Menace = LOCKED ACCT!

Status

Menace

Elite
Society
SECRET
Rob Menace Klok
*Plea to the community*

I know many of us have opinions and some very strong. I KNOW many of you will voice them here and I expect such. I simply ask that you PLEASE keep vulgarities and extreme negativity out of this thread as I think it will become an important topic of conversation and I'd hate to have it closed. You are more than welcome to curse and swear at me via PM if it'll keep this thread clean. I expect name calling and politely ask the mods to moderate this thread on a language level only and allow people to speak their mind as long as they keep their wording respectful to the forum.

To start things off bluntly for those who don't want to read the forthcoming wall of text.... I have had my account in EU locked for trapping big Marcimex in the Cyclops depths. I am NOT about to dispute nor attempt to justify my actions. Simply put.... GUILTY!

Now for the meat and potatoes of things.....

We'll start with the ToU under which I am being punished for violating just so no-one has to search for it.

Entropia Universe Account Terms of Use (ToU)

8. MindArk’s Rules of Conduct

j. You must immediately report errors and bugs in the Entropia Universe to MindArk whenever You discover them. You may not “cheat” or otherwise neglect to report errors or bugs, use bugs, slow connection, Internet latency, or other 'exploits' for own benefits or for the benefit of others.

*You may not cheat for own benefits.

Ok so let's take a look at this seeings it's what I've been banned for.

Benefits:

Financial Gain - I have lost 8k~ PED trapping Marcimex. There was definately no financial gain.
Skills - I was not taking any defensive decay thus "cheating" MYSELF out of skill gains PED vs. PED cycled. (No evade or Paramedic and associated skills being gained.)
Mission Points for Rewards - Given the high rate of regen and my low DPS I could have accumulated points faster on the small ones.
Real Life "Ease of Grinding" - I did benefit here. I've got a 2.5 mth old baby and 3 other kids plus a wife, dog, and household that all need attention. Autofiring and not having to worry about fapping DID in fact make my busy RL a lot easier. HOWEVER.... without the ability to autofire like a no-mind I wouldn't have logged nearly as much time online thus cutting my losses significantly which in turn wouldn't have helped the system cover 330k ATH's as much.

So as per the ToU in which I was locked, it's VERY clear that this (in my case) is a grey area at best. I mean... I guess I COULD have gotten lucky and ATH'd, but as it stands this was not working towards my avatar's benefit in any way shape or form. So I guess seeings my personal RL is none of MA's business.... They've locked my account based on the fact that other players were complaining. Players who without a doubt were oblivious to the cost of killing those mobs whom only WANTED to see the slimes I looted or the few HoF's I got so that they could rage whine about my trapping. Up until the point where I was locked... the ToU had not been violated as there was no clear benefit within EU for myself.

Mindark's Social Responsibility:

What is Social Responsibility?
Def:
Social responsibility is an ethical theory that an entity, be it an organization or individual, has an obligation to act to benefit society at large. Social responsibility is a duty every individual or organization has to perform so as to maintain a balance between the economy and the ecosystem.

Like all organizations MindArk has a social responsibility to us... the players within EU. However where does that social responsibility lie? In locking players who are cheating? Or in FIXING the problems in a reasonable amount of time? What IS a reasonable amount of time? The months and several VU's that have gone by since the Cyclops depths have opened? Many, MANY players got 24 hour locks for trapping in the Cyclops Depths.... yet here we are today with myself being banned MONTHS later, and still.... the problem lies there for others to utilize.

Participants Social Responsibility:

What is our social responsibility as players? The ToU sais it's NOT to cheat for benefit. Ok. So then is it to report cheaters? Ivi from Hungarian Trox Killers thought so. She/he reported me..... I dunno how many times. Trying to be a thorn in my side. Well here's the kicker... Attached to my support case I made asking how long my ban was, is a screenshot of me trapping Shadowshell. Anyone wanna guess who's about 10 steps to my left? Yup. Ivi! I mean... this person spent their days and nights following me around in the Cyclops depths. PROBABLY can make claim to being the one who actually filed the support cases which got me locked. And now in MindArk's eyes their word is MUD because they themself couldn't resist trapping a big mob. Is this game REALLY in a state where hypocrisy reigns supreme?

