Help: Looking for a new soc

Doer

Marauder
Society
Rangers
David "Doer" Falkayn
I spent some time browsing this subforum and the entropialife soc pages and it seems like the socs i'm familar with are mostly inactive, so i thought i'd post and see what comes up.

I followed my friend Bee to SUF a while back and i've enjoyed being in SUF but there are some things i miss.

Here's my ideal:
  • many native English or Spanish speakers. Humor often doesn't translate well.
  • at least half a dozen active members, preferrably some who are on during US East coast evening
  • mostly hunters/miners, preferrably Calypso-centric. Comparing notes on what's dropping etc is imo one of the perks of a good soc
  • some degree of maturity, humor and intelligence in the soc chat
  • possibly organized hunts and also potential hunting partners with similar gear. Not a requirement. Not always interested in hunting in a team.

I'm sporadically active due to irl but you can count on me not disappearing for more than a month or two (avatar about 8.5 years old). Sometimes chatty, sometimes quiet. Until my arm's out of the sling will be more the latter...
Hunter at almost level 69 laser sniper, ~210k skills. Still plodding along toward Commando.
Kit is imk2 and arson TEN, nothing special in armor or FAP.
Stay on caly 90+% of the time
Not much into pk. My ISP gets really flaky, esp. during weekends, and it makes it hard to be competitive.
IRL i'm "old enough to know better"

Any questions?

Check out sex on arrival. I think we fit for what you're looking for.

you still looking for soc?

Your inbox is full.

------------------------

You may have already considered them, but I personally think NBK is a great soc. I'm actually in the mostly-inactive branch but you've plenty of skills for the highest level. I can't say how often the people in the top soc do team hunts, since I'm still under the skill points required, but they fit all your other ideals.

Personally, I think biggest benefit to the NBK group is being welcome to move to the 'Newbie" branch and help 100+ new players with advice. NBK Army has an amazing leader (Granny) who does all the unpleasant weeding out and admin duties letting people who want to enjoy helping people enjoy the game do just that.

Where ever you land, good luck!

ETA this before the rest because it's for a more general audience:

One comment i will make (directed at all socs and especially soc leaders) is that it's really hard to get an idea what the current state of a society is. EU has been around long enough now that "soc rot" seems to have become a real problem: formerly great societies that are mostly ghost socs with only a couple semi-active members, out-of-date recruiting threads, membership lists (ie on Entropia Life), and information blurbs, and etc. It can be really hard to figure out what the current state of a given soc is.

If i may make a suggestion: Now that we have the online "last active" feature, i suggest soc leaders establish policies of activity and enforce them, and also try to maintain up-to-date recruiting and/or information threads that describe, among other things, where the majority of the members are from and how much activity one can expect to see in soc chat, etc.

Also, hiding the member lists from the soc terminal should probably be avoided.

Thanks for the invitations.

TBH i've been in some really strangely-named socs over the years (The Drow, Lithium Forces Unknown, Fat Rats, Silly Underground Family), but i think Sex on Arrival might be a bit much. In any case it seems to be more PvP oriented than i am.

I was in a few socs of the NBK family years ago and there was enough drama that i will look elsewhere. There were of course great people in there, and i imagine it was just a few key individuals at the time, but there are plenty of other options without retreading muddy ground.

As for the rest of you that have invited me, i may take you up on your offer at some point. I'm currently giving Rangers a try based on the considered case that Una made for them in response to my OP. Since i think others may find my experiences useful, i will follow-up in this thread if anything changes.

Last edited:
TBH i've been in some really strangely-named socs over the years (The Drow, Lithium Forces Unknown, Fat Rats, Silly Underground Family), but i think Sex on Arrival might be a bit much. In any case it seems to be more PvP oriented than i am.

actually i have already change the soc name to Guess Who?.. it need just few more days to get approved..

One comment i will make (directed at all socs and especially soc leaders) is that it's really hard to get an idea what the current state of a society is.

[Snip]

If i may make a suggestion: Now that we have the online "last active" feature, i suggest soc leaders establish policies of activity and enforce them.

I agree with comments regarding house cleaning. We in TKoE have a well established attendance process that has been in force and working for many years. We remove 15-20 dead players a month, having given each at least 2 months to work out if they are in for the long haul.

Also, hiding the member lists from the soc terminal should probably be avoided.

^ Ahhh, I believe it's a "PVP" thing ;)

For the record, TKoE has a vibrant and active social calendar, with regular team hunts and a focus on training new players. We have members from across the Globe so there is normally always someone online to chat with. It's also a very diplomatic Soc in that it's managed by a council of players, not just one person. If you are new to Entropia or enjoy training Disciples, it's a great Soc to be in.

I also agree with Colbey Kal, having spent several weeks in NBK Army last year, it too is fun and active place to be.

One thing that, IMHO, sets both TKoE and Army apart from some other Socs is that both have mature and experienced leaders that have been running the Soc for several years, and Councils to make balanced decisions. + Rep to both Zan and Granny for that!

There, my two PECs worth, now its time for some Tea and Toast!

Dirk

Last edited:
Back