Is PE a small world after all?

dlspiderdmb

Guardian
Society
Peaceful Torture
Dielle Cookie Spider
I am just curious, has anyone every run into to someone in PE that turned out to be someone they already knew IRL? Or had some other "small world" thing in common? :D

nope, not even close... I've never even run into someone who has HEARD of Entropia ;) Honestly

nope, not even close... I've never even run into someone who has HEARD of Entropia ;) Honestly

LOL, me either. In fact, I try not to talk about it because I get made fun of! :ahh:

I bore the a$$ off people at work about the place:yay: I think they were ready to call the funny farm when I said I had just spent 2k on my "imaginary" FAP :laugh:

Have yet to meet anyone who has heard of EU outside of the poor schmucks at work with blood pouring from their ears ;)

World inside EU is small... RL world is big...

No... Never bumped in to someone IRL that plays EU...

I've never met someone that had even heard of it, and upon explaining what it is I'm almost always ridiculed. Usually the conversation goes something like.. 'Oh.. is that like that wow thing?'. :ahh:

Likewise, people have heard of Second Life (often because BBC News 24 for example cover it in programmes fairly often) but publicity of Entropia isnt just lacking.

It's non existent.

Likewise, people have heard of Second Life (often because BBC News 24 for example cover it in programmes fairly often) but publicity of Entropia isnt just lacking.

It's non existent.

Its in swedish newspapers sometimes...

It's non existent.

lol very true.. I think my wife has had enough of me talking about it.. and my friends think i am wired when i start talking about sweating creatures for money.

ahh the fun of EU

:ahh:umm:tapfingererr... I ran across someone in game who lives apx 5 min from me! I havent seen him "in person" yet, but probally will before X-mas.

I wish!

I met 2 people (a couple) in game who live within a half an hour of me.

And just the other day I met someone in EF chat who lives within a few minutes from where I work...

But that's it. :(

That's why we need bumper stickers or something to tell us apart! ;-)

I've never met someone that had even heard of it, and upon explaining what it is I'm almost always ridiculed. Usually the conversation goes something like.. 'Oh.. is that like that wow thing?'. :ahh:

Yep that about sums it up. then i try to explain to them about the RCE and people just dont get it.

Short answer: Same thing here. Never met another EU ava IRL, and get made fun of when I try to pimp it up.

I'll add an interesting (to me, anyway) anecdote about a real world example of just how small this world really is. I grew up in a small town of about 25k, and had a relatively small group of people I called friend. After joining the US Marine Corps, I moved some 1800 miles from home to Camp Pendleton, where my Wife worked in an off base hospital as an emergency room admissions clerk. She had one co-worker that I often heard about but never met until several months passed. When I did meet her, I remarked that her last name (which is very rare) is the same as a friend of mine in High school -- who turned out to be her older brother. If you are thinking "so what" after reading this, it may interest you to know that I have FOUR stories of running into someone that are either more bizzarre or more unlikely than this one. One of them involves the serendipitous recovery of lost medical data after 2 years, 2000 miles away (by running into 1 of just 2 people in the world with the knowledge -- who was visiting someone in a medical building I had been sent to). Another one involves running into a familiar face in a bar nearly half way around the world, someone I had met only once several years earlier.

My conclusion: the reason we live in "a small world" is because we connect very well in it, and the reason EU doesn't have this is that there is nothing small about our real world -- the (inflated) EU population isn't nearly large enough to overcome the odds of a coincidental/chance meeting very often.

New met a person who played EU :silly2: Then you need the explaine it and they always think it is like a secondlife-Wow ripoff.
But you must forgive that pll. Noobs need to learn :D

I will say that I've had plenty of "small world" experiences in game.

For instance, in my first week playing in game, I bought a couple of pieces of pixie off a guy at Port Atlantis. Added him to my fl, but never talked to him. Then about 5 months later, I finish a tp run, and there he is standing right next to the TP.

That kind of thing happens regularly!

Lol ive got like 3 ppl to play entropia. But other ppl just think of it as some wow thing, but im like no! its way better than wow!. lol. Ya i bore the hell out of ppl talking about it alot. But no, ive never met somone in the game that i know in rl.

yes

i have met 2 friends from my city which recognized me on pics from the convention..

also meeting players there adds to that number as i now met quite a few now :)

it is indeed interesting

but out of thast i ha several experiiences like menationed above be4 :p

travel and information is easier today so it makes even the real world small.

My Ra plays eu?

Last year i was a freshman, and new to my university. I had a computer job in the residence hall. while meeting my residence director, with my residence advisor's I mentioned that I played Entropia universe all the time. One of the RA's propped up and was like, really? like the old P.E.? and I was like yea. Needless to say we both spent way to much time on the game. hes moved on, but I stick around at times.

Never met any of my IRL acquaintances inside Entropia... and as many has said in this thread, nobody knows about Entropia when I talk about it.

I always start to get this weird look when I explain to people that it is somewhat like Second Life only you use real money to buy your virtual stuff. You all know what I mean. ;)

Yes.... More MindArk PR is needed. Enough of the big purchase PR stuff. This only goes so far. They need a better targeted PR audience.

Do any of you guys know of someone that plays this IRL thingy? I'm really interested in giving it a go!

I bumped into someone that works where I do that plays. Don't remember the details of how I figured out that he played EU, but it was an interesting coincidence. It was funny, because he had just sold a Freand Alpha for 10k to some guy on the auction.... hehe, good times.

:umn::smirk::ninja:

Noone I've met has ever heard of the game... I am quite big into my lanning, attending a few 100-200 person events a month, always get asked if it is like WoW when I mention it...

it usually goes a little something like this....

"you put how much money into an online game?!?"

its not my fault i dont waste all of my money on buying beer for parties on the weekend :p

No never met anyone who has heard of EU let alone is on it. I did try and tell people about it but all i got was abuse lol. My brother thinks i'm mad spending real money to help me kill computer monsters :laugh: oh well i keep on saving up and spending more, maybe i am mad??

I am just curious, has anyone every run into to someone in PE that turned out to be someone they already knew IRL? Or had some other "small world" thing in common? :D

People in my life have no idea I sit here at my pc, mindlessly clicking away at my left mouse button *shoot/kill/no loot/shoot kill/loot/shoot kill/ no loot.

Is it just me, but does anyone else write dyslexic after a few drinks?

bit off topic that question.

Just wondered :laugh:

Of the few ppl that I have brought into Entropia, 2 of them I haven't even seen yet in EU, so the idea of me bumping into someone I know irl is very remote. Come to think of it, that would be an interesting scenario tho..

The odds of 'bumping' into someone you know irl and actually recognizing them in EU would be astronomical!

[Ossipon] Hey there
[irl friend] Hey
[Ossipon] So, this place is so much fun
[irl friend] Hey, I know a guy who says that same thing irl
[Ossipon] Wait a minute, is that you Dave?
[irl friend] Karl? Is that you?
[Ossipon] Hey Dave, I still have your snow-shovel.

and so on and so on... you get my point! :D

i cant say ive had an experience of this however i recall an awesome post to a thread similar to this that went along the lines of .........

one of those all to familiar kill x amount of mobs and see what happens this one was with a mad IV and big amp and basically he went at it so hard he had to stop due to rsi in his wrist. when he went to the gp(doctors) his doctor recognised him from eu as she was one of the members following his thread and advised him to cut back on the hunting :laugh:

i mean what are the chances of that haahaha

Can't say I ever ran into anyone in EU that I already knew or even met in real life. Know of basically 0 people that know of EU.

Back