Listen guys/gals. I knew this day was coming. Ivi will tell ya... these past few days I did NOTHING to hide what I was doing. I liquidated any garbage I had kicking around and cycled through the PEDs so that my account was at lowest possible value. I MIGHT have a couple k PED in guns/ammo/armor right now. This is no surprise to myself or anyone else who's filed support cases against me.

There is however a REAL problem with the system as a whole. What if I would have hit some stupid 1M PED ATH by trapping? Trapping that's been an issue for MONTHS without repair. What if I would have looted an uber item way above what I deserve vs. the money I've deposited over the past 5 years? Is it ok to just ban the player? Even PERMA-Ban the player? For what? So that another person can come along and do the same thing?

How about the players that scream bloody murder only to have themselves get screenied doing the EXACT SAME THING? I mean... if my trapping was so wrong, then how valuable is a player to the community who is not only a trapper... but a hypocrite?

I don't know how long my ban will last. I do however, know that I've got FRAPS of several other players doing the exact same thing. Sort of an "insurance policy" if you wish. Several of them VERY VERY high level and well known players. Chances are... if you've trapped big marcimex in the past week.... I've got ya on FRAPS. That is NOT a threat to release those clips. Though I think I'm pretty much done with the hypocrites and if I see one of you here "scorn" me you will probably get a link to the youtube clip of yourself trapping in response.

As for the people that trapped WITH me (and you know who you's are... there are many), no worries there. I did not FRAPS anyone I was hunting with. Nor will I ever disclose TO ANYONE who you are. Believe me... just cuz I "did something bad" in a video game doesn't mean I've got no RL honor.

In closing, I'd like this thread to lead to a topic of debate as to whether or not "trapping" should be considered a "cheat" and if so... at what point has MindArks window of opportunity for social responsibility closed? You can't seriously believe that a broken system that's left to sit broken for months.... years.... decades.... can still be considered "un-intentional". Maybe the marcimex example is still "young enough" to warrant bans, but at what point do we as players step back and say... "Hey... if they don't care enough to fix it... we're going to use it!".

Ok Folks!

Keep er' clean!

Menace

as much as I do not like you I think a ban is to much, Should this be your first time exploiting, a few weeks of having your account suspended would be fine. I have seen others do much worse and with no action taken though this kind of exploit was more common years ago. I did not read all of your post.

I hope you get your account unlocked and soon, it seems MA is sticking to their policy of we fuck you its ok, you toe the line we hit you with a big stick. It is easier to find a scape goat than to fix the bugs, I am sure they will quietly unlock you after making their pathetic little point. Good luck chief.

Sorry didnt read everything in your post but in case you didnt say it I thought MA made a statement that trapping in the caves was an issue and if done you get locked? imo its like vtol hunting. You are saving quite a lot on defense costs. If no one reports you you'll get away with it but if someone films and reports it you will get temporary ban.

btw I know at least one other player got a 5 day lock today as well for the same thing.

This is such a stupid thread. I was appauled to read this, you 100% deserve the ban and I hope its perma. First talking about potential blackmail videos to releasing names? Also, of course trapping is cheating, there is absolutely nothing to support it not being cheating or justify it in any way. This thread is a complete joke and should be closed. Im glad you lost peds, Im glad you got banned, and I hope it stays perma. I have hardly been in Cyclops because I couldnt hunt there, just as you shouldnt have been in there trapping marcimex because you couldnt kill them.

Sorry but I do not support cheating and it should not be allowed in any form, this is for sure cheating. Be happy if its a 1 week lock and dont do it again. I honestly dont see the point of this thread but whatever. My big problem though is the things you talked about and how you approach trapping. Least you admit to it I suppose.

PS: By trapping you save a lot of peds that we have to normally spend just because you glitch. It hurts the game in total and I feel a week ban would really be too short... perma too long... couple months, just right. That is if this is your first acc lock.

