HowTo: Participant Content (PC) - step by step guide

nice guide Ido , deserve a +rep for the shared information :)

Got another question about this..Since i know ppl that wont mind to display a picture i could upload into theyr appartment or shop, will it decay each time i move it from place? imagine a friend borrow me his appartment deed to upload and get the picture into the frame, and then i decide to "give" the frame with the picture to other friend with a shop to sell it from there, will it decay when i move it from the appartment to the shop?

no it only decays when u create the add ...

if u move it it dosent decay

that decay is that 5-6 ped add fee u mention in the inicial post?

yes u have to pay approx 5 ped to put an add on the sign .. the fee depends on type and size of sign ... u pay it when u make an add ... u can then move the sign without additional fees

Very useful thread. :yay:
Perhaps this deserves sticky status? :scratch:

maybe it does desreve a sticky status ... how can that be arranged ?

Thanks for the guide Ido :painter: more +rep from me

Sadly, my dreams have been somewhat shattered by the costs involved. Seems the romantic image of the struggling artist cannot be realised in EU. Art is for and by the wealthy it would appear :broke:

I would like to see mobile art racks that can be set up to display artwork anywhere (open air market style). Although, maybe the lag involved with several people setting up shop at PA or Twins would make the game grind to a halt.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Its a bit to expensive for me

a quick note

the archive folder is created when u first enter UC folder on a sign, so no need to look for it until u actually have opened it in game.
+ rep for the guide thou

all i want

man all i want to do is put a image i scan from my draw book and put it on the screen and sell it i dont want to have a app and repair can i only sell my art on a screen without having a app?

:computer:

dont want to have a gallery (not now not rich enough)

well.....

man all i want to do is put a image i scan from my draw book and put it on the screen and sell it i dont want to have a app and repair can i only sell my art on a screen without having a app?

:computer:

dont want to have a gallery (not now not rich enough)

well.....

There is nothing to stop you putting a piece of art on a screen and selling it without an apartment. However, the major snag with that is people can't see what is on a screen until it is on display.

One way round that is to set up a forum thread or website showing samples of your work. You can then upload the images and place them on a screen if you get any offers. ;)

There is nothing to stop you putting a piece of art on a screen and selling it without an apartment. However, the major snag with that is people can't see what is on a screen until it is on display.

One way round that is to set up a forum thread or website showing samples of your work. You can then upload the images and place them on a screen if you get any offers. ;)

Sorry Midori but you cant interact with a PC screen unless you hang it an an appartment you own ... so without an appartment you cant upload the image to the screen

:(

well thx for fast answer

ill have to ask someone to borro me his deed lol

yeah ill set a thread soon with my work of art

but i need to fix them in photoshop first

and if someone is interested in seeing what i can do PM me on EF

Sorry Midori but you cant interact with a PC screen unless you hang it an an appartment you own ... so without an appartment you cant upload the image to the screen

:eyecrazy::duh:

Entropia Universe, encouraging the entrepreneurial spirit since... when?

how about moving this one to the guides section?

I think there is a copy in te guides ... like a mirror link thing ...

I think it better stays in the art section sice a lot of people asked questions about this here ... and it sort of fits in :)

2.2 After making sure the graphics looks good you can upload it to the Game Servers by pressing UPLOAD ... there is a fee for uploading images to the servers depending on image size (40-60 PED for static image upload fee... i heard around 300 for a bink movie but havent tried that) of course 20% of the fee will be returned if u decide to delete an image from the server.

Didn't see the exact fees in any post in this thread so here you go...

• A standard upload fee of 30 PED.
  • A dynamic upload fee of 5 PEC/Kb.
  • An content value deposit (25% of standard+dynamic fee), which is paid when uploading, this deposit is refunded when the content is removed.

Note: 25% back, not 20% as stated in guide.
These are the official numbers revealed by MA in the Participant Guide, no hidden fees, it's all in black and white!

Link: http://www.entropiauniverse.com/en/rich/5234.html

- Kujo

Yes Kujo

now the EU site clearly states all the information about the PC system however please note that at the time of writing this guide (8th March 2007 - 7 months ago) the information provided by MA on their website was very vauge and unclear... and for this reason i wrote this guide...

/Ido

Thanks Ido, very good thread!

I visit your gallery every now and then, it is a very nice place!

