Is the lack of recorded history ingame a problem?

Is the lack of recorded history ingame a problem?

• No, it's not a problem.

Votes: 37 24.0%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Yes, it might be a problem. But I don't really care.

Votes: 29 18.8%
  • Yes, it is a big problem. MA/FPC should do something.

Votes: 38 24.7%
  • Yes, it is a big problem. We as participants should do something.

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • Yes, it is a huge problem!!!

Votes: 18 11.7%

• Total voters

DeeDee

Prowler
Society
Entropia Pioneers
Dee Dee Deranged
MA has always said that they want Entropia to evolve together with the participants. And to certain extent we certainly have an impact.
However, I don't think that this is very much noticable in game.

Entropia has been around for several years now. But there is very little in game that show signs of the history this world has, or who it is that has made an impact.

99.9% of all recorded Entropia history is to be found on forums. And I think this is a huge problem. Especially since there is nothing being done to preserve this. Both the official Mindark forum and the Entropia Pioneers forum has died, gone and been almost forgotten. And hardly any of that history is now available.

In 10 years maybe EF is gone too..

Is this a problem for you?

Also, feel free to point out things in game that actually are good examples of recorded history. Or come with suggestions on how it could be improved.

Last edited:
Id like to see item loot history added to items. Would be nice to see who first discovered it and when etc

well..

yes... it's a big problem... yes, some of us do remember the days before ef... Yes, pioneers is gone and has been a while... the real problem is MA doesn't even record the history in their own website for version updates and things.... at one point in time earlier this year/late last year I was going to try to work with FPC to build a big and unique book, but that is called off since it's something that is really WAY too big for any one person to do... at least not without a lot of community help... The other issue is that any book or written thing about the virtual world will be out dated in no time since so many blasted changes happen so fast... How many times can you count some massive change in the rce due to a vu update? How many FPC events can you count that resulted in new unique items being created out of thin air... there's a bunch of history, and someone should document it... but who? Remember, irl historians re-write history books on a regular basis... in a virtual world where there's no record of anything that can be proven that happened in the past... it's a whole new bunch of problems and issues... Who's not to say Marco didn't show up Twin last night and hand out 50 new unique items when all that there is to prove or disprove it is some chat logs - text files that anyone can edit...

Another REALLY, REALLY, REALLY big problem is Marco and friends love drama... at least on some level... so any history book or whatever will be outdated as soon as they read it because it's a dynamic virtual world and is intended to be so... in other words, anything that we think we have nailed down as a stable thing in the economy or world can and will change so that it's no longer stable... such is the problem we run in to having people with real pen and paper role playing roots continuously re-writing the programming behind our virtual world. It a paradox... an artistically interesting paradox, but a paradox nevertheless. How do you make something stable economically and dynamic at the same time?

Last edited:
the loss of EP was a huge blow to our past

MM-You still haven't learned sentences or paragraphs have you?

Paragraphs and sentences are an old form of communication... I, being an artist type irl, actually prefer to explore new ways of communication, included but not limited to actually participating in the virtual world inside of Entropia Universe...

I like stream of consciousness writing in my posts because it allows me to get thoughts out in there raw form, without a lot of boring editing that kills them and limits the ideas in to preconcieved forms that dead, old English teachers made up hundreds of years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_of_consciousness

It's really almost a poetic way of writing... Virginia Woolf and T. S. Eliot's writings are awesome. Try reading them sometime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_of_consciousness_(narrative_mode)

The problem is you are all living in the past and not looking to the future.

IF a lack of history bothers you, then start from now. Pull out a notepad, and write/publish all the notable things than happen. :wtg:

The problem is you are all living in the past and not looking to the future.
History has a way of repeating itself... ;)

Here's a suggestion... let's have the community as a whole do archives of the stuff more often... All you really need is the Alexa toolbar so that the stuff goes in to the Way Back Machine. http://www.archive.org/about/faqs.php#The_Wayback_Machine

Also, if you want local mirror archives, there's software to do that...
hhtrack is great for that. http://www.httrack.com/page/2/

I think entropiaforum is on twitter now too, but that's pretty limiting in what it can do.

Last edited:
No it isn't - for the reason that the community is the history. If we all should quit one day and a new generation of players takes over, legends would be build up and important history will live on.

Actually at some aspects, the fact that there are no very exact records makes EU even a tad more interesting, i think it gives some additional fascination to it.

If you could simply look up everything that ever happened, where would the storytelling about EU go ;)

MA has always said that they want Entropia to evolve together with the participants. And to certain extent we certainly have an impact.
However, I don't think that this is very much noticable in game.

Entropia has been around for several years now. But there is very little in game that show signs of the history this world has, or who it is that has made an impact.

99.9% of all recorded Entropia history is to be found on forums. And I think this is a huge problem. Especially since there is nothing being done to preserve this. Both the official Mindark forum and the Entropia Pioneers forum has died, gone and been almost forgotten. And hardly any of that history is now available.

In 10 years maybe EF is gone too..

Is this a problem for you?

Also, feel free to point out things in game that actually are good examples of recorded history. Or come with suggestions on how it could be improved.

I think it would be good if FPC provided a history of Planet Calypso. But there are bigger priorities atm IMO (Mindforce, mentoring, etc.)

I am trying... see links in sig ;) But most of those are not up to date for the reasons mentioned above (lot of work for one person).

