MindArk Buys Back Calypso Land Deeds

Serica, aren't you the News Editor in the revived PCF Newsroom? It seems like something you should disclose and not hide to be accurate. You have a stake in getting news early, which means of course you are against someone else doing it. Unfortunately you chose to attack the person who could give that news to you and hide your stake in the matter. That hardly seems like a great move. I wish you the best of luck in your new position though and please do keep an eye on PR Newswire for the latest news.

Any comment on how you are the WORST PR team ever?
There are millions of more important PR issues than this. Yet you ignore them all.

Basically what I am asking is, do you do it on purpose? Or is it simply incompetence? Or does MA just screw you over by not letting you do your job?

Serica, aren't you the News Editor in the revived PCF Newsroom? It seems like something you should disclose and not hide to be accurate. You have a stake in getting news early, which means of course you are against someone else doing it. Unfortunately you chose to attack the person who could give that news to you and hide your stake in the matter. That hardly seems like a great move. I wish you the best of luck in your new position though and please do keep an eye on PR Newswire for the latest news.

i would say its rather poor as a PR agent you have chosen to break cover to defend your poor decision to give one player early access, while an altogether more substantial public relations disaster falls around us. the fact that you felt it necessary to comment on this MS9 situation while there is no official comment on the main news, tells us a great deal about MA and your operations.

It's not hidden, it's posted on the forum here for any member to see: Please welcome the new PCF Newsroom Staff!
I've not suggested that this forum get the news any earlier than is posted on the MindArk websites, where it is accessed by the 'Bertha Bot' newsfeeds here - just as other forums have their newsfeed pickups. It is these newsfeeds used to create the articles published on the forum's front page, so I'm not asking for any privileged access to information that would be unavailable to any other player.

I've known and respected MS9's work for a number of years, and this is certainly no personal issue. I would hold the same views regardless of who the player was, or whether or not I'd volunteered to coordinate the front page articles here.

IMHO, giving pre-publication access to privileged market-sensitive information to ANY individual player is a serious ethical/equity issue.

why anyone dumps their deeds for 1160 in panic is mindboggling , its not like Ma released some profit warning or something .

If you can be bothered then selling at 1160 or even 1250 'now', and buying them back at 1150 might be considered worthwhile effort by many. That assumes availability of course to get them at that price.

If many people think along those lines, it could panic others to dump at any price, at worst undermining the entire confidence in the market.

......., giving pre-publication access to privileged market-sensitive information to ANY individual player is a serious ethical/equity issue.

Indeed. If this was real regulated stock, someone would need to explain themselves.

I really wish MA wouldn't use US dollar amounts when talking about the costs and payouts associated with these CLDs. It's far too misleading. Especially since distributing these peds does absolutely nothing to MA's top or bottom line.

If many people think along those lines, it could panic others to dump at any price, at worst undermining the entire confidence in the market.

If many people think - it's not EU, it's something different.

Just example: recently, I listed some Cobalt at AH, and saw interesting thing - there was few stable 128% positions and above, and - some Cobalt _Stones_ for... 120%. Not much, 40 ped or so. Orders was at 119%+ at that moment. Well, I got those stones, refined them, added to my ingots and sold them for 128%.

Fun part? Those stones was ~8 hours at AH.

If many people think - it's not EU, it's something different.

Just example: recently, I listed some Cobalt at AH, and saw interesting thing - there was few stable 128% positions and above, and - some Cobalt _Stones_ for... 120%. Not much, 40 ped or so. Orders was at 119%+ at that moment. Well, I got those stones, refined them, added to my ingots and sold them for 128%.

Fun part? Those stones was ~8 hours at AH.

hee,hee I often buy wool thread (refined), cheaper than thin wool (un-refined) for making textures.
Yeah some of the orders are strange at times too for refined and unrefined on alot of mats.

You did well gz.

Rick

This is a disgraceful response. If you cant handle the pressure of a forum filled with high octane members then stay out, dont interject with rubbish like this. Not neccessary, - rep.

