Have (L) items increased the importance of skills?

Have (L) items increased the importance of skill?

• Yes

Votes: 80 53.0%
  • No

Votes: 50 33.1%
  • It remains to be seen...

Votes: 21 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thorn

Elite
In your opinion has the introduction of (L) limited weapons and tools such as finders and faps increased the importance or inherent value of skills?

Recently while trying some of the limited finders in my reach I can`t help but feel that these (L) items have increased the importance of skills. Without skills some of these tools and weapons are still useless to me and others who have not reached the required levels yet. Finders, weapons and faps are all good examples. Arguments against this might be the way loot works or influence of existing non (L) items. To me I think they have put more importance on skills in the overall scheme of things. And think it could be part of the goal of their introduction. I`m interested to hear what people think.

Voted yes.

Definitely seems to have increased the focus on skills, levels and the inherent importance of them.

Probably more so in the low to mid level player base imo :)

I think skills have always been important and I don't think that (L) items have changed that. In fact skill is perhaps more important for UL items as you will lose a lot of money if you are using an UL item with skills which are too low.

Voted Yes

I think i'm more focused on my skills now.

Some mobs has a pretty fast HP regen (Ambu, spiders, and trox also) So you have to get the skills up high enough to handle the (L) guns/items (such as FAP and mining gear) to be able to take down those fast regen mobs.

Not sure I've written this correclty but i guess you get the piont :)

Voted No.

In the past, you HAD to skill more to be more eco.

Nowadays, you can easily find eco tools at your level, whatever it is.
Sure that the big weapon you want to try is higher than your skills, but I don't think it is a motivation to skill more. I speak for me. :D

Yes.
Even though it's still the same *higher skill means you can get better dps and eco* concept, switching weapons more frequently makes you feel like you've actually archived something. Thus skills feel more important, as they represent that feeling of archivement.

i voted no

i might be wrong but it seems, those big L armor have made it possiple for people without, 200+ HP and archmaster evader /dodger ;), to be more copetetive.
but i do think people are focused a bit on to get the next SIB gun unlocked, to get more dmg. but then again i gues people have allways skilled to get better at shooting L or UL.

regards

Voted No.

In the past, you HAD to skill more to be more eco.

Nowadays, you can easily find eco tools at your level, whatever it is.
Sure that the big weapon you want to try is higher than your skills, but I don't think it is a motivation to skill more. I speak for me. :D

Agree 100%, skills are vastly less important than before (borderline lie calling the game "skill dependant" anymore imo besides the extra hp once you reach a certain lvl).

Reactions: Lo.
Nope, just have a look at the markup of all price of skills over the year and you will have a good indication ;)

MA has a lot of work to do to reverse the situtation, but, is it in their own interest ?

Skills are only important up to the level of the tools/weapons that are readily available (read decently priced as well)

So, basically weapons wise stuff like the P5 and the Manis. Stronger weapons are moving into the "available" range like the Apis.

But the speed with which higher weapons become "available" is much slower than the skill gains gathered to reach their level.

So, a lot of people see no reason to skill past a certain point.

<< voted No

SIB Weapons
At a certain level - all the SIB weapons are maxed - and skills aint important.

My fiancée is maxing UL HL8 now, so she can do eco hunting with my HL8 as well... And she can continue grinding mobs until she max *whatever* weapon with a gun thats totally maxed... And therefore the skills doesnt matter after maxing some DPS weapon...

Even an P4A at 108%+A104... Well I could settle with using that for some time, go hunt drones and stay alive wo expenses - and get solid income from gazz...

Skills means dip shit anymore...

None SIB:
- UNLESS -

You still wanna use non SIB items - as my I2870 - skills DO matter...

For mining - yes.

Before the L stuff you could max the of-105 at a fairly low level and thats it.

its forced people to understand the value of them , IE old guns you can still use them badly at any skill , new L you are forced into using them at the correct levels

only up to a point. once you have a certain level, say 40-50, and have unlocked high dmg/sec weapons then further skills are somewhat redundant. you could push on for the next weapon, but often they are expensive to buy anyway. it feels like its unbalanced, and MA will have to now introduce new and more higher level weapons in the future to maintain interest in skills. long term players who use old school will of course still seek to increase skills and might one day prove a sound strategy if materials/drops become rare and lots of mid-lvl players are stuck with high markup L.

Only skills I value is Paramedic and Evade, as I mine with OF-105 and hunt with Korss400 the other skills arent important.

Well - it sure is more balanced and easy for a semi n00b team (Tax Collectors) to form a hunt in any pvp zone and claim people resources.

