FYI: Laws of physics do not apply!

Zacariaz

Elite
Society
United Talents
Marie T'pol
Being bored as I often am, I took it upon my self to prove once and for all whether the starry night sky is static or not.

Well, the conclusion is that the stars do not move.

This is interesting as this also mean that the planet Calypso do not revolve around it self, from which we can also conclude that, since we have night and day, the sun must then revolve around the planet.

Whether Calypso is actually in the centre of the universe will be slightly harder to determine, but one thing is for sure. This is certainly a different universe where the laws of physics as we know them, do not apply :D

Well I think my work here is done. I'll look forward to read the replies from those who, unlike me, actually know a bit about the subject, regarding what implications this ground breaking discovery may have.

Best regards.

NB.
I could have provided proof, but as I forgot to save my work and the test is really very simple to make, I didn't bother to do it again.

Gravity doesn't seem quite right either. Try exiting a stationary VTOL in mid-air :)

Calypso could be at the centre of two stars. This actually does happen where the gravity from two stars causes the centre of the solar system to be in-between them. The two stars then orbit this position. Now if this position was just the right distance from either sun it could be possible for a life sustaining planet to get trapped there. This would also explain why the day/night cycle on Calypso is so short.

Gravity doesn't seem quite right either. Try exiting a stationary VTOL in mid-air :)

Very true.

Calypso could be at the centre of two stars. This actually does happen where the gravity from two stars causes the centre of the solar system to be in-between them. The two stars then orbit this position. Now if this position was just the right distance from either sun it could be possible for a life sustaining planet to get trapped there. This would also explain why the day/night cycle on Calypso is so short.

While I can easily imagine how this could work, nice catch by the way, I should think that the planet not revolving would still be weird. In fact I should think that such a scenario would force the planet to revolve around it self at the same rate as the two suns are revolving the planet, thus there wouldn't be a day/night cycle.

Then again, I could be wrong. Though I do have a great interest in the subject, I'm not really that competent.

Being bored as I often am, I took it upon my self to prove once and for all whether the starry night sky is static or not.

Well, the conclusion is that the stars do not move.

This is interesting as this also mean that the planet Calypso do not revolve around it self, from which we can also conclude that, since we have night and day, the sun must then revolve around the planet.

Your conclusion is not correct:
If calypso revolves at the same angular speed as it rotates around its central star, only in the opposite direction, the stars will not rotate in relation to the planet, just move back and forth a bit (albeit not enough to notice it).
(well, stars do not move here on earth either, it's the earth that rotates under a fixed starry sky, but i guess you get the picture..)

:wise:

Having said that... you do know it's just a texture on the skybox?
There are no stars, not really... :silly2:

If calypso revolves at the same angular speed as it rotates around its central star, only in the opposite direction, the stars will not rotate in relation to the planet, just move back and forth a bit (albeit not enough to notice it).
(well, stars do not move here on earth either, it's the earth that rotates under a fixed starry sky, but i guess you get the picture..)

You are of course right, but in that case a day would be the same as a year and assuming that gravity still works somewhat normally, that would have some rather serious implications :D

An yes, I have noticed that even the surface of the moon have stars, but eh, just trying to kill some time ;)

While I can easily imagine how this could work, nice catch by the way, I should think that the planet not revolving would still be weird. In fact I should think that such a scenario would force the planet to revolve around it self at the same rate as the two suns are revolving the planet, thus there wouldn't be a day/night cycle.

Then again, I could be wrong. Though I do have a great interest in the subject, I'm not really that competent.

Actually my original theory wouldn't work. The binary stars could orbit a centre only if that centre does not have an object producing gravity(like a planet). A planet getting into that centre area would disrupt the delicate balance between the two stars, causing them to either rip the planet apart or start to spiral into each other(and the planet).

New theory. Calypso is larger then it's star, and thus the star orbits Calypso. Although if this is true then two big problems.;
1)Calypso would have too high a gravity and we would not be able to survive here.
2)Calypso's sun is shrinking, not sure why it's doing that(there is one star I know of that has been shrinking). Going to take a guess that it's running out of fuel and instead of exploding it's collapsing.

Any way that's too much theory for one night. Think outside the box. Remember the Romans on Earth thought the stars where "just decorations" put out of reach by the gods. Accepting that the stars are "just decorations" put out of reach by programers is close minded :)

The rotation period and the orbital period could be the same, resulting in a stationary star field. Perhaps that means Omega 16 Reticulum is in a wobbly orbit around something, resulting in our asymmetrical day/night cycle.

REVISED THEORY: After some caffiene this morning, it occurs to me that an eliptical orbit would also account for the day/night pattern, provided that the known continents of Calypso are located such that they face the star when the planet is at the apogee of its orbit.

So... Calypso is in a close, elipitical orbit, and it's orbital period and length of day are both 5 hours in length.

But you're right, the laws of "Physics" do not apply here. On Calypso, there is only Physx(TM).

Last edited:

pffft me being dazzeled by the studies of the universe here, this statement just makes no sense to me atall.
Skybox? i mean realy, thats for the rich fellas watching a socker game from above :laugh:
And no stars??? wtf dude when i look up i see stars and i believe what i see..... or shouldnt i? :silly2:

(next u gunna tell us live is just a game,, sjeezz)

actually wizz the stars do move. or in theory at least, everything in the galaxy spreads farther from the center of the galaxy as time moves forward so everything moves apart. however the spread is so slow its un noticeable to us, to top it off we must wait for the light of the star to reach us.

the reason the star appears to change is because of 2 things the planet spins in night and day cycles and the earth spinning around the sun constantly changes the angle at which we view stars.

and calypso can not revolve around itself. stateing something like this is a paradox waiting to happen.

