FYI: LAG

One more thing I would add is that MMOs are renowned for lag issues and this is a very complex problem.

If you look at some of the most successful MMOs, many of them deal with this problem in their own way, WOW has domains which are capped (is it 5k players/domain? I can't remember), which means it's not really a true MMO imo. EVE Online has Time Dilation for instances where a lot of players are fighting on the same shard... Entropia's solution seems to be to keep people spread far and wide on many different servers by having a huge map, and more recently (in the last decade) adding instances.

The biggest issue is when you have a lot of players all in one place, this is too taxing and no server could possibly handle the load, there's too much information to process and disseminate to too many people around the world at once.

Code:
https://clips.twitch.tv/ViscousFaithfulGrousePermaSmug
One more thing I would add is that MMOs are renowned for lag issues and this is a very complex problem.
I played many MMOs, this is not acceptable to go on for so many years

I logged in last night and it wasn't as described.

I'm not an IT guy or programmer but I know that MA has sought several optimizations over the years and settled on Amazon hosting for Entropia. I don't think the servers are the problem, I think something in the game is demanding too much resources to resolve and this overwhelms the servers, which normally should be perfectly adequate.

In order to figure out what it is, I think they should do what CCP did back about 10 years ago for EVE Online and analyze the processing carefully to see where the peak loads are at.

Anything short of that and they are just shooting in the dark.

Anyway, sorry if your experience is like that, mine isn't but I was in safe mode and was not hunting. But there has been times in the last 2-3 years re-stocking my shops was painful to do because I had to wait about 20 seconds for info panels and price settings to load and it was very aggravating to me because it slowed down this process to a crawl. Last night was not like that at all for me so that's why I believe it used to be a lot worse.

Maybe we should start a thread like the one from 3 years ago and ask people to share their builds, their lag experience and where they are connecting from. That was kind of what I was hinting at when I said "try to be helpful instead of just complain"

I don't think they are hosted on Amazon...

If you don't have it, it doesn't mean no one else has it. Me and MANY others experience these very often (3-5 minutes apart):

This is identical to what I am experiencing day in and day out.

Everyone pointing out that VU on March while the Dev's look at the sky whistling. Looks like we are talking a different language. Or no one at the office log in into the game?

Even recently on Arkadia I was getting terrible lag and rubber banding sometimes. Resulting in dropping the next bomb too far from where I wanted or too soon.

It was NEVER related with COVID-19 and the increase of player activities, NEVER! But everyone believes in what they want.
I noticed no lag prior to the March 2020 VU and lag/pauses in my shooting after that VU.

If you experience lag spikes please reply to this thread as apparently MA doesn't understand the kind of lag we have. Please try to describe, maybe someone can be clear enough for them. Maybe in Swedish? Would it be allowed? :D

If you experience lag spikes please reply to this thread as apparently MA doesn't understand the kind of lag we have. Please try to describe, maybe someone can be clear enough for them. Maybe in Swedish? Would it be allowed? :D

Lag spike below i recorded a few weeks ago.
Clip

If this don't help dunno what will.
I can live with occasional lag. But when the mob is able to attack you during the lag and you're not able to do anything against it. That's what is really frustrating and unfair.

Last edited:
They probably know exactly how this "lag" is, problem for us players is that MA don't want to explain *all* parts that
create this.
A lot more activity do put more strain on the system as a whole, but there must be way more things that are included in this.
Hopefully there are several possitive things included in this, but sadly it could just as well be based on negative things too,
most likely a mix of both though.

Of course MA knows exactly what we're talking about.
And probably they even know the real cause.

There are people in their team for whom this is the job.

If you take your broken car to the mechanic, and he keeps it for 6 months to tell you that he really doesn't know what the problem is, or that he keeps saying your car is so slow because of the wind, you should maybe start doubting his competences...

Last edited:
I also still have lag spikes, always had them. The thing is I just grew tired of complaining into the void.

You are shooting and randomly the gun gets stuck, you still get hit by the creature, and about 10-20 seconds later the gun shoots a few times very quickly and everything goes back to normal. Sometimes, if it lasts for long, you even get kicked out of the game and it crashes to desktop.

This has been happening for years, every single time there's an event the first few days I simply cannot hunt. If the culprit is really increased player activity then please give the maximum priority to server upgrades and server+client optimizations.

I can't remember a time where I didn't have these anymore :confused:

Yes, months with this anoying lag spikes. Usually for me its like this :
I log in and immediatly notice that while i hunt i get these sort of Freeze style lag.
No matter how much time i keep shooting it wont go away. What i do is Reboot PC, not only relog, but a complete pc reboot. Most of the time this reboot solves the problem for me
This makes me think maybe RAM involved??

