Melee still undervalued?

Spawn

Slayer
Society
The Ministry
Storm Spawn Bootcamp
So yesterday I was checking the auction and I saw this beauty :

[url]http://www.entropiawiki.com/Info.aspx?chart=Weapon&name=Castorian_Xeno-Dagger_Scratcher
[/URL]

It had a sb of tt+5835, So I thought, that's a nice step up from my Songkra, Shagadi damage with songkra reload speed and nice tt. I bid on the item, thinking others would snoop it up later. To my surprise I won the bid and am now the proud owner of the weapon. Then I did some comparing on entropedia and to my surprise I noticed a Melee trauma amp VII would fit on it. I did some cross comparing with other items with the same dps and this is what I noticed. Ok I know it's apples and pears..

xeno.jpg

tt+5833 is what I payed..for a tier 2 one. check thread title...

I was watching that auction,Grats,I thought you got a great deal on it.

The biggest issue with it though is the SIB req....55 is still out of the range of a lot of SB users and with so many options in the lower levels anyway.

I was watching that auction,Grats,I thought you got a great deal on it.

The biggest issue with it though is the SIB req....55 is still out of the range of a lot of SB users and with so many options in the lower levels anyway.

Imo the biggest issue with all melee is range ;). Personally i would value +70m ranged gun with exactly same eco and dps as melee about 4-5 times more. Handguns with 20-40m range probably twice the value of melee.

Falagor
:bandit:

I agree, it is the range.

I mean I would love to be melee, i think it is so cool. Not having that range though, I need it.

Imo the biggest issue with all melee is range ;). Personally i would value +70m ranged gun with exactly same eco and dps as melee about 4-5 times more. Handguns with 20-40m range probably twice the value of melee.

Falagor

enigmal4.jpg

Sooo Enigma L4 should be 11k ?

enigmal4.jpg

Sooo Enigma L4 should be 11k ?

(Castoriam Xeno-Dagger Scratcher + Trauma VII) x2 = Enigma L4 + Dante

Imo ;).

So Enigma L4 alone roughly 18-20k tops... thats MAX how much i would pay for one (low tier since we compare to low tier scratcher).

Falagor

Oh no, not the pricecheck wars again.

Someone call the cops.

Oh no don't crash resellers dream :(

Elaborate please, i only commented with a logical conclusion on falagors statement.

What does this has to do with resellers?

And to the OP, no i dont think melee is undervalued, its the other weapons that are overvalued.

I switched to Long Blades about 7 months ago for this exact reason. it's not that I don't use ranged weapons anymore, it is more that I wanted a decent weapon with SIB that I could always repair no matter what my financial situation in the game was.

After 7 months I can confirm that I am very happy with my choice. 2000 ped got me RLB S1X1 and Melee Trauma Amp III (I am told this maybe the only one in the game) not sure if that is true.

This setup gives me enough DPS to hunt most things that I would normally grind. For larger mobs I always have a stash of UL guns and as I predominantly use the melee setup, the guns don't need replacing that often and I can usually get what I need from daily missions.

I agree that the range is an issue but you do get the advantage of quicker increase in HP and carried weight for the first few months when you skill it. I have however reached that plateau now, where it will be a while before I am ready for the Dehera Immoliation Sword (with Trauma Amp IV) but I will probably upgrade to RLBS1X2 when my skills allow.

I switched to Long Blades about 7 months ago for this exact reason. it's not that I don't use ranged weapons anymore, it is more that I wanted a decent weapon with SIB that I could always repair no matter what my financial situation in the game was.

After 7 months I can confirm that I am very happy with my choice. 2000 ped got me RLB S1X1 and Melee Trauma Amp III (I am told this maybe the only one in the game) not sure if that is true.

This setup gives me enough DPS to hunt most things that I would normally grind. For larger mobs I always have a stash of UL guns and as I predominantly use the melee setup, the guns don't need replacing that often and I can usually get what I need from daily missions.

I agree that the range is an issue but you do get the advantage of quicker increase in HP and carried weight for the first few months when you skill it. I have however reached that plateau now, where it will be a while before I am ready for the Dehera Immoliation Sword (with Trauma Amp IV) but I will probably upgrade to RLBS1X2 when my skills allow.

As a former owner of an UL emik t10, cb 21, r150, and ranked scorpion, I decided to go the melee route at the beginning of the year and start skilling maces. I am now doing the same dps as my ranked scorpion at half the cost, not to mention at much higher eco with less enhancers being used. I do admit that not having range sucks as I really like to participate in shared mobs (and it feels like aggro takes into consideration your distance to the mob, i.e. more aggro if closer) but in general, i am very happy with my decision. I have more liquid ped than ever before, I know the exact cost of my hunts, and I can still make a few extra ped on 'crapnel' along the way :)

Im about to do the switch myself now after reaching commando. Think its the perfect time, as my hp will raise even quicker and for shared loot events i can still grab a high lvl L weapon for range :)

Im about to do the switch myself now after reaching commando. Think its the perfect time, as my hp will raise even quicker and for shared loot events i can still grab a high lvl L weapon for range :)

Thats a plan you dont carry alone :)

I think Slither commented that this shortblade has a relatively low tt compared to the Arcspark.

Last edited:
I think Slither commented that this shortblade has a relatively low tt compared to the Arcspark; and will break quickly if you use damage enhancers. Also, not many players have the skills to max it. Additionally, a tier 5 Arcspark was sold for 5k on bids; a near 50% collapse on the previous sales of this weapon.

Indeed, Arcspark value drop was just a matter of time before it happened.

