MA has read this :P 5 creepy ways games get you addicted

haha, nice find.

Skinner box:
our reward is global/hofs?

Virtual Food Pellets:
MM? xD

Absolutely ridiculous to imagine intelligent human beings could be controlled in such ways. Can't hang around here talking about it though, got to skill up, got to get coolness, got to loot the big one......:)

Hurrikane

Great article.

So many things mentioned there can be found in EU :mad:

So sad but so true. What he didn't bring up though was the friendsship in-game that makes players keep playing. If you get super gear and unique items but no one to show it off to, then it has lost a big part of it's value to own.
Also many of the ones who have quit playing, in for example Entropia, often come back to "just say hello to my friends". But they might end up dropping a few bombs, getting a reward and bam, they are back playing like they never have before.
Hooked once again

So sad but so true. What he didn't bring up though was the friendsship in-game that makes players keep playing. If you get super gear and unique items but no one to show it off to, then it has lost a big part of it's value to own.
Also many of the ones who have quit playing, in for example Entropia, often come back to "just say hello to my friends". But they might end up dropping a few bombs, getting a reward and bam, they are back playing like they never have before.
Hooked once again

In EU it's not so much the reward of skills or items that keep ppl in but the posibility to make serious money out of a online game. You don't have to be a social person to be famous in EU. The System takes care of that for you if you are a hardcore player by the global/HOF list.

Most of the past ubers quit playing because it became harder and harder for them to profit without increasing the number of grinding hours.

They know the system well and even if they get some reward when they decide to come back to try it again, they know that it isn't like in the old days and just take the peds out and take another break.

Yep, that's how it's done. It's good to be aware about it!

For myself i played less sports and games in rl because it was frustrating alot of the times finding enough people to play with who were as competative as i was and serious about playing the game. With online gaming you never have that problem because your playing with the planet population, you log on and in minutes your playing with serious and competitive players. RL cant do that unless your PRO and those spots are few in availability.So filling spare time is made easy online.

For myself i played less sports and games in rl because it was frustrating alot of the times finding enough people to play with who were as competative as i was and serious about playing the game. With online gaming you never have that problem because your playing with the planet population, you log on and in minutes your playing with serious and competitive players. RL cant do that unless your PRO and those spots are few in availability.So filling spare time is made easy online.

Interesting that you can compare the "experience" of MMO's with real life interaction in sports, particularly intrigued by the competetive nature of the experience. In EU or whatever they now call it, apart from perhaps PVP the only element of competition is to be regarded as the best, and in an environment where it doesn't really take skill to be the best (although some have indeed slogged away at skilling) just real and serious cash, there isn't any competition - its just illusory. Maybe the reason, and I don't make any criticism here is a desire to be one of us, part of the crowd, to belong - who knows?

Interesting that you can compare the "experience" of MMO's with real life interaction in sports, particularly intrigued by the competetive nature of the experience. In EU or whatever they now call it, apart from perhaps PVP the only element of competition is to be regarded as the best, and in an environment where it doesn't really take skill to be the best (although some have indeed slogged away at skilling) just real and serious cash, there isn't any competition - its just illusory. Maybe the reason, and I don't make any criticism here is a desire to be one of us, part of the crowd, to belong - who knows?

The point i was trying to make (and ill add to it)was in regards to the article about why we play games and how we can get addicted to them and the tricks used to addict us.I think all gamers start out just trying to fill thier spare time with something interesting to do.Now wether its rl activities like sports or playing games online you want to be entertained and to be stimulated by it.Critics of Entropia would say its a poor choice for stimulating entertainment and i think alot of players started feeling that way when thier skills and ability were made redundant and illiminated the "competition aspect" of Entropia.

Good article. I think many need to read it and understand what game companies (among other entities) try to do to people.

kosmos

Yep, very good article. Virtually all those tricks are used in EU. And since we're dealing with real money here, it's even more amplified.

excelent article, i hope we don;t start loosing skills course of inactivity ingame...lol

Back