Wondering if due to the pandemic. It has an affect on lag, not just entropia. Buy overall traffic. Many other games not just entropia have been reporting the same.

But yes the lag spikes have been since months ago. Rubber banding. Freeze between using an item or switching an item. All the while my latency has been steady. So it's definitely something to be investigated

While there may not be a software bug to fix I can almost guarantee this issue lies in the routing hardware, which I dont think MA controls or owns.
I have seen these exact kinds of issues before on massive scale routing equipment (I was one of the guys who tested and bug fixed during design phase at bell labs/Avaya, the router technologies used today)

You would be amazed how high the board failure rate was on much of these once in production. We literally replaced 10 blades PER DAY at least, from bad manufacturing processes just to keep the worldwide corporate network in order. Customers paid thousands of dollars per blade for these so they were never very excited to replace them on their own. Server farms also will do almost anything to not have to replace the boards as well. Most of the time they just make it a matter of routine to cycle the bad boards to give apperance of sporadic issues like these that affect some but not all players ata time in order to cloud the ability to troubleshoot the known problem from the outside. Which is exactly what I think is going on, they probably know they have bad boards and are rotating them. I think I can identify 3 distinct instances over the last 2 years in which my lag was probably tied to a bad router board, but that is not my job to figure out and fix anymore.

Not sure if others noticed but the problem seems to come and go, and when it clears up new players come to the forums with new problems. I would bet money that there is a misconfigured/bad blade or blades that is messing the connection up for the whole stack, which would affect a certain % of the players, depending on how redundant their setup is. Take control of your hardware to avoid problems like this.

In short, pay more for a more quality service, or control your own equipment, and have the right people in support.

Last edited:
There are specific areas that are problems like extreme lag in the caves. That is not the same problem. I get lag every 5-10 minutes for a duration of 3-30 seconds approximately. Can't do anything during this time. When the lag stops the mob has attacked you throughout the entire lag period. This costs players money, and it costs MA money as players are slowed down, and probably play less out of frustration. This is a very fundamental issue and should be a top priority.
DID I Mention I Hate INSTANCES?

Because it happens to many players at the same time it leads me to believe it's a code/database issue. Noticed these first time after the loot 2.0 implementation and I always assumed that part of the code is the issue.

While there may not be a software bug to fix I can almost guarantee this issue lies in the routing hardware, which I dont think MA controls or owns.
I have seen these exact kinds of issues before on massive scale routing equipment (I was one of the guys who tested and bug fixed during design phase at bell labs/Avaya, the router technologies used today)

You would be amazed how high the board failure rate was on much of these once in production. We literally replaced 10 blades PER DAY at least, from bad manufacturing processes just to keep the worldwide corporate network in order. Customers paid thousands of dollars per blade for these so they were never very excited to replace them on their own. Server farms also will do almost anything to not have to replace the boards as well. Most of the time they just make it a matter of routine to cycle the bad boards to give apperance of sporadic issues like these that affect some but not all players ata time in order to cloud the ability to troubleshoot the known problem from the outside. Which is exactly what I think is going on, they probably know they have bad boards and are rotating them. I think I can identify 3 distinct instances over the last 2 years in which my lag was probably tied to a bad router board, but that is not my job to figure out and fix anymore.

Not sure if others noticed but the problem seems to come and go, and when it clears up new players come to the forums with new problems. I would bet money that there is a misconfigured/bad blade or blades that is messing the connection up for the whole stack, which would affect a certain % of the players, depending on how redundant their setup is. Take control of your hardware to avoid problems like this.

In short, pay more for a more quality service, or control your own equipment, and have the right people in support.
Sure. But, my bet is on the volume of data transfered from client to server is higher than it needs to be. It could be optimised. That and half of the data transfers could be eliminated outright. I have said this.

If you don't have it, it doesn't mean no one else has it. Me and MANY others experience these very often (3-5 minutes apart):

Precious seconds that can make all the difference. Especially in game where we are spending real money!!!

Are you seeing it Devs?

Precious seconds that can make all the difference. Especially in game where we are spending real money!!!

Are you seeing it Devs?

Yeah, almost everyone died.

The general lag and lag spikes i experience are terrible. It definitely gets worse at certain times too. General lag being slow too change tools and getting hit loads and dying before you can heal. Or shooting and nothing happening while the creature is hitting you. Then there is the massive spikes that last so long that you end up disconnecting then struggle to get back in for a couple of minutes.

I have a FTTP internet. 100mbps down 36mbps up connection. Through speed testnet I have less than 1ms of ping! I also use a high end MIMO wifi5 router.
So its 100% nothing to do with my internet.

... getting hit loads and dying before you can heal. Or shooting and nothing happening while the creature is hitting you.
I also have lag spikes but can't reliably distinguish their source due to mobile connection adding variable latency. However, this particular problem of mobs hitting you while you can't react was addressed in a recent VU and since then it's been working for me quite well. Are people saying that this is not actually the case for them, or are they just rehashing old complaints?