Falling damage by itself is a fail in logic...

Actually my original theory wouldn't work. The binary stars could orbit a centre only if that centre does not have an object producing gravity(like a planet). A planet getting into that centre area would disrupt the delicate balance between the two stars, causing them to either rip the planet apart or start to spiral into each other(and the planet).

New theory. Calypso is larger then it's star, and thus the star orbits Calypso. Although if this is true then two big problems.;
1)Calypso would have too high a gravity and we would not be able to survive here.
2)Calypso's sun is shrinking, not sure why it's doing that(there is one star I know of that has been shrinking). Going to take a guess that it's running out of fuel and instead of exploding it's collapsing.

Any way that's too much theory for one night. Think outside the box. Remember the Romans on Earth thought the stars where "just decorations" put out of reach by the gods. Accepting that the stars are "just decorations" put out of reach by programers is close minded :)

I used to watch the universe a lot on TV , 1st problem I see is that any planet that has more mass then a star would be a star... just to much mass to be anything else.

Our small sun which if I remember correctly is a red dwarf is a very small star , yet its 99% of our entire solar system, we have one huge planet in our system that might have turned into a star but it did not have the mass to do so but was very close. Its one of the gas planets but I forgot which one.

Going back to that 99% that means if you take all the planets and merge them together it would only be 1% of the mass of our star.

actually wizz the stars do move. or in theory at least, everything in the galaxy spreads farther from the center of the galaxy as time moves forward so everything moves apart. however the spread is so slow its un noticeable to us, to top it off we must wait for the light of the star to reach us.

the reason the star appears to change is because of 2 things the planet spins in night and day cycles and the earth spinning around the sun constantly changes the angle at which we view stars.

and calypso can not revolve around itself. stateing something like this is a paradox waiting to happen.

I believe the speed they are moving away from each other is not slow at all , in fact Its a very crazy fast speed , there is also a theory that when the star move far enough from each other it will change how gravity works and all things will come to an end. There will not be enough gravity to hold matter together and all things will become unglued and fall apart.

some interesting videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OFThORmR-s&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEQouX5U0fc

If you were looking for fantasy laws of physics, you didn't have to look for them as far the stars.

Just drive a valkyrie.

Does anyone know if the sun is a real object in CE?
Since clouds are real objects of a proper scale floating above the ground, I wonder if those guys were crazy enough to make the sun real?

An yes, I have noticed that even the surface of the moon have stars, but eh, just trying to kill some time ;)

Maybe that is just bases and stuff on the moons that uses bright lights? :yay:

I mean, didn't one of the moons have a prison or something in one of the storylines? :eyecrazy:

Since clouds are real objects of a proper scale floating above the ground, I wonder if those guys were crazy enough to make the sun real?

That would be unlikely. I may be a real object, but no where near the size it should be. Remember that if you hold a something small close to your eye, it can still block out a very big sun because it's so damn far away. If it wasn't, it would need to be so damn big ;)

Seems like you think every single planet is round and that the are all positioned in a universe like our realworld universe.

If they did that, this game wouldnt have yet been released.

In other words its built on a flat landscape, you can see how if you use crysis sandbox for example.

(next u gunna tell us live is just a game,, sjeezz)

No, live is but a dream! :smoke:

And i thought i was being overly painstaking... but you are right, let me rephrase it:
Stars do not revolve, a linear movement was outside of my scope :silly2:

And not all stars "move": The entire milky way moves the same direction at the same speed as we do - there is no movement relative to earth originating from the expansion of the universe (albeit a relative movement originating from the milky ways rotation itself)

I think i already said something along these lines... but:
Planets spin. Full stop.
The day and night cycles are an effect of the ever changing angle to the central sun.

All planets revolve, even moons do - it depends on the position of the observer to recognize it (i.e. we cannot see the "dark" side of the moon because we revolve with earth, standing on the sun we could see it) - why should this be a paradox? (well, calypso can at most be a virtual paradox anyway :silly2: )

Our small sun which if I remember correctly is a red dwarf is a very small star

I think you confused something there - a dying star first turns into a red giant, only to collapse later to a white dwarf.
But our sun still has somewhere around 200 million before it's "fuel" is consumed and this process begins.

Yes it is real.
It's 1000 times bigger then CE and 93 million miles away from it as well. :tongue2:

Yes it is real.
It's 1000 times bigger then CE and 93 million miles away from it as well. :tongue2:

That's what I thought :)
When I have time, I might actually go to CE Sandbox, spawn a chopper and try to get as high as possible to see what the sun is like when you get closer... I'm pretty sure it's not just a texture on the firmament

Maybe Planet Calypso isn't real and we are all in some kind of simulation matrix. Or maybe the Matrix movies from ancient times on Earth where actually a documentation on the process of enslaving human beings by locking there minds into an artificial world. This would explain strange reports of people flying, or structures built in the sky. This would also explain the robots, they are just programs meant to keep us busy so we never find away to break free from our mental prison.

:)

Another tidbit, one can see the starts trough the various moons on the entropian skies.

This can only mean that the moons in entropia are made of jello.

It could be carried by an African swallow?

Another tidbit, one can see the starts trough the various moons on the entropian skies.

This can only mean that the moons in entropia are made of jello.

or glass, or even liquid as fluids will form a sphere in zero gravity.

b0dd75f6-8b27-4b7e-bd8d-1ee556058b8e.jpg

Back