Make Up Masks - how to :D (post-VU 14)

Helen Quant Winterwolf
First off, i am sure there are people out there more talented than me and who probably know more about the subject, but i always thought a thread like this might be useful so here goes nothing :) Please add your own experience :D
I just started make-up in entropia now that it's been reimplemented, since it's an old hobby of mine :) I couldn't wait to do my first make-up mask so this came to being:
attachment.php

As you can see, when you want to start make-up, you don't have to worry about your hair, as you become a baldie while in the make-up process :D
To enter the process you need to have an empty mask and at least 1 make up item (lipstick, eyeshadow, whatever) in your carried inventory.
Once this happens, you can click on the little question mark on the make-up window and you will get pretty much all the info on what you need to do.
attachment.php

You don't need to actually place the make-up mask in the window to start working on make-up. Just equip a make-up item and start drawing on your face. As long as the mask isn't in there and you don't press the OK button on the window, the whole money thing won't happen. When you get bored you can just press the X button and you will leave the make-up session having everything intact in your inventory and on your pedcard. MA will even save a backup of your work, you just need to press the OK button on the window that notifies you there is an existing backup next time you enter the make-up process.
Ok, this is getting too long...now that you know most about make-up, here are the disadvantages (well, i will just name the main disadvantage for now):
Face features matter. I took advantage of the fact that we can still modify our avatar for free and tried something for a make-up i was working on, which was supposed to represent a lace mask that goes around your eyes. I was just drawing the eye holes on the mask when i found out this.
Before:
attachment.php

After:
attachment.php

Needless to say i abandoned the project :D
There is more to say...another time, i don't want to bore people too much :)

Nice info. :)

nice info.. the impact on the mask seems to be much worse than I thought .. why the lines all get so curly when they have been straight.. I thought that just happend to old masks because the new system made it necessary to recalculate them.. but why it happen with a new mask you freshly made .. dunno :scratch2:

anyways good to know if you see a beautiful mask you have to try it before you buy, it could look messy on you :mad:

anyways good to know if you see a beautiful mask you have to try it before you buy, it could look messy on you :mad:

And on the mask i was making i only changed the eye shape and it was enough to turn into THAT :D

Gladly, it's not the case of all masks, i just tried different combinations of eyes and lips for the first mask i made and the idea stays the same (will probably post those pictures on the sale thread i have for the mask), although it's obvious the make-up "emulates" on your specific features. But that's a simple make-up also. On more complex masks tho... I'm afraid to try and make a lacey mask now :)) Maybe if i want it for personal use only.

And on the mask i was making i only changed the eye shape and it was enough to turn into THAT :D
why the lines all get so curly when they have been straight..

Seems logical to me. You changed the shape of the face even if slightly, but the mask knows nothing about where the eyes and everything on your face and can't follow the changes and realign itself to the new geometry.

You're right Svarog, it is logical... It still sucks tho :laugh: I personally thought people should know and understand this before they start on make-up.
I'm not sure if the problem with lines was the same before VU 14 to justify why people get more or less frustrated by this. Maybe our faces just weren't that complex before and the differences weren't so obvious.
Or maybe we should just stick to more simple models especially when it comes to areas of our face that tend to be more problematic (i'm thinking of the area around the eyes (not eye contour tho), cheeks, nose).

Thanks to the OP for that introduction. Always wondered how that beauty stuff works. I don't really want to start it as a profession, however I want to create something for my own avatar and still couldn'd find out what I need and how to do it. Basically I want a tatoo style thing on my forehead. So I understand you don't need tools (unlike body sculpting) But what kind of makeup material is best for making a tatoo thing on the forehead and what mask size is needed? Does it make a difference what size is used?
Didn't want to start a new subject, thought this here would be a good place to post these questions (and possible answers scince I'm sure other people like me come across this thread searching for makeup tutorials in the forum) :)

Thanks to the OP for that introduction. Always wondered how that beauty stuff works. I don't really want to start it as a profession, however I want to create something for my own avatar and still couldn'd find out what I need and how to do it. Basically I want a tatoo style thing on my forehead. So I understand you don't need tools (unlike body sculpting) But what kind of makeup material is best for making a tatoo thing on the forehead and what mask size is needed? Does it make a difference what size is used?
Didn't want to start a new subject, thought this here would be a good place to post these questions (and possible answers scince I'm sure other people like me come across this thread searching for makeup tutorials in the forum) :)

Hope my answer still helps. For a tattoo i guess i would use a cosmetic pen, althought it's tedious work you get lines that are better defined (just use the undo button a lot). You can also try some face paint.
I don't think i expressed myself well enough in the first post but you don't actually need a mask to start a make-up. Unless MA changed anything lately...i have to admit i lost interest in make-up quite fast :D so i didn't check it out for a while. But basically if you have any kind of make-up, just start a make-up session and try drawing on ya face. You won't lose any material or ped by trying. And afaik the type of make-up mask used doesn't really make a difference except for TT value.
When i get the time i will try some more make-up and will update this thread if there are any changes.

Back