Halloween Mayhem 2014

Im not sure... however, I know many multiplier fps games were restricted to 32 players a long time. Think it expanded to 40ish at some point but not sure if the standard of fps-games has gone any higher since I no longer really care. But apparently, players causes a lot of server load.

From a network POV, it's not the player numbers that is the issue, but the number of player interactions. We could have 10,000 people on the nymph server, and it would run fine as long as only 10 people were on your radar at any one point. Now, we have 100 which is 99x100= 9900 simultaneous interactions.

From a network POV, it's not the player numbers that is the issue, but the number of player interactions. We could have 10,000 people on the nymph server, and it would run fine as long as only 10 people were on your radar at any one point. Now, we have 100 which is 99x100= 9900 simultaneous interactions.

So.... perhaps it's all the whining in chat that keeps crashing the servers...

---//

Anyone know approximately what time loot was added yesterday? Want to give it a go at the right time today.

Sounds like the perfect opertunity for every one to test server load by gangam dancing ;)

I remember the sit down protest maybe there should be a dance off ;)

So they are not running dual gigabit ethernet on their servers which should easily handle that load. I've worked in data centers and they handle hundred times that amount of transactions per second with ease on their servers. Maybe they should have upgraded the 10 base 2 coax cable in their building to at least 10/100 twisted pair.

9900 transactions at once is not that many at all, unless there is some really crummy net code behind it. Oh wait MA... Code... oh yah... nothing to do with hardware... all about incompetent programming....

MA is just happy ppl stopped complaining about loot for a few days

Anyone getting in?

Got in game, then CTD, now timeouts and lost connections.

:(

Edit: Works now :)

I must say that support has handled everything I thrown at them very well! + rep to them, and it really is well deserved! Im still a bit angry and frustrated that the event turned out the way it did though.

9900 transactions at once is not that many at all, unless there is some really crummy net code behind it. Oh wait MA... Code... oh yah... nothing to do with hardware... all about incompetent programming....

I would imagine the first stage would be to find all players within a set distance and then to query each one for their rendering parameters - items, armour, clothing condition and avatar design which should then be cached locally for a while.

To reduce load on the database this might be a bulk query but I'm guessing it's singularly just like storage where things appear one at a time. Avatars switching items will increase the load.

If I understand it right, the bottleneck is the number of people who click the entrance at the same time. If player two clicks entrance Before payer one has entered properly, the servers will try to send player two to same instance as player one, and when the server realizes two people appared at once, they both will be kicked out. Possibly, meanwhile, some piece of hardware has worked with allocating the instance. So if enough of people is trying to get in at the same time, the servers (or possibly the process that manages teleportation in and out of the area) will be busy accepting people into instances and booting them. Meanwhile, from the time you clicked the "portal" until you are inside, you are in a "limbo" state (the server you are on knows that you are leaving, but you haven't arrived in a new area).

For the the next Instance Event (Merry Mayhem) Could the dev team please figure out why the Crash To Desktops are so unbelievably common and fix the damn problem!

and Hof after hof in the closing hours.. days after alot of us hit the time limits.

How did I do ?

40 Hours completed

5400 Pumpkin points

3 Omegaton Ingi L1000 L guns
1 Kallous 7 L
3 Kallous 4 L
1 Photonic L
1 Arsonistic V L chip

1x HoF @ 899 ped

Lost everything including a fully decayed Spartacus L Set and ended up atleast - 2500 peds even after all the Globals.

Maybe i'll scrape the 50 ped ammo bonus ? What a joke, first full event and definitely the last. :mad:

Could you post total spent and total loot tt?

and Hof after hof in the closing hours.. days after alot of us hit the time limits.

How did I do ?

40 Hours completed

5400 Pumpkin points

3 Omegaton Ingi L1000 L guns
1 Kallous 7 L
3 Kallous 4 L
1 Photonic L
1 Arsonistic V L chip

1x HoF @ 899 ped

Lost everything including a fully decayed Spartacus L Set and ended up atleast - 2500 peds even after all the Globals.

