How expensive is this Mayhem for you?

Tumeroide
I'm not in the game very long (~ 1,5 years since I rejoined The Universe) but I've done my share of shooting in that time. As a fan of the grinding nature of the Mayhem events I was looking forward to this Merry Mayhem. Even more so after the Halloween Mayhem where after the Mayhem I was left with ~95% of what I started with. A price I'm gladly willing to pay with the amount of fun I get out if it. Unfortunatelly this Merry Mayhem is turning out to be the most expensive mayhem so far for me. Some general numbers to clarify why I have this impression:
Time spend in event area: ~30 hours
Ammo at start to cycle: ~2000 PED
PED added to cycle since start: ~1500
Strongboxes opened since start: ~200
Ammo at the moment left to cycle: ~500 PED

I'm shooting with a LR-55 + 45B combo with Bjornir Scope, Hunnir Laser sight, and P20 extender attached in the Merry Annihilation 4 and Merry Annihilation 5 areas.

I know this game has his highs and lows. But this low seems particularly low over a very short time to me. I am used to dry spells. Up till now I've always been able to ride out this dry spells with a sufficient amount of PED to cycle. But this time it is such a big amount of money (for me) in such a short time that it's not fun anymore. So I was wondering if some of you encoutered this before or even with this mayhem? And what did you do to overcome this (if there is a way)?

Disclaimer: I'm not here to complain. I know playing this game costs money and making a profit is only for a happy few.

you runn a setup that costs mu on a event that gives you shrp as main loot,

its impossible for you to cover the mu lost on limited items

it wuld help using a decent ul weapon

but you still lose a ton

a little not acurate example
you hunt with 2000 ped , system will eat 60 ped (3%) (thats very optimistic)
lets say you pay like 10 - 15 ped mu on the weapon, and another 10 ped on the amp
every time you brake your weapon and amp you lose another 20 ped
bumps you up to 80 ped loss

now count that up to a second or third hunt you end up losing 160 ped total on the second hunt and 240 to the third

the problem is not the system, the problem is the mu

box price went down to beyond hell, impossible to cover your losses with the mu dropping in a event

actualy you need to put way more then 2000 ped in amo just to increase your luck on a great return hof in order to see a little profit after selling the mu

thats what people call rule of large numbers (in my opinion total bullshit because a large number can be 1000 loot events but it also can be 100.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000loot events)

Well thats a pretty harsh way to put it, it's a losing setup which he acknowledges and he just wants to play for fun and to maybe get lucky seems he just had a below average run and is tilted which is relateable. I think a lot of people say they are ok with losing until they start losing then it kinda hits different. If it's getting too expensive or isn't fun anymore stop and do something else cus the chance it gets better is much lower than the chance it just continues as it is with the setup/BR you posted

[Moderated: Removed reply to deleted post]

I'm not in the game very long (~ 1,5 years since I rejoined The Universe) but I've done my share of shooting in that time. As a fan of the grinding nature of the Mayhem events I was looking forward to this Merry Mayhem. Even more so after the Halloween Mayhem where after the Mayhem I was left with ~95% of what I started with. A price I'm gladly willing to pay with the amount of fun I get out if it. Unfortunatelly this Merry Mayhem is turning out to be the most expensive mayhem so far for me. Some general numbers to clarify why I have this impression:
Time spend in event area: ~30 hours
Ammo at start to cycle: ~2000 PED
PED added to cycle since start: ~1500
Strongboxes opened since start: ~200
Ammo at the moment left to cycle: ~500 PED

I'm shooting with a LR-55 + 45B combo with Bjornir Scope, Hunnir Laser sight, and P20 extender attached in the Merry Annihilation 4 and Merry Annihilation 5 areas.

I know this game has his highs and lows. But this low seems particularly low over a very short time to me. I am used to dry spells. Up till now I've always been able to ride out this dry spells with a sufficient amount of PED to cycle. But this time it is such a big amount of money (for me) in such a short time that it's not fun anymore. So I was wondering if some of you encoutered this before or even with this mayhem? And what did you do to overcome this (if there is a way)?

Disclaimer: I'm not here to complain. I know playing this game costs money and making a profit is only for a happy few.

You have nice amount of money invested, don't listen to this people who has 0 knowledge about the game.

Your main goal should be getting UL weapon, doesn't has to be huge dps, and 2k ped bankroll can go far.

If you need help with selecting weapon/setup feel free to pm me in game, I will help you out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what your looter level is but I would expect 94-95% TT return with a setup like that.

I would suggest to move down it cat maybe even cat 1. Even though the mobs have low level they still have quite a lot of HP and the swings can be very large.

