Info: How I Fixed the Lag

as far I see they did not even tell you it is not allowed, just that they don't promote 3rd party services - the answer was clumsy as usual
again VPN does not even require a third party tool, support for some more common protocols is built into OS
so there is no way they can prohibit to use a VPN to anyone, it is part of the network stack

Hmmmm, maybe I’ll try if the lag makes me grumpy again

Hmmmm, maybe I’ll try if the lag makes me grumpy again

As said previously, if you try just e-mail support with the IP range of the VPN you will be using. There will not be any issues unless you start using 100 different VPN servers (and specifically, different VPN server country locations). Even then, the most they will do is temporarily lock your account until you explain why you have logins from (seemingly) random countries.

So it's all about routing between your ISP and the ISP that hosts MA's rig. I know an Amsterdamer living just a dozen km away from them and lagging badly, and his traceroute, amazingly, is 2 times longer than mine and jumps all over the Europe. Meanwhile there is barely any routing between me and the servers, me being thousands kilometers from them:

tracert.jpg

The 5 servers I blurred out belong to my ISP and are located in my city, the 6th hop covers the whole distance, and all the remaining servers belong to GTT's network that holds MA servers. It helps that my ISP is largest in my country and controls most of the outbound networks, and GTT is one of the largest in the world and essentially is one of the Tier 1 backbone providers of the Internet.

Mine looks even slightly better although I'm more than twice as far from Amsterdam.

Tracing route to login.entropiauniverse.com [178.237.32.79]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms <removed>
3 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms <removed>
4 2 ms 2 ms 3 ms <removed>
5 2 ms 1 ms 2 ms <removed>
6 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms <removed>
7 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms stk-tct-b1-ae5-vlan3702.fiord.net [62.140.245.130]
8 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms amsterdam-nik-b1-xe0-0-3-vlan540.fiord.net [93.191.9.202]
9 26 ms 25 ms 28 ms 80.249.211.217
10 26 ms 26 ms 28 ms a3938.mindark.atom86.net [178.237.32.79]

Trace complete.

6th hop is Fiord's node in my country. My ISP is small but has been serving our ghetto for 20+ years.

And yes, Fiord is technically a Russian company but that doesn't mean it's routing everything through Kremlin. :)

I'm curious why my hunting session would typically start out ok, and I think, oh boy, lag is gone! Then a few mobs in its back to same old lag problem.

277 hp, 61 evade, its embarrassing having to hunt tiny mobs just to keep from dying before I can finally get off a heal... that is, IF I can get off a heal... The good news is, its saving me a ton of peds! :wtg:

Never forget that MA is not Blizzard, they don't run anything nearly as complex. I remember a photo of their rig from 10 years ago, it was 6U-8U sized at most. It most likely has grown since then by not by far. There are no rows of servers like people imagine it. Everyone enters through the same authentication server and ends up on same area servers as everyone else (right now I'm in a FFA instance with 4 other guys, I have no lag and they barely can shoot and swear a lot).

So it's all about routing between your ISP and the ISP that hosts MA's rig. I know an Amsterdamer living just a dozen km away from them and lagging badly, and his traceroute, amazingly, is 2 times longer than mine and jumps all over the Europe. Meanwhile there is barely any routing between me and the servers, me being thousands kilometers from them:

tracert.jpg

The 5 servers I blurred out belong to my ISP and are located in my city, the 6th hop covers the whole distance, and all the remaining servers belong to GTT's network that holds MA servers. It helps that my ISP is largest in my country and controls most of the outbound networks, and GTT is one of the largest in the world and essentially is one of the Tier 1 backbone providers of the Internet. I don't doubt that's the reason I don't lag. And Xen did pretty much the same (and got lucky with the exit point, as my NL friend's example shows that just being in NL is not enough).

As for the risks of using VPN - whole countries use them, how do you think all the Chinese players get to Entropia? Certainly not directly through all the restrictions of their great firewall. And no one bans them.

