How to participate if you're banned

And all this crap about politics and power corrupts is paranoid bullshit and you know it. All of the staff at EF put time and effort into the place to help provide the community with a great resource. No-one is here to wield political power, you could get more power by wiring up your testicles to an AAAA battery.

Oh yeah indeed. And afterall we all live in one happy planet with no problems and no corruption whatsover. :rolleyes:

Power and money corrupts, be it a RL Oil company, or an internet forum for RCE game. If let's say we assume this is not happening.

Isn't there at least a thoeretical chance of personal and public interests conflict, when forum owner belongs to top1 society, and has vast interests all over EU?

Isn't there at least a thoeretical chance of personal and public interests conflict, when forum owner belongs to top1 society, and has vast interests all over EU?

Of course that's a possibility. Is there any possibility that the banned users own up to instigating their own ban?

[...]it's more of the MA fault for not having their own official forum, through which all communication with MA representatives could be done.

truer words have not been spoken.

I've never understood why MA didn't have, at least, a read-only forum where they could make announcements, show pictures, run videos of events, cross post or copy useful information from other places, et al.

I guess it's too much work.

As has already been pointed out, EF is not the EU Community, it is part of the EU Community.

If as you say, EF serves as the centre of the community, then we should be thanking Mindbuster and 711 for creating, developing and running it. Occasional bans are an unfortunate necessity in order to keep the place a pleasant place to be.

No-one gets banned for not being friends with the 'right' people. But if you come onto a forum, throw wild allegations at the owner and repeatedly taunt him, what do you expect to happen? If you go to a restaurant and announce that the chef pisses in the food and that the owners wife is ugly and fat what do you expect to happen?

And all this crap about politics and power corrupts is paranoid bullshit and you know it. All of the staff at EF put time and effort into the place to help provide the community with a great resource. No-one is here to wield political power, you could get more power by wiring up your testicles to an AAAA battery.

i didnt say ef was teh center of the comunity, i persoanly feel it is much less so than a year ago, bit thats my feeling i guess

lol @ ur restraunt analogy, very witty ;) but are u telling me u have never seen 1 person banned unjustly? or 1 temp ban that could have been thought out better? thats nonsense. u can accuse me of being paranoid, ur on the staff here, so i dont have a problem with u being defensive at all, thats understandable.

ur right tho, ef has some valuable info, and has had a lot of work put in by many ppl(mostly by us, the community).... i dont see how all that gets damaged by making the event forum public tho.... so it seems a nuts defense

if banned peeps could see the event forums and know what was happening then how would that damage anything? really?

Oh yeah indeed. And afterall we all live in one happy planet with no problems and no corruption whatsover. :rolleyes:

Power and money corrupts, be it a RL Oil company, or an internet forum for RCE game. If let's say we assume this is not happening.

So far , i havent hear about any banned people that are just not liked by warants...
If it was just political , then , cK member would be banned , same for jena , and many other people that one or an other warants dont like.
All banned people i know , did behave pretty wrongly in forum or did somehow insult 711.
It was game for most of them " lets see if that dumb ass will ban me" ...Well seems that he did... but hell , pretty decerved.

Its not about EU polic , it become about getting insulted in your house..
If i was making an open party in my house, anyone can come , no problem , as long as you bahave corectly VS other guest , and you dont come insult me.

Beside that , this forum is private owned , and dont have to alow anyone to see this this or that if the owner dont whant..

He pay the bills , and welcome who ever he wish , as fire out who ever he wich..

this is de-facto official forum for MA, and that's where the problem lies. That's like private company restricting citizens' access to goverment channel.

unless things changed Marco posts on EP too. now if ppl manage to get banned from all forums, are we still suppose to try accomodate them :scratch2:

Is there any possibility that the banned users own up to instigating their own ban?

prolly not it'd be too logical and wouldnt leave enough room to conspiracies,.... :wtg:

What exactly do mean by "personal and public interests conflict"? This forum is free to use and provides an excellent service to the EU community. So what if the forum owner "belongs to top1 society, and has vast interests all over EU". How would that influence your gameplay?

As far as I know the owner of this forum is dedicated to EU and invests a good part of his time and money into his EU interests and also in promoting EU. In my opinion he should be paid by MA for his efforts.

I doubt he spends any time worrying about all the conspiracy theories, rumors of corruption, or non-existant conflicts of interest.

Cheers :beerchug:

After a long time off silence it's time to speak up...

I will not debate over the ownership of this forum and "who-plays-with-how-many-avatars".