On pricing; it is really crazy prices that they have. They don't make any sense at all. It costs me the same in game as it costs me RL to frame a real picture. I used to upload loads of stuff in Second Life. Photos, Paintings and other things and there you can do it for less than a dollar, less than 10 PEDs.

MindArk is - Im sad to say it - destroying the creativity in EU since pricing like this does nothing else than disencourage people to create a more vivid, unique atmosphere. :mad:

Yes Kujo

now the EU site clearly states all the information about the PC system however please note that at the time of writing this guide (8th March 2007 - 7 months ago) the information provided by MA on their website was very vauge and unclear... and for this reason i wrote this guide...

/Ido

I understand that Ido, but as I noticed you still reply in this thread and it is a sticky, I merly pointed it out couse I feel it is due time to update the guide and put this info in it. And why not even a link to MA guide. All in first post ofc so that ppl useing the guide dont have to read every single post to get the info ;)

And yes, I think there is a reason to still have the guide here, more ppl surf and search these forums than go search MA site.

Keep up the good job Ido, nice guide indeed!

- Kujo

Reactions: Ido
great suggestion Kujo i will fix the first post right now :) +rep

great suggestion Kujo i will fix the first post right now :) +rep

So, I have a few questions here.

1. How many signs could you hang comfortably in a small apartment?
2. How much do you sell your pictures for?
3. How many peds would you say is a good starting point if you were thinking of creating your own gallery?
4. and the big one, is there really a market for this? I've been a pencil and oils artist for several years and from the start my overall goal has been to save enough to open my own gallery.

Thanks a lot,
Tamn

hidden art

He he I'm not the most active one :)

But here's a riddle: how much of the uploaded picture ends up inside the frame ? AI some of the edge of the pic always ends up inside the frame walls so to speak and thus out of sight

He he I'm not the most active one :)

But here's a riddle: how much of the uploaded picture ends up inside the frame ? AI some of the edge of the pic always ends up inside the frame walls so to speak and thus out of sight

for Reon frames its 50% of the frame width that overlaps the picture i suppose... use the preview option to find the perfect sizing...

Ido

Oh, I have two Gigantum Screens on my wall ready to go.
What size in pixels do I need to create my JPG image as to work?

Right now they are 400x400

I've placed them into the Archive folder but when in EU, they don't show in the Archive list for uploading. I've refreshed and relogged but they dont show.

Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong besides everything?

hehe

Thanks!

Signage....

Oh, I have two Gigantum Screens on my wall ready to go.
What size in pixels do I need to create my JPG image as to work?

Right now they are 400x400

I've placed them into the Archive folder but when in EU, they don't show in the Archive list for uploading. I've refreshed and relogged but they dont show.

Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong besides everything?

hehe

Thanks!

I made my own guide for our Soc - here's the copy.. Good Luck...

I was looking for this info, and it took me a while to find it, even had to find VU 9.8 - then click a link... Anyway, it's useful info for anyone with a siign.

Might be good as a Sticky Spike......

Private Signs & Screens

Private Signs and Screens are also available for colonists on Calypso. These crafted items can be used to display local messages outside shops, homes or anywhere a colonist with an Estate may wish to create a local Message. Again, in order to create messages you need to have an ESTATE DEED in your INVENTORY.

Signs are able to show preloaded images and static Message text. This means you can display one text on one background. Screens are able to show preloaded images with dynamic text. Screens utilize the Sequences options available for Ads meaning a Screen can display several different texts in one Message.

Both Signs and Screens are available in a range of different shapes and sizes, including flat mounted and side mounted models. An operating panel similar to that of the Ad Screens allows administration of the Signs and Screens.

All content for Private Signs and Screens is created from the preloaded background images and participant created text. Advertising from Massive Inc. and other global participant created advertising is not be displayed on Private Signs and Screens.

---------------------------------------

Participant Content (PC)

Participant Content (PC) in the form of images and videos can be uploaded and shown on Private Signs, Screens and Displays in the Entropia Universe.

Images in jpeg, dds and tga formats can be uploaded into Signs, Screens and Displays with (PC) after their name e.g. Xlite-S Sign (PC).

Videos in bink format can be uploaded into Displays with (PC) after their names e.g. Xlite-S Display (PC). Read more about the bink format and conversion tools here.

Once you have purchased a Sign, Screen or Display an Archive folder will be created on your hard drive in the local disk\\Documents and Settings\\user name\\My Documents\\Entropia Universe\\Archive directory.

