Has anyone ever tried a gamming joystick

CozMoDan

Elite
Herco Coz Mann
Just wondering if they would even be practical ?

Never tried joystick to play Entropia, but it's a pleasure to play flying games etc with one, not done it in probably 15years though haha.

Play with Xbox controller sometimes

I use xbox 360 controller all the time I have mapped the controll buttons to the keyboard and controll sticks to mouse

If you have steam, you can map most controllers,(without any extra software) I will say its not that great, but it can get the job done. I'm sure once Mindark make official support for controllers it will be a better exp.

I'm sure once Mindark make official support for controllers it will be a better exp.

I would have to disagree, I use an xbox style controller from amazon and using a software I've been able to map it flawlessly. That combined with the ingame key binding interface makes it possible to do anything in eu with the same settings if done well.

I fear mindark implementing their own system would ruin the fluidity of what I have going on, should it interfere with the software im using.

Possibly. Although for most, I guess a plug and play would be a nice option. Along with more analog control over things like movement would be nice. (not just stopped or full speed)

Last edited:
I managed to get a solid connection to the game again recently and as such tried my old joystick interface at the weekend. It was a total mess and didn't work. Spent some time scratching my head as to why and eventually spotted a major oversight which I have now fixed and all good again.

If anyone is interested e.g. @CozMoDan I have things set up for twin stick in space (not tested in ages - so may not work anymore) and a single stick in atmosphere. Additionally I extended it to to support a joypad (I use a PS3 controller). The joypad is kinda fun since I'm using a very subtle rumble on it which sorta "adds something" when you are using a vehicle.

As regards if they make sense, yes totally, even with the digital steering, using a joystick or pad for vehicles is good fun. In space IIRC pitch and yaw are analogue though. It might actually be possible to do analogue car steering as have a feeling you can steer with the mouse and that might be analogue... not properly checked.

Anyhow yeh in short, I really enjoy using a joystick for controlling vehicles. It just adds a bit of much needed fun. I've never/rarely bothered using a stick or pad for walking/running though. Stick to mouse and keyboard for that sort of thing I think is best.

Wistrel

Back