Magnum Minute

Faustian

Old No. 7
Society
Soldiers of Fortune
Faustian Faust Dok
By: Ward Parker

Why I own an assault weapon...

Every now and again someone asks me why I own a so-called assault weapon.

My reply: Because I can. I'm a freeman, haven't hurt anyone. I enjoy the look, feel and bang of my AR-15.

That reply never suffices. I can tell by the look on their faces that they want more justification, fiber to my reply.

I then tell them that I like books as well, and that I'm against banning books. Thoughts, I tell them, can be quite dangerous in the wrong brains. Nevertheless, I state that anyone who supports banning books (thoughts) must have a different view of the first amendment than me.

That still doesn't quench his or her first why someone would want a gun that is so seemingly menacing and deadly.

I then ask them to tell me what an assault weapon is. I do this to gauge their level of knowledge regarding these guns. They typically cannot put a sentence together that accurately describes these guns. Quite often, these individuals use the words "machine gun" when describing assault weapons.

I then ask them if they know that their local Wal Mart sells more deadly and accurate guns than the guns President Clinton banned. That shocks them. Many do not believe me. I then offer to take them to Wal Mart and give them a basic lesson in firearms. None have ever taken me up on my offer.

I also ask them if they know the difference between a machine gun and a semi-automatic gun. Most do not. I explain the difference and that so-called assault weapons are semi-automatic. Some actually get angry with me because of their fundamental lack of firearm knowledge. I let them get angry. I have learned that some people experience great pain when exposed to facts and common sense.

I then tell them tongue in cheek that that there are any number of things that we could ban that would make America much safer than banning so-called assault weapons, which, I tell them are rarely used in crime. I invite them to call their local police department and ask how many crimes were committed with so-called assault weapons over the past year. I doubt they ever make that call. Ignorance is comfortable and easy.

Let's start with cars. Why should America make any car that will travel over 75 mph? I tell them there have been any number of studies that indicate faster speeds equate to more accidents, injuries and death.

Throw booze in on top of fast cars and now you've really got a deadly combination. I ask them if they know how many people are mangled, injured and killed because of cars and booze. They never know this, so I tell them. I then ask them if they support banning fast cars and booze.

I also tell them that cigarettes and fattening food are the number one killers in America. Knowing that, I ask them if they believe we should regulate or out-right ban McDonalds, Burger King, etc. They typically stammer around and mumble something along the lines of "of course not. That's a personal choice."

"Exactly," I reply. "Welcome to America."

:wise:

All very true.

Thing is tho, smoking will kill you eventually
Drinking lots then driving a car may also kill you eventually
A loaded gun pointed at your head is a lot faster.

Plus smoking, drinking, driving and all other things that CAN kill you, are initially designed for something else. A Gun is designed to kill, it has no other purpose.

Yeah, I'm anti gun - so shoot me.

lol good article faust, i am big gun fan (most of alaskan's are) and so naturally i dont like the legislation that wants to remove most guns. I'll admit there are a few exceptions, but i agree Car 15 semi auto assault rifle is not a gun of choice for most crime makers, for one it is very big and bulky and two alot more heavy than most ppl would want to carry around. And yes alot of this legislation is masked in many lies, about how dangerous these weapons are to our well being, when there are so many other hazardous things marketed and controlled by the government, such as what the article said. I think people need really watch what bills are being passed and do the research to find out if they are really necessary or not/

Yeah, there's nothing worse than being weighed down by a large heavy gun whil eyou try to carry your groceries out of the local wall-mart. :rolleyes:

Dirk said:
Yeah, there's nothing worse than being weighed down by a large heavy gun whil eyou try to carry your groceries out of the local wall-mart. :rolleyes:

Exactly Dirk :D
It's ok Dirk, you keep gun's outta UK. Just leave us americans be ok ;)
Right to Bare Arms ammendment, contrary to popular belief was NOT put there for hunters. Our for fathers believed that the citizens should be able to form a militia encase the counties military would fall. That was the idea, and it should stay as it is.

You do what you want over there is fine with me :D

And your right gun serves one purpose, to kill, I do not deny that.

Thanks for not taking offense Faust, I know this can be a touchy subject. You have your opinion and I have mine, but that does not mean we cannot understand eachothers point of view.

