JOHN BATES - Needs Our Help With SXSW

voted 2 thumbs up for the last two topics. GL with that event :thumbup:

1st .. So nice to see no purple in first post ! :laugh:

Well then ... you should appreciate this. ;)

*it's the same as the link I provided below*

It's no offence to you MS9 but I can not vote on this. I am to biased on such a toppic and I refuse to vote here because I think the toppic is pretty cynic from MA's point of view...

Besides I think MA should really concentrate on getting this VU to work properely before doing anything else at all...

No offense taken my friend ... and I fully understand and appreciate where some are coming from with regard to their perspectives. I just took the time to give my own in my traditional EU State of Mind offering that perhaps some will find of interest.

Registered and voted on 3 topics.

Badboy

Clarification...

Anyone can vote, whether they're attending or not. The speeches and panels go up online and so they're available to anyone/everyone.
As I understand it, this is how it works. If our community pulls together and casts a lot of votes that is absolutely how it is supposed to work. No, do not create fake accounts, but YES, do vote if you're interested at all. Thanks for your commitment to integrity.
JKB

Absolutely I will strongly encourage anyone to vote ‘IF’ they actually are interested in the conference.:wise:

Happy with mine bad speaking you kind understand why I was against it.:ahh:

Thank you everyone! Keep speading the word!

I posted a reply to the bashings over on my thread regarding this - which points to MS9s extremely well done thread here! If you've been following that I hope you approve of my response.

And, thank you, everyone who has and will vote! I appreciate your support and I hope VU10 is treating you as well as possible. I know there are challenges, I also know they're being worked on like crazy.

Finally, slightly OT, and with full respect to all who are having issues with VU10.0, I think this is a great video for now... Kinda puts it all in perspective and hopefully makes you smile? Remember the First Golden Age? Seems so long ago!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFeI9od1M4w :laugh:

JKB

Finally, slightly OT, and with full respect to all who are having issues with VU10.0, I think this is a great video for now... Kinda puts it all in perspective and hopefully makes you smile? Remember the First Golden Age? Seems so long ago!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFeI9od1M4w :laugh:

JKB

It's longer ago than I remember. I'm sure some of the community members remember. I don't remember because I'm a CND baby and started late in 2005. Were you in the employ of MA or a Calypso colonist at that time, John? For some reason, I thought you started in 2006.

Besides I think MA should really concentrate on getting this VU to work properely before doing anything else at all...

In my opinion it's silly and impractical to expect every employee of MindArk/FPC to drop what they are doing right now and and focus on "getting this VU to work properly".

First of all, John Bates is a marketing expert and spokesperson for Entropia Universe, not a programmer or network technician. What exactly would you like him to do to fix things right now? :confused:

Secondly, MindArk's participation in events like SXSW (and conventions attended in the past, such as CES) is planned months in advance. Tons of work goes on behind the scenes in order to take part in such events and try to get the word out about Entropia Universe. This is John's area of expertise and he does an amazing job introducing the concept of Entropia Universe and its RCE to the 'outside world': media, potential corporate partners/planet partners, participants, etc.

Your comments seem to imply that John (and everyone else employed by or partnered with MindArk) should just abandon months of work and preparation, simply because the current implementation of VU10 is not yet fully completed? :scratch2:

MindArk is working very hard to get the new CryEngine VU10 stabilised, as evidenced by numerous patches released in the last 6 days, and yesterday's mini-update 10.0.4, which fixed many major issues. Long-time players such as yourself should know by now that major VU updates (and there has never been a VU update anywhere near the scale of VU10 in EU's history) always require several full-scale mini-updates (i.e. 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, etc.) to get everything working properly again. MindArk/FPC even prepared us in advance for a somewhat bumpy road ahead for the next few weeks while CryEngine is implemented and stabilised.

Thus, I find it short-sighted and somewhat immature when frustrated participants feel justified in bashing any and every effort by MindArk/FPC, simply because the current VU isn't as stable as they would like.

How many times has MA been criticised for not doing enough to promote Entropia Universe (several times by yourself in fact, if I recall correctly). Hundreds? Thousands?