IF a lack of history bothers you, then start from now. Pull out a notepad, and write/publish all the notable things than happen. :wtg:

I am trying... see links in sig ;) But most of those are not up to date for the reasons mentioned above (lot of work for one person).

The problem as I see it is two fold.
First, recording history at all. And second, that it should be available in game (avatars and events should make a mark on the world), and not be dependant on forums and websites.

Thank you for trying your best on gathering them :)

My guess is that MinArkFirPlaCom is purposefully distancing themselves from the history of the game in order to creatively reinterpret "Entropian Canon" when it suits their needs. The dearth of references to the distant past on any official MA/FPC site helps insulate them from howls of derision emanating from we, the ever dwindling contingent of PE born elders… long suffering from chronic storyline anemia. I wouldn't be at all surprised when the new planets come online, if the original planetary system (including my avatar's home world) is conveniently wiped from all memory & replaced with a shiny new set of heavenly bodies. Sadly, I don't think many would care or even take notice.

by the way... PERC rules! :yay: (anyone remember the url? & I'll check out the wayback machine for primo dose of sweet nostalgia)

We can only hope that the design team reads this thread and do something about it. Would be neat with a museum of some sort where they display things pre VU 10 when Calypso did change. According to storyline the Titan impact did change the planet and now it has gone some time while we was on the EBN space station waiting for things to cool down down at the surface. Now we are returning back to explore the new Calypso. This big change in Calypsos history would be story linewise be worth to tell to all new players. A memorial place where historical things could be displayed.

Why not do a collective attack of the robots at Hades crater and get rid of them and use that place for this. So we never forget what happened.

EDIT:
There is also several attempts of players to gather EU history. This is one example: http://unionova.eu/eu/history/

Last edited:
i remember something about another mmorpg..
the players became the government, and the makers did only provide new content..
i don't know how or why, but i relate that to this thread
Posted via Mobile Device

The problem as I see it is two fold.
First, recording history at all. And second, that it should be available in game (avatars and events should make a mark on the world), and not be dependant on forums and websites.

I totally agree.... legend and lore can make a huge difference in retaining and recruiting new players. The news stories about $1 million sales are dandy, but in many ways that may have a different message to the casual gamer: You don't have enough money to survive in EU.

News stories about that avatar (forget the name) that used 1,000,000 rounds of ammo (old time ammo, not the new crap) in a day would be welcome too I think.

News stories about that avatar (forget the name) that used 1,000,000 rounds of ammo (old time ammo, not the new crap) in a day would be welcome too I think.

I think that was stryker on longu's :)

I think that was stryker on longu's :)

In the past MA has named a few items from prominent avatars, and if they chose to honor Stryker, they probably just would name a weapon after him.

But what they could do instead, to make this a heritage for the coming players, to give the world more soul and really tell the story behind it, they could say make an ammo store somewhere with his name and a plaque on the wall telling his story. Possibly giving Stryker a small booth in the store to use as he wish.

And this could be done in many different ways. Skam could get a journalist office in an EBN building, instead of just a handbag. There could be medals to everyone landing a shot on a Wastelander during an event. There could be posters posted and distributed in various ways in game about some robot attack. There could be statues of avatars. There could be books in loot, or crafted (?), telling stories about what has transpired.. etc etc.

Last edited:
Its not a problem but it is a feature that could be implemented.

Any more thoughts and ideas?

Maybe ... an in-game something or other depicting Who's Who and those who have made major contributions to the community and its growth as a colony. I'm not doing the Who's Who articles any more for some very specific reasons, but it doesn't mean that it will never happen again. It would just be nice if MA would get their head out of their pockets long enough to recognize the very large number of citizens of Calypso who have dedicated a great deal of time, energy, and finances toward building our community. It would go a long way toward relationship building, not to mention (perhaps) more support for what they're attempting to do.

Indeed, and by letting these avatars make a mark on our world, they will keep being an inspiration long after they have gone.

Hmm not so much as a problem as in it wouldn't affect gameplay to any great extent BUT it would make a hellova good read to see what extraordinary things have been achieved throughout the history of the game.

I think back directly to when we discovered you could swim sth from Troy or west from PA and after about 2 hrs you would be on Amathera lolol (wasn't support surprised when about 12 of us got stuck there and due to not having a lvl20 skill, couldn't log back in & support had to relocate all of us). But added to that things like who unlocked certain high-level skills first or discovered an item or place first. All sorts of very interest piffle there to keep an avid entropian engrossed for hours lol. These sorts of 'historical' facts are what they are and no matter how "dynamic" EU professes to be - history will never change.

For sure my copy of the book would have pride of place in my crapper any day :laugh:

Last edited:
It is so sad that EP does not excist anymore!!!

Anyone still is in contact with Stumdoes? Maybe he has a back-up somewhere that we could use!

I used to go back to EP from time to time to check up on some old stuff, and it was always fun browsing through the old threads!

FPC would like to add more and more history and honors ingame. Atm we are however juggling this against other projects and we cannot do it all with the current manpower and the other projects get priority. But it is a thing that is high on my things-to-add list for the future.

FPC would like to add more and more history and honors ingame. Atm we are however juggling this against other projects and we cannot do it all with the current manpower and the other projects get priority. But it is a thing that is high on my things-to-add list for the future.

Thats's good to know! :)

Back