How long do you think MA will survive?

Status
Any of those big global companies would have shut down the servers for good on several occasions already. Look at the project history of all those companies, if something doesn't take off rather fast it gets abandoned.

You can say about MindArk management what you want but a rather small company is the only way i see how such a project could have survived all those years and how it will survive for many more.

As a player i don't like the planet partner concept because it ruins the homogeneity of the experience but i think it is the best way to keep the platform provider small and let other (also rather small) companies manage what MindArk is not good at, or rather, does not care to be good at.

I trust an compound of small companies way more with the future developement of EU then any big global player.

I disagree ! For example if Sony had this on the Playstation 3 the first thing you wouldnt have is the player base paying through the nose for MA to develope this Beta experience! Imagine the benefit of tens of thousands actually playing and participating in this economy? A large company like Sony could easily afford the development and they wouldnt have to !!!! thier clients in order to develope future expansion and that means you have a happier community because everyone can afford to play.Plus the opportunity to advertise ingame other products and services plus promotional events for Sony movies and music could be huge!Entropia Universe could be a truly awesome entertainment platform. Entropians the Movie is starting in 20 minutes head to your Entropia theatre now :yup: Awesome! Holy crap i just looted rl movie tickets ? Sweet !

I know MA and Calypso will stay to excist for a loooong time to come, since this thread has, how much? 8 pages? in just a few days. So many people care enough to stay :)

That, and I heared this tiresome old story since 2002 over and over and over again* and yet, its 2012, ten years later and we still are throwing dollars to the game.

*I might have mentioned the same concern some 8 years ago.. lol

Am I seeing a thread like this every month or so?

I disagree ! For example if Sony had this on the Playstation 3 the first thing you wouldnt have is the player base paying through the nose for MA to develope this Beta experience! Imagine the benefit of tens of thousands actually playing and participating in this economy? A large company like Sony could easily afford the development and they wouldnt have to !!!! thier clients in order to develope future expansion and that means you have a happier community because everyone can afford to play.Plus the opportunity to advertise ingame other products and services plus promotional events for Sony movies and music could be huge!Entropia Universe could be a truly awesome entertainment platform. Entropians the Movie is starting in 20 minutes head to your Entropia theatre now :yup: Awesome! Holy crap i just looted rl movie tickets ? Sweet !

You disagree but did not address the concern i voiced in my post. What you write here is just your fantasy how a big company might handle things. If Sony would want a real RCE game and all the hassle that comes with it for a big company, then they would have one.

Just a recent example of how big companies handle things, even when it goes well but just not well enough:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?223219-Social-Game-Players-Sue-Google

Nothing lasts forever - this we know. If Rome could fall, then we all can. And if Sparta could fall, then we're pretty much fucked.

After playing ~2 years from 2005 to 2007 or early 2008, I had to make a break due to job/real-life issues and always thought, omg, what if I ever decide to come back...will EU still be there or all my skills/items/money are maybe gone?

I am here again, EU is still here too.

If they don't get hacked, like the Playstation network, and credit-card information from us customers are made public by some Anonymous soc, I see currently (and the future) no reason that they will shut down their servers or lose the major playerbase. Since they control market and ore/enmatter/drop rates, they can easy adjust everything for their benefit, which makes some big depositors deposit big and voila, another 100k Euro/USD to pay the server bill ;)

Chill....most of us probably die before EU does :)

Looking good for 2012

I think MA have become more professional over the last year or so. They’ve had to be, as planet partners with big investments would expect that and demand better PR. This is a good cultural shift for the long term and for the community, it means MA has to manage its business better, which also means the longer term outlook is probably more stable and forecasted better.

I also think MA have attempted to even out ava’s personal loot pools, so your loot swings match your expenditure as it reduces. Rather than cleaning you out in a couple hunts.

If this has had an effect on big uber hunting drops is debateable, it might just mean it takes longer to build a big one..who knows? I’m still waiting for mine, but believe it will come one day.

We’ve come a long way in the last two years, Cryengine was a massive transition. Obviously there're licence feees to run it, but against development costs to build on their own platform it’s probably cheaper in the long term.

Agree you can’t hit a mob with CLD, but I’m a big fan. I think it’s great the online community were given the opportunity to buy into something involved with, rather than MA trying to rasie revenue via another business. I think three or four years down the line, people will be pleased they bought into it. Sure some will say we were only given that opportunity because the sale to another company failed. Then I say “LUCKY US”, and good foresight from MA to believe the community would want it, and could potentially buy Caly.

