Intentionally misleading?

Recently, I was on the hunt for T3 components to level my fancy, shmancy Eon Armor (which I am no longer selling because I decided it's too awesome ;) ) So, I did what any self-respecting (and money saving) Entropian would do: I turned to the wiki for information to help me in my hunts.

Curiously enough, I recognized that "Often" was labeled ONLY for those areas' mobs which have a 5% tax on them and, after cycling thousands of PED on each mob...I can tell you that they certainly do NOT drop often. In fact, they even dropped less "often" than the "common" dropping mobs that I hunt in untaxed areas on Caly - the planet which is notoriously bad for dropping anything besides shrap in medium quantities.

It was then that I realized that literally ANYONE can edit the wiki...

I'm not naming names...but I find it highly suspicious that it is only in these taxed areas where the T3 comps are labeled as dropping "often", and having tested it for myself I can say that it is a straight lie that they drop often or, at the very least, a gross accidental exaggeration.

This raises a question...should the wiki be moderated more heavily? Should there be official nomenclature instead of someone simply "deciding" how "often" an item drops? (i.e. "often means that, on average, said item drops x times in y # of kills)

Thoughts?

I'm not sure, but if you want to loot T3 comps on Caly you generally grind Thorifoids in the cyclops depths.

I noticed that too John, seems that a lot of items don’t have the appropriate frequency unfortunately.

dont forget, wiki is nowadays mostly an archive , and doesnt hold the latest infos on many things..
in past they used to drop more ... and since wiki is player entered/updated.....the frequency drop wasnt updated since yrs on many things.
gl,
Eddie

The wiki is a community contribution free to us players. If you want moderation that means somebody must volunteer a large amount of their time to police and maintain the entries. Unless you are personally going to volunteer for this I don’t think it’s right to criticise it’s inaccuracies. We are all collectively responsible here. I had the same mindset when I started and when this point was realised to me it pushed me to make corrective edits on the wiki when I found a problem instead of blame it for being wrong.

Drop rate data is always going to be messy, T3 drop in waves and in very small amounts, getting accurate results is going to be tough for anyone.

Also if somebody finds a mob that drops T3s out of its wazoo I don’t think they would be very inclined to update the wiki and give away their money maker.

Also you must remember that drop rates can be changed in a VU, so there will always be some lag as the tables get updated, if at all.

dont forget, wiki is nowadays mostly an archive , and doesnt hold the latest infos on many things..
in past they used to drop more ... and since wiki is player entered/updated.....the frequency drop wasnt updated since yrs on many things.
gl,
Eddie
Not true. The wiki is updated all the time. If you see something that isn't updated just update it, that's what wikis are for :)

Recently, I was on the hunt for T3 components to level my fancy, shmancy Eon Armor (which I am no longer selling because I decided it's too awesome ;) ) So, I did what any self-respecting (and money saving) Entropian would do: I turned to the wiki for information to help me in my hunts.

Curiously enough, I recognized that "Often" was labeled ONLY for those areas' mobs which have a 5% tax on them and, after cycling thousands of PED on each mob...I can tell you that they certainly do NOT drop often. In fact, they even dropped less "often" than the "common" dropping mobs that I hunt in untaxed areas on Caly - the planet which is notoriously bad for dropping anything besides shrap in medium quantities.

It was then that I realized that literally ANYONE can edit the wiki...

I'm not naming names...but I find it highly suspicious that it is only in these taxed areas where the T3 comps are labeled as dropping "often", and having tested it for myself I can say that it is a straight lie that they drop often or, at the very least, a gross accidental exaggeration.

This raises a question...should the wiki be moderated more heavily? Should there be official nomenclature instead of someone simply "deciding" how "often" an item drops? (i.e. "often means that, on average, said item drops x times in y # of kills)

Thoughts?
Even though I said the wiki is updated all the time there's still a lot of info, especially drop rate, that isn't up to date. This is not surprising since it's kind of difficult to set and test.
Not sure what mob you are referring to but you can always check the edit history of everything in the eu wiki (like any wiki).
If you refer to Togolossi you can see the history here. The entry was created 2014 and only "Latest VU" have been update since:
(click "history")
I'm not sure what the drop frequency is since I tend not to hunt taxed :) But I would imagine it would be safe to change it to "uncommon".

(And BTW: I would recommend Thorifoid for T3)

Its funny how those that always complain about inaccuracy of wiki entries never bother to update them. Part of the fun of entropia is figuring out information as Mindark does not provide a lot of information directly as thats part of the charm/challenge of the game. If you feel wiki is wrong, CHANGE it.

drop rates on everything change so frequently these days the wiki can't keep up. especially on less commonly hunted creatures.

it's a symptom of too much hunting and too little crafting imo.

Its funny how those that always complain about inaccuracy of wiki entries never bother to update them. Part of the fun of entropia is figuring out information as Mindark does not provide a lot of information directly as thats part of the charm/challenge of the game. If you feel wiki is wrong, CHANGE it.
Now that I know that there is an official standard for evaluating drop rates (thank you RobBuona!), I will be updating the wiki tonight. I don't like how you jumped to the conclusion that I was complaining without willingness to take action - no, rather I was simply at a soccer game with my girlfriend until just now.

The wiki is a community contribution free to us players. If you want moderation that means somebody must volunteer a large amount of their time to police and maintain the entries. Unless you are personally going to volunteer for this I don’t think it’s right to criticise it’s inaccuracies. We are all collectively responsible here. I had the same mindset when I started and when this point was realised to me it pushed me to make corrective edits on the wiki when I found a problem instead of blame it for being wrong.

Drop rate data is always going to be messy, T3 drop in waves and in very small amounts, getting accurate results is going to be tough for anyone.

Also if somebody finds a mob that drops T3s out of its wazoo I don’t think they would be very inclined to update the wiki and give away their money maker.

Also you must remember that drop rates can be changed in a VU, so there will always be some lag as the tables get updated, if at all.
I was not criticizing inaccuracies...rather, I was questioning why they existed. There is definitely a difference. Now that I know that there is a standard (again, thank you RobBuona!), I will certainly make updates to the wiki as warranted. I changed the three mobs that I found issue with just now.

Now that I know that there is an official standard for evaluating drop rates (thank you RobBuona!), I will be updating the wiki tonight. I don't like how you jumped to the conclusion that I was complaining without willingness to take action - no, rather I was simply at a soccer game with my girlfriend until just now.
"Official" is a term best used lightly. It's not that that particular categorization is particularly endorsed as you're losing a lot of variation and trying to categorize much rarer occurrences instead with the existing ranking. Short of when actual counts of mobs were reported that could give percentages, there isn't really an ideal system existing right now.

I have noticed the wiki be out of date on occasion. the issue is one of incentive. there's no PED incentive to share your information, which may have real value. on the other hand, if you gave wiki-editing a PED incentive, then you'd have junk edits just trying to cash in. what it really needs is for a small group of people (perhaps only a few) to be put on a modest retainer in exchange for regular, quality updates.

Back