And If the biggest socs (200 players) all would be on-line during a land grab - such socs as Warants and other big skilled people would be in deep shit...

the only strong argument why skills are more important is that old school stuff simply does not drop, so one has to aim to requirements level. on the other hand, a lot of players get tired of climbing the wall, searching for the next L to use etc. and quitting because of that - more skills on AU stabilising the value. so I think it has not made much difference.

back in the golden days (up to VU 8.2 aka old school items nerfed from loot) anyone could try it out with opalo, then mk2 and see if it is even more fun with let's say mk5. it was, believe me. today, you take opalo (where's the promised blp one, by the way...) max it, take next SIB, max it and then hit the wall of markup on next level L or even more insane UL version. what will majority do for entertainment? yeah, go to watch a movie or something...

the word is spreading that in some RCE games one can use any L item but it simply isn't as effective as from required level. same logic as being able to use old school stuff but it's still L. anyhow, L&oils&sims isn't giving much fun! I'd be happy to tt mk2 or fap50 or give it to mr. crafter to disassemble to elementary units then used for crafting but still have the thrill to see if it's actually mk2 or imk2!

someone remind me, if you will, what was the point of implementing the SIB anyways? :scratch2:

J.

Voted no, because skills have always been important and continue to be so, just in a different way.

Before L, your eco was determined largely by your skill level. It created something of a "pyramid" game where higher players could pretty much be assured of better returns tt-wise than lower players. The level of mob you could hunt was determined largely by your bank account. If you could afford the higher-dps items, you could hunt the larger mobs. So you skilled in order to constantly improve your eco, with the hope of getting ahead of the other players.

After L, very quickly you can reach eco levels that rival the highest players in the game. You are just limited in the level of mobs you can hunt and still be eco. So you skill in order to use higher dps L guns at similar eco. Because of L items dropped by those higher mobs, you can improve your returns not tt-wise, but after markup.

What I think will be interesting, is what happens when many players start reaching a skill level that makes UL guns usable with decent eco. Then we will have more of a mix of more skill=more eco, and more skill=higher mobs players.

In hunting, after u've maxed P5 (lvl 21 i think) i see no reason to skill further.. unless u plan on reaching lvl 80-90 and use AT THE VERY LEAST an mkvme or i2870, preferably imk2/mod merc..

Even at lvl 95 hit & dmg u are more eco with P5 (L) than MKV, EP 41 or some other normal old school weapon.. So unless u plan on getting ur hands on some imp/mod gear than no, i don't see a reason to keep skilling past lvl 21.
Maybe skill on to be able to use some HL 11-12 or something to have some fun once in a while perhaps..
I get about the same % return no matter what eco i play with so for me it doesn't matter but most people seem to get better return the more dmg/pec they have (for me loot just get's lower when i play more eco so it's still the same % return).. maddox4, mkv, P4, ML 35 ... it's all the same for me, was a little better when i had lower skills though..

In hunting, after u've maxed P5 (lvl 21 i think) i see no reason to skill further.. unless u plan on reaching lvl 80-90 and use AT THE VERY LEAST an mkvme or i2870, preferably imk2/mod merc..

Even at lvl 95 hit & dmg u are more eco with P5 (L) than MKV, EP 41 or some other normal old school weapon.. So unless u plan on getting ur hands on some imp/mod gear than no, i don't see a reason to keep skilling past lvl 21.
Maybe skill on to be able to use some HL 11-12 or something to have some fun once in a while perhaps..
I get about the same % return no matter what eco i play with so for me it doesn't matter but most people seem to get better return the more dmg/pec they have (for me loot just get's lower when i play more eco so it's still the same % return).. maddox4, mkv, P4, ML 35 ... it's all the same for me, was a little better when i had lower skills though..

I'm a little confused here:scratch2:

You say there is no reason to go past lvl21 and yet you gave the exact reason why with the HL series.
For you it might be a bit of fun once in a while but for anyone wanting to do some higher level hunting with higher DPS requirements then you must skill up to use the weapon.

Not everything is about eco,DPS is important too and you wont get that with an Unl gun that you havent maxed the dmg portion on but you will with the (L).

Aside from all that i feel there is also a psychological issue that its easier for people to set themselves smaller and perceivably more achievable goals such as the next 5 lvls rather than saying you get nothing till you get to the top.

If you tell someone to eat 1000 burgers and you'll give them $1,000 when they finish then they gonna think "There is no way possible i can do that,It would take forever!" but if you tell him to just start eating and you'll give him $10 for every 10 burgers he eats he maybe more inclined to give it a try.

MA really made a mistake dropping all those UL sib guns. The move to L was understandable. They gave L weapons an advantage, understandable too.
But why L sib weapons?

This has caused higher L weapons to be more expensive to use, instead of the other way around. They should have dropped say 100 guns a day of any kind. Since there are less people at the top, it's cheaper to use those, so you really get more eco while skilling to the top.

But MA always had the lowest guns to be the most economical. First axe2x0, then opalo + a10x, then korss + a10x, then p5a+a10x.
Hunting with api's or hl12 is just so much more expensive.

Really, why drop about as much UL x5 as (L) ones? Now 1 guy has major luck, but overall the people get screwed (and so the lucky guy in the end too since ther market goes down).
Hl1800 LOL. There is not even 1 L variant.

Getting more skilled should mean getting more eco, but i see alot of highly skilled players just go for drones and argo with p5a;s. That's weird too. Low level mobs that are more rewarding to hunt than harder mobs.

Back