My concern is the question about freedom of speech, sure there is rules on this forum and rules are to follow, but when the moderators uses their power to ban people that questions the owner and/or moderators intentions and by that effectivly stops players from participating in events in the game, it has gone way over the line.
Imho this forum has by that lost all it's meaning, not sure what the rest off you think, but when we (as citizens in countries that has freedom off speech in the constitution) can't speak our minds and put our critisism out in the light because the owner/moderators says it against the rules, then this forum is slowly killing itself.
Before I was very positive towards this forum, and therefore recommended lots off people to, maybe not start posting, but at least read it. It has been the major source off knowledge and information, even when I took a break from EU I got back here every day to keep in touch with the game. but the last 6 months it has been going downhill rapidly and I can't honestly say that I find it all that interesting anymore, there is other sources for info.

Now to my point, there is no way that EF (owner or moderators) should have any power over what happens in EU what so ever, the idea of MA paying the owner off this forum for the work he puts in to it is just hilarious, talk about opening the gates and letting the BS run freely. But if EF sponsors or organize an event they should off course be able to set up rules for the event. To be honest I doubt that any off the banned players would participate in a event sponsored by the company or organisation that banned them on almost random, I know I wouldn't.

We have to be allowed to think critical about everything and speak our minds, even concerning EU, without fear off ingame consequences, if we can't be that I have only one thing to say...
FIGHT THE POWER! ;)

(I know... lots and lots off-topic, but somewhere in all this jibbrish I think there is a point)

What exactly do mean by "personal and public interests conflict"? This forum is free to use and provides an excellent service to the EU community. So what if the forum owner "belongs to top1 society, and has vast interests all over EU". How would that influence your gameplay?
This is just hypothetical, because I do not believe 711 engages in such tactics, but: His interests (or that of his soc or members of it) may well conflict with that of others. And he would be totally within his rights to act upon those interests, even to the point of banning people without giving a reason for it. Again, I am convinced he wouldn't. But he could.

I doubt he spends any time worrying about all the conspiracy theories, rumors of corruption, or non-existant conflicts of interest.
I think you underestimate the interests that are at play at the level 711 plays.

This is just hypothetical, because I do not believe 711 engages in such tactics, but: His interests (or that of his soc or members of it) may well conflict with that of others. And he would be totally within his rights to act upon those interests, even to the point of banning people without giving a reason for it. Again, I am convinced he wouldn't. But he could.

I agree its hypothetical...

I think you underestimate the interests that are at play at the level 711 plays.

Maybe I do underestimate them, but I have no reason to think otherwise with the information I have. Can you name one conflict of interest? I cannot...

Cheers :beerchug:

I agree its hypothetical...
Good. Because it shows that it really is an unwanted situation (none of which is MB's and later 711's fault) that a privately owned forum is the de-facto publishing medium of MA.

Maybe I do underestimate them, but I have no reason to think otherwise with the information I have. Can you name one conflict of interest? I cannot...
I'm pretty sure you're about as old as I am (in-game). If you talk to enough advanced players, about advanced gear, about LA's, shops, LG's, you should know what I am referring to. I am not going to name them, as it would just create controversy and open up more than one can of worms. Also, it would be off-topic.
It could be that you're just not interested in this side of the game, I know I wasn't for a long time, and so I had no idea. But it's there alright.

but are u telling me u have never seen 1 person banned unjustly? or 1 temp ban that could have been thought out better? thats nonsense. u can accuse me of being paranoid, ur on the staff here, so i dont have a problem with u being defensive at all, thats understandable.

I honestly can't think of a situation where someone was banned without good reason. We're all human though, so yes there probably have been a few bans that could have been handled better. But I have no doubt if any mistake was made and a member was perm banned unjustly it'd be later rectified. Banned members can still contact admin using the 'Contact Us' link, and other members who know them can contact staff via PM about such matters.

ur right tho, ef has some valuable info, and has had a lot of work put in by many ppl(mostly by us, the community)....

Absolutely. The staff are part of that community don't forget, but yes EF can only be as useful a resource as the community make it. And the community as a whole does a great job of it.

if banned peeps could see the event forums and know what was happening then how would that damage anything? really?

Banned people can still read EF no?

My concern is the question about freedom of speech, sure there is rules on this forum and rules are to follow, but when the moderators uses their power to ban people that questions the owner and/or moderators intentions and by that effectivly stops players from participating in events in the game, it has gone way over the line.

The owner spent a lot of time answering people's questions as to his intentions when he first bought the forum. There's no problem with bringing up a concern about the moderator's or the owner's actions, sometimes we make mistakes and they need to be fixed. Such issues should generally be discussed via PM with the staff so as not to disrupt the forum. So no-one gets banned just for bringing up a concern about the running of the forum. However, there is a difference between bringing up such a concern and using outright slander in an attempt to disrupt the forum. Unfortunately the latter does occur and yes, in severe cases results in bans. There are rules here to protect both staff and members alike from slander just as there are in RL.

