Hurri's USA/Canada Road Trip Honeymoon... are you on the Route?

Hurrikane

Slayer
Society
GloryHound Irregulars
Oscar Hurrikane SkyQuake
Hi:)...as many of you may or may not know I'm getting married to the amazing Zoe Richards on June 21st and on the 9th of July we will be heading out on our 6-month, long-awaited-get-away-from-it-all honeymoon.

I am not writing to incur jealous wrath; this is the "backpacking" trip we never took as students, mixed in with a bit of mid-life crisis. It's not a luxury jaunt, it's much needed therapy through escapism. I've worked hard enough I reckon. No-one's gravestone will ever read "wish I spent more time at work" and this trip will be the start of many changes; including a much lesser work-load and more time for, well, time:).

So to the purpose of this post;

Here's where we're passing through if all goes to plan; please let us know anything you can about anywhere you know about:) We'll be staying in a DayVan on Campsites for most of the trip.

July 9th:

Salt Lake City, Yosemite, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, Juneau, Fairbanks, Anchorage, Calgary, Glacier Nat. Park, Yellowstone, Wyoming, SLC again (sep 30th)

...then 3 weeks in Peru (yes, Macchu Picchu) to allow for visa requirements...

Then back to... SLC (Oct 22nd), Grand Canyon, Amarillo, Route 66 to Chicago, the Great Lakes, Quebec, Montreal, Boston, New York, HOME (New Year's Day).

Bits we'd love info on are Wyoming in general, the trip from Vancouver up to Alaska, the bit between Chicago and Quebec, where to stay in New York within a decent distance of Times Square (I know it's a tourist trap but hey, we'll be tourists:)) at New Year's... and where to sell the Van:)... and any other parts. I must stress we are not passing through Amarillo for any reason connected to the recent comedy chart hit of the same name; we just need to pass through northern Texas on the way to Route 66 and it's on the way:)

Thanks for any advice/things to see (we like a nice view), walks to go on, stuff to do... low-cost stuff in particular:)

I know I posted a similar thread before but now it's looming ominously I thought I'd better get all the preparation I could.

Hurrikane

Wow, what an amazing trip you have planned, well deserved, hope you and your wife have a great Honeymoon!!!

:yay: :wtg: :yay:

I'm near Seattle, :)

Btw, damn, that sounds like crazy fun!
I wish you the best!!!!!!!
Happy travels!

Wootage ! :eek: Sound truly amazing trip ! Too bad i havent got any info to contribute to ya, not from those areas...

Happy Honeymooning!

:inbed: = :baby: :laugh::yay:;):wtg:

When visiting the Grand Canyon, it would be great if you were able to hike down to Havasupi Falls and stay there. However, its on Native Reservation and advanced permit is required. (google it, its beautiful)

Nearby, between Flagstaff and Sedona is a beautiful place to camp called Oak Creek Canyon. It's worth the 1 1/2 to 2hr drive from the canyon to enjoy the cool picturesque setting.

Then you will be able to drive 30 minutes into Sedona and see the painted desert (buttes and mesas).

If you are interested, let me know I can pm some of our pictures of the creek or attempt to post them.

Cat

im on the route! :yay:, lol we are lookin forward to y'all gettin here....mostly so you can help us pack ;)

lol, seriously though, yer tall and shit, imma need some help :D . oh,

and there will be beer....

WOOT :beerchug: :drink: :rofl: :banana: :thumbup: :drool:

Heres to those Who wish us Well, All the rest go straight to Hell!!

Wow, Hurri, sounds like a great trip! I did a similar trip in 1989 and had a fantastic time. Hopefully, you might end up around my area( Montreal) in time to see the fantastic Fall colours. I'll pm you my e-mail/co-ords so you can drop by and say, "Hi!"

I live in Portland. I would suggest instead of taking the I-5 route from San Francisco to Portland that you instead take Hwy 101. This would bring you along the coast line all the way through Northren California and all of Oregon. To me the only thing to see going the I-5 route is Crater Lake. On 101 you pass throught the Redwood national forest, Florence sand Dunes and of course breath taking sceneriy of the Oregon coast. You can track back over to Portland by taking Hwy 30 out of Astoria.

Back