In your wildest dreams...what would you like MA to do to space in June??

re space loots and lootable avatars in space pvp.

I like the idea of some ammo cost being returned on death of a ship.. makes friendly duels affordable, and would doubtless increase space activity and thereby MA's overall income.

But the looting of individuals is what has created the great divide in opinion and the 'hatred' of piracy. A simple solution would be to keep it as lootable pvp but limit the risk, to say 10% or 20% of carried lootables.

This would encourage smugglers to take the risk, (and yes I know I should want them to use warp service instead) and thus increase pirate activity. A more regular chance of smaller loots rather than a rare large hit might actually be more profitable for pirates, less likely to bankrupt the foolhardy, and take a lot of the sting out of that first time killed in space, for the new player.

Oh and can we please have the weapon range of all space going vessels made the same. It is ridiculous that the slower moving privateers can be shot down by quads that are completely out of gun range.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this subject :)

I can live with that :cool:

But the looting of individuals is what has created the great divide in opinion and the 'hatred' of piracy. A simple solution would be to keep it as lootable pvp but limit the risk, to say 10% or 20% of carried lootables.

I'd settle for that.

This would give pirates a failsafe way to loot other players, because they can only ever be lootet back for 10-20% of what they just stole from their prey...
No need to bother anymore if you can make it out of an encounter alive you just have to live long enough to successfully loot once.
I personally look forward to a much wider use of the cargo container system not just for missions but also for direct stackable transport by players in cargo boxes that get dropped in space and are lootable when an avatar is killed. This could even open up a complete range of new products - special high security cargo boxes that have to be 'hacked' to loot their interior (the cargo boxes TT value could be a minimum loot reward for the effort of hacking it in case the box is empty). Such a process could require skills and time in which someone could launch a rescue mission for personal cargo - allowing players to create additional missions with set rewards for retrieving lost cargo (the boxes could broadcast a tracking signal) / securing a location / destroying targets that carry a 'bounty'.

Player created missions taken one step further could lead to 'event/mission terminals' in space were players can set mission objectives, write mission lore, set tasks and add prizes - such missions could be taken by a set number of participants who purchase the event/mission ticket and follow the given storyline.
A new version of space events in which to compete against each other, with a set amount of risk and reward.

Last edited:
This would give pirates a failsafe way to loot other players, because they can only ever be lootet back for 10-20% of what they just stole from their prey...
No need to bother anymore if you can make it out of an encounter alive you just have to live long enough to successfully loot once.
I personally look forward to a much wider use of the cargo container system not just for missions but also for direct stackable transport by players in cargo boxes that get dropped in space and are lootable when an avatar is killed. This could even open up a complete range of new products - special high security cargo boxes that have to be 'hacked' to loot their interior (the cargo boxes TT value could be a minimum loot reward for the effort of hacking it in case the box is empty). Such a process could require skills and time in which someone could launch a rescue mission for personal cargo - allowing players to create additional missions with set rewards for retrieving lost cargo (the boxes could broadcast a tracking signal) / securing a location / destroying targets that carry a 'bounty'.

Player created missions taken one step further could lead to 'event/mission terminals' in space were players can set mission objectives, write mission lore, set tasks and add prizes - such missions could be taken by a set number of participants who purchase the event/mission ticket and follow the given storyline.
A new version of space events in which to compete against each other, with a set amount of risk and reward.

Some of this could be done simply by reinstating the old mining "strange signal" or rather a variation of it. Also gives someone else a chance to stumble onto the cargo randomly. Either way it shouldn't be that tough to re-implement and modify to fit a space situation.