ArMatrix (L) is an option but I would at least use an UL amp. And select weapons based on what MU you can find. Helps to be able to switch between BLP and laser, pistol/rifle, based on the currently lowest MU. Make sure to check out shops or crafters to get lower MU (not just AH).
Buying items during mayhem is a pain though... Ideally you need to stock up before mayhem.
Getting an UL gun is of course optimal but also a big investment.

Loses can mount quite quickly when you're paying high markup and getting none in return. When mayhem loot starts to turn sour don't bank on a hof to save you, change to hunt something else for a while.

Play the long game with boxes too. Ring is crap so boxes are cheap...this year. But those same boxes you hold in storage could be worth twice as much next year.

And FYI: This is my worst run in Mayhem so for:
3526.322606.59-919.7373.92%

But overall I'm at 95%.
100K cycled, 80% eff, 46 looter.
Mostly in Cat 1.

if we're being generous OP is shooting with approx 3.24% markup input assuming no enhancers. Adding even more worthless decay to that with scopes/sights and he's got even lower dpp now which harms his markup output.

if we assume at that dpp the standard box rate of 1 box per 95 ped and 1 token per 35 ped, not withstanding mission rewards because OP has literally 2k of bankroll to kill 6+ ped mobs, we end up with an average markup output just under 5%.

avg returns = 97% (op uses average gear with below-average skills)

3.2% markup input lowers that to 92.8% net returns on average

5% markup gets OP to 97.8% TT return. he's losing 2.2% of everything he shoots. Not that it would matter because OP again has only 2k ped to shoot and is determined to shoot higher-cost-to-kill mobs instead of sitting in cat 1 w/ adj mk2 and imp a105 where he belongs.

again.... do dumb stuff and get dumb results. OP is not a new player and should know all of this and be able to do some 4th grade math to figure out where he's going to end up. Everyone plays the game for different reasons but OP's behavior is what i'd expect from a casual "for fun" player, not someone worried about bankroll and returns since everything he does is counterintuitive to that goal.

most replies comments related to my inital (harsh) post really makes it clear that the winners are playing an entirely different game than the losers. it's not even about investing $ as i made this game work for me for a very small investment with mediocre gear, as did others who are looked up to now like evey and messi. you invest when you want to scale up, it's not a requirement.

There's several threads in here about succeeding on a budget or low investment already, namely $5's bankroll management thread. but literally OP is trying to go from a couch to the olympic 500m relay, and choosing to do so with bricks strapped to his feet and then complaining about why he's not winning.

Edit: OP never mentioned how many boxes and tokens he looted an the ped value of those at 2p/box and 1p/token, so already the mindset is wrong. i can't believe we need to reiterate this again but you will not make money against the TT, even with the best gear in game you will always lose TT. The company would go bankrupt otherwise. you have to make money off of selling loot to other players. that is it.

Last edited:
160k ped cycled, UL gear at 66% efficiency, lvl 57 looter and 87% tt return so far in cat 4-6. for me. So 20,8k ped loss in TT (rewards included as I count them as loot). I can only say that bankroll management is important, this event has really pushed my pedcard to the test.

Judging by the size of the globals/hofs from various categories, either the number of players is extremely high or the higher multis of 1k and above are taking up a much higher chunk of payouts than normal (but are still rare). Personally my normal [loot] distribution below 1x cost has been vastly on the below 50% side - i.e. less than 3 peds [returned] out of 6 peds cost, and low on the multis of x10 and above too. Winners will be the ones lucky to get 1k before they lose 1k, for example, of which there will be more than usual. However, there will also be greater numbers of those who only see 60-70% returns. MU losses from equipment plays a role of course, but a diminished one with the payout spread I believe we are seeing.

Last edited:
trophy.png
Merry Annihilation Daikiba 011 152 PEDSun, 19 Dec 2021 00:28:36
Merry Annihilation Daikiba 0172 PEDFri, 17 Dec 2021 01:41:30
Merry Annihilation Daikiba 0150 PEDThu, 16 Dec 2021 04:56:41
Merry Annihilation Daikiba 0183 PEDSun, 12 Dec 2021 05:56:31
trophy.png
Merry Annihilation Daikiba 015 209 PEDSat, 11 Dec 2021 23:12:14
Merry Annihilation Daikiba 0153 PEDSat, 11 Dec 2021 18:22:52
Merry Annihilation Daikiba 0154 PEDFri, 10 Dec 2021 01:33:13
It's a player whose spread has been the above...

if we're being generous OP is shooting with approx 3.24% markup input assuming no enhancers. Adding even more worthless decay to that with scopes/sights and he's got even lower dpp now which harms his markup output.

if we assume at that dpp the standard box rate of 1 box per 95 ped and 1 token per 35 ped, not withstanding mission rewards because OP has literally 2k of bankroll to kill 6+ ped mobs, we end up with an average markup output just under 5%.

avg returns = 97% (op uses average gear with below-average skills)