It is really hard for me to find anything that can do what the arkspark can.
Its not an event winner. But for the all around melee package I can't find better.
100+ DPS
Perfect TT for one hr runs.
Take off amp and enhancers for lower HP mobs and no overkill.
Fast reload for fapping.
Max use from a cheap and eco amp.
Slow weapons are soooooooooo booooring.
Freaking cheap.

As for commando then switching to melee. Why? You can have commando lvl HP before L70 with it.

After commando maybe I'll find a nice ranged weapon.... Who knows.

It is really hard for me to find anything that can do what the arkspark can.
Its not an event winner. But for the all around melee package I can't find better.
100+ DPS
Perfect TT for one hr runs.
Take off amp and enhancers for lower HP mobs and no overkill.
Fast reload for fapping.
Max use from a cheap and eco amp.
Slow weapons are soooooooooo booooring.
Freaking cheap.

As for commando then switching to melee. Why? You can have commando lvl HP before L70 with it.

After commando maybe I'll find a nice ranged weapon.... Who knows.

I don't know.. my mace mk III has 42 atk/min like many other rifles and critting over 330 is pretty awesome :D Not all slower weapons are boring, but yes the really slow ones suck ass IMO

I'll pass on the 330 crits, sounds like a bit too much overkill for me.
As for the arcspark, i still love it & started using it again after the amp prices dropped a bit
I'm maxed on the xeno also & borrowed one from star way back, TT is indeed way too low, even w/o enhancers

A lot of good info from prior posts.

I made the change from range to melee early this year as well. Traded my 40k setup (withdrew some to pay off something IRL) and went with a 5k setup. My current 5k melee setup consists of a tier 6.7 Songkra dagger with melee trauma amp VI. Ofc I do miss my T8 CalyTrek MK II TEN Ed. w/ Dante, but going to melee again I'm able to work on evade, increase carrying capacity, and work on HP gains. Only thing is dealing with repairs and range, but i use a portable repair unit (L) and an UL enkidd howler S4 for tagging. Overall, I'm glad i made the move as the direction from MA is one of speculation, and hope that I won't miss the next ArcSpark discount deal when it comes again, lol.

Regards,
Vi

It would be cool if they could add a small armor bonus when you are using melee weapons, maybe % chance to deflect or "absorb" part of the damage. That would give the melee weapons a benefit when you are in a close range fight and guns a benefit when you are not.

It would be cool if they could add a small armor bonus when you are using melee weapons, maybe % chance to deflect or "absorb" part of the damage. That would give the melee weapons a benefit when you are in a close range fight and guns a benefit when you are not.

Or how about allowing us to equip shields when wielding 1h melee weapons? :yup:

Indeed, Arcspark value drop was just a matter of time before it happened.

Been saying that sinve the dawn of melee amps. Not just Arcspark

That would be epic and add a very nice variety to this gsme. Also hope to more items and pets with buffs.

Yeah that could be something, maybe some kind of energy-shield that works against guns also.

The thing with melee is that your evade and dodger profession are bottlenecking you in a very heavy manner. That will drop your overall performance in terms of a global dpp measure unless you are hunting mobs that are way under your evader or dodger profession.

Argonauts (young) are the ones for me atm that won't crit my ped card due to a modified armor decay and and fap bill. Smaller Bristlehogs with an earth shock trooper and archons swords is working aswell. Anything that is above a third of my evader profession is a big no go for me.

So in that sense the prices are ok at least for me.

PS: Anyway its pretty fun to lure robots behind a tree and melee them down :yup:

Bonus Abilities. Would be silly to think melee would get a perk (aside from being much cheaper, which you already have -- market value is your perk) without the other types of weapons also getting perks.

Of course, since i wrote that post seven years ago, MA has shown that they plan to charge us for most new perks, rather than add additional free complexity to the game. Vis
Sigh. Really? Regen nanobots? You're really going to make us pay for what you took away?
(Click arrow icon next to quote for original thread)

Last edited:
Bonus Abilities. Would be silly to think melee would get a perk (aside from being much cheaper, which you already have -- market value is your perk) without the other types of weapons also getting perks.

Of course, since i wrote that post seven years ago, MA has shown that they plan to charge us for most new perks, rather than add additional free complexity to the game. Vis (Click arrow icon next to quote for original thread)

Well the range weapons have a "perk" that they have range attacks......

The thing with melee is that your evade and dodger profession are bottlenecking you in a very heavy manner. That will drop your overall performance in terms of a global dpp measure unless you are hunting mobs that are way under your evader or dodger profession.

Argonauts (young) are the ones for me atm that won't crit my ped card due to a modified armor decay and and fap bill. Smaller Bristlehogs with an earth shock trooper and archons swords is working aswell. Anything that is above a third of my evader profession is a big no go for me.

So in that sense the prices are ok at least for me.

PS: Anyway its pretty fun to lure robots behind a tree and melee them down :yup:

That is called trapping and might get you banned, so might be a good idea to stop doing so.

That is called trapping and might get you banned, so might be a good idea to stop doing so.

Hmm, I was under the impression that forcing mobs to get stuck within the geometry in order to not get hit at all is suspect to this offence.

Tagging a bot and running behind a tree waiting for said robot to appear in your face and left clicking it down while taking its hits is aswell? Probably have to file a support case than to get a clear yes or no.

Anyway thanks for the heads up.

Hmm, I was under the impression that forcing mobs to get stuck within the geometry in order to not get hit at all is suspect to this offence.

Tagging a bot and running behind a tree waiting for said robot to appear in your face and left clicking it down while taking its hits is aswell? Probably have to file a support case than to get a clear yes or no.

Anyway thanks for the heads up.

Aha, I misunderstood. I interpreted it as if the bot won't be able to hit you while you kill it.

Back