JOHN BATES - Needs Our Help With SXSW

MindStar9

Self-Requested Deactivation
MindStar9
BACKGROUND

John asked if I would assist in bringing the community together to help him achieve the votes needed to get his proposed panel discussions on the agenda for the South by Southwest (SXSW) Interactive Festival being presented March 12th - 16th, 2010

He originally solicited our help on April 28th in this thread regarding ideas of interest to present as proposed panel discussions. The acceptance of proposal ideas was open from June 1st to July 10th.

I am passing on John's message to the community:

"Well, here is the big, big, big thing I could really use the community's help with. I have several panel possibilities going at South by Southwest. I believe it's the best Interactive conference going right now and I really want to have those panels picked as part of the conference. That's where ya'll come in... The panels are up, live on the Internet now in the SXSW Panel Picker and the online community is voting on them. If my panel suggestions get enough votes, we're on the conference program. Anyone can vote and this is a big deal for MA/FPC and me."​

CURRENT EVENTS

John now has two proposed topics of discussion that have been submitted to the SXSW Panel Picker, and are now ready for voting. This is where the Entropian community can greatly assist in assuring that these two proposed topics for discussion find their place on the panel.

First, here is a brief video that explains just how the Panel Picker works:

[YOUTUBE]5PHIQ8qJGqY[/YOUTUBE]​

WHAT WE NEED TO DO

Click on the two proposed discussion topic links shown below in the Voting section and vote with a "Thumbs Up" in order to help get these proposed topics included on the conference program.

Also, please pass the word on to friends, socmates, and other Entropians to assist in this effort. As John mentioned in his message to the community, this is a big deal, and support would be greatly appreciated. It would also be helpful for you to post either a link to this thread on your respective society websites, or create your own thread, post, identifier at your soc sites to bring attention to this effort. If you are a member at Twitter, it also wouldn't hurt to Tweet about it as well.

VOTING

Details of each proposed discussion topic can be found at their respective locations by clicking on the following links. Please vote a Thumbs Up in support of getting these topics on the conference program. Registration is required, but it's a very simple process.

TIME IS CRITICAL

Please be sure to cast your vote as soon as possible, as the voting will end at 11:59pm Central Time USA on Friday, September 4th. I believe that converts to 04:59 in-world time on Saturday, September 5th, but please advise if this is incorrect.

SXSW PANEL PROGRAMMING ANNOUNCEMENTS

The first batch of programming announcements will be made in early October, and an update will be given here at Entropia Forum as to the progress of John's two proposed topics of discussion.

In the meantime, please make an early effort to cast your votes for John's topics in hopes of getting them listed with the first programming announcement.

John says this community ROCKS and sends Hugs to all. :yay:

Last edited:
I gave it the two thumbs up :)

Cheers :beerchug:

I do need to register to vote right??

Yes, my bad for not mentioning ... and it's a rather easy process as well, so I'm hoping that members of the community won't be bothered too much by this, as it's for a great cause, and will benefit us if John gets to do his magic at the conference. :D

And to Tyler ... thank you very much for that link ... it hadn't been mentioned to me that Deathifier also had proposed topics, so let's all support "D" in his efforts as well. This is a good time for us to step up to the plate and show our backing of what these two do for our community.

Yes, my bad for not mentioning ... and it's a rather easy process as well, so I'm hoping that members of the community won't be bothered too much by this, as it's for a great cause, and will benefit us if John gets to do his magic at the conference. :D

Ohh no... Not a problem. Was just asking before I register to doublecheck if I have to. It takes 1 minute to do it all. Well worth it!

Ohh no... Not a problem. Was just asking before I register to doublecheck if I have to. It takes 1 minute to do it all. Well worth it!

I knew that my dear ;) ... was just apologizing for not initially mentioning that registration was required prior to being able to vote. Thank you for doing your part to help these guys out. These discussion topics are quite key at this time, and I think it will certainly be beneficial overall to get them on the conference program.

voted on both - please adjust my loot switch :D

Edit: voted for Deathifier too

Registered and voted on both topics

Bones

Just as an FYI ... I edited the original post with the note about required registration, as well as included Deathifier's Proposed Topic ... so be sure to vote for all 3 topics and support these guys in their efforts.

Thank You! :wtg:

Voted for all 3..

Particularly the one about inflation issues and such seems really interesting:)

also posted a link in my soc forum to this thread...

I will not give you – rep even that am really close to it, I don’t agree with this at all!

To me calling vote is open cheat am sry but in anything, if you are good or deserve thinks ppl will vote, this is open call and am really against this.:(

I hope he will get the spots but it will not be because of mine voice I hope he will get them because he is talented!

Gl to them, I really hope you understand the point I try to express.:ahh:

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

I will not give you – rep even that am really close to it, I don’t agree with this at all!

To me calling vote is open cheat am sry but in anything, if you are good or deserve thinks ppl will vote, this is open call and am really against this.:(

I hope he will get the spots but it will not be because of mine voice I hope he will get them because he is talented!

That's really a shame ... because both John Bates and Deathifier are doing a great service for our community. And besides ... it is not considered cheating, and here's why ... this is a procedure put into place by the SXSW people, and here is an excerpt from their own website ...

Does My Vote Count?

Yes, it absolutely does. SXSW is a community-driven event. So, knowing what kinds of topics you want to hear at the event next March is extremely important to us. Your voting accounts for about 30% of the decision-making process for any given programming slot.​

As you can see ... this is promoted and supported by SXSW, and not something that people are doing on their own as a way of cheating to get their discussion topics on the agenda. Did you not watch the video I added that explains all of this? :scratch2:

Also ... I am just the messenger, presenting this thread on behalf of John Bates who asked me to help get the word out to the community, which is exactly what others are doing who have submitted proposed topics for consideration on the agenda at this SXSW conference. It's beneficial if you review all information first before making judgment like this.

