Lesser BP Vs Maxed BP - A Test

Leandro Kun

Stalker
Society
The Disturbed Ones
Leandro Kun
After a recent conversation with a soc mate I decided to do a little test with different BP’s of basic filters. I assumed that a maxed out BP would provide better returns than mine, which was at about 30%. My soc mate warned that the skill gains would not be as good.

This got me thinking about how many skills I would be willing to sacrifice. Would the returns make up for the skills by allowing me to do more crafting runs? So I undertook a small experiment, 200 clicks for each BP. I was quite impressed that the maxed out BP returns were excellent and at only a small loss of skill gains (around 5) Now I realise that this could have just been a one off, so I decided to run the test again, this time keeping track of all skill gains etc.

This may be old ground for most of you, but I thought some might be interested so I’m going to share the results. I used 2k of lyst and oil. 1K on each BP. The slider was set to full quantity for both runs.

Oh and im a completely newb crafter, no skills to speak of :)

Lesser BP (34)

Skills

Engineering 27 gains
Mechanics 20 gains
Manufacture Mechanical Equipment 36 gains

Returns

2917 filters (29.17 PED)
267 Metal Residue (2.67 PED)
118 Energy Matter Residue (1.18 PED)

For those that are interested, there were 67 BP Gains

Maxed BP (100)

Skills

Engineering 28 gains
Mechanics 16 gains
Manufacture Mechanical Equipment 30 gains

Returns

2773 filters (27.73 PED)
224 Metal Residue (2.44 PED)
82 Energy Matter Residue (82 PEC)

I was quite surprised with the results, I expected less skill gains but for that to be offset by the returns. I did suffer from 3 CTD’s during the run, 2 on the maxed BP. Whether that affected the results or not I don’t know, maybe one of you experienced crafters can tell me?

I was thinking that the maxed out BP might produce better results when focused slightly more onto condition. I think I may try another run to test that soon :)

What the hell !!!!!

You getting all clever on me Lee and actually keeping notes an all :eek:

(good little test by the way, I woud be interested to see what the sages say:))

Wouldn't it just be based on your particular chance of success? COS being a combination of your skills and the bp qr. I mean.. if you have maxed COS on both bp's... I'd assume about the same performance over time. Unfortunatly though, I think your sample set is a bit low to come up with anything conclusive. Its kinda like comparing weapons by going out with 100 ped ammo/decay on each and seeing which one gives you the most loot.

*edit*... ok.. just read that you didn't have skills, it might be worth noting about where the bar is on the cos meter.

not enough

200 clicks is nothing, do it hundred times and the results will matter

Here is a bigger Test:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=450703#post450703

Using Standard Damper Bp, and 0 skills and a new Bp. Clicking for hours and hours, Maxing out the Bp at 100, switching it for a fresh standard damper bp of 1% and doing it again, over and over until i have clicked 500k times :) and maxed out 18 standard damper bps top 100%.

your small test is not big enough. it could have just been a one off.

Darky.

imo, skillgain is not affected by bp QR. the only thing that QR has anything to do with, is CoS. therefore, the only thing CoS can really affect, is return. you did not use enough clicks at all for any sort of a test, as the results show it: you would expect the higher CoS bp to yeild a higher return.

QR goes up in the same manner of skills. the higher the QR, the more clicks it takes to bump up to the next QR lvl. it can not really be proven what affect, if any, QR has on skills or vica verca.

testing like this is too dynamic, only way to truly measure is to create two new avatars, no skills, give them each an amount of lyst and oil and a bp.

go to same machine, start clicking at same time, see if both get identical skills, and identical returns.

if they do, test done

if not, useing same avatars, switch blueprints and repeat.

now that would be some true and imperical data.

but if you really want to know the results of such a test, i can tell you first hand that your avatars will come out different even tho all else is equal ;)

and the more resources you use to conduct your test, the further apart your testing subjects will become.....

regards,

I realise that 2000 clicks isn’t the most sizeable of tests, and after seeing Darky’s link, I feel a little bit like Luke, when he first pick up that lightsaber :silly2:

To be honest I was just more interested in whether it is better for a new crafter to use a new BP or a maxed out one.

Thanks for all the feedback though :)

Leandro Kun said:
I realise that 2000 clicks isn’t the most sizeable of tests, and after seeing Darky’s link, I feel a little bit like Luke, when he first pick up that lightsaber :silly2:

To be honest I was just more interested in whether it is better for a new crafter to use a new BP or a maxed out one.

we all here to help each other and bounce ideas around.

my personal experience it its better (but costs more) to start off with a fresh bp, and after around 7-10k clicks (using my trusty dampers examples) you should have gotton the max chance of success possible, its really easy to do even with no skills it works, when your bp is around the 60% mark you should have max chance of success.

Darky.

Leandro Kun said:

To be honest we all felt deeply in hoar when we saw the test made by Darky :cool: The Darky crafting test should be published on the fronpage og EU-downloadsite for all new players to be afraid (be very afraid) of crafting! :laugh: (im just waiting for some guy in usa to sue MA for killing his index-finger on the mouse crafting)

And your test is good! Your initial question better! And a very relevant one too, since 100% BPs have been sold with big markups for years now. I remember when a full Filter BP could make 100 ped buyout from the auction :silly2: Filters and other low-end component BPs have dropped a lot in price the past year, as ppl begun realizing the same as you suspected; the QR doesnt really make that big a difference for the outcome.

But hush now baby, dont u cry! Lets keep this our little secret and the price for all my full BPs up ;)

Solaris said:
But hush now baby, dont u cry! Lets keep this our little secret and the price for all my full BPs up ;)

I suggest you to try with some higher level BP's. Level 6-10 where one of the bp has QR=100 and the other one has QR=1.
With no skills, I am sure that you will see difference. :D

/Kjetil :cool:

Solaris said:
To be honest we all felt deeply in hoar when we saw the test made by Darky :cool: The Darky crafting test should be published on the fronpage og EU-downloadsite for all new players to be afraid (be very afraid) of crafting! :laugh: (im just waiting for some guy in usa to sue MA for killing his index-finger on the mouse crafting)

And your test is good! Your initial question better! And a very relevant one too, since 100% BPs have been sold with big markups for years now. I remember when a full Filter BP could make 100 ped buyout from the auction :silly2: Filters and other low-end component BPs have dropped a lot in price the past year, as ppl begun realizing the same as you suspected; the QR doesnt really make that big a difference for the outcome.

Well i was into destroying my finger and wanted to spare other people from this pain :D

Leandro Kun your test is a good basis, a bigger test might show some good stuff.

and I agree with Kjetil, for higher level bp's, Durable Dampers for example (Level 6). It costs a lot of peds (many k's) to skill up a bp to get max chance of success, and to buy a high % bp would cost less.

with the end skills of my avitar from my experiment around 2k, i had max chance of success with a brand new standard damper bp, but am in the red for a new Durable Damper bp.

Darky.

Cheers guys,

I guess i will stick to my new(ish) BP then, although i may move on to dampners. As im not a FT crafter, i dont think i will be unlocking BPC anytime soon :)

Back