3.2% markup input lowers that to 92.8% net returns on average

5% markup gets OP to 97.8% TT return. he's losing 2.2% of everything he shoots. Not that it would matter because OP again has only 2k ped to shoot and is determined to shoot higher-cost-to-kill mobs instead of sitting in cat 1 w/ adj mk2 and imp a105 where he belongs.

again.... do dumb stuff and get dumb results. OP is not a new player and should know all of this and be able to do some 4th grade math to figure out where he's going to end up. Everyone plays the game for different reasons but OP's behavior is what i'd expect from a casual "for fun" player, not someone worried about bankroll and returns since everything he does is counterintuitive to that goal.

most replies comments related to my inital (harsh) post really makes it clear that the winners are playing an entirely different game than the losers. it's not even about investing $ as i made this game work for me for a very small investment with mediocre gear, as did others who are looked up to now like evey and messi. you invest when you want to scale up, it's not a requirement.

There's several threads in here about succeeding on a budget or low investment already, namely $5's bankroll management thread. but literally OP is trying to go from a couch to the olympic 500m relay, and choosing to do so with bricks strapped to his feet and then complaining about why he's not winning.

Edit: OP never mentioned how many boxes and tokens he looted an the ped value of those at 2p/box and 1p/token, so already the mindset is wrong. i can't believe we need to reiterate this again but you will not make money against the TT, even with the best gear in game you will always lose TT. The company would go bankrupt otherwise. you have to make money off of selling loot to other players. that is it.
What's that movie quote? Oh yeah...
"You're not wrong... you're just an asshole"

Could at least be less of a dick in your response.

Merry Annihilation 4 and Merry Annihilation 5 areas.

Is there a reason only these Cats? Do you have some goals you are trying to accomplish like finish a mission?

I think those Cats seems high for you. I'd like to see you get more loot signals in lower Cats. I found it's very easy to get my feelings hurt quickly in higher Cats when the 200-300 ped Globals don't come. I'm sure some will grind out specific Cats for long hours but for myself find it better to move around. If the Cat I'm in feels bad after 30mins I'm outta there, I'll kill the Hispisdus and move on. Maybe I'll drop down too Cat 2 for 30 mins maybe take a break come back run pills do a higher Cat and stay in there if the loot looks good.

I just think you should be checking out the Cat 2-3's and poking there too especially with your Dps and not bangin your head against the wall grinding out 4-5 Cats. Sure it might eventually pay off but I have always done better by stopping when it's bad and changing Cats.

I was doing ok, until Ma decided this isnt for you anymore , so no globals no payback . I logged off . there is other things in life
besides I did mayhem to get some quick codex up till lvl 24 from 0 so cant complain

To answer the main question, it wasn't expensive for the casual player i am. (then from one player to another this is subjective)

I spent roughly 20 hours in the Category 1 and have lost something like 300 peds total.
(reached Codex Rank 15, 8400 points+ and stage 7 progress)

The amount of skills gain was very interesting though.

MM is expensive af for me too. All unl, 60ish eff, but 94% return. I simply havent gotten any good globals/hofs, nothing over 250 aside from, i think, one 5xx? In 170k cycled.

I think you, and I for that matter, are more the norm than people like alina above, at least from what ive heard anecdotally? If youre fine with the mu loss, then i think your return is in line with what ma wants?

Not sure why rocket is being a dick here, usually I saw you say reasonable things, politelly? Bad day m8? Anyway, yeah op is wasting some peds in mu, and he could fix it but he is asking about tt return and even tho the 2k cycle is a little small for a 1500hp mob, i think him asking for others experience on a gd forum is exactly what youd expect, no need to rip him apart. We all come here to share the MA-inflicted pain. xD

Maybe take sulje up on his offer, or chat with some others and see but i think you are experiencing what MA envisioned. If thats what it "should be" or not is another discussion but i think your ava isnt broken at least xD

Please ignore this bullshit, I hope mods do their job and remove this.

You have nice amount of money invested, don't listen to this people who has 0 knowledge about the game.

Your main goal should be getting UL weapon, doesn't has to be huge dps, and 2k ped bankroll can go far.

If you need help with selecting weapon/setup feel free to pm me in game, I will help you out.
No, rocket is right. Please review the thread here on PCF on risk of ruin. Seems it needs an update now that Mindark made things more volatile this year.

From reading the hunting blogs on this forum the profession seems to be near impossible to break even in if you are using limited or unlimited weapons with low-medium efficiency.
That's a big fat no from me, dawg. So wrong.

MM is expensive af for me too. All unl, 60ish eff, but 94% return. I simply havent gotten any good globals/hofs, nothing over 250 aside from, i think, one 5xx? In 170k cycled.

Lucky You, wish my highest on MM would have been 5xx :)
117k cycle, 94,75% return with 81% eff, MU still covers the TT loss, without a single L item drop yet.

Back