I sort of see what you're trying to say, and maybe if mindstar was asking us to create five accounts each, it would be cheating...

I think most of us are genuinely interested in what a Mindark official has to say on these topics, and about virtual economies in general...

Mobiliizing your support base (i.e. RCE participants in this case) is an important part of the democratic process, and it SHOULD matter if a couple hundred people are interested in a topic enough to register for the site and vote..

I didn't neg rep you either, because you weren't mean or off-topic in expressing your incorrect opinion..

That's really a shame ... because both John Bates and Deathifier are doing a great service for our community. And besides ... it is not considered cheating, and here's why ... this is a procedure put into place by the SXSW people, and here is an excerpt from their own website ...

Does My Vote Count?

Yes, it absolutely does. SXSW is a community-driven event. So, knowing what kinds of topics you want to hear at the event next March is extremely important to us. Your voting accounts for about 30% of the decision-making process for any given programming slot.​

As you can see ... this is promoted and supported by SXSW, and not something that people are doing on their own as a way of cheating to get their discussion topics on the agenda. Did you not watch the video I added that explains all of this? :scratch2:

Also ... I am just the messenger, presenting this thread on behalf of John Bates who asked me to help get the word out to the community, which is exactly what others are doing who have submitted proposed topics for consideration on the agenda at this SXSW conference. It's beneficial if you review all information first before making judgment like this.

I understand but what I think they mean by:

“Does My Vote Count?

Yes, it absolutely does. SXSW is a community-driven event. So, knowing what kinds of topics you want to hear at the event next March is extremely important to us. You’re voting accounts for about 30% of the decision-making process for any given programming slot.”

Is that they suspect the actual ppl that will intend to the conference to vote.
I really don’t want to get in bad terms with you I just told you how I feel about it (sry I did need to tell you about it).

I bet you intentions are all clean but I hope the most talented wins.

And I hope that ppl who will vote for the rest of participant will do so because they intend to actually go and listen to the conference.

And again I wish them both the best luck.:)

I sort of see what you're trying to say, and maybe if mindstar was asking us to create five accounts each, it would be cheating...

I think most of us are genuinely interested in what a Mindark official has to say on these topics, and about virtual economies in general...

Mobiliizing your support base (i.e. RCE participants in this case) is an important part of the democratic process, and it SHOULD matter if a couple hundred people are interested in a topic enough to register for the site and vote..

I didn't neg rep you either, because you weren't mean or off-topic in expressing your incorrect opinion..

Absolutely I will strongly encourage anyone to vote ‘IF’ they actually are interested in the conference.:wise:

Happy with mine bad speaking you kind understand why I was against it.:ahh:

Done and done...voted! (Cuz John likes the same Wine I do...free!!!! hehheh....Gotcha John!!!...when are you coming back to Montreal and howz that tera-byte drive working for you?)

“Does My Vote Count?

Yes, it absolutely does. SXSW is a community-driven event. So, knowing what kinds of topics you want to hear at the event next March is extremely important to us. You’re voting accounts for about 30% of the decision-making process for any given programming slot.”

I really don’t want to get in bad terms with you I just told you how I feel about it (sry I did need to tell you about it).

And I hope that ppl who will vote for the rest of participant will do so because they intend to actually go and listen to the conference.

I appreciate your response ... and respect where you're coming from. I agree that people should vote on merit and importance to what might benefit our community, not to mention voting on a topic that particularly interests them. However, I can't help but think that people voting on discussion topics to be presented at this conference would only vote on what was of interest to them.

Also ... most likely, the majority of us will not be able to attend SXSW, and therefore ... we are fortunate enough to have people like John Bates and Deathifier representing our community and putting forth great effort to get key topics on the panel for discussion. This can only be of benefit to MA/FPC and our Entropian community as a whole.

I know you mean well ... and I have no issue here with you at all Hon. I only want to make sure that you have a correct understanding of what this is all about, so if there's anything else I can help with, please let me know. ;)

“Does My Vote Count?

hmm...

if that's you're interpritation of it, i can see how you might see it as cheating...

by allowing an open registration and e-mail vote, I think they are well aware that not everyone who votes will be an attendee... if not, there would be other safeguards in place.

SXSW already indicated that the vote only constitutes part of the final decision... probably because of this... Noone can register 500 accounts and automatically get a conference about "Why should Papa Smurf be President", or something like that..

in other words, it's probably commonplace for for those with a proposed topic to try to get people to register.

so, if you hope John wins, go register, vote, and let them sort it out....

Voted and personaly would like to hear the lecture on balanceing hope it gets recorded.

Voted and personaly would like to hear the lecture on balanceing hope it gets recorded.

Good question ... I will ask John about this and see if there might be something available to us after the conference. However, I'm relatively certain that there will be a write-up on this after SXSW has concluded. First, we have to make sure that these discussion topics make the conference program. Thank you for your votes. ;)

I understand where you are coming from but wanted to give you a different perspective.

I am on the executive board of an association that has annual conferences that includes attendees from all over the world. In additon to that we have semi annual teleconferences with attendance from multiple countries as well.

We solicit our members for topics for both the annual event and the teleconferences and encourage everyone to participate in that process, even if they are not going to be able to attend.

We want to know what our peers want to hear about and their opinion is not lessened just because they may not be able to participate in person. Not all associations/conferences/groups such as this would consider it cheating to have those that are not attending express their opinions on what they want to have discussed.

My two pecs ... now back to the topic at hand :)

:thumbup:ed them up. Very Interesting :)

Voted for all 3! :yay:

Back