Yet here you are, stating that such efforts should have low (or no) priority now, simply because you are unhappy with the current state of the VU, or believe that all of MA's resources (including, inexplicably, their marketing and business development departments) should be focused on programming/software development issues, and/or satisfying current participants (at the expense of growing the playerbase and expanding the universe). :dunno:

The dates of SXSW are set in stone. I'm sure John Bates would prefer to delay his SXSW panel presentations until VU10.5 or so arrives, when EU is completely stable and all systems are fully operational again. However, that is obviously not possible, but it does not mean that he and MindArk should "STOP EVERYTHING, FIX THE VU!!! PANIC PANIC!!!!!!"

In my opinion it's silly and impractical to expect every employee of MindArk/FPC to drop what they are doing right now and and focus on "getting this VU to work properly".

First of all, John Bates is a marketing expert and spokesperson for Entropia Universe, not a programmer or network technician. What exactly would you like him to do to fix things right now? :confused:

Secondly, MindArk's participation in events like SXSW (and conventions attended in the past, such as CES) is planned months in advance. Tons of work goes on behind the scenes in order to take part in such events and try to get the word out about Entropia Universe. This is John's area of expertise and he does an amazing job introducing the concept of Entropia Universe and its RCE to the 'outside world': media, potential corporate partners/planet partners, participants, etc.

Your comments seem to imply that John (and everyone else employed by or partnered with MindArk) should just abandon months of work and preparation, simply because the current implementation of VU10 is not yet fully completed? :scratch2:

MindArk is working very hard to get the new CryEngine VU10 stabilised, as evidenced by numerous patches released in the last 6 days, and yesterday's mini-update 10.0.4, which fixed many major issues. Long-time players such as yourself should know by now that major VU updates (and there has never been a VU update anywhere near the scale of VU10 in EU's history) always require several full-scale mini-updates (i.e. 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, etc.) to get everything working properly again. MindArk/FPC even prepared us in advance for a somewhat bumpy road ahead for the next few weeks while CryEngine is implemented and stabilised.

Thus, I find it short-sighted and somewhat immature when frustrated participants feel justified in bashing any and every effort by MindArk/FPC, simply because the current VU isn't as stable as they would like.

How many times has MA been criticised for not doing enough to promote Entropia Universe (several times by yourself in fact, if I recall correctly). Hundreds? Thousands?

Yet here you are, stating that such efforts should have low (or no) priority now, simply because you are unhappy with the current state of the VU, or believe that all of MA's resources (including, inexplicably, their marketing and business development departments) should be focused on programming/software development issues, and/or satisfying current participants (at the expense of growing the playerbase and expanding the universe). :dunno:

The dates of SXSW are set in stone. I'm sure John Bates would prefer to delay his SXSW panel presentations until VU10.5 or so arrives, when EU is completely stable and all systems are fully operational again. However, that is obviously not possible, but it does not mean that he and MindArk should "STOP EVERYTHING, FIX THE VU!!! PANIC PANIC!!!!!!"

While this is true, complaints should not be disencouraged completely. It has always been in the nature of customers to be quarrelsome and discontent, and to a certain extent such behaviour is necessary for companies to progress and improve.

However, I have observerd that much complaining is being done out of ignorance. This leads to repetitive whining, which serves absolutely no purpose except to destroy what precious communication we are trying to establish with MA staff.

This thread has been created to communicate, not to quarrel.

While this is true, complaints should not be disencouraged completely.

What part of my post that you quoted seemed to indicate that complaints should be discouraged completely? :confused:

I only ask that such opinions be expressed in relevant threads, and that some thought goes into a post, rather than simple unconstructive whining or complaining.

Literally thousands of complaint threads and posts have been posted here on EF over the past week, and not a single one has been deleted, so your comment seems unrelated to my previous post in this thread.

However, I have observerd that much complaining is being done out of ignorance. This leads to repetitive whining, which serves absolutely no purpose except to destroy what precious communication we are trying to establish with MA staff.

I agree, and much frustration and discontent could be avoided if more participants took the time to read the various announcements and information posted by MindArk/FPC on the Planet Calypso website, as well as here on EntropiaForum.

This thread has been created to communicate, not to quarrel.

