Mentor System improvements

Alice

Slayer
Society
Rising Potentials
Alice in Wonderland
Since i thought a bit about the mentoring system (again), i will give a little summary.
The order will be from easy to harder to implement.

And ofc, I start with the skill levels.

The current skill level to kick your mentor is 10% progress in any graduation skill, say 200 rifle. But you are not allowed to get a mentor at level 20 in any of those skills anymore.
Means, above level 20 you can’t change the mentor anymore, just kick the old one.
Kinda unlogical
If 10% is enough is another topic, I would say 15% would be good too, but the level to take a mentor should at least be near that level, and not 180 levels away.

Besides, level 20 is very fast to reach.
If someone wants to take a look first, doesn’t take a mentor to waste the time of another person, tests a bit hunting, and decides then to get a mentor, isn’t allowed anymore.
But especially those ppl are interesting for mentors, since they decided to stay but would accept help.

Another interesting level is 100 in graduation skills.
At this level you are able to mentor newcomers.
Now, let’s do a little thinking.
Say, you are a newbie, got enough sweat to buy say 3000 ammo.
Now, you are at level 100 rifle, and your cash is gone and you hear that mentors get a gift.
So, what do you do?
Do 30 ped ammo, or say 5 hours of shooting really enable you to become a mentor and give useful advice?

So, what would help ?

Simply rise those levels, pretty easy to implement.

1.The level when you can take a mentor should at least be close to the level where you can kick the mentor.
2.Make the mentor kick level higher, not necessary that much, but 200 is pretty fast to reach
(several ppl are giving out free opalos to make the ppl skill to that level, or at least level 20)
3.Rise the levels to become a mentor. 5 hours of shooting don’t give you the ability to give useful advice, since you have no knowledge really, or at least not really the experience for it.

Next, graduation levels.

Level 2000 rifle, 1900 LB, PF, that’s ok.

But, 1900 concentration ?
I mean, rifle, LB,… that are primary skills, rising pretty fast.
Concentration is a secondary skill, and rising slower by far. (Maybe some prof standing info, when you graduate in rifle, your prof standing is around 1.3 hit, if you are 1.3 hit psychotropian, you are at around 50% of the skilling).
The cost to skill MF are higher too.

Coloring, Tailoring, Engeneering 1900
Well, Coloring needs improvements anyway, its terribly hard to skill up and very costy.
Tailoring and Engineering are very hard to skill up too.

What would help ? easy to implement too.
Lower some of those levels, so that graduation would cost around the same at least.

Next point is mentor rewarding

I will start with the skill Mentor.
Before VU 7.4 you got around level 20 for a graduated disciple, nowadays you get ½ of the bar, if you get any skill increase at all, making it impossible to reach any interesting level.
This skill does basically nothing, it doesn’t help to get a better gift, not useful for HP, only thing it does, it is improving your prof standing, so, what do I care ?
That would be kinda uninteresting, but the prof standing is displayed to a newcomer when you add him as disciple.
And if you have still a prof standing of “Inept Mentor” after 26 (!) graduated disciples (pretty close to record i guess) something is wrong. ^.-

Simply change it back again, or make the skill increase even higher. (easy to implement)
I mean, what would be so bad if you would get say 100 levels per disciple?
Your prof standing would rise at least, and makes you a bit proud. ;)

The mentor gifts
Well, to make it short, they are crap.
There wasn’t much use for the mentor items before, and after introducing L weapons any use that existed is kinda gone.
Before the Alpha ME was the only acceptable skilling weapon for blp handgun, now it isn’t anymore.
The Brave Me had just a use in case of good eco, and now that’s better reached with the breer series.

At the moment you get no skills and no fireplace ME, just items to throw into the fireplace.
I understand pretty well that it can’t be something worth 100-300 ped all the time. Ppl would just make multiple avas to mentor themselves, but the current absolutely useless crap ME you get is an insult after the time you spent.

So, what could you do ? (easy to implement)
Add skill increase bonus to the ME items ?
That would be great ofc, and even logical.
When you graduate at the moment, and your mentor gets a say Brave ME, your hit ability on it is 1.3. (most likely the disciple has better weapons anyway) but say it would be 10!
Or if SIB is too much, simply fix the HA at a certain level, say 10.
That would increase the use by far.

But it would also increase the value too much, read multiple avas, so its kinda bad again if it would be implemented.

Therefore (needs work to implement)
Make new ME items, not necessary weapons, or faps (although, faps wouldn’t be that bad ;) )
I’m thinking about storage boxes mentor edition.
t the moment my first small storage box is full, mainly with alpha ME, and I need a new one
so, a storage box ME to put all the useless ME items in you get would be sweet .
or stuff for apartments, like chair ME., or say a painting of your graduated disciple

Or, to make it short again, if the weapons can’t compete in any case against existing stuff, since those are more eco, faster, whatever, simply give other stuff that might have a use.
It is terribly frustrating to get 5 alpha ME in a row. And that not just seen with market value, it is terribly useless.

