FYI: How each individual mob kill performance affect your optimal loot (small research)

Bynkm

Mature
From what we already know about loot 2.0 there's such a thing called Optimal loot. As described by MA in their dev blogs it can be measured by non-shrapnel to shrapnel ratio and plays a big role in obtaining valuable loot. Achieving optimal loot is more desirable as we usually want drops that have more markup than shrapnel. They also told us there are numerous factors related to that such as overkill, healing between mob attacks etc.

When we hunt a mob there are lots of things we cannot directly control. Like we cannot predict if we're gonna kill the next mob with 2 crits or he's gonna dodge 5 times in a row. Or we can suddenly crit on the last shot thus creating huge overkill.

Knowing that I decided to do some testing to compare loot between various individual mobs which we've killed in a different ways. For example the loot for all mobs which we've killed fast (in few shots) might be different compared to the case when mob have evaded multiple times. Or not.

The main hypothesis is: does the chance of obtaining valuable item from an individual mob depends on how we've killed that individual mob..

Spoiler for geeks
The script I used for analysis is written in R language. You may have a source code here https://pastebin.com/50NSg39W
The idea of method is to perform a 2x2 contingency test on how many times we've looted / not looted our desired item vs how many kills we've made in a special / non-special way. That kind of test is designed to work even on small sample sizes thus not requiring us to kill millions of mobs. Since it is 2x2 test all 2 factors must be boolean. So the "special" way of killing a mob must be also defined in a boolean manner.

1st test: all questions about rare pleak wing distribution were answered NO

Here are some preliminary results of the 2nd test.
For the 2nd test I used TT pistol, no amps,no pills, no Ares on 10hp Vixens
The results are quite different than in case of pleaks so at least this approach can be used as a method to determine if an item drops like a mission token or as natural loot.

Do we have dirrerent chance of looting Vixen Andriod Gear ifAnswerHow certain we are about that answerEstimated multiplier to an average chance of looting the item
We've killed the mob in exactly 3 shotsYES99.4%1.455
We've killed the mob in 5 or more shotsYES99.2%0.482
We've landed all shots on the mobYES99.1%1.512
The mob evaded/dodged/jammed our attack at least onceYES99.1%0.66
The mob evaded/dodged/jammed our attack at least twiceYES99.1%0.387

As we can see the results of having good/bad loot from each single mob strongly depend on how the mob was killed.
In some extreme case we have 2.5x less chance of looting an item if mob has evaded twice.
This shows strong influence of RNG on the results.
This will require killing many mobs before evaluating your loot composition.
Also this will be an extra factor when evaluating loot patterns as the item may not drop even if its loot wave time simply because of bad RNG.

Update #3: I've killed 50% more mobs than it was in test 2 and combined the results.
That just lead to more overall confidence with highest being 99.92%.

Last edited:
From my experience using a weapon that massively overkills a mob results in pure shrapnel, not a single pec of any other item or resource. This was using a 366 dmg weapon on 30 hp shinkibas so may be outside your data range

Kudos for the effort, just two points to consider:

A crit on the last shot does not change your cost to kill for that mob if it was damaged enough to have died anyway.

As for the chosen test mob, I'm not sure if Rare Pleak Wing drop rates aren't determined in a different, even hand-crafted way. They are more like mission tokens.

Last edited:
As for the chosen test mob, I'm not sure if Rare Pleak Wing drop rates aren't determined in a different, even hand-crafted way. They are more like mission tokens.
Rare pleak wing are mission item they drops at similar rate (1 per 9-10 kills on average) whatever weapon you use.

Well i have also done some testing on pleaks using lp40 perfected 49 max dmg vs 10 hp ....

Few observations i have :
1. I was getting optimal loot occasionally when it was going down in first shot.

2. When ever i was landing crit and no dodges shrapnel was lower and was getting optimal loot.

3. When ever i got dodges it was shrapnel only.

4. Drop rate of pleak wings were based on kills (1 per 9-10 kills)
________

Also did another test on these using kinetic chip 9 (max dmg 126 vs hp 10)

Loot was shrapnel only and droprate of pleak wings were similar.

** by optimal loot here i mean muscle oil and animal oil residue

Ok, I'll redo the tests on different mob as there are concerns that pleak wings may be a mission item with somewhat fixed droprate.

Thank you for this, plus explaining your logic in the spoiler of the op. In my opinion, many tests carried out are flawed in some way, but without the 'logic' info, it becomes harder to identify.
What I see is that various loots have different rules for dropping. Some higher markup loot is even set to a low composition value, but is also capped per mob, i.e. individual drop. If you find one of those, you may find that your shrap share goes up with average kill cost and animal res goes down, but that mu item may stay remarkably similar. It may be the case that pleak wings are in the exact same loot system, but set closer to how I have outlined.
Good luck! ;)

Back