32 bit comp with 4GB(yes xp uses only 3.2 GB) and a 64 bit comp with 8GB is equally efficient

most common games mainly still use dx9 as it servers the broadest user base

all the new fancy effects are mainly dealt with on the gfx card anyway

Its actually worse then that 3.2 gig. Under 32 bit windows, the 4 gigabyte address space is shared among sytem device memory(part of the graphics memory address space is mapped into the physical 4 gig space, as well as other devices(sound, hard drive controllers etc), this is why you see less the 4 gig, you might see 3.2 or 3.1, or 3.5, it depends on your hardware).

On top of that the above limit, the address space is split into 2 gigabytes available to an application, this is a unique 2 gig for every application. And the other 2 gigabytes is for the system(os and device), this is shared memory common to every application.

All EU has available in a 32 bit binary in windows(32bit or 64bit) is 2 gigabytes. And its really less. Memory chunks are allocated in contiguous space. If the program wants 100 meg and it only has 20x 10 meg chunks, the memory allocation will fail even tho you still have 200 megs free. As an application runs, its address space can get fragmented, and you will usually see a out of memory error at least several hundred megabytes before the 2 gig mark. 1.6-1.8 gig is where i see most 32bit applications run out of memory.

Running the same 32 bit binary on a 64 bit version of windows obeys the same 2 gigabyte limit. If you are running 32 bit binaries, having the 64 bit os doesnt buy you anything. If most of your software is 32 bit, then having 8 or 16 or 32 gigs of ram, will still help for multitasking, but any one application wont be able to use more then 2 gig.

Running a 64 bit binary on a 64 bit version of windows can finally break that limit. It has the full 64 bit address space to work with(4 billion times larger then the 4GB address space). Tho im not sure if windows 7 or 8 reserves some for the system like in xp, since a 64 bit address space is so vast for today's software, i haven't cared to check.

I explored the area a little last night. No crashes. However, when I entered the cave I got a message that said something like failed to initiate the instance, or something like that. All I could find at the back of the cave was what looked like a puddle of water with a lighted arrow. I thought that was where the sabakuma den mother was supposed to be for the second leg of the mission the NPC near the Half Moon TP gives. Anyone else experience this?

ahh good i see you did not make just a random remark

no hard feelings anyway :D

the problem for me is that i use a soniccore dsp card for sound
and other licensed 32bit programms

though i love EU/PE i will not sacrifice my workstation to some weird requirements of a 'fun' passion

having used 8,16 and 32 bit systems i dont see a relevance to solely Ma's crytek2 mod.

maybe i should run crysis and check how it behaves but i doubt i will have similiar problems

as with last VU its not mainly out-of-ram issues but other crashes and also random disconnects

with the ammount of crash reports they should really borrow someone from crytek

to resolve the problems they ignored earlier this year and got it bad
with the previous VU not only affecting xp users

if i see other systems i'd rather run linux in general together with a SSD
and have 12 seconds system boots :)

but alas not an option..

the above suggestion didnt work so well,
but im using this setting for now and see if i can optimize it further:

-- [System-Configuration]
-- Attention: This file is generated by the system! Editing is not recommended!

ark_adaptive_music = 0
ark_human_lod_quality = 0.5
ark_human_morph_quality = 1
ark_human_render_textures = 1
ark_render_texture_quality = 1
ca_AttachmentCullingRation = 100
ca_DrawFaceAttachments = 0
ca_FacialAnimationRadius = 0
ca_UseDecals = 0
cl_rigidCamera = 0
cl_tpvDist = 10.9555
e_cbuffer_resolution = 256
e_clouds = 1
e_cull_veg_activation = 20
e_decals_allow_game_decals = 0
e_decals_life_time_scale = 0.5
e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy = 128
e_detail_materials_view_dist_z = 64
e_dissolve = 0
e_dynamic_terrain_dist = 100
e_foliage_wind_activation_dist = 0
e_gsm_cache = 1
e_gsm_lods_num = 5
e_gsm_range = 3
e_lod_min = 2
e_lod_ratio = 2
e_lods = 1
e_max_entity_lights = 8
e_max_view_dst = 500
e_obj_quality = 1
e_particles_lights = 0
e_particles_lod = 0
e_particles_max_screen_fill = 64
e_particles_min_draw_pixels = 1
e_particles_object_collisions = 1
e_particles_preload = 1
e_particles_quality = 1
e_phys_foliage = 0
e_phys_ocean_cell = 0
e_proc_vegetation = 0
e_ram_maps = 1
e_shadows = 1
e_shadows_cast_view_dist_ratio = 0.5
e_shadows_from_terrain_in_all_lods = 1
e_shadows_max_texture_size = 128
e_shadows_on_alpha_blended = 1
e_sky_type = 1
e_sky_update_rate = 1
e_terrain_ao = 1
e_terrain_lod_ratio = 3
e_terrain_normal_map = 1
e_vegetation_bending = 1
e_vegetation_min_size = 1
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_custom_ratio_min = 0.5
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio = 0.7
e_vegetation_use_terrain_color = 1
e_view_dist_min = 20
e_view_dist_ratio = 20
e_view_dist_ratio_detail = 15
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation = 20
e_water_ocean_fft = 0
e_water_ocean_soft_particles = 1
e_water_tesselation_amount = 7
e_water_tesselation_swath_width = 10
es_DebrisLifetimeScale = 0.3
es_MaxPhysDist = 50
es_MaxPhysDistInvisible = 10
g_breakage_particles_limit = 80
g_joint_breaking = 0
g_tree_cut_reuse_dist = 0.7
p_max_MC_iters = 4000
p_max_object_splashes = 3
p_max_substeps_large_group = 3
p_num_bodies_large_group = 30
p_splash_dist0 = 7
p_splash_dist1 = 30
p_splash_force0 = 10
p_splash_force1 = 100
p_splash_vel0 = 4.5
p_splash_vel1 = 10
q_Renderer = 2
q_ShaderFX = 1
q_ShaderGeneral = 2
q_ShaderGlass = 1
q_ShaderHDR = 1
q_ShaderIce = 1
q_ShaderMetal = 2
q_ShaderPostProcess = 1
q_ShaderQualityDummy = 2
q_ShaderShadow = 1
q_ShaderSky = 1
q_ShaderTerrain = 2
q_ShaderVegetation = 2
q_ShaderWater = 1
r_Beams = 2
r_BeamsDistFactor = 0.5
r_BeamsMaxSlices = 32
r_Brightness = 0.5
r_CloudsUpdateAlways = 0
r_ColorBits = 32
r_ColorGrading = 0
r_Contrast = 0.49
r_Coronas = 1
r_DepthOfField = 0
r_DetailDistance = 8
r_DetailNumLayers = 1
r_DetailTextures = 1
r_Driver = "DX9"
r_DynTexAtlasCloudsMaxSize = 32
r_DynTexAtlasSpritesMaxSize = 16
r_DynTexMaxSize = 32
r_EnvCMResolution = 2
r_EnvTexResolution = 2
r_EnvTexUpdateInterval = 0.05
r_FillLights = 10
r_Flares = 1
r_FSAA = 0
r_FSAA_samples = 1
r_Fullscreen = 1
r_Gamma = 1.38
r_Glow = 1
r_GlowScreenMultiplier = 0.2
r_HairSortingQuality = 1
r_HDRRendering = 2