Yet another mob train and pvp discussion:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?273394-What-do-you-make-of-this-(Mobtrain)

Not meaning to drag the drama over into this thread again, only to illustrate the idea: Has anyone ever used or tried to use a mob train in space as a weapon, whether in aggressive or defensive manner? I only know it is done for repair skilling. As I'm lacking the experience, is it conceivable to work with a small ship in a similar manner as on the ground? If not, could folks imagine to want it were doable? It sure looks like fun, or could be used as a "wall of protection". Don't know how fast these mobs move, maybe some fine tuning is all it takes.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?273394-What-do-you-make-of-this-(Mobtrain)

Not meaning to drag the drama over into this thread again, only to illustrate the idea: Has anyone ever used or tried to use a mob train in space as a weapon, whether in aggressive or defensive manner? I only know it is done for repair skilling. As I'm lacking the experience, is it conceivable to work with a small ship in a similar manner as on the ground? If not, could folks imagine to want it were doable? It sure looks like fun, or could be used as a "wall of protection". Don't know how fast these mobs move, maybe some fine tuning is all it takes.

Mobs can be used as an offensive and defensive weapon. However -- only the right type, in large enough quantities and in the right place. A highly skilled pilot and strong ship is essential to pull it off. But very feasible.

If you do not have the above in place, then there are several reasons why it would not work.

Oh and can we please have the weapon range of all space going vessels made the same. It is ridiculous that the slower moving privateers can be shot down by quads that are completely out of gun range.

I thought this was rectified with the release of the higher armament devices, allowing more guns to be enabled. Is it the case that with the highest known armament device on a privateer, that the quads and other ships can still shoot from out of range?

The privateers always had the advantage of the tail gun over a ms, and we all know the sheer size of the MS made her rear the prime target for out of range attacks, however the higher armament devices solved this issue for MS. Would be interesting to find out where the weakness of the privateer lies if this was not resolved, although I understand if you don't want to discuss that here.

My personal record is 12 or 14 (can't recall recall, either of them) locusts trained behind a normal quad. With captain offline, the repairmen needs to bring damage to the ship in other ways ;)

Locustas are tough though, since as soon as you make a turn that is a bit to hard they will catch up. Equus would be perfect for this, but never got around to try it while I had one myself.

Rollback to VU 8.12 :yup:

I thought this was rectified with the release of the higher armament devices, allowing more guns to be enabled. Is it the case that with the highest known armament device on a privateer, that the quads and other ships can still shoot from out of range?

The privateers always had the advantage of the tail gun over a ms, and we all know the sheer size of the MS made her rear the prime target for out of range attacks, however the higher armament devices solved this issue for MS. Would be interesting to find out where the weakness of the privateer lies if this was not resolved, although I understand if you don't want to discuss that here.

I have armament device II in but I've not yet had the opportunity to check either the range or the number of gunner seats that are now enabled. However, a privateer does not have any blind spots and if all the guns are usable at the same time, four can bear directly ahead, three directly astern, and four to either side, above or below.

That's roughly 1200 damage points for a four gun salvo and 900 for the three directly astern (not counting crits)

The guns on a Privateer are most definitely shorter range than Quad and MS guns. Higher lvl armament devices do not increase the gun range, only the number of simultaneously usable gunner seats.

The guns on a Privateer are most definitely shorter range than Quad and MS guns. Higher lvl armament devices do not increase the gun range, only the number of simultaneously usable gunner seats.

As far as i recall all guns in space should have same range - the only difference is positioning of turrets in comparison to defenders and attackers hitbox - you may have to switch to the appropriate turret or roll the ship in case of an attack to get the upper guns closer.

We need a black hole. Just like planets have undergrounds, you get sucked in and find yourself on the other side of space, maybe a mining/hunting area with exclusive ores/DNA to craft exclusive gear/weps, etc.

too see a download link to an offline client for vu9.4

and actual items in loot no matter how crap they are(would be good if they were useful though)... beats ammo which I'll tt just the same

We need a black hole. Just like planets have undergrounds, you get sucked in and find yourself on the other side of space, maybe a mining/hunting area with exclusive ores/DNA to craft exclusive gear/weps, etc.

There is a black hole. It's inside the crafting machine. . :D

New here, imo that should be top priority:
-get rid of pvp on space in general, add some pvp zones on each planet server
-make space wider (longer trip)
-add different kinds of mobs
-add space shops, you would sell fuel, spare parts, space loot
-and the most importan of all give me the ability to shrink progress window again. I'm lucky I'm a pet hater or I woudn't have nothing on screen but these two windows.

Back