Imho this forum has by that lost all it's meaning, not sure what the rest off you think, but when we (as citizens in countries that has freedom off speech in the constitution) can't speak our minds and put our critisism out in the light because the owner/moderators says it against the rules, then this forum is slowly killing itself.

The vast majority of members manage to speak their minds without breaking the rules. The rules themselves are here for good reasons, in order to ensure EF is a pleasant place to be:

The rules of this forum are not arbitrary, but have evolved based on behaviors that have tended to disrupt and distract the forum from its mission: to provide an effective, enjoyable, constructive, informative, and civil place to discuss EntropiaUniverse. Once a particular type of activity or behavior shows a pattern of undermining that mission or irking a significant number of members, a rule is adopted.

Now to my point, there is no way that EF (owner or moderators) should have any power over what happens in EU what so ever, the idea of MA paying the owner off this forum for the work he puts in to it is just hilarious, talk about opening the gates and letting the BS run freely. But if EF sponsors or organize an event they should off course be able to set up rules for the event. To be honest I doubt that any off the banned players would participate in a event sponsored by the company or organisation that banned them on almost random, I know I wouldn't.

We have to be allowed to think critical about everything and speak our minds, even concerning EU, without fear off ingame consequences, if we can't be that I have only one thing to say...

The owner nor moderators of EF have no power over what happens in EU. MA have all that power.

Not sure whether you were implying it, or just responding to another comment, but MA do not pay the owner of the forum for running it nor any of the staff.

No-one is banned on almost random.

As to your comment about speaking your minds without fearing in-game consequences, EF has no direct power to affect your in-game experience. However, anything you say or do anywhere to anyone involved in EU has the ability to affect your in-game experience. Because part of your in-game experience involves other people and how they interact with you. At the end of the day, what you say to them will affect how they interact with you. This can have consequences, and yes, I'm all for speaking your mind, but sometimes you have to live with the consequences.

Back on to the topic of the thread, no-one at EF is trying to ban people in order to stop their involvement in events. There are some event promoters that choose to use EF as their main point of base, yes. They have the right to do that, and if someone who cannot post at EF wants to take part in one of their events they need to contact the promoter by other means and try to sort something out.

-----------------

There's some good points made in this thread about the event system as a whole, and event promotion, and the role of EF in that. Let's not reduce the thread to a slagging match about bans. Bans are in some cases an unfortunate necessity. That's not going to change.

Last edited:
The owner nor moderators of EF have no power over what happens in EU. MA have all that power.
Of course MA have all that power, when push comes to shove. But surely you are not saying we are all equal before the (MA) law? Some single players wield power in EU. Some of those players belong to socs that are made up (almost) entirely of players of such stature.
That power is very real. It is an economical power. It is a power that influences how other individuals and socs play and behave. There is nothing wrong with that, in fact it's an aspect of the game that I appreciate. But there's no denying it's real.

Back on to the topic of the thread, no-one at EF is trying to ban people in order to stop their involvement in events.
Of course not, and I don't believe anyone (certainly not me) was arguing this.

There's some good points made in this thread about the event system as a whole, and event promotion, and the role of EF in that. Let's not reduce the thread to a slagging match about old arguments that aren't really relevant to the central issue.
Seconded.

Of course MA have all that power, when push comes to shove. But surely you are not saying we are all equal before the (MA) law? Some single players wield power in EU. Some of those players belong to socs that are made up (almost) entirely of players of such stature.
That power is very real. It is an economical power. It is a power that influences how other individuals and socs play and behave. There is nothing wrong with that, in fact it's an aspect of the game that I appreciate. But there's no denying it's real.

Yes, of course, everyone in EU has a certain power through their actions, acquaintances, money, etc.

And yes sure, you, me, Neo, or even ruskea can affect EU a little by our posts at EF or at any other forum. None of the staff, imo, is using the forum to manipulate EU in an unfair or sinister way. I can't believe anyone is suggesting that a member of EU shouldn't be allowed to run a forum for it? Or there is a point where you are too uber in EU to be allowed to run a forum for it?

Personally, i think this issue is something the event promoters have control over.
If you only promote an event here then you will get ppl from here on the event.
You can promote your event on other forums, list it on the ED Google event calender and set up your own free page and or forum for the event. If the event promoter chooses to have registration on EF it has nothing to do with EF rules or bans.
Weather or not you believe this is the "de-facto" official forum, it is still a private forum. I don't see any reason a private forum should make concessions to make up for Ma's poor event system, when the event promoter themselves are the ones who can grant access to everyone banned or not via another forum or event website.