Maybe i'll scrape the 50 ped ammo bonus ? What a joke, first full event and definitely the last. :mad:

Well, I'm still waiting to loot any essence.

Just as I thought, probably loot 1 when events over, do vamp and get peanuts from it.

Most annoying when I know people who have looted quite a few, some one after the other.
Only 27 hours done, Monday I could not get into instance, Tuesday I could not get into Entropia full stop (Internal Error, at 6pm, so gave up at 10pm, after support still had not moved me).
No pumpkin looted above 100 points, one instance with a ridiculously small amount of pumpkins.

Think my time on the event is over, last 2 days been pretty poor loot in there for me, one had 2 100 plus globals but still came out down. All category 4 bar the 1 in Cat 2, where I got a pathetic 14 points.

Early part of Mayhem though, did get some good loot, so cant complain, but it's got progressively poorer each run, so time up on it.
Good luck to those who are finishing or have finished it.

P.S.
Next year MA, push for button for me to loot a few essence while events rolling, took me 34 hours last year to loot 1, and this year nothing, doing all the hour btw, not farming big pumpkins.

Overall I am happy with event.
Managed to stay even most of the way until the last 10 hours, where I lost a little.
I am approx 800 ped down.

39 hours,
108 globals - highest was 504.

point total is : 15042 (so at least 500 ped comes back)
managed to loot at least one of all pumpkins.

Notable loot: was 1 lc-200 (L), an esi(20 ped), and an exterminator (L)
11 essense (79 instance runs)- one 53 ped ammo global from vamp and a 65 point pumpkin looter rest were all loss per kill.

I hit the lev 25 beserkers in level 3 for the optimal kill rate with my gear (vs the other maturities/mobs) and being the most hunted mob.

Cant complain, very happy overall.
Did far better than I did last year where I placed 89th. (and lost about 4k ped)
I am eager to see how I fared this year.

Last edited:
For the the next Instance Event (Merry Mayhem) Could the dev team please figure out why the Crash To Desktops are so unbelievably common and fix the damn problem!

I have a suspicion that there is some item of clothing/armor/weapon/whatever that when equipped causes other avatars (probably only few with specific hardware or settings) to crash..

can we enter halloween mayhem now without it affecting our time?

can we enter halloween mayhem now without it affecting our time?

since there is ~30hrs left, i would say thats probably a bad idea.

My results.

39.8 hours.

Lost 3.8k ped.

14,xxx points.

1x5k, 1x1k, 4x500

Was 90% cat 4. Mainly spent on Warlords, but I did bounce around a decent amount.
Most of time spent at 90ish dps with T5 and T6 damage enhanced ASI 30 smuggler w/dante and Arson TEN. Pulling and Pre-damage with T5 Golden Tommy damage enhanced with adj cause. The last 10 hours I pulled with a T8 JS damage enhanced with a dante but stull used the ASI once it got close enough.

Used MM armor with aquila gloves, and pulsar 8. Decay was very low, around 20 ped defense per hour average. (adj fap)

In the beginning loot was fine. I hovered around even for the first 30 hours, and had no complaints with loot. At hour 30 loot got horrible.

I finished it out but wasn't able to hit the 15k points prize tier because the last 6 runs were all less than 100 and I had like 2 globals during the last 6 runs.

I have talked with NUMEROUS people, and I feel the system was designed this way, to bend you over and pound ya during the last 10 hours, as you chased the points because they gave you just enough to make you think you had a chance.

Also, I know dozens that have over 20k, some MUCH more. This was 100% dps based again, random luck will get you a 5k, but you will NOT win. All the winners will be the high dps usual people...I think 15th place will be around 27k points. I am not complaining, just stating a fact. I am sure that the higher DPS people spent and lost way more then me, so I feel they deserve the prizes more than me, so that is fine :) But it will just reinforce my decision to not do these events ever again.

Edit: I just realized I still need the gloves when they drop....shit...guess I will start forming my MM team now. :)

So far this HM, the solution I have found that works for me is this:

Run CCleaner to clear out junk.

