I need help to figurate out about the entropia population growing

Dr.D.C.

Elite
Society
Glory Hound Irregulars
Ok i had this discussion with some mate about the growing population in entropia. IMO in effect there is no increase of players at all , instead according to my friend there is.
He support his opinion with the fact that he can meet some new players around the universe (he is a trader) but actually he doesn t bring any real value.
On my side i m looking to the succesful/unsuccesul auction (that ofc consist to just a tiny fraction of the whole auctions) but there is not any positive trend.
here the link (look at the bottom page)
http://www.entropiabay.com/auctiondata.asp
and in particular

i m wondering if there is any other way to look at that.
Maybe ET????

any help?

thx

dc

Tracker shows you nothing at all about the population, as loot could be rebalanced any time to for example give less globals and more near-globals, which would disrupt that data.

One way I assume would be to check the average amount of Registered Mentors online at any time (number of people with level 15+ and 6+ months ingame willing to be in the register) along with keeping stats of the amount of people present at Swamp Camp or such :dunno:

Would require a lot of data collecting (and loads of time) on site ingame tho I guess :laugh:

i agree Et cannot be useful about that............

I recently hit level 20 prospector and got a random invite by a mentor whos played for 6 month. I accepted but havent seen the guy since!

I guess alot of these mentors are just people trying to bag a lot of newbs to make them a few free ped ? Is this even relevant to Nighthawks post? probably not but I wanted to share the thought with you guys :D

i m thinking that after all my opinion is not totally wrong..............

Seems like the first few posters missed the entire point of that graph... I'm seeing the total number of auctions decreasing?

Measuring the amount of auctions is one of the best way to see trends in the playerbase. Entropia is RCE and basically an economy simulation and because economy is thightly connected to the market the market growth will be a very good way to measure ingame activity.

Well most of the successful MMOs have a declining player base. So Entropia is in the same boat as the others in this downward trend. The only difference is that the Entropia playerbase is very small and an exodus of 20% of the playerbase might kill the game. Where in WOW 20% less players still means around 6mil players and enough to fund the game development.

Once again, I don't agree that ET does not at all represent the number of players. The only people I am really interested to count in this RCE game are the ones who global, the rest is marginal - people who just chat or people who resell/only collect from LAs/...

And with that said, I think the number of ppl is not increasing and not declining either based on global statistics (e.g. how many people globaled), kind of similar to the auction statistics which makes sense as the ones who play sell/buy in auction as well. And the fluctuations based on time of year are normal, always been that way.

And the other thing, yea, 10k active ppl (according to my definition of active) is a very small amount for this large virtual world.

One thing is for sure, EU is not going well, otherwise you would not question yourself about how calculate number of players moves or whatever tools to figure out.
If it was a real success you would see it in game immediately , which was the case some years ago.

maybe if you can count and log all the 1st time globalers on ET per day that would give u a good indication of new players or newish at least . But there would need to be an added function on ET to do it .(if not already possible)

Seems like the first few posters missed the entire point of that graph...

Nope, I simply disregarded it and replied to the question asked.

i once tried to invite to me friendlist but it is no real success.

only what you can see is number of people on FL and can calc the % of people online per hours or day.

could use the chatlog to get data who logged on at a day to make a graph "how many ppl log in per day out of XXXX people"

at least eu has not enough active players that mindark could use that fact for adverts.

you only see adverts "1 million registered accounts" and so. you never see "500k monthly active players"

and that tell alot ofc as no company is allowed to make false or missleading advert.

so how many are active i stopped to look for. it wont be a surprise at all does it?

you only see adverts "1 million registered accounts" and so. you never see "500k monthly active players"

and that tell alot ofc

To be honest, I don't think I have seen a single MMO advertise themselves with active players, even WoW mostly seem to use their amount of registered accounts for ads :laugh:

It looks like the population is growing. But new players nowadays can come a long way without depositing. Especially if their mentor takes them on a tour to visit all the other planets.
Never before has the amount of freebies been so high. A disciple can get to 10% discipleship with much ease without any depo into the game and even without a lot of sweating.
I Have two disciples who now don't login as much, simply because the freebies have decayed. So they will come to the breaking point: Deposit and continue, go on as a sweat slave or quit.
While the universe in peds may seem to be shrinking, this could also be because of the landdeeds rush. Things will return to normal now, but then again.. summer is coming as well, which will also have its effects.
I think the universe is growing , but there are a lot of new players who haven't reached the breaking point yet.

To be honest, I don't think I have seen a single MMO advertise themselves with active players, even WoW mostly seem to use their amount of registered accounts for ads :laugh:

well in other mmo is not so important how many are active at all as they pay anyways if they play or not. just a few are free or you buy the starter boxset and never again (you payed in advance)

in eu the active population matter more cause the RCE. people spend when they move. the bigger the market the more reason make the professions.

so in that term it would be for mindark better if they could tell they have 500k active people instead the 1 million registered accounts.

that be a real fact which would speak alot for the RCE concept. =) is more convincing than to tell 1 million registered and you seek for them inside until you ask yourself how many are ingame at all =)

we will never? see the real number of active players.

