Suggestion: Item rental terminal

JanOaki

Dominant
Krystal Jan Oaki
Introduce a new item in game "Rental terminal". Looks like a vending machine that can display 1-2 items (possibly 7 so full sets of armor can be displayed?). Can be displayed in a property you own.People can go and rent items for amount specified and number of days,deposit is required for amount of TT value. After the timer expires, item will be automatically returned to rental terminal. Deposit will be deducted for the difference in TT value and returned to player(if item is returned full repaired then full deposit is refunded).Mind ark takes a small fee like auction house.

Benefits :
1)Helps players rent out items easily and no need big collateral.

2)Improve the property market as there is now extra need for it

3)Items can now have additional way to generate revenue so it will encourage people to buy more items

Last edited:
Has been requested countless times. If I recall, MA has already said they will not add this type of feature.
I personally don’t think this would be a good thing. Wealthier players would buy up all the Uber items and have a monopoly on all the good gear. Driving prices for these type of items much higher than they already are.

yup that is interesting, especially since you are protected, and the item will be automatically returned, rather then 'all trades are final'
However there need to be limitations. If not, a bunch of rich people will simply buy up all the items there are, and monopolize renting with huge profits.

On top of that, MA can set other limitations in such a way that 1 gun can only be rent out 1x during a mayhem event. By doing this, we won't have a top10, with 5 avatars who used 1 gun...

Last edited:
Sure, limiting gear to a few people that can generate more income by just renting them out. How could that go wrong?
If you're not using an item, sell it.

Reactions: Geo
A Step forward to crush the market of L items

Has been requested countless times. If I recall, MA has already said they will not add this type of feature.
I personally don’t think this would be a good thing. Wealthier players would buy up all the Uber items and have a monopoly on all the good gear. Driving prices for these type of items much higher than they already are.
But it would allow you to use end gear equipment without having to take the risk of devaluation, without investing yourself the cash. Given that, it would also make the items keep their value for longer.
Wealthy players have such equipment already, it would just make it possible for you to use it too...
I would like such a system, I think it would be beneficial for the game.

But it would allow you to use end gear equipment without having to take the risk of devaluation, without investing yourself the cash. Given that, it would also make the items keep their value for longer.
Wealthy players have such equipment already, it would just make it possible for you to use it too...
I would like such a system, I think it would be beneficial for the game.
Why should you be spared the risk of devaluation as an investor? As others have stated, it would give owners a lifetime license to print money without any further input whatsoever. And take the items effectively out of the market, save for the rare occasions when they are recycled after your death in RL, or decide to quit the game for other reasons. Which renders the devaluation point mostly theoretical anyway.

I'm no anti-capitalist but that's really a wet dream and the motivation for asking this is quite transparent. In RL equivalent situations, like a second home or any kind of equipment you would let when not using it yourself, there are at least maintainance costs and organizational effort involved. In the digital world, the only cost would be opportunity cost if there were any other more attractive investment choices at all. TANSTAAFL.

As somebody who owns an item rental shop via the PCF, I agree that a terminal would be a poor idea. It would definitely be abused, and I don't think we want Mindark to have any more things on their plate to create support cases from bugs we know will happen, with items getting lost in the ether. And I especially don't like the idea of giving Mindark another way to take a cut of in game activities.

Why should you be spared the risk of devaluation as an investor? As others have stated, it would give owners a lifetime license to print money without any further input whatsoever. And take the items effectively out of the market, save for the rare occasions when they are recycled after your death in RL, or decide to quit the game for other reasons. Which renders the devaluation point mostly theoretical anyway.

I'm no anti-capitalist but that's really a wet dream and the motivation for asking this is quite transparent. In RL equivalent situations, like a second home or any kind of equipment you would let when not using it yourself, there are at least maintainance costs and organizational effort involved. In the digital world, the only cost would be opportunity cost if there were any other more attractive investment choices at all. TANSTAAFL.

You could be spared the risk, with such a system, as a user that would rent equipment.
A lifetime license to print money like CLDs? You don't have to do anything but to buy them and log off. Some LAs too, provided you gain more if you do some fancy events and some advertising. But there are many players tht o away for a period of time, sell high end equipment and buy deeds instead. Deeds increase in price and equipment looses value. Keeping the equipment and renting it via a system, the items would still loose value but much slower, imo.
There are many players that would rent some gear but miss collateral or reputation to get without collateral. Both owners and customers wold benefit, owners would have some trust in their items and why not, MA could tax this system. It would work as the banks I guess (never used one but I have an idea) and I frankly don't see a downside to this.