Indeed, and this thread (along with the thread created by John Bates in the MindArk News forum) has little or nothing to do with the current issues associated with VU10. Nevertheless, many people find the need to whine and complain in any and every thread in which they post, unfortunately.

What part of my post that you quoted seemed to indicate that complaints should be discouraged completely? :confused:

I only ask that such opinions be expressed in relevant threads, and that some thought goes into a post, rather than simple unconstructive whining or complaining.

Just like books, some posts must be taken as a whole. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of each and every sentence of mine. I shall quote the traditional calypsian line: "I apologise for any inconvenience caused.":)

With the current situation in mind, I can understand your frustration. My condolences to you(perhaps this might cheer you up).

We should all stop being offtopic now.

vote for john, vote for .....what the name???? :ahh:

Yep voted for John and Deathifier, great to see them getting out and spreading the word.

Voted on all 3 thums up :D

Nice idea's and good questions ;)

:wtg:

Voted Thumbs up for all three, would love to see more people doing the same :yay:

I voted for all three.

Ill link to this thread in our soc forums and I will have the NBK society leaders get their people registered for the site and have them vote.

Others who want to help should also contact their friends and people in their society in game to point out this thread to them, otherwise it will very easily go unseen by the majority of players.

Said and done, three thumps up! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Pretty easy to register, even tho I got trapped by the spam-bot and had to enter Re-Captcha words.

GL John and Deathifier! :yay:

voted for all 3, posted comment on the MA one's :D -> now i'll get broke :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Voted for all three, good luck guys :D

votes submitted...

Of course I voted....why haven't you!!!

It takes less than a minute to register and cast your vote. The more information that gets out there about the Entropia platform the better for us all....do it now!!!!!

Voted, but I won't tell how! :naughty:

BTW MS9 (and John)... we will see a follow up, right?

Voted, but I won't tell how! :naughty:

BTW MS9 (and John)... we will see a follow up, right?

I would suspect so ... I've already posed the question to John in an email, so I'm just waiting on a response, however, I think he did mention something about this in his own thread, so I'll check that out as well and see if there's anything I can copy and past here.

Finally got in and voted on all 3 :)
Rock on John and Deathifier !

I'm actually playing, but now after looking....

There are over 2000 other potential panel topics, and while the ones Mister Bates proposes are indeed interesting, I took a tiny bit of time and scanned the first 10 percent or so of the other candidate subjects. in that first 200 or so potential topics, these gems surfaced:

Unsexy & Profitable: Making $$ Without Hype

The Future of MMOs

Making Genuine Connections: Putting Passion Over Process

The Science of Satisfaction: Lessons from R&D

Creating Social Capital Through Social Media

Using Social Media to Turn Complainers Into Cheerleaders

Spicing Up Non-Game Interactions With Game Mechanics

The Secret Sauce: Unlocking the Power of Story

I may well vote for some or maybe even all of the panels Bates proposes, but as I said in an earlier post, MA wants to be a leader in this sector. I firmly believe there are some lessons they could learn by attending some of the panels proposed by others rather than trying to tell the MA story.

From the Wikipedia:

SXSW is one of the largest music festivals in the United States, with more than 1,400 performers playing dozens of venues around Austin over four days, in March. Though it is an industry-based event, SXSW Music links locally with events such as the annual Austin Music Awards show. SXSW is the highest revenue-producing special event for the Austin economy, with an estimated economic impact of at least $110 million in 2008. [1][2][3]

In 1994, SXSW added film and interactive conferences. SXSW Film has become one of the world's premiere film festivals, focusing on new directing talent. Similarly, SXSW Interactive has attracted a strong following among web creators and entrepreneurs and is now far more well-known than the music festival. SXSW Interactive's focus on emerging technology has earned the festival a reputation as a breeding ground for new ideas and creative technologies. Twitter launched at SXSW Interactive in 2007.

It seems to me that MindArk believes that SXSW could be a real spring board for them that has the potential to help thrust them into the main stream spotlight.

I think that it’s very important for all of us to get as many people as possible to vote for these topics.

voted all three , but the "Evolving Platforms Race to Control the Metaverse " i like most .
good luck guys !

Back