Tracing route to login.entropiauniverse.com [178.237.32.81]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 140 ms 140 ms 141 ms 172.21.32.1
2 144 ms 143 ms 144 ms 81.171.57.253
3 145 ms 141 ms 140 ms 80.249.211.217
4 153 ms 148 ms 143 ms a3938.mindark.atom86.net [178.237.32.81]

Trace complete.

Zero lag going through this VPN server. Seems like it may be in the same hosting facility. :cool:

By the way, not banned yet.

That's one nice traceroute, certainly MA themselves have nothing close to that :cool:

while this solution may not be within the framework of ToU,... maybe it gives developers an idea as to how things could/might be fixed?

thanks for the effort, and i hope you dont get shit on...

maybe you can win 100 ped if it leads to a legit fix?

Never forget that MA is not Blizzard, they don't run anything nearly as complex. I remember a photo of their rig from 10 years ago, it was 6U-8U sized at most. It most likely has grown since then by not by far. There are no rows of servers like people imagine it. Everyone enters through the same authentication server and ends up on same area servers as everyone else (right now I'm in a FFA instance with 4 other guys, I have no lag and they barely can shoot and swear a lot).

tracert.jpg

The 5 servers I blurred out belong to my ISP and are located in my city, the 6th hop covers the whole distance, and all the remaining servers belong to GTT's network that holds MA servers. It helps that my ISP is largest in my country and controls most of the outbound networks, and GTT is one of the largest in the world and essentially is one of the Tier 1 backbone providers of the Internet. I don't doubt that's the reason I don't lag. And Xen did pretty much the same (and got lucky with the exit point, as my NL friend's example shows that just being in NL is not enough).

As for the risks of using VPN - whole countries use them, how do you think all the Chinese players get to Entropia? Certainly not directly through all the restrictions of their great firewall. And no one bans them.

mindark.atom86.net ... So they run a Intel atom in their servers :D
/s

But seriously I tried the VPN and it was a lot less laggy

Cant ban you for using vpn. They can ban you for altering packets.

I was tempted but reserved to try it so I contacted support & after I asked if I was allowed to use a vpn, they said, use it at your own risk

I was tempted but reserved to try it so I contacted support & after I asked if I was allowed to use a vpn, they said, use it at your own risk

I'm as reserved as you about trying, however as the days pass by more and more it makes me want to try...

I'd love to be able to heal myself again...

I noticed that most or all of the people experiencing The Lag (the specific type of lag we've had for a few months) were further away from the servers. Since I can't move to the Netherlands (I think that's where the servers are located) I thought maybe I could pretend to be close and that might help.

So, in short:

1. I subscribed to a paid VPN service.

2. I connected to a server in the Netherlands.

3. I logged into EU.

Result: No lag! No :censored: lag at all! :woot:

No lag every 30 seconds or so for 3-5 seconds where nothing happens. No tool/weapon switching lag. No spawning way above the ground when entering a MM instance. No auction lag!
It was glorious! :yay:

I've tested it for about 6 hours in MM FFA instances, no lag ever, no stutter (up to 93 attacks/minute weapon), no disconnects. My in game ping didn't really change. I can't guarantee it will work as well for everyone or solve all issues but it definitely works for me.

The Details:

After some research I decided to try IPVanish VPN service. It costs $10 per month, or 25% off ($7.50) if you go to https://www.cnet.com/best-vpn-services-directory/ and click on the IPVanish link (it's the first review), then on the IPVanish page click on the c|net 25% off banner near the top. They have a 7-day money-back guarantee. They even take Bitcoin (don't know if refund is possible with that). If you decide to try this method I don't know if other VPN services would work as well, I've only used this one. I do know that the free VPN services are always crap. Don't try it with a free service and come back here and say it doesn't work please.

Once you download the software, install and run and you will see this:

ipvanish.jpg

Don't use Quick Connect. On the left select the Server List tab as shown, then select Netherlands. That's it, log in.

If you try it please post your results here in this thread.

-----

If some from MA reads this, this should be a big clue for fixing the problem.

(Disclaimer: I am not affiliated at all with c|net or IPVanish, just trying to help.)

I have use IPVanish since last 6 month. Good test

Back