Have more fun without depositing?

mandu

Stalker
Society
Victory
Mandu Mojo Marconi
I had an idea when reading another thread.

Many people have talked about loosing interest in this game, while i think "How can this be, there is so far to go, so much to learn?" And I came across this post...

subscription fee? what, like $30 a month? :laugh: Can't imagine ever being able to pay $30 per month. :laugh:

I got sucked in by the RCE hype, stuck around because it actually is a fun game. But it is hugely expensive to play, the challenges are becoming fewer and fewer, and my interest is fading fast.

Is it possible that buying your way through the game takes the satisfaction away?

Personally, I am an old school RPGer. I love whatching my character grow, my skill and power increase. I love that I can now easily take down an Atrox when they were once a feared beast to me.

Perhaps the above poster is feeling unsatisfied because he bought everything in the game rather than earning it (I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it...).

So maybe the people who want to play the game, rather than make an investment should think very carefully about how much they deposit. It could ruin the game for you.

That's my two cents for the day.

Mandu

:idea:I love ideas... all of them. I gotta get one soon! hmm.... *chanting on* to not deposit anymore, to not deposit anymore, to not deposit anymore, to not deposit anymore,....... *chanting off*

Bliiing!:banghead: <-- trying to erase all the good times in eu.., hofs, globals etc. and refocusing on auction hofz.. now thats a bright-boring-to-death idea.:laugh::woohoo:

I had an idea when reading another thread.

Many people have talked about loosing interest in this game, while i think "How can this be, there is so far to go, so much to learn?" And I came across this post...

Is it possible that buying your way through the game takes the satisfaction away?

Personally, I am an old school RPGer. I love whatching my character grow, my skill and power increase. I love that I can now easily take down an Atrox when they were once a feared beast to me.

Perhaps the above poster is feeling unsatisfied because he bought everything in the game rather than earning it (I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it...).

So maybe the people who want to play the game, rather than make an investment should think very carefully about how much they deposit. It could ruin the game for you.

That's my two cents for the day.

Mandu

you are right. I was going to depo so I could buy a mk5, but now Im thinking that it would be much smarter to just loot one :rolleyes: or why stop at a mk5 you ask.. lets go for a imk2 and all the supremacy parts and a mod fap, they still loot you know :D

You have a point there, from my perspective anyway.

I hate to buy armour..I'd much rather loot it myself, this requires skill increases (which I'd rather not chip and haven't yet), this gives me mini missions to complete ...currently trying to finish gremlin and vigi sets of armour (two types allow me to change mobs and not get too bored). Once I have backtracked and completed all my armour sets again ...I'll be back to attempting the next one up which will keep me busy for a year or two if it's Bear, or bore me daft if it's crafted like Orca. Gotta have a target though I think.

I'd love to craft or loot everything but it would take forever and be boring as hell, so I understand why some folk prefer to go that route.

A year of paying subs would have been like renting a house ...wasted money I wouldn't see again. EU may cost in time or deposits but we do have something at the end of it that's worth something, I don't think that's true in other MMORPGs .

t

Not depositing = choosing what to hunt very wisely, mining, close to 0 peds spent in crafting
I have not deposited and have played for more than year now have 55k skills and so on... but i will deposit as soon as i get a decent work IRL because trust me its not more fun to hunt 2-3 different mobs instead of 50+ to mine in special places and know every meter of that landscape while not seeing how a crafting global looks like at all. You can try to pay less thou, i can bet that paying 100$ and getting nothing after a week is not too much fun.

This type of post will get several different responses from several different people. There are so many different views on this and there are several different ways people play the game.

Some don't depo and just play as cheap as they can. Some depo huge amounts and treat the game as an investment. Then all the others in between these areas.

(Warning here, this reply got a little long winded, please forgive me.)

To be honest, I did depo the first year whenever I felt like it and even tho I knew it was wrong and I would end up paying for it in the end I was reckless.

Needless to say, the interest rate on the credit card, the quilt of stupidity, and the "not" so happy wife changed the way I play drastically.

The way I was playing had become just to costly, and I was never in a position of having great weapons or armor, just average stuff. But I mined, hunted, and crafted all at the same time and it was just a constant drain that even globals and the occasional hof could not balance out. When I had to put the brakes on the credit card, resolve things with the wife, and get my actual real life back in control I was broke in game. I mean dead broke.

So, I knew I wanted to still play, knew I could not depo, and knew the only thing I had of value was skills to sell. At that time an esi was like 80 ped, and after checking some post here I quessed I need around a hundred of them. Sold my items and started chipping out buying a couple of esi at a time. It was a horrid experience with multiple times experiencing bugs. At that time when you inserted the esi you payed decay and had to remove the esi and pay decay, not like today where the chip comes out on its own. Dozens of time the chip would go in and not come out. But that's another story, back to the point I'm really trying to make here.