If anything the business is getting bigger, with more planet partners coming online. This means cost and investment is shared. The business expands faster without all the costs pushed at us little avas. The worry for partners is new people starting on new planets tend to drift to caly. I think the answer is rather than to restrict travel to planets access needs to become more easy not harder. That way the universe as a whole will be used more...but that’s just my opinion. I'm sure as we all get used to the wider environment it will be used much more.

MU on limited items was becoming ridiculous for sure, prices had to fall sometime. I feel genuine sorrow for people who hold items for lower MU than they paid. Often 1000’s of peds lower, even 10’000’s.

Older avas all lost invested money in something, apart from those lucky few who looted the things in the first place.
Hell I lost money on unl IV Fire chip, after MF update for example (sold it at big loss, didnt like the long cool down)
That said I wouldn’t want to go back to old style MF (mindforce), cost far too much to skill it.

I love guns and melee too, and hear good things are in the pipeline for melee. With SIB on items up to level 100 coming.

The RT mess on rare scanner drops was a pain last year, I feel RT was personally reasonable for killing off scanning skilling. Which was something I enjoyed when low on peds. Now it feels it’s hardly worth pulling out a scanner to gain skills. So planet partners as well as MA need to become more responsible and think of the impact across the whole universe before playing games with peoples investments and real money.

That said there have been more improvements in-game than the occasional bad ones. Overall I think the universe has moved on tons. I'm sure EU will be around for a very long time, and if some people could just be a bit more careful how they develop their avatars then maybe in-world experience might be a little happier. I got caught in the trap of spending more than I could afford once...but it was my choice I guess to spend. It was MA choice to pay. I guess the choice to “chase the loot” is our own.

We all love EU, and at times that’s why we moan and curse when we might not feel the love back. But on those very special days, it can feel we are on-top of the world.

Let’s hope that as the community grows the cost per person is less to run the business, and we can all stretch our peds that bit further.

Take care out there folks. May the loot be with you.

Rick England

It will survive much longer than it has already existed, but not forever.

:beerchug:

Miles

Nobody will survive the Dec 2012! ...except for MA and Chuck Norris :cool:

Did anyone noticed that the thread starter already didn't survived, being banned forever? :)

Last edited:
2 weeks, not forever.

Not quite. Turns out he's an alt of a guy who was banned forever. So he joined his previous incarnation in internet purgatory.

Wow, another one of these threads, didn't we have a thread just like this last year?

Although at times i've said that MA might have plan C or D as bankruptcy... I think it's higly unlikely for the near term future.

After giving some thoughts... now I think that EU will survive for long time. As a company MA may not exists (in case of buyout) but EU itself will continue to survive for the following reasons.

1. Unique aspect of RCE. MA is ahead of the game when rce is concerned

2. EU has a core group of addicted players, and they'll keep the game going during times of hardship!

3. Still a lot of potential players can't play this game coz of hardware issues... and that will be over pretty soon.

4. I guess a lot of students who have played or are playing this game now (incase they leave) will come back later once their real life stabilize in their 30s and 40s. I guess this will start to happen in next 5 to 10 yrs!

Wow, another one of these threads, didn't we have a thread just like this last year?

Every year, even in PE times.

But I can understand the interest, lot´s of players made investments and every now and then there are new opportunities, like CLD, space, other planets.

MA will be around as long as it is backed up by one of the richest guys of sweden. :girl:

Mindark and Entropia Universe will survive until June 15th 2068 ... :yup:

What do you believe is the future for MA and the planet partners? Are we going to see any planet vanish because of lack of funds? Is MA going to declare bankruptcy within five years? What do you think and why?

I have not seen any reasons to think that the "end" of MA is in someway closer than say a year ago, rather the opposite. I don't think any planets will disappear, not even next island, they actually do seem to slowly getting their heads around how that game works and what they need to do and have to have a player base on their planet.

It is hard to predict the non-immediate future and direction of technology, something that can have a big impact on survival and expansion of EU.

Who know about Entropia Univers? I asked players in different projects, no one know about it. Where is advertising this project? :scratch2:

LOL logged in to this forum for the first time in many years and found back this thread.
A fun read.

LOL logged in to this forum for the first time in many years and found back this thread.
A fun read.

You can find this thread only if you have it @ bookmark on your browser or set as homepage.
Necro of the century.

Survive forever and ever and ever ^^

Mindark/Entropia survived longer than OP did.. (since he's banned)

3.5 - Necroposting
Pointlessly bumping of dormant, inactive threads causes confusion for other members and visitors who may not notice the original thread post date. A thread is considered inactive if there have been no replies in the last four (4) months.

Status
Back