To come to an end, a friendlist just for disciple would be great too.
If you kick a disciple or a disciple graduates , you would be asked to move him to your real friendlist, and could accept or not.
At the moment your max count in disciples is 100, and since I don’t want to kick them all from the list (some are around 86%, I still have hope they come back) I have to refuse other ppl. But even if you would just take disciples, you couldn’t have them all in the fl (max 80) so that’s kinda stupid. And what happens if disciples graduate? Kick them from fl to get new ones?
I’d like to keep them.
Therefore, an own friendlist for disciples would be very useful imo.

thx for reading this ;)

Very nice, I also wanted a new desciple FL, that would be very useful-Or a deciples tab on the chatbox, where you can all talk together and learn at the same time.
+Rep, its very good

Always full of thoughtful ideas. I hope MA implement some of them. An FL just for disciples is a good idea. On a slightly off topic I really think they should introduce more FLs one for soc, one for disciples and another for random people :)

As for mentoring. Maybe they should introduce a secondary feature. You get your basic gift when the disciple graduates but you could also get a bonus 6 months down the line. If the disciple is still in game, active, has reached a certain number of levels etc (a bit like the algorithm they use for determining Christmas presents).

And I actually think you should be rewarded more if your mentoring levels are higher.

And I totally agree with raising the levels for when you can choose a mentor. I have 4 unofficial disciples because they were too highly skilled. I just continue to help them out anyway.

Keep the ideas flowing Alice :)

maybe as little bump, errr, info

i sent the same info as support case, and the answer was different
well, not those i usually got :D

maybe as little bump, errr, info

i sent the same info as support case, and the answer was different
well, not those i usually got :D

You mean they came up with something else - nice ;)

Nice text Alice!

Some great ideas which would really improve the mentoring system. Hopefully a MA official reads this thread and picks up some of that points.

just passing to say hi ^^

great idea btw
i think ma should listen more to what ppl have to say
even if they want profit some ideas could help them make their money AND keep more members online

^^

My ideas.

Only societies can mentor new players. A society can not have more than 10% of their total membership as disciples.

Rather than individual mentors getting rewards for graduates - societies would get rewards for disciples. For example, for each disciple that graduates a society would get 5 shared storage spots. When a society reaches 50 graduates a system message would broadcast in the main chat and that society would get access to a special society hall that can be reserved for society events.

The current rewards would be given to the graduates and more targeted based on their profession path. So, someone that graduates in rifle gets a random rifle (bravo ME, mk2 me, mkv me) and someone that graduates in longblades gets a random sword/blade (Axe 2x0 ME, kat honor ME.)

You can be mentored up to three times. So, after you graduate in rifle you can be mentored again in another profession. In theory, you can complete the discipleship in a hunting, mining, and a crafting profession so you can get the feel on the entire game. If any profession reaches 2x the graduation level you are no longer eligible for another discipleship.

Finally, societies would be given special tags in the society terminal to show their mentorship status.

Only societies can mentor new players. A society can not have more than 10% of their total membership as disciples.
would lead to newbie invitations to reach a higher member count (it already exist, ppl do it to get the min count of member to save the soc from disbanding in the first days), that would even increase it
Rather than individual mentors getting rewards for graduates - societies would get rewards for disciples. For example, for each disciple that graduates a society would get 5 shared storage spots. When a society reaches 50 graduates a system message would broadcast in the main chat and that society would get access to a special society hall that can be reserved for society events.
erf, it wouldn't work, i doubt it at least
the storage spots ?, whom in your soc can you believe
and say you get new disciples in the soc, who sais they dont go to that spot and pick the whole stuff up (with the soc ranks, i know ;) )
The current rewards would be given to the graduates and more targeted based on their profession path. So, someone that graduates in rifle gets a random rifle (bravo ME, mk2 me, mkv me) and someone that graduates in longblades gets a random sword/blade (Axe 2x0 ME, kat honor ME.)
ah, and the mentor for spending the time ?
you are the one who wants cash when he goes to school rather then the teachers?
i mean, since the newbies are so precious and its an honor to help their precious beings, the mentor should be even thankful to be able to help it
and the disciple who was so kind to allow a lower being of a mentor to help him gets a gift for his kindness ?
really ?

at the current state we don't have that many mentors (i mean, skill gain sucks, gifts do), and it is pretty much work sometimes, you spend a lot of time with helping and answering questions and are already not rewarded

this would kill the mentoring system finally

You can be mentored up to three times. So, after you graduate in rifle you can be mentored again in another profession. In theory, you can complete the discipleship in a hunting, mining, and a crafting profession so you can get the feel on the entire game. If any profession reaches 2x the graduation level you are no longer eligible for another discipleship.
could be interesting

Alice, you forgot something, you are always complaining in the soc chat.

The list of disciples cannot be sorted.

Just a hint. You can say more about that...

;)

Alice, you forgot something, you are always complaining in the soc chat.

The list of disciples cannot be sorted.

Just a hint. You can say more about that...

