Michael Jackson Video Game Announced - New York Times (blog)

The purpose of Planet Michael is to attract attention. Period. You can love or hate the man. He's controversial. That's the point no? It gets people talking. He's also a global icon. By having Michael, it will open up many many other possibilities in terms of securing IP with movie studios for SEE. Every studio have their "stars". Universal with their Frankenstein, Wolfman, Mummies, etc. Paramount with Star Trek. Columbia/Sony with Spiderman, MIB, etc..

One way to look at it is this. Calypso is like a unique store. It has its loyal followers. However, it's a free-standing store with nothing else around it. You will have people that come to shop at it. Others will never even visit it. Next comes Rocktropia. It sets up shop next to Calypso. However, its customers are different from Calypso customers. Therefore most stick to their store. A few may visit the other store. Now imagine a mall. A mall with 50 different stores. Each unique. Some offer similar products. All of a sudden it's a destination. People come to "SHOP" the MALL not the individual stores. All will have their favorites. However, since they are at the mall, most will shop around. 200 Peds deposited into Calypso's economy. Multiply that by 1 million casual customers from the other 49 shops. 5% of them make Calypso their regular monthly stop. 50,000 new users, 200 peds a month. Is this getting through to the naysayers at all? Are the people who are so against this understanding this at all??? Your beloved Calypso will always be true to its core values. It is just now part of a greater collective. By being part of the greater collective, each unique entity will benefit when the whole collective thrives.

sigh...sadly, I know...let the flaming begin...who will post the first sarcastic remark after this post? anyone?

You may love or hate the dead guy ..I frankly don't care.
What I don't understand is MA granting a licence to a planet that will have some crossover music themes. Also more importantly to me, green lighting something I don't believe will be a viable concern , are really enough hardcore online gamers/gambling MJ fans ? Ultimately if it is licenced & launched & fails, it will have a negative impact the whole universe.

What I don't understand is MA granting a licence to a planet that will have some crossover music themes. Also more importantly to me, green lighting something I don't believe will be a viable concern , are really enough hardcore online gamers/gambling MJ fans ? Ultimately if it is licenced & launched & fails, it will have a negative impact the whole universe.

Ultimately any failed planet would reflect negatively. However, you're talking about not just a game, but a medium where arguably the most fans of any pop star ever can meet virtually and share ideas and express themselves. That level of suscriber base would dwarf FPC's current group.

My guess is Planet MJ has much better chance at longevity than Rocktropia, with all due respect and best wishes to Mr. Jacobs. Design and implementation for PMJ will be the key to success.

Ultimately any failed planet would reflect negatively. However, you're talking about not just a game, but a medium where arguably the most fans of any pop star ever can meet virtually and share ideas and express themselves. That level of suscriber base would dwarf FPC's current group.

My guess is Planet MJ has much better chance at longevity than Rocktropia, with all due respect and best wishes to Mr. Jacobs. Design and implementation for PMJ will be the key to success.

Well Rocktropia has Motorhead atm and might draw in more artists in due time.

as much as this really does not fit the old PE and most of probally think MA have lost there way, MA have setup new planet system to help encourage more peds into the game as much as most of these new planet wont fit in.

Last edited:
Interesting, funny, worrying, thought provoking (in an intelectual way), ummmmm dare i say potentially an amazing impact on EU in general be it good or bad.... The guy was an outstanding talent with a huge following HUGE.

Indeed, he has quite a following in Japan, so I've heard. Seriously, do we have ANY Asian players here? I don't think I've heard of any... Maybe we need to meet our quota of people from the East, and this is the way to do it. :laugh:

What's interesting about Planet Michael is that it seems to have a completely different approach to Calypso or Rocktropia. It appears to be trying to do something different and will appeal to a different audience, not the type of gamer that EU currently attracts.

We have to get beyond this idea that EU is all about MMO-style gaming. I think the whole point of the planet concept is to broaden that.

One of the big problems with Rocktropia is that it's too close to what we already had. The most successful planets will be the ones that avoid that.

That said, I'm not at all convinced that Planet Michael will attract many long-term customers to EU - people might want to take a look and mess around for a few days, but how many people will really want to live their virtual lives on a Michael Jackson themed planet for months or years?

That said, I'm not at all convinced that Planet Michael will attract many long-term customers to EU - people might want to take a look and mess around for a few days, but how many people will really want to live their virtual lives on a Michael Jackson themed planet for months or years?

Didn't think of that, but that's a good point. I'm sure there are a few people in the world who could live in an MJ theme park for an eternity, but I'm sure that it's a small contingent.

What's interesting about Planet Michael is that it seems to have a completely different approach to Calypso or Rocktropia. It appears to be trying to do something different and will appeal to a different audience, not the type of gamer that EU currently attracts.

We have to get beyond this idea that EU is all about MMO-style gaming. I think the whole point of the planet concept is to broaden that.

One of the big problems with Rocktropia is that it's too close to what we already had. The most successful planets will be the ones that avoid that.

I do understand that they have said the approach to gameplay will be different from we have already but the bottom is if connected to the EU it will have the same limitations. It's not going to be a Moonwalking game or a virtual Never Never land tour. My biggest concern is that it won't last as a novelty. Like you said Rocktropia isn't different enough from FPC but I believe it will evolve over time in the same way PE did.

As for the different demographic, yes his maybe music is very popular but listen to it in a PC game doesn't seems the most natural environment. However to play the game you going need a reasonably good PC( gamer specs & no Mac users), overkill when you get when you can get everything downloaded to your phone/mobile device these days.

Wonder how come it doesn`t say in the press releases that Studio Neverdie is working on it. Hmm they`re working on what? 3 planets atm. Sound like tough job to manage, but I guess they have 3X more employees than FPC.

I find it sick, but thats just my oppinion.
Older than 13?:eek::confused::scratch2:
So the targeted group here are the abused kids that were payed millions of compensation?

Where's Jarvis Cocker when you need him

I find it sick, but thats just my oppinion.
Older than 13?
I believe the EULA already states an age requirement of 13, with parental permission.

I have read all the posts and most people here have interesting concerns/ point of views. So far its has been a very good discusion! :yay:

The only thing I will add here is that it seems to be getting around in the media!! :cool: This to me seems to be a "Good Thing" ;)

Planet Michael have 1,863 "likes" on Facebook, Planet Calypso 512. :silly2:

Jesus Michael Jackson planet????

Really WTF? I mean may he rest in peace and the music was kind of cool and all but.

MICHAEL JACKSON PLANET!!!? Like we are gonna be dancing all around in a very gay (happy) environment. Is that supposed to be fun?

Sounds creppy :confused:

Guess Barbie planet wasn't so far fetched huh? :laugh:

Wonder how come it doesn`t say in the press releases that Studio Neverdie is working on it. Hmm they`re working on what? 3 planets atm. Sound like tough job to manage, but I guess they have 3X more employees than FPC.

Oops... missed/forgot the part about them working with the Jacobs machine. Nevermind.

This one is SEE, not Neverdie Studios.

Oops... missed/forgot the part about them working with the Jacobs machine. Nevermind.

This one is SEE, not Neverdie Studios.

Nope. SEE hired Neverdie Studios to design their planets, just like David Post hired `em for Next Island. They`ve said so in an interview few months back.

You can even tell by that Micheal Jackson planet logo btw.

some written info on the subject http://www.neverdie.com/entropia-universe/1952-see-virtual-worlds-entropia-universe-join-forces.html

Well personally I just hope that "Planet Michael" will bring some content to this "Universe"...as there is none at all atm...

Back