I also have lag spikes but can't reliably distinguish their source due to mobile connection adding variable latency. However, this particular problem of mobs hitting you while you can't react was addressed in a recent VU and since then it's been working for me quite well. Are people saying that this is not actually the case for them, or are they just rehashing old complaints?
I play several hours a day and yes. Last instance just a few hours ago. Lag then 2 hits and a critical hit all at once and that was me dead from full health.

Are people saying that this is not actually the case for them, or are they just rehashing old complaints?

Yes. Before the last VU things seemed to be fixed for me, I didn't notice the lag spikes anymore. After the last VU these came back for me and as you can see in the clip above and in this thread for many others and it's happening at the same time so it's definitely not just local (ISP or system). But I had these lag spikes during the Easter Mayhem so I got killed by them twice in the defense run. It's pretty bad some have them and some don't, it will mean I won't be able to participate in this year's Halloween defense event. But the biggest issue is I have them every single day, every hour and it gets very frustrating experiencing these every few minutes....

I've always had lag of sort with PE/EU and always just chalked it up to being in the Southwestern part of the USA. From what I can tell lately it seems like there is a sync issue with the loot server (if there is such a thing, maybe just the algorithm) but I remember it being extremely worse in the past. Server borders have always been glitchy as well as active servers although I don't get lots of lag in busy cities and outposts. Lag sucks for sure I just try to be mindful when hunting and I've been playing PE/EU that way for so long I hate to say I am used to it.

One other thing that is happening is the amount of people telecommuting has gone up a lot as well as content streaming so there is a lot more traffic to deal with since COVID-19. In a short amount time a lot of the world moved into an online way of doing business and probably won't go back to the way things were before the pandemic.

This morning was the worse lag I have ever seen. Shooting mobs and them freezing and unfreezing with half my life gone. Trying to ride in a land vehicle and stopping every 10 seconds due to some invisible force. I had one mob down to about 2 shots then there was a small lag spike and when it came back normal, the mob just vanished into thin air and was gone, I got no loot. I can't hunt with it like this. And this is coming from one of the biggest fangirls of the game. You all have seen my post and know how much I love it. It's so frustrating not being able to hunt.

Maybe let the balancing manager have a look :whistle: and to Dennis ah nvm (n)

always had a few spikes or quite a few more. Most of the time they are network related, nothing one can do about it.
Allthough it seems to me that they are way less now that I am not on Calypso anymore :D
And I really highly doubt that it is database related, even a really bad planned database done by an intern could handle a few thousand requests.
Also doubt it is the servers, they do not need that much oopmph, they do not handle any graphics or difficult calculations.
From my past epxerience almsot everytime when I started lagging it was certain players entering the area.
This Migration even the vehicles did not bother, was just a few players.

And if you think you got a good ping, that does not mean anything. Just tells you that a really simple packet using a very basic protocol reached it's target in a certain time. Does not tell you what happens to other packets, if your ISP or country analyzes them or if they get routed via China or the US ro Antartica every 20 seconds .
And from experience there is absolutely no way of telling which individual packet took what route to get wehre they are supposed to get and how many really get dropped on the way or marked invalid bacuse of arriving too fast or too slow.
If you think your ISP is doing surely a great job...even the best have routing errors. Not to mention the hardware errors inbetween...one router or switch with buggy firmware inbetween can be a PITA to find. It's not like your packets go straightly to MA, some will go a few circles before they get even close.
And quite a few will get lost because somebody thinks he has a software to improve his internet connection.

IMHO...rubber banding allways was something on MAs side, the rest is the connection.

Some links for those who are interested in following when these issues started on March 3rd after VU 17.1.0.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...more-latency-and-failed-since-last-vu.270711/

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/higher-latency.270872/

All these issues are reminiscent of problems experienced back in 2017. Can't MindArk once again work with the player base to try and resolve the issues? Doing something like the link below describes would be much preferred to no action. I'm sure most of us would gladly participate even without the PED reward incentive.

"Today's release includes several improvements and fixes that have directly resulted from participants who shared detailed information on the issues they were experiencing via the poll."

Last edited:
They never gone were here may be from march ? Still same.

Bingo I have had game freezing lag for 5-8 secs for the last 6 months. The main focus should be fixing the game crippling lag. Taggin a mob then it freezes and teleports ontop of you. Or better yet getting hit 6 times all at once before you can equip a FAP ?

Same here with Lag.

My solution ATM is to hunt mobs witch I can hunt naked, who cant kill me during lag and with low regen, so several levels below normal mobs I hunt :) meaning also less decay per time period...

Back