A good indicator maybe:

individual global/hof from tracker (is there data available of all three not each for them self)

+

pages on auction from all planets - shows some activity

+

Mentor register count

maybe a graph of all data can show if there is more activity (maybe through new players)

I think your graph is also reflecting the effect of Clds on the economy, so your data is corrupted with other variables besides the number of players. I'm sure someone here would love to come up with some EU economy analysis which involved matrices, regression analysis, and differential equations....etc..etc...

I agree tracker is no absolute for player activity. Not all globals are picked up by tracker for one. I do think though it is a pretty good sample of activity by regular depositors and isn't it the regular depositors which are the most important in terms of the state of the game? I don't deposit alot and I have been ranked consistantly on tracker in hunting or mining once I got my skills and gear up high enough. I may drop off of tracker though because I have suspended my meager deposits for the time being, but I will be dropping off because I am no longer a regular depositor...

A really easy way to track this would be for MA to have a little counter at the bottom of the login page that says, "XXXX players currently logged in"...

It is a tiny bit of programming, would take about two seconds to implement...

Once again, I don't agree that ET does not at all represent the number of players. The only people I am really interested to count in this RCE game are the ones who global, the rest is marginal - people who just chat or people who resell/only collect from LAs/...

And with that said, I think the number of ppl is not increasing and not declining either based on global statistics (e.g. how many people globaled), kind of similar to the auction statistics which makes sense as the ones who play sell/buy in auction as well. And the fluctuations based on time of year are normal, always been that way.

And the other thing, yea, 10k active ppl (according to my definition of active) is a very small amount for this large virtual world.

well i guess many of us do runs spending a nice amount of ped (loosing or gain them no important) but don t get any global............

easiest way to see if the population is growing is standing in twin peaks, trading or just chatting it does not matter, and see how many players hang about

twin peaks is the orgrimmar AND stormwind of planet calypso

for comparisons sake, on an average wow server (just one of their hundreds of servers) in orgrimmar (one of the two major capital cities) during weekdays, in front of the auctions there are usually 30-40 people, and 100 more around the city, during weekeds even ten times more.

in twin peaks, during weekdays, there are often NO people on the radar

and i remember when, many years ago, the radar had over 50 green dots as i teleported to twin peaks ... during the weekdays.

while i can't say if the population is growing or shrinking, i can say with full confidence that it decreased massively since the engine change, and it's been that bad ever since.

A really easy way to track this would be for MA to have a little counter at the bottom of the login page that says, "XXXX players currently logged in"...

It is a tiny bit of programming, would take about two seconds to implement...

Eve Online has that. When you click the client loader it tells the current amount of people online. Nice little feature.

-Bemo-

i wonder why MA is trying to hide number of people. most other mmo games have counters of how many people in server.

First of all the time period of that chart is a bit short, May 2011 to Mars 2011, to draw any longtime conclusion. It could be that the CLD also have hurt the overall economy in the last couple of month, because a lot of peds have been used to buy them.

Looking at a longer perspective, i believe the playerbase are slowly increasing. I also think that maybe EU are in some kind of "generation shift", some old high level players that have played for many years are leaving or are inactive in the game. Instead a new generation of players are coming, but it takes sometime for them to "grow up" and replace the ones are leaving.

One good thing with the RCE concept, even if players "leave" or get inactive in the game, they useally never totaly leave the game. Many will probably "lurk" aroung and watch the developement, and it they see something intresting they will probably be an active playeragain. It would be nice to see what a real big advertising campaign from MA/Calypso could do to bring in some more players.

maybe, point is the here we are talking about feelings instead i would like have data.....

I played for a month about 4 years ago. Visually I would say we have 30% of the population it once had. It does feel different creating a new avatar now from then. Back then MA just sucked the ped out of all the noobs. Now it feels like they created some sort of buffer to avoid losing your $20 let me try this deposit. It was harsh. You didn't even try playing the game until you studied the forums. The chat was always complaints about MA being to greedy. I don't see that any more. MA has screwed with system to much. They took away taming. Took away some implant chips for a period. I'm sure people got tired of MA toying around with a system they invested in. They never had a good rep. I think they are trying to change that. I just hope it isn't an illusion I will soon see is another trick they created.

So we definitely has less players overall. It feels better being a noob this time around. So if they play their cards right we could have a busy planet again.

:laugh:

Then you can count me out, although I've been online at least 6 days a week for the past 8 years.

Sure, I'm just a low/mid lvl player with just 115k skills, but I didn't know you don't even count as a active player if you're not lucky enough and are not getting any globals.

:scratch2:

i wonder why MA is trying to hide number of people. most other mmo games have counters of how many people in server.

LOL, there is nothing to wonder here!
They are simpley ashamed of the number :laugh: ........... and uncomfortable to show it!

Last edited:

"Trying to hide it"?

It's not like they are actively trying to hide it, they just wont show it :laugh:

Again another death to the gamer thread ...your all gunna die :)
Market tends and activity drop seasonally.
Welcome to the the big Mac or Burger Kings who purchased the CLD's ...I bet they're a smart advertising company going for control;)
I may be wrong lol:)
Lets see what speculative posting comes:D

So we definitely has less players overall. It feels better being a noob this time around. So if they play their cards right we could have a busy planet again.

I don't think we have less players, and if we have, not by much. The world have become much bigger in four years with more planets and more land areas.

Back