I know the Missed message... but Failed?! :(

Clonestar

Prowler
Society
NBK Elite
Jeroen Clonestar Leonardz
I almost can accept the stupid MISSED message ingame... but lately I also get this FAILED message when trying to fire a gun or use my fap...

What's up with that? Another way of telling me that I lost a few pec again? :mad:

I think this is irritating... I can shoot a mob from point blank range and get a miss, but now every now and then I get failed when trying to do stuff... Is that because of lag or something? Ofcourse the failed message is logical to get on point blank range then a missed but still...

Here's a picture of the situation:
[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

What do you think? Have you ever had this Failed message lately?

i have it when the server gets its freaky moments lootlag etc

its a connection thing the miss is just to farm peds from us

My experience is that a better internet connection gives less "failed" messages, especially wireless seems to give more "failed" messages. If its a big problem for you you should check with your ISP.

It's all common place these days. I suspect someone high up in the game wrote to support and now MA have to in some way let us know that sometimes (often) lose peds due to server issues or whatever. I've done many tests of packet loss and the like and i'm certain the fail message is MA's fault :p As for the missed message..disable it, you'll feal better.

I dont even mind the failed messages on ocassion..but when I get failed and nothing happens for me shooting the target but the target STILL gets to hit me I have a problem with..

I dont hunt enough to remember to try and take screenies when this could happen, nor do I think we are fast enough anways to react when this does happen.

More then one ocassion I have got the failed failed failed and all the sudden am dead when the lag catches up so obviously the mobs are still doing their thing while we are stuck in limbo. Thats one of the reasons I stopped wearing armor. Same as the free hit mobs seem to get when switching from weapon to fap and back again.

Dont have any downloads going (torrents for example) and any other heavy internet heavy programs like streaming and see if the faileds go away.

i know it sucks to get the FAIL message, but if you look closly at your ammo youll notice that it doent go down after/during a failed shot.

so yes we end up losing peds from more mob hits, but not in consumed ammo.

i havent been able to check if wepons decay when i fail shots, kinda hard to do so.

i also agree it has more to do with our on isp/modem/lag than with MAs servers.

just my 2 pec

This is due to asynchronous communication to the server while switching tools. Server doesn't receive the message that you switched and does receive the message that you want to use the tool --> Fail.
Part of the handling is done client side, to mask some of the lag in equipping tools.

OK, a bit of guessing involved, but it sounds plausible doesnt it? :D

I dont even mind the failed messages on ocassion..but when I get failed and nothing happens for me shooting the target but the target STILL gets to hit me I have a problem with..QUOTE]

Agree 100% with this...If I can't hit you then don't have em hit me :mad:
The mob should see message ;) "this ava is in a state where he can not be milked of peds nor killed" :)

All the best,

Indica

I only get "Failed" messages when there is some sort of problem with the connection to the MA servers and 99.95% of the time is on my side (wireless connection, faulty router, DoS attack, general network problem).

Actually these days I call the EU client "my network monitoring tool" and the actual act of playing the game "monitoring the network". When I start to get "Failed" messages (and it happens fairly rarely) I quickly switch to the NMS (network monitoring system) to check what is going on.

Ciobyna
Network Junkie
Keeping the bits flowing since 1999

Last edited:
I dont even mind the failed messages on ocassion..but when I get failed and nothing happens for me shooting the target but the target STILL gets to hit me I have a problem with..

Agree 100% with this...If I can't hit you then don't have em hit me :mad:
The mob should see message ;) "this ava is in a state where he can not be milked of peds nor killed" :)

All the best,

Indica

As much as I would appreciate this for the times that it affects me it is not realistic since the 'failure' is client side.

Example being say you were in pvp and suddenly while your opponent got 'failed' you started getting 'this avatar is in a state where you cannot damage him/her'. That's like punishing you for their connection?

No pleasing everyone :(

As much as I would appreciate this for the times that it affects me it is not realistic since the 'failure' is client side.

Example being say you were in pvp and suddenly while your opponent got 'failed' you started getting 'this avatar is in a state where you cannot damage him/her'. That's like punishing you for their connection?

No pleasing everyone :(

So at what connection speed should the Failed messages be non existant?

I run a 22meg down and 1 meg up. I download the MA patches and VU's at 2.5 MBPS.. if thats not fast enough to have one message go there and be heard what is?.

With the speeds of the net avaiable now days there should be time to run checks during combat to ensure this does not happen.. the fact that it is one sided says to me this is intentional ( or at the very least left un resolved). Kinda funny how for 3 years I played I never got a failed message and now it seems very common as if its just an excuse for poor programming or flat out draining ped from the players.

If a mob can hit me during the glitched time I cant do anything I think this is set as a "Feature" now that is easily explained away by smoke and mirrors and the standard fanbois spamming how it is possible to happen to enhance the doubt surrounding this.

10/10 fiber here and hardly any failure ,but it aint all about the connection it have a lot too do with computer as well , so good connection with hardware problem or bad spec`s on computer will cause lag problem.

Example when i burned my mem and whas forced into play on just 2GB i started get more fails and other problems ,but i refused too change my ingame settings so my own fault :silly2:

The problem may stem from lag, but overall it's how they deal with such issues: it's always in their favour. To alleviate the lag you have to wait while the mobs don't. Another classic example is when a mob gets trapped and you can't shoot at it; well... you can, but you're just wasting ammo. As soon as the mob gets "un-trapped" it can hit you all it wants, while you have to wait until the protection is removed.

