In game adverts and sales

Status
LOL rep+, that is exsactly the thing we dont want to be seeing in game

Michyblueyes said:
LOL rep+, that is exsactly the thing we dont want to be seeing in game

And why not ???
I think this can only add to the "reality" of this Universe. I mean you see other adverts around in Hades etc, so why not make them real.

The point of this ... GET REAL !

OK, I change my mind, advertising is fine. Now where's that TP? I'm sure I still have a free BigMac Voucher somewhere lying round.

Ok to further this conversation, because I think its a really good idea.

In order for MA to start selling advertising in game, they would need to have an advertising sales team. Once they got big enough, there could be the possibility of them getting a sales team together to sell advertising, but that may still take a while. I think if a company like Coca-Cola approached them, and said they wanted to advertise, then they would jump at the chance. But they do not yet have the resources available to actively woo would be advertisers.

This does leave an opportunity, as in the real world for media consultants to sell advertising on behalf of MA, but obviously due to the smallish numbers of players at present, this is not yet going to happen until the coverage in the game is big enough. However, there is possibly the chance for an "ingame" advertiser to try this for PEDs instead of real money (real money costs more than peds - so I mean real money of course, but like smaller amounts).

Another thing is that advertising in PE may be cheap compared to in real life, but also, someone like Coca-Cola with a HUGE advertising budget, may not even consider such a cheap option as part of their marketing strategy.

Thoughts on this please ?
(And what does everyone mean when they say they're adding reputation??)

And another point. The reason MA doesn't want people in game doing advertising, is because THEY want control of it, and THEY want the revenue of any advertising to come to them, and not go to the players, which I think is an unfortunate approach. Its THEIR game, THEIR servers, and THEIR money, THEIR income.... its a really greedy/short-sighted outlook, and I think if they really were thinking long-term, then a lot of these things would change.

The Mighty said:
(And what does everyone mean when they say they're adding reputation??)

If you look at your information you will see a green dot under your avatar and a reputation listing. When you say good things people add rep and it goes up. Also you get more green dots.

When you say stupid things people add bad rep and the green dot goes red and your rep goes down.

Suicide

Hoyt said:
[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

bwhahahahaha

AHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHah

thats hilarious.

I'm gonna start a new soc called the 'Vegetarian Kids' and offer wormhole transportation as an alternative to all the corporate-culture hating indie kids. ;)

LOL- ok this is a sick thought (and no, i do not actually wish to see it come to fruition).... but what if you could by Snickers candy bars or Starbucks coffee for an extra edge??? :laugh:

Suicide said:
And they have ads in them now! If you stand in the mobile units, which i am sure you all do, you'll hear shit like "Your brave, use A&P ammunition" (not that exactly but you get my point).

The very first thing i did when i heard one of those was shout spam, log out and delete all those audio files.

Would you all be so pro-adverts if MA kept giving you chat pop-ups of advertising?
What about if the adverts were clickable and launched your browser?
what if they put loads of banners in their newsletter or started to give your mail address to companies that had paid for advertising?

wanda said:
The very first thing i did when i heard one of those was shout spam, log out and delete all those audio files.

Would you all be so pro-adverts if MA kept giving you chat pop-ups of advertising?
what if they put loads of banners in their newsletter or started to give your mail address to companies that had paid for advertising?

Thats slightly different to what we're suggesting.

wanda said:

Never Happen, Yes, dont care, dont care.

Off all the games that are starting to integrate ads with corporations tho none of those things are on the list. There is a major QUEST mmo that lasts forEVER that has pizza tied to it. They are getting paid. Is it obtrusive? no. type /pizza IF YOU WANT.

Chat pop ups in game i assume you mean wouldnt happen. That is not something that any game company would do because of the server usage and bandwidth to do it.

Clickable and launched your browser... dont click. Im sure you arent one that fall for the YOUR COMPUTER IS RUNNING SLOW... CLICK HERE. So it has no effect.

Banners in the newletter? Christ. is there a site you visit today that doesnt? so ???

Mailing address. Other than the fact that trees die i really dont mind throwing away shit that gets sent to my mailbox. It takes me exactly 25 seconds to discard mail that i dont need.

So in answer to your questions, if MA teamed up and did all the above things it would waste about 1.5 minutes of my time. Seeing as how i waste HOURS of my time playing hoping for a nice loot, to guarantee me a bit extra i am ready, willing, and able.

Suicide

Suicide said:
Never Happen, Yes, dont care, dont care.

Off all the games that are starting to integrate ads with corporations tho none of those things are on the list. There is a major QUEST mmo that lasts forEVER that has pizza tied to it. They are getting paid. Is it obtrusive? no. type /pizza IF YOU WANT.

Chat pop ups in game i assume you mean wouldnt happen. That is not something that any game company would do because of the server usage and bandwidth to do it.

Clickable and launched your browser... dont click. Im sure you arent one that fall for the YOUR COMPUTER IS RUNNING SLOW... CLICK HERE. So it has no effect.

Banners in the newletter? Christ. is there a site you visit today that doesnt? so ???

Mailing address. Other than the fact that trees die i really dont mind throwing away shit that gets sent to my mailbox. It takes me exactly 25 seconds to discard mail that i dont need.

So in answer to your questions, if MA teamed up and did all the above things it would waste about 1.5 minutes of my time. Seeing as how i waste HOURS of my time playing hoping for a nice loot, to guarantee me a bit extra i am ready, willing, and able.

Suicide

lol, i bet mindark love people like you

Hear Hear Suicide !!!