Place files you wish to use in the Entropia Universe in this folder. The files will then be accessible from inside the Entropia Universe where you can upload them from your Archive into your Content Files. Once in your Content Files, the material can be used in Signs, Screens and Displays.

N.B. It's very important to have your files correctly sized, otherwise they will not be displayed when you view your local Archive from inside the Entropia Universe. Read the following info and examples, or go directly to suitable sizes list below. Here's the important sizing information:

Signs, Screens and Displays in the Entropia Universe come in four different aspect ratios: 1:1, 1:2, 2:1, 4:1

For best results when uploading your own images and videos, you need to use the aspect ratio and the power-of-two format.

Example 1:
You've just bought an Xlite-W Display (PC). Looking at the display you see its aspect ratio is 4:1 - its width is four times its height.

As it's a Display (PC) you know you can upload your own images and videos (Signs and Screens can only use static images).

Now you need to make sure your video has the right dimensions according to the power-of-two format. In other words its width and height must conform to:

2^x pixels by 2^y pixels, where x and y are any power from 1 to 11. Let's use 10 and 8.
2^10 pixels by 2^8 pixels
1024 pixels by 256 pixels

As the aspect ratio is 4:1 this would be a very suitable size. The width (1024) is 4 times the height (256).

Example 2:
You've got a Reon-S Screen (PC). Its aspect ratio is 1:1 - its length is the same as its height.

It's a Screen (PC) so you can upload your own images (only Displays can show videos).

Now you need to make sure your image dimensions are correct according to the power-of-two format.

2^x pixels by 2^y pixels, where x and y can be any power from 1 to 11. Let's choose 8.
2^8 pixels by 2^8 pixels
256 pixels by 256 pixels

As the aspect ratio is 1:1 this would be a suitable size, although you could make it bigger (max. size is 2048 by 2048 or 2^11 by 2^11)

So, the range of suitable sizes would look like:

Aspect Ratio 1:1 - Size 64x64, 128x128, 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048
Aspect Ratio 1:2 - Size 64x128, 128x256, 256x512, 512x1024, 1024x2048
Aspect Ratio 2:1 - Size 128x64, 256x128, 512x256, 1024x512, 2048x1024
Aspect Ratio 4:1 - Size 256x64, 512x128, 1024x256, 2048x 512

Fees
A standard upload fee of 30 PED.
A dynamic upload fee of 5 PEC/Kb based on the size of the uploaded content.
An content value deposit (25 percent of the standard plus dynamic fees) which is paid when uploading files to your content files. This deposit is refunded when the content is removed.
Deterioration of Signs, Screens and Displays when content is applied.

Upload Fees are only paid once, regardless of how many Signs, Screens or Displays are showing the content. Content can only be removed when no Signs, Screens or Displays are showing the content.

Condition Limit
Please note that Signs, Screens and Displays cannot be administered, placed on walls etc. or dropped if their condition is below 90They need to be repaired to above 90n order for these tasks to be carried out.

Participant Content is regulated by the Entropia Universe EULA (§9 Participant Content).

N.B. Please make sure that port 30583 (TCP Outbound) is opened in order to load Participant Content (PC) into your (PC) capable equipment.

Summary

1. Participant Content (PC) can only be uploaded to equipment that has (PC) after its name.
2. Place correctly sized files in your local Archive map.
3. Access your Archive from the (PC) capable equipment inside the Entropia Universe and upload your files to your Content Files. The files are now transferred from your local disk to an Entropia Universe host server. Pay the necessay fees.
4. Create a new message on your (PC) capable equipment. You'll find your newly uploaded file as a Background Image.

Links:
This artical on MA's site.... Here....
MA's Sign FAQ's.... Here.....

--------------------------------

Sign Tip's....

sign_testef600x150_674327.jpg

Well i had the same dam problem i had 6 months ago, took for an hour to work it out.......

Ok, basially you create a folder in your My Documents:

Entropia Univers

then a folder inside that

Archive

The problem i had was my aspect ratio was not in pixels but cm...

If there not in pixels the pictures dont show up in your ingame archive folder.

All fixed now - just deciding what and when to add the picture...

Good Luck
MoonFish

old guide, but still verry useful.
Thanx alot Ido

omg this got me frazzled. can i just hire someone to make me a sign please?
does anyone here want to do this for me? :)

Back