Classic business style; it's like one of the worst scandals here in Canada with the so-called smart meters, for getting your energy consumption right. It turned out that these devices although they're suppose to save you money... you end up paying more! So... an investigation showed that there is a "bug" in their DB, with thousands of customers affected. The energy company ended up having to PAY up for the mistake. However, the question remains: this "bug" only works ONE WAY, by charging YOU more! :confused:
What kinda of bug is this??

:(

Don't even bother trying to prove this statement. :rolleyes:

I get it all the time.. but it dont bother me anymore cus I know its my own fault.. old computer and crappy connection..

definitely a lag issue, just like the item is not ready messages are too. If you file a support ticket about it, they will likely say it's your fault because it's something on the client end. The BIG problem with that is it's NOT your fault, and THEY PROGRAMMED THE CLIENT, SO IT IS THEIR FAULT! In my opinion, if you get green check marks that all is ok when the client comes up, by golly, everything should be ok, and there should not be any lag. However, as things are, there is lots of it in various locations at various times... and they blame it on the end users instead of taking it upon themselves to fix their broken system. Part of it might be the client. Part of it is likely the server. Most of it is the client/server communications that they programmed. All of it is their fault since their green check boxes indicated to you that all is ok.

Til they fix this big problem, I don't hunt or mine much outside of a turret's range, and lately due to low loot return, I don't even craft much. I think many others feel the same way, which is part of why the loot is so low... nothing going in = nothing coming out.

Who knows, maybe this is MA's way of trying to get rid of a lot of participants so that they won't have to pay for hardware upgrades on the server end... just piss off enough people that fewer login, so there is less strain on the servers because fewer people are in game... huge mistake, but that seems to be the direction they might possibly be taking.

So at what connection speed should the Failed messages be non existant?

I run a 22meg down and 1 meg up. I download the MA patches and VU's at 2.5 MBPS.. if thats not fast enough to have one message go there and be heard what is?.

Connection speed is irrelevant.
You can have an 100mbps connection but if a router or a pipe along the way is overloaded and it's dropping packets or delivers them out of order you will still get "Failed" messages.

The way downloading works makes it less prone to be affected if one packet in 100 is dropped. Unfortunately this is not the case for the highly interactive apps like EU.

Ciobyna
"Sir, can I have _all_ my packets please?"
"Sure, but can at least stir them a bit ?"

Connection speed is irrelevant.
You can have an 100mbps connection but if a router or a pipe along the way is overloaded and it's dropping packets or delivers them out of order you will still get "Failed" messages.

The way downloading works makes it less prone to be affected if one packet in 100 is dropped. Unfortunately this is not the case for the highly interactive apps like EU.

Ciobyna
"Sir, can I have _all_ my packets please?"
"Sure, but can at least stir them a bit ?"

So what your saying is packet loss is a one way street...

We can get dumped but the server side never gets dumped and there fore never misses....

Doesnt that go back to what I said with the system needing to do checks. If its set to send a failed mesage then obvously it KNOWs something was missed and should ask for a resend of data instead of saying Oh we missed something... heres confirmation you got fucked..btw heres an extra 45 points damage to get ya started back in the loop.

Oh wait MA wont make money doing that.....

We can get dumped but the server side never gets dumped and there fore never misses....

Doesnt that go back to what I said with the system needing to do checks. If its set to send a failed mesage then obvously it KNOWs something was missed and should ask for a resend of data instead of saying Oh we missed something... heres confirmation you got fucked..btw heres an extra 45 points damage to get ya started back in the loop.

still kinda your own fault... cus you chose to play around in EU.. when you know that theres bugs and other problems in there.. not trying to be an ass or anything..

failed = connection issue. Only time its happened for me is when i have heavy downloads going in the background. Soon as i turn them off all fails go away.

Weapons don't use ammo when it happens, the server never got the notice to use the item, so it never was used.

Why are people seeing them now when they haven't for years? Because they didn't use to tell us when it happened, now they notify you in the client so you know something is wrong with your connection. I personally prefer to know then have the client just chug along and not tell you something is going on.

Why not have the client resend? It probably does try....but it wont try to resend a backlogged queue of actions. Say you had a 10 second connection loss and fired off 10 shots during that time. Should the server register 10 shots in a millisecond when you get your connection back? You might think yes....but there are many ways to badly exploit this... Ie one could write an network filter to queue up 10 shots and then have them 'shoot' all at once at a creature, and have it die without even getting a chance to fight back. Thats just one example....there are many more exploits that could be done by allowing the server to accept backed up data like that. The most the client can realistically do is resend the last action.

Why does the server allow creatures to kill you when you have a connection failure... Well most 'fails' are likely dropped packets, and thus are not very long. If the server stopped things from fighting every time you lost 1 packet....again this would be very easy to exploit. Long duration pauses in network traffic, they can detect, and they do disconnect you over. Make it too short, and it sure would be an easy way to escape in pvp for instance, among other things.

What they really should do is make the message say what it means. "Connection failed. No action taken.", or "Unable to contact server. No action taken." Would be far more descriptive.

Yes, the server does not have packet loss with itself.

You forget the need to synchronize with the other players around you.
If the server asks for a resend the others need to wait for u to resynchronize. (think "Waiting for BlaBla" or "BlaBla is slowing down the game" from another game). I don't think you really want that. Or if you do and it's implemented I promise I will search you around and when I find you I start my packet loss emulator :)

MA is not here for the warm fuzzy feelings, I concur.
But if someone only sees dirt in everything and does not leave I begin to think that he just likes the filth...

Ciobyna

Has anyone that has been getting the 'Failed' messages tried setting their gaming comp to a DMZ in their router? The only times I have gotten this is from a bad NIC or router. I run with the comp set as DMZ and have no problems.

Back