Or there is a point where you are too uber in EU to be allowed to run a forum for it?

Facts:
1) There are always haters that want to belittle the success of others.
2) If you own and run a forum then you are in the limelight.
3) If you are in the limelight you are a focus for every conspiration theory.

If a hater decides to attack of course he is judge and executioner in one person, if XXXXX says Neomaven ain't entitled to running a forum he has to shut it down immediately (if you don't get that joke buy a sarcasm detector)

I do not agree completely with the way Neomaven runs this forum in all points.
But I do not run this forum so I must not agree with him, for my playgrounds I have the society forum and there are only nice and mature people :D

Oh and on topic:
I think banned people should make "listening" accounts used only for events if they so much need EF organized events.
Alternatively someone who is not banned could copy the events where appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im glad someone quoted him, because I have had him on ignore since the 2nd week he joined this forum.

It is no secret that the actions moderated or censored within this forum has a direct effect ingame...surely noone is so naive to think otherwise? I could name a couple of threads that were deleted completely from this forum after the new owner took ownership..and they were directly related to the soc of the new owner. And anyone that has been here long enough knows exactly what I am talking about.

If I recall there was even a rule created stating that you could not tell people who 711 was..even though it was fairly widely known long before he came forward and finally revealed it himself. And people were getting insta-bans for revealing truthful information (not rumors).

Do not dare come here and post that there is no political power at play here, history shows otherwise...nor do not come here and say that this does not effect the daily goings on inside the game because it very much has, does, and will continue to.

It has been commonly known throughout history (and many many examples present day) that if you want to control a country and influence its people the first thing you do is control the press.

Im glad someone quoted him, because I have had him on ignore since the 2nd week he joined this forum.

Do not dare come here and post that there is no political power at play here, history shows otherwise...nor do not come here and say that this does not effect the daily goings on inside the game because it very much has, does, and will continue to.

It has been commonly known throughout history (and many many examples present day) that if you want to control a country and influence its people the first thing you do is control the press.

By your own admission, you can't read my posts by your own choosing, and are responding to a partial quote and thus missing the full context of my post. If you're too petty to get over the fact that we had a disagreement years ago, and thus are choosing to have me on ignore please don't drag an already off-topic thread further off-topic by replying to a quoted remark without reading my full post.

No-one is disputing that being in control of <part of> the press gives you a certain amount of power. But having that power doesn't necessarily mean that you are abusing it, and I've seen no evidence that its being abused here. In the grand scheme of things MA have all the real power and, back on-topic, as people have pointed out the situation being discussed in this thread is largely a result of MA's choice not to run an official forum of their own. This situation would exist regardless of who owns, runs, moderates this forum. Its not relevant.

Err...someone quote me :laugh:

It is no secret that the actions moderated or censored within this forum has a direct effect ingame...surely noone is so naive to think otherwise? I could name a couple of threads that were deleted completely from this forum after the new owner took ownership..and they were directly related to the soc of the new owner. And anyone that has been here long enough knows exactly what I am talking about.

If I recall there was even a rule created stating that you could not tell people who 711 was..even though it was fairly widely known long before he came forward and finally revealed it himself. And people were getting insta-bans for revealing truthful information (not rumors).

By your own admission, you can't read my posts by your own choosing, and are responding to a partial quote and thus missing the full context of my post. If you're too petty to get over the fact that we had a disagreement years ago, and thus are choosing to have me on ignore please don't drag an already off-topic thread further off-topic by replying to a quoted remark without reading my full post.

No-one is disputing that being in control of <part of> the press gives you a certain amount of power. But having that power doesn't necessarily mean that you are abusing it, and I've seen no evidence that its being abused here. In the grand scheme of things MA have all the real power and, back on-topic, as people have pointed out the situation being discussed in this thread is largely a result of MA's choice not to run an official forum of their own. This situation would exist regardless of who owns, runs, moderates this forum. Its not relevant.

Err...someone quote me :laugh:

Here you go Jimmy

Oh Morg by the way even with ignored people there is a "read" link somewhere near their posting...

I just wanted to share the response I got from Support today regarding this issue.

27 Nov 2007 Entropia Support:
Hi,Thanks for taking the time to submit your suggestions. We really appreciate this kind of feedback and have forwarded your suggestions to the design team. Unfortunately we are unable to say whether your suggestions will be implemented now or in the future, but please stay tuned to the News section and Version Update Content Lists on the website.Thanks,Entropia Support

Its about what I expected. I am hoping this will make them look at the system and information exchange involved in that system a different way. The only fair way to get more people involved in Events is for MA to take charge of it in some way. Then people who hold events can promote where ever they like and anyone can participate whether they belong to a forum or not.

Back