Question: LBML, rumour about key logger?

Society
Freelancer
Edgewise
I have used this tool on and off over the years - but I was just told just now that the program has a key logger in it and that there was a discussion on the forums about this.

I can't find the thread about it - or any other evidence that there is a key logger.

Does someone rememeber any info about LBML containing a key logger?

I can understand it looks for certain key presses, like location stamp key to track when you press for coordinates. But a key logger logging all key inputs? Is that true?

Dont know , I would hope not . I think all LBML does is read your chat log . without seeing the source code though could not say with 100% certainty.

Dont know , I would hope not . I think all LBML does is read your chat log . without seeing the source code though could not say with 100% certainty.
No, it uses OCR for getting your coords. I know that there was a version some time ago that would trigger virusscanner, haven't seen the source code (and if so, wouldn't say me anything lol) but from what I've heard that was false positive

Ido is the main person to ask about program specifics (at least what they can share publicly), though I'm also an advisor over at the LBML discord and help lighten the load for Ido a bit.

In short, there's no key logger. The only times your keyboard is involved is if you set specific keybinds in the options menu or if you are pressing your location key to update the position on the map if you don't have auto tracking on. Everything else is pretty much OCR specific to your game window (not other windows you might have open on your computer). Even then, the only time data is being sent is what LBML distills down from the images, which you can access by exporting your mining claims. I don't believe reports from the most recent update for error logging also get sent, but you can see the details of those too in your error log folder since they're meant more for debugging if you're posting an issue on the Discord. Images themselves from your computer aren't sent to the server.

What you might be recalling is around a year ago when virus scanners started giving LBML more false positives to the point that Google flagged the website since it was the source of the file. Part of that was because things hadn't been updated in awhile, and something about the installer portion of the program set off false positives. The installer no longer exists in current versions, so you have to manually download updates now, but LBML no longer gives false positives unless you use Avast. The short of it is that virus scanners can get a bit more finicky when it comes to portions of programs that automatically install something, so it wasn't worth trying to maintain that function of LBML given those changes.

Last edited:
Ido is the main person to ask about program specifics (at least what they can share publicly), though I'm also an advisor over at the LBML discord and help lighten the load for Ido a bit.

In short, there's no key logger. The only times your keyboard is involved is if you set specific keybinds in the options menu or if you are pressing your location key to update the position on the map if you don't have auto tracking on. Everything else is pretty much OCR specific to your game window (not other windows you might have open on your computer). Even then, the only time data is being sent is what LBML distills down from the images, which you can access by exporting your mining claims. I don't believe reports from the most recent update for error logging also get sent, but you can see the details of those too in your error log folder since they're meant more for debugging if you're posting an issue on the Discord. Images themselves from your computer aren't sent to the server.

What you might be recalling is around a year ago when virus scanners started giving LBML more false positives to the point that Google flagged the website since it was the source of the file. Part of that was because things hadn't been updated in awhile, and something about the installer portion of the program set off false positives. The installer no longer exists in current versions, so you have to manually download updates now, but LBML no longer gives false positives unless you use Avast. The short of it is that virus scanners can get a bit more finicky when it comes to portions of programs that automatically install something, so it wasn't worth trying to maintain that function of LBML given those changes.
Thank you so much for this reply, I appreciate it a ton.

Since LBLM uses a screen shot to play data, it is false antivirus response, it's my point.

Back