And hopefully we could start making more money than we put in.

IMO the only way to make money in this game is to never deposit. And a lot of noobs are doing that.... its the noobs that are profiting from us.

wanda said:

As a poster to this website as we are both. Have you looked at the bottom of the screen? What do you see there (if you didnt donate)? Hmm. Ads. What sites to you usually surf? Do they have ads? I dont hear outrage at EF.com or CNN.com or any other websites that do the exact same thing every time you log on.

At least with ads in PE you will (in theory as we are discussing) get something for it. So im not sure what you mean by that.

Suicide

Go Suicide! I totaly agree. What harm would it do to have ads ingame if they where inline with the environment? Even if MA takes a (large) cut we would still profit from a bigger lootpool.

Reps added Suicide.

wanda said:
and so does every major corporation across the face of planet earth...
The Mighty said:
IMO the only way to make money in this game is to never deposit. And a lot of noobs are doing that.... its the noobs that are profiting from us.
LOL... 'tis true. thank you, ubers!! :laugh:

howver, not that although i disagree with you, i like the constructive critisism... to prove it, *reps added.* and besides, im hardly one to talk, since atm i dont have the time to type up a constructive response X) lol... ill see if i can later. :D

Ad/product placement

Ok, lets face it, advertising has been in video games for a long, long time. One of the first driving games I got hooked on had Marlboro billboards. :smoke: Granted I smoke Camel, so the ad placement didn’t really work on me, but it was notable enough that 20 years later I still remember it.

I am actually torn on this whole subject. On one side, the possibilities of fiscal gain possibilities brought about by the increased external revenue source is intriguing. :broke: On the flip side, the idea of seeing an ad for Hot Pockets while in game doesn’t really seem right.

But it would be pretty cool if it were done contextually appropriate, like in a lot of SciFi movies. (I’ll attach samples to illustrate what I mean.) Branded concept products could be introduced with things like all monitors being Ericson brand & new vehicles having the Volvo logo.

I have given this way too much thought, haven’t I? :scratch:

PS No, Coca Cola will never change its logo…ever. But since they have had the same logo for over one hundred years, it would be realistic to see it just as it is.

Lexus– Minority Report
Coca-Cola – Blade Runner
Taco Bell - Demolition Man

Lexus_Minority_Report_thumb.jpg
[br]Click to enlarge[/br]
tacobellsign_thumb.jpg

NOTE: I need to clarify that I would prefer not to see product placement or real world ads ingame. But, If it has to happen, i'd like it to maintain if not enhance the PE experience and not detract from it.

Last edited:
Advertising seems to be everywhere and the people who seem to be good at it are Google. There revenue for the third quarter 2004 was $805.9 million of which most of it came from Adwords and Adsense.

Quite staggering really, although I still find the type of ads that appear on the EF site sometimes amusing....:D

I want to be able to order a pizza in PE. Pop in my order, have it charged against my PED accopunt and 30 min later they deliver it to my door.

Thanks what I want.

DD
:evilking:

Devil Doll said:
I want to be able to order a pizza in PE. Pop in my order, have it charged against my PED accopunt and 30 min later they deliver it to my door.

Thanks what I want.

DD
:evilking:

that will probably be the next thing.
of course you will be paying twice the normal amount, it will be virtual and will take 6 weeks to get to you.

well if the advertising don't disturb our gaming and consist only on bill board on the city's then i say go for it!!!
and about your ideia DD i like it!!! but for some reason no one wants to deliver pizza to my street. why my god, why??? :banghead:

wanda said:
that will probably be the next thing.
of course you will be paying twice the normal amount, it will be virtual and will take 6 weeks to get to you.

Hmm- hehe, perhaps...
although one of the new versions of, I believe, XBOX (or is it Playstation) includes that very thing.... same price pizza (for Pizza Hut) delivered with 30 min as usual ;)

The billboards & the audio ad's are already in game as it is, But they don't bring any benefits to us because they are for companies that don't exist.

If MA where to bring in advertisment for real companies, there wouldn't be too much of a diffrence from what there is at the moment. Since this would be an extra income for MA they need not rely on it, So if advertisers tried to force MA to put adverts everywhere. MA can easily tell them to take a hike.

Also most companies do rebrand to suit their target audience. For example scotlands 'other national drink' IRN-BRU have changed their name(from Iron Brew in the 1940's to make if stand out from other cheap rip-offs), there slogan(from 'Made in Scotland, from Girders' to the current 'Phenomenal'), and have even started to use english actors in their adverts so they can expand their english market(as can be seen here ). Now just about everything to do with this companies marketing has changed to suit it's audience, And it has proven to be sucessfull because Irn-Bru is the only soft drink which outsells Coca Cola in a particular country (apart from Inca Kola in peru, but since coca-cola owns Inca Kola it kind of defeats the point).

Anyway i'm abit drunk and rambling. So i'll start to wrap it up. Companies will produce adverts that will blend into the look & feel of the game if it brings them more profit & since this sort of advertising is relatively cheap they will do so.

We will suffer from no extra advertisments only diffrent ones.

It will only benefit our gameplay by producing more loot, better servers and more upgrades.

I am all for it.

Im in a virtual universe to not to see every days RL commercials... if this will happen within PE it is destroyed for me

Just posting to this 15 year old thread. Should there not be an automatic "lock thread" after, say one year ? I can not see anything here that really applies to anything the might helps today. I also looked at some of the players and most of them have not played in years, like 10 years.

Status
Back