All in all, the cost of all those esi's and decay did not make me well off really, but I still had not learned my lesson and started crafting junk again and watched it all go down the drain. When I reached 2k ped I finally woke up and told myself this has got to stop. Sold the crafting skills and bp's, bought armor and went back to hunting.

Now the whole long drawn out point to my rambling is, I think you have a very legitimate point. I deposited over 6k usd in my first year and ended up broke, my bad luck I guess. I have not deposited for over a year now and float around 1k ped on my card all the time by simply playing realistic.

I don't have a super armor or guns, don't have a million points in skills, but I am able to play everyday for a few hours and have enjoyment. Much more enjoyment then my first year when I just deposited and bought whatever when I felt like it.

Now, it is part of the challenge, the thrill of playing to stay in the plus on the ped card. I kill drones, warriors, and troopers only, gave up on animals. So I run around in shogun, which is like tt food, and 6a plates, Use a korss, a bravo to tag and fap 2350. Sure I die sometimes but usually only when critted. But thats all part of the challenge. To see just how much you can accomplish on a low end budget.

I think you are so right here, when you can just buy anything you want and do anything you want, some of the enjoyment may leave.

This game is so complex and boundless that possiblities are almost endless. When things are going terrible for you in game some say to take a break for a few days or a few weeks. I'm not so sure you should have to. Maybe the only thing you need to do is change the way you do things, if you mine and get crap returns, cut that down. If you craft and constanly lose, just stop for awhile and decide if it's really worth it to you to continue in that area. And as far as huntig goes, well thats the hardest one because of the vast amounts of choices of mobs we have to choose from. If you are on small mobs maybe change to a bigger mob or if your on big mobs change to smaller ones, I dunno really. Hunting is just so much of a luck factor.

Anyways, please forgive me for this long drawn out reply. I guess your point really hit me and I needed to express it. I'll put a rambling warning at the top.

I think you made an excellent post my friend.

Anyways, please forgive me for this long drawn out reply. I guess your point really hit me and I needed to express it. I'll put a rambling warning at the top.

I think you made an excellent post my friend.

Well thank you.

I was reminded by the original post about a gaming magazine article I read. It was talking about the micro economy on the next gen consoles. Being able to buy extra levels, demo games etc. Some games even go so far as to let you buy new equipment. The author (Sorry I forget the magazine and the author) then sarcastically said "for $75 bucks you can automatically beat the game and see the credits."

Depositing large sums to buy uber gear and skill feels a little like that to me. I prefer to grind it out. But I'm boring like that. :)

Mandu

A year of paying subs would have been like renting a house ...wasted money I wouldn't see again. EU may cost in time or deposits but we do have something at the end of it that's worth something, I don't think that's true in other MMORPGs .

t

In EU all is about Money, and that is a problem. As you sad, if you put down alot of time in a ordínary MMO you feel that you have wasted youre time. But the thing about a game, is that you are suposed to play for fun, it should be something you do when you have some time over, shouldnt it? So many people in EU is just here for the cash, i play couse it has great potential to be awsome, but i also play other MMO:s, and i have ATLEAST as fun there as i have in EU.

Thats is whats so great in ordinary MMO:s, the players are there for the gameplay, not the money, the companys that makes the games tryes to always improve the gameplay, not the ability to make more money.

In EU all is about Money, and that is a problem. As you sad, if you put down alot of time in a ordínary MMO you feel that you have wasted youre time. But the thing about a game, is that you are suposed to play for fun, it should be something you do when you have some time over, shouldnt it? So many people in EU is just here for the cash, i play couse it has great potential to be awsome, but i also play other MMO:s, and i have ATLEAST as fun there as i have in EU.

Thats is whats so great in ordinary MMO:s, the players are there for the gameplay, not the money, the companys that makes the games tryes to always improve the gameplay, not the ability to make more money.

I like to think that eventually, once the game mechanics are finally nailed down, after cryengine is implemented, after the big bugs are fixed......

that there will be a story elements and events. That there will be more entertainment in game than what we will provide ourselves. I read a teaser here on the forum about the expansion of the universe that would include new planets and space pirates. If we get real money and immersive game play, that would be the ultimate gaming experience in my opinion. Cryengine will be the first step in that direction.

But still, I will deposit only after careful thought and consideration of how it will affect my gaming experience. It's no fun to use a new toy I didn't work for.

That is an awesome post. It is truth shining brilliantly into the darkness of MindArk. It is a truth in all games. And it puts an exacting light on the evil that is MindArk.

Job well done and plus rep.

Personally, I think it is simple, to play Entropia, you always pay. Either you fork out a lot of cash, or you pay with giving a lot of time. But of course, you do get fun in return, hopefully :)

Personally, I think it is simple, to play Entropia, you always pay. Either you fork out a lot of cash, or you pay with giving a lot of time. But of course, you do get fun in return, hopefully :)

Persoally, I find it incredibly enjoyable to watch my avatar grow over time. Even if it is VERY slowly.

But in 10 years, I will be UBER!!!! :cool:

Back