im open for suggestions as well :) :)

PS: so far this setting keeps entropia.exe at about 1 GB in not too busy areas

Last edited:
How a non addicted player views this game

Well I logged on yesterday with my pretty crappy low spec PC and I crashed out.
So I got my step son who has a very high end PC to log in and have a look at Corinth so I could see what it looked like on ultra settings and to trade me back something I had lent him.

He had time to trade me back then went to mess about in Corinth.

He crashed out as well so this is nothing to do with PC spec.

His words , "fuck this shitty game" I'm going back to something I can play which doesnt crash.

MA if you want to keep new players you really need to test test test before releasing content.
Or is the churn ok for you ?

I crash pretty regular in the new area as well. Tried about every combo of settings. Seems most stable when the shader quality is set to lowest so issue might be related to that?

*AMD FX-6100 Six Core
*8GB DDR3
*50meg Internet
*ATI HD 6670 - 2GB ddr5 - (newest drivers)
*Windows 7 64-bit

-Bemo-

Last edited:
I can say this totally doesn't depend on your hardware. I never crash at Half Moon but a friend on the same machine/settings haven't managed yet to stay online long enough to kill a couple of sabakumas.

I can say this totally doesn't depend on your hardware. I never crash at Half Moon but a friend on the same machine/settings haven't managed yet to stay online long enough to kill a couple of sabakumas.

Then maybe test something for us. Both of you strip down. No clothes. No armor. See if that changes anything.

-Bemo-

Then maybe test something for us. Both of you strip down. No clothes. No armor. See if that changes anything.
Tested of course, no difference. Also tested on different machine, with the same outcome.

Hmm maybe has something to do with ava skin color or hair style that is bugged causing the issue? Its something that the system just doesnt like.

-Bemo-

Whatever the cause is, turning off sound in the settings seems prevent crashes.

For hairstyles stats: 27M doesn't crash, 30F does.

When I get back to Caly in a bit ill try the sound thing.

-Bemo-

didnt work for me in general

Well im glad its not my rig .. didn't think it was.... I struggled to get back to the TP through crashes ... now messing around nympthtown doing the event and no crashes at all except being kicked from the event area once ( no change there) ... kinda says it all really.

Avatar at Half Moon Bay TP area, cannot log into game all day.

Tried all of the things suggested and get as far as the Mother Ship load screen then crash to desktop. I have had very little trouble logging in any were else on Calypso and playing for hours without a crash. Hope they move my avatar to another location soon. :confused:

i had earlier this year similiar problems at the oddyseus landing tp.. just couldnt log in without crashing.

a temporary solution is to be moved by support.

Still not able to log on..

:scratch2: Day 2 sent in case report late last night, got an automatic reply with case number. This morning I received second e-mail saying that I am on Planet Calypso and to report any further problems with this issue??
BUT case is still open so I think this was also an automated reply. Have been trying to log in all day( 3:00 eastern time right now) and same thing happens, get to second loading screen and "LOUD CLICK" back to desktop:censored: So now I wait to get a third E-mail from a real MA staff member who hopefully can move my Avatar from the Half Moon Bay area...:sweat: Maybe I should not have tried to sweat that larva bug....

:scratch2: Day 2 sent in case report late last night, got an automatic reply with case number. This morning I received second e-mail saying that I am on Planet Calypso and to report any further problems with this issue??
BUT case is still open so I think this was also an automated reply. Have been trying to log in all day( 3:00 eastern time right now) and same thing happens, get to second loading screen and "LOUD CLICK" back to desktop:censored: So now I wait to get a third E-mail from a real MA staff member who hopefully can move my Avatar from the Half Moon Bay area...:sweat: Maybe I should not have tried to sweat that larva bug....
At the moment you're the fifth person with this problem that has posted about it.
On this forum there are these two threads, and mine on Arkadia forum.
So would be great to hear if/when anyone finds a solution/gets moved.
GL.

Back