Set or do in Entropia launch options before each launch of the game: Reset, Clear shader cache, run in safe mode and repair. Make sure to click ok at the end of it.

When in game, resize window to what you want but keep in safe mode.

Doing the above I have been able to go from 1-2 hours before CTD to 13+ hours with no CTD.

fun thing is the "scenario" seems totaly prewrited. i do exactly like last year scenario with some good start, and finish r a p e d in last 10 hours. ofc the 5k pumpkin wont come since it may gimme a prize and in mindark scenario im 16th or 17th as usual.

There are a lot of players who completed the 40 hours pretty quick and are waiting for the event to be over to rush in and keep killing.

Will the instances remain open for a few weeks like last year?

I was not competing really, but wanted to reach 10k points. Ended with very similar results to yours (I lost less luckily). But I am sitting at something over 8k points since I have not looted the 5k pointer.

I have not finished like last 3 hours as I wanted to keep last hours for weekend and I was then simply busy with WOF and was tired to finish it.

But I agree, at first the loot was great, with finish turning into nightmare :)

And yes, it's purely DPS based, there is no way you place in top 15 even with 100+ DPS.
And there is almost no way to even reach 10k points with 100+ dps without 5k pointer.

My results.

39.8 hours.

Lost 3.8k ped.

14,xxx points.

1x5k, 1x1k, 4x500

Was 90% cat 4. Mainly spent on Warlords, but I did bounce around a decent amount.
Most of time spent at 90ish dps with T5 and T6 damage enhanced ASI 30 smuggler w/dante and Arson TEN. Pulling and Pre-damage with T5 Golden Tommy damage enhanced with adj cause. The last 10 hours I pulled with a T8 JS damage enhanced with a dante but stull used the ASI once it got close enough.

Used MM armor with aquila gloves, and pulsar 8. Decay was very low, around 20 ped defense per hour average. (adj fap)

In the beginning loot was fine. I hovered around even for the first 30 hours, and had no complaints with loot. At hour 30 loot got horrible.

I finished it out but wasn't able to hit the 15k points prize tier because the last 6 runs were all less than 100 and I had like 2 globals during the last 6 runs.

I have talked with NUMEROUS people, and I feel the system was designed this way, to bend you over and pound ya during the last 10 hours, as you chased the points because they gave you just enough to make you think you had a chance.

Also, I know dozens that have over 20k, some MUCH more. This was 100% dps based again, random luck will get you a 5k, but you will NOT win. All the winners will be the high dps usual people...I think 15th place will be around 27k points. I am not complaining, just stating a fact. I am sure that the higher DPS people spent and lost way more then me, so I feel they deserve the prizes more than me, so that is fine :) But it will just reinforce my decision to not do these events ever again.

Edit: I just realized I still need the gloves when they drop....shit...guess I will start forming my MM team now. :)

Mindark desactived pumpkin loot 1hour BEFORE the end of the event !!

they are not even able to respect their own rulez .......................
so i got 30 min fucked !!!!!!!!!! this is unfair

Here we go :

39.5h - 6907 points (4x500 pumpkins, nothing bigger)
Mostly L2 instances @ ~60dps
Didn't loose a lot at the end but not even a single glob on 41Pumpkins/18Counts.:scratch2:

At least I made it to the 5k points for the awesome 50 pedish reward. :yay:

Mindark desactived pumpkin loot 1hour BEFORE the end of the event !!

they are not even able to respect their own rulez .......................
so i got 30 min fucked !!!!!!!!!! this is unfair

sme here...returned earlier from work today...and then they finish it too early. that really sucks, guys!

And yes, it's purely DPS based, there is no way you place in top 15 even with 100+ DPS.
And there is almost no way to even reach 10k points with 100+ dps without 5k pointer.

yep, i went hard for 39.5hrs with ~100dps and came in 300pts shy of 10k which is only the 2nd of 4 tiers of 'bonus' prizes.

Ill get the 50ped prize for my 36kped cycled. :)

Back