Last edited:
You're going to wait this one out as it's in MA's hands now, and posting here is going to do absolutely nothing. MA runs their business as they see fit, and they do crack down on people whom attempt to gain an unfair advantage over the gaming mechanisms in place through the use of exploits. If MA has an internal record on you from previous attempts of using exploits, it's anyone's guess in regards to how it will be handled.

j. You must immediately report errors and bugs in the Entropia Universe to MindArk whenever You discover them. You may not “cheat” or otherwise neglect to report errors or bugs, use bugs, slow connection, Internet latency, or other 'exploits' for own benefits or for the benefit of others.
Always have thought this clause is extremely vague on purpose so Mindark can basically do whatever the hell they want. They don't define cheating, exploits, bugs are in clear precise terms because they want to be be able to change any 'feature' in to a 'bug' on a whim. Unfortunately, it's been always like that, and likely will always be.

Sorry to hear you got banned, but when you play with fire sometimes you do get burned.

As far as fraps, etc. goes, go ahead and post em... but it won't do any good. Unfortunately Mindark doesn't work based on that type of thing. If you report something you will be the one that gets hit with the penalties for reporting them. Those that stay silent will keep on being able to keep doing as they always have unhindered by anyone at Mindark. I think it's sort of a subtle hint from MA when they do that type of completely biased crap that they want everyone in game to work on that sort of principle... It's kinda like "we'll put this statement out there that you should not cheat and should report it all, but really we just don't want to be bothered since our coders can't really test things out as they just want to rush them out as quickly as possible so that we can say that this new 'system' or 'feature' is here - so deposit NOW heavily..."

Sorry but I do not support cheating and it should not be allowed in any form, this is for sure cheating.

As I pointed out.. this is NOT cheating as per the ToU. MindArk has said it is cheating after hundreds of players complained about it.

Menace

As far as fraps, etc. goes, go ahead and post em... but it won't do any good. Unfortunately Mindark doesn't work based on that type of thing.

Oh no... you mistook what I was trying to say. I don't wanna post FRAPS vids in order to have someone banned. Heck I was doing the same thing.... I was just stating that if one of those people whom I have FRAPS of comes to this thread and complains about my trapping... then I will post video evidence in order to call out the hypocrites. That is all. IMO and through my experience... the system is designed to account for 0 defensive decay. My return % seem equal to those who hunt them properly. If this was cheating then I should have been at break even long term MINIMUM. So I'm all for MA giving the green light on trapping/VTOL hunting/etc. The loot system is designed to accomodate for that. "legal" test... kill mobs with big gun so they die before they get to you. Then kill same mobs with small gun but similar eco where the mob will chew on ya a bit.

Menace

As I pointed out.. this is NOT cheating as per the ToU. MindArk has said it is cheating after hundreds of players complained about it.

Menace

You sure didnt point it out well. This is obviously cheating as it can be used for financial gain, ease of grinding, and mission points. Maybe you didnt violate some of these but its obviously a cheat. You gained potential peds lost in armor/fap for sure, yoh said you had an easier time grinding, and easily with a better gun you csn improve mission points. It doesnt even seem logical to be allowed to trap mobs and avoid armor/fap decay...

Between all the Fapbots I see daily and people who knowingly abused the auction bugs owning moons, I don't think what you did is all that bad.

I disagree :/ it seems you are saying that because others do worse things, this isnt bad or at least isnt very bad/shouldnt be bannable?

I disagree :/ it seems you are saying that because others do worse things, this isnt bad or at least isnt very bad/shouldnt be bannable?

I'm saying they only gave people a 24 hour lock for doing shit far worse.

You're whining about being temp-banned for intentionally trapping in instances, when MindArk have explicitly announced this as an exploit.

Be grateful you've not (yet) been perma-banned. Whining about your temp-ban just makes you look stupid.

Menace said:
..I'd like this thread to lead to a topic of debate as to whether or not "trapping" should be considered a "cheat"..

MindArk have already announced that it is, and that there are consequences.
Let this be a learning experience.

Trapping monsters inside the new Cyclops Depths dungeon is considered an exploit. Intentional abuse of the disabled anti-trapping logic will from now on be punished.
The anti-trapping logic will be activated in the next Platform Update and will be applied to all instanced areas.
'Next platform update' since this was published is the one due next week.

End of discussion

:locked:

Last edited:
Status
Back