;)
that would need loads if work i guess :laugh:

the page numbers disappears too when you go away from page 1 :rolleyes:

i tried to mention the easy stuff :silly2:

and not everyone is a newbie harvester like me :rolleyes:

guess i give it a bump after so much time and without any changes ;)

well, they promised upgrade almost 2 years ago, so it should be close now, another year or two and done! =)

J.

Next point is mentor rewarding

I will start with the skill Mentor.
Before VU 7.4 you got around level 20 for a graduated disciple, nowadays you get ½ of the bar, if you get any skill increase at all, making it impossible to reach any interesting level.
This skill does basically nothing, it doesn’t help to get a better gift, not useful for HP, only thing it does, it is improving your prof standing, so, what do I care ?
That would be kinda uninteresting, but the prof standing is displayed to a newcomer when you add him as disciple.
And if you have still a prof standing of “Inept Mentor” after 26 (!) graduated disciples (pretty close to record i guess) something is wrong. ^.-

Simply change it back again, or make the skill increase even higher. (easy to implement)
I mean, what would be so bad if you would get say 100 levels per disciple?
Your prof standing would rise at least, and makes you a bit proud. ;)

The mentor gifts
Well, to make it short, they are crap.
There wasn’t much use for the mentor items before, and after introducing L weapons any use that existed is kinda gone.
Before the Alpha ME was the only acceptable skilling weapon for blp handgun, now it isn’t anymore.
The Brave Me had just a use in case of good eco, and now that’s better reached with the breer series.

At the moment you get no skills and no fireplace ME, just items to throw into the fireplace.
I understand pretty well that it can’t be something worth 100-300 ped all the time. Ppl would just make multiple avas to mentor themselves, but the current absolutely useless crap ME you get is an insult after the time you spent.

So, what could you do ? (easy to implement)
Add skill increase bonus to the ME items ?
That would be great ofc, and even logical.
When you graduate at the moment, and your mentor gets a say Brave ME, your hit ability on it is 1.3. (most likely the disciple has better weapons anyway) but say it would be 10!
Or if SIB is too much, simply fix the HA at a certain level, say 10.
That would increase the use by far.

But it would also increase the value too much, read multiple avas, so its kinda bad again if it would be implemented.

Therefore (needs work to implement)
Make new ME items, not necessary weapons, or faps (although, faps wouldn’t be that bad ;) )
I’m thinking about storage boxes mentor edition.
t the moment my first small storage box is full, mainly with alpha ME, and I need a new one
so, a storage box ME to put all the useless ME items in you get would be sweet .
or stuff for apartments, like chair ME., or say a painting of your graduated disciple

Or, to make it short again, if the weapons can’t compete in any case against existing stuff, since those are more eco, faster, whatever, simply give other stuff that might have a use.
It is terribly frustrating to get 5 alpha ME in a row. And that not just seen with market value, it is terribly useless.

Heya Alice,

I note the place where you say, in short mentor gifts are crap.

A previous discussion on this subject with some ideas may give you a few ideas also. Though I like your line of thinking, I personally feel the whole reward system needs to be changed in a sense.

Anyway, here are a few of the previously formed ideas regarding a qualification/reward system to add to your thoughts ...

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/general-discussion/93387-q-david-mindark-6.html#post1117273

~ Sparkz

sorry i missed this thread the first time around.
Great set of concepts, Alice.

and i agree with your take on Thoreau's post.. the multiple mentorship wouldn't be a bad idea at all. of course, as usual, they'll have to figure out a way to keep from having it abused by multi's and such.

one thing i didn't see specifically mentioned, and was curious to get your take on, is this:
you mentioned raising the levels to be allowed to mentor (i agree, btw); and i was thinking that it would make the process seem a bit more cohesive if the mentor had the required levels specifically in the skill that the disciple is working towards graduating from.( may even help cut down on multi's in the case of the 3-graduation thing.) any thoughts?

SEPARATE FL'S !!!! :yay:
or even a reasonable extension of the current one would be nice.
and either of those wold be insanely easy to implement.:cool:

Would like to have more increace after completed a disc :/

the mentor had the required levels specifically in the skill that the disciple is working towards graduating from.( may even help cut down on multi's in the case of the 3-graduation thing.) any thoughts?
hard to decide as newcomer to what they do rather ;)

a couple of ppl went from mining to hunting, or even from hunting to crafting (1 ^^) during the discipleship

i think that would limit the sytem too much and take quite much freedom away

I'm surprised they haven't yet introduced L items into the mentor gifts. They should make slightly improved mentor versions of some of the existing L items and drop these, with varying TTs, and add these to the mentoring 'loot pool'.

Given the choice between a 50 PED Korss H380 (L) Mentor Edition, or a Freand Alpha ME that isn't even worth TTing, I know which I'd rather have.

Give the mentor the ability to choose their profession and get an ME item that is good for THAT profession?

Give the mentor the ability to choose their profession and get an ME item that is good for THAT profession?
lol

my main skill is longblades, second rifle, than handgun :p

i never got a LB ME, just some rifles, and basically pistols :p

Back