OFC, Dennis stated there are no plans for such a thing so there are very close to 0 chances to make it happen

And I especially don't like the idea of giving Mindark another way to take a cut of in game activities
You renting out equipment means more more ways for MA to take a cut, by allowing people to cycle more :D
You should want MA to make more money because it would mean that some of them would return to the game in the form of new content... no?

Last edited:
Yeah too bad MA stated they have no plans to implement such a system as Svarog posted...

Ultra high end items are already out of reach for 99% of the community anyway..this just give a chance for people to try them and at the same time people won't be worried about having PEDS stuck in items as it is some sort of revenue.

I dont see how this would drastically change the game as some are stating, you can do all these things on the live server right now, a proper system would just make it infinitely more convenient for both parties

You could be spared the risk, with such a system, as a user that would rent equipment.
A lifetime license to print money like CLDs? You don't have to do anything but to buy them and log off. Some LAs too, provided you gain more if you do some fancy events and some advertising. But there are many players tht o away for a period of time, sell high end equipment and buy deeds instead. Deeds increase in price and equipment looses value. Keeping the equipment and renting it via a system, the items would still loose value but much slower, imo.
There is no guarantee that the price of deeds always goes up and that their payouts never falter. That they do is a sign the company behind them is successful, just like with regular company shares on the stock market. It is exactly one out of many choices and every investor knows that you should spread risk because you have to expect any single one can fail one day. The "stock" we have here has an added entertainment value, other than that no difference.

About the value of in-game items, I said above this would be rather theoretical under a rental system because the good stuff would rarely ever hit the market again. If nobody sells their goose that lays golden eggs, what is the value of that goose? And then, the initial question above was, with good reason: Why should you be spared the risk?

MA has consistently said no to this idea.
MA does not support the rental of gear.
All trades are final.
Why should MA make it easier for people to monopolize the best gear in game?
I hope they never reconsider this.

MA has consistently said no to this idea.
MA does not support the rental of gear.
All trades are final.
Why should MA make it easier for people to monopolize the best gear in game?
I hope they never reconsider this.

If we are consistant with what you say, what I would tend to agree with, there should be no renting in game. Currently there is a LOT of renting in game.

Imo it should be one, or the other:
- either renting can be done officially, with limitations to avoid monopolization. (each person can rent out 1 weapon max, 1 fap max, etc)
- or gear need to be locked, when unlocked the gear cannot be relocked/used within 30 days, to avoid ppl swapping gear all the time.

I'm all for keeping the value of items in the game. I think everyone looses when items loose value drastically. There are people that would buy gear but they are scared, there are people who would keep the gear but they are scared and sell it at a loss to not loose even more. Maybe MA would be a bit bolder in making changes to the game and adding new content if things would keep their value better.

About the value of in-game items, I said above this would be rather theoretical under a rental system because the good stuff would rarely ever hit the market again.
This would be preferred instead of having a lot of them on the market at the same time. Frankly there wouldn't be much of a difference than today because right now you can barely find some gear to purchase. There are many types of items that haven't been on the market for some time.

If nobody sells their goose that lays golden eggs, what is the value of that goose?
Supply and demand would always answer this issue. As it is now it's not very easy to determine the value of an item.

And then, the initial question above was, with good reason: Why should you be spared the risk?
Maybe because:
- you create a demand for a service;
- you help keep the value of the items;
- you help keep the $ in game;
- your turnover goes up;
- it's easier to come back to the game.

Again, I know MA has no intent in pursuing this, I'm just arguing there would be some real benefits for the game (players and MA alike) if such thing would be implemented. (L) market would still hold, because the number of players is big compared to the UL gear that would go on rental.

If we are consistant with what you say, what I would tend to agree with, there should be no renting in game. Currently there is a LOT of renting in game.

Imo it should be one, or the other:
- either renting can be done officially, with limitations to avoid monopolization. (each person can rent out 1 weapon max, 1 fap max, etc)
- or gear need to be locked, when unlocked the gear cannot be relocked/used within 30 days, to avoid ppl swapping gear all the time.

Mayhem wins and strategy should be managed by players...you can just rent up the uber weapons during mayhem long enough to make sure no one gets it. If you think its worth the investment...

Back