I like it when things like this can be discussed without turning into a flame war.

Faust is indeed right, Americans have a constitutional right to bear arms. I just dont think that allowing the public mass to walk around with a gun, is necessarily a good thing.

Yes, it's legal. Yes it's your right. But is it actually "right" ?

Do I hear a self defence argument about to come in? I think so ;)

The UK is a mess of a country, we have crime and crazy laws that make no sense, just like anywhere else - but in the UK, you never ever see a regular individual with a gun in their hand. You can go your entire life here without seeing a single gun anywhere than on a TV screen.

Sure, you can get a gun if you need/want one, sure people get killed with guns each day (I guess) in the UK, but it seems to me that common sense would say that if less people have them, then less people can be hurt by them.

One thing I dont know, if someone could educate me: You need a driving license for a car, and a gun license for a gun; but do you need to take and pass a test to get the gun license, or just apply for one? :dunce:

Like Chris Rock said so well...

"We dont need gun control - We need BULLET control.. If a bullet costs 5000$ there wouldent be a thing such as innocent bystanders.... There would be no "crime of passion".. if someone wanted to kill another guy he would have to save up for it for like half a year.."

Very good points all around.
i would also point out that just because it is my right as an American to own a gun, I choose not to do so. I respect Faust's right to do so, however.
And as Star suggested, perhaps it'd be better if they cost A LOT more ;)
Hehe- anyway, most responsible adults with guns are just that... responsible. It's when guns get into the wrong hands.... :(

Indeed, if someone wants a gun , they'll most certainly be able to get one, regardless of any law.

I'm reminded of my all time favourite quote "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to my death, your right to say it"

I think I read some statistics that kids/youngs in USA you got 12 times higher change to get shot when comparing to any other industrial country.

I have never even touched a gun and I dont really understand the enthusiasm to carry something you should hope you never need to use.

Starfinder said:
Like Chris Rock said so well...

"We dont need gun control - We need BULLET control.. If a bullet costs 5000$ there wouldent be a thing such as innocent bystanders.... There would be no "crime of passion".. if someone wanted to kill another guy he would have to save up for it for like half a year.."

hahaha yes so true :)

Watch the Bowling for Columbine movie, talks about all of the violent crime in america and puts most of the blame on the media which i can partially agree with. And Dirk i agree it is great to be able to discuss issues like this, and share each others opinions without letting everything turn into flaming

wow- i'm impressed. we're all very mature indeed...
*pats every1 on the back*
That's the best part of this game.... we're all from all over the globe, different ideas, different politics, different religions, etc etc... yet we CAN all get along... very refreshing :girl:

I dont quite share your facination for guns, buuuut most people probably dont have my facination for spiders.. sooooooo....

Skam said:
I dont quite share your facination for guns, buuuut most people probably dont have my facination for spiders.. sooooooo....

EEW I hate spiders :eek:

But I am a gun enthusiast.
I don't have 50 like my neighbor down the street ;)
But about once or twice a year I'll see one that catches my eye and I buy it.
Most of the new ones I bought have never been shot, mostly because I'm waiting for the 1 year to roll around after my sholder surgery, don't wanna take any chances screwing it up again.
When that time comes I'm heading up to West Virginia where raeky lives to test out all my new toys :D
Shooting is more of a sport for me, it is an olympic event.
I like assault weapons mostly, well they just look damn cool heh.
I currently own

1931 Colt .45 cal government issue with .22 cal conversion (pistol)
Ruger Mini 14 .223 cal (rifle)
Mossburg 500 12 guage Predator "Marine coated" (tricked out with laser, flashlight, pistol grip and folding stock, heat shield) (shot gun)
P. Berretta 390 12 guage (shot gun)
Walther G22 .22 cal (carbine) <- bought this yesterday
And about 2 other shot guns I got from my wifes father when he passed away, and an old single shot folding stock 12 guage my grandfather had.

hmm what do we have at home :p
Rifles: .308, 30-30, .270, 45-70 gov. issue, few mismatched .22's, few 12 guages, 30-06, 20 guage

Pistols: .44 mag, beretta 9mm vietnam standard issue (prettty old officer's gun),
22 pistol modeled like a beretta, few others

As you can see most all of these guns are used for hunting or protection from bears, few collectors items in there, my dad has alot of others

Back