This is a disgraceful response. If you cant handle the pressure of a forum filled with high octane members then stay out, dont interject with rubbish like this. Not neccessary, - rep.

I was so shocked to read that from an offical, that I was lost for words. Especially considering the news team have only been formed in the last few days, and we are game participants.

I think Sercia does an amazing job, not just moderating, but editor too, RL job and playing time...plus God knows what else she needs to fit into her day.

I guess the old culture still remains on some levels.

Dissapointed.:mad:

Rick

The scariest thing about this whole thing is that deeds have no real value just like apartments - If MA crashed tomorrow they would not be responsible for any "so called ped value". MA claims you would receive the tt value of your items, so in that issue you would theoretically have some claim against MA's equity but in the case of cld's and apartments they have no value so no equity value exists..

My god ive never seen such a massive group of whiners in one area. You love the system when it pays you, yet complain about it when it doesn't. How can you expect to make money all the time, but never to lose it? Please direct me to one place in a FREE market where thats possible? And how do people like rickengland who lost money from this news respond? By crushing anything related to Mindark . You were "shocked" when you read the response by tractionPR... omg did it take your breath away, my god, i hope you didnt fall out of your chair. Let us all pray for you to recover.

What a joke, all of you grow up, you take your investments with the risks assosciated with it. Those who invest in these clds in a large number already know these types of things happen. All of you crying about it are only showing your inability to take a number of risk factors into consideration before making an investment.

Heres a tissue. :cool:

ps if there are any issues in spelling correct them in a trollish fashion. thx

If MA crashed tomorrow they would not be responsible for any "so called ped value". MA claims you would receive the tt value of your items, so in that issue you would theoretically have some claim against MA's equity but in the case of cld's and apartments they have no value so no equity value exists..

Actually, there is no claim to guarantee the tt value of your items. That belief is falsely reinforced by the players. No where does MA state that we have any claim to any tt value, with the exception of the 6 month deposit rule, but that does not apply in all cases. In fact, in most cases that rule would not apply.

Financially speaking, we have no claim to ANY of their assets. One might make the case that MA misled us to believe that our ped value was backed by some form of MA's assets like a bank would, but that would have to be decided through litigation.

Cant say this news makes me scream 'The sky is falling'

Some people will just snap them up at listed price, and then sell them back at 1300 ped or so when they have all sold, making a few bob or 2.

Those moaning about MU, that is player mu, if you sell your deeds at 1001, you've made a profit, if you brought them at 1000, plus what you have had generated from them.

I've got 9 deeds, small measly amount, reason I dont have more is because the damned players are greedy, buying them all at 1k, and selling for 1200-1300, 2 minutes later.

My only hope is that MA add some throughout the day (weeks), and not all at once, so as not to let the resellers take all the profits again.

I was so shocked to read that from an offical, that I was lost for words. Especially considering the news team have only been formed in the last few days, and we are game participants.

I think Sercia does an amazing job, not just moderating, but editor too, RL job and playing time...plus God knows what else she needs to fit into her day.

I guess the old culture still remains on some levels.

Dissapointed.:mad:

Rick

Rick,

I do want to understand why you are so angry, along with Theron. From my point of view what I have seen is someone who does not understand what I do, or even how basic journalism is performed in the world, comment on my ethics while hiding her own agenda. While I am willing to let people comment on other issues they don't understand (such as why the PR guy isn't answering questions about MindArk's economic strategy) I must draw the line somewhere. I would think a forum of "high-octane" people would understand this. Giving stories out early to trustsed news sources is something agencies have done since the 1800's and is not a breach in any form. Should MS9 use this information for her own economic gain in the game world the relationship would be stopped instantly. However she has not done that and has proven herself a hard worker with a penchant for real news. Serica can work as hard as she likes, I appreciate a person who does, but that does not give her to right to throw out accusations without being answered. Now can you please explain why I am not allowed to defend myself, why this is shocking or a poor post. Especially considering the posts that have been sent to me today....

I just wish there was some clarification from MA on how this will all take place!

Seems pretty strange to me but after knowing MA for damn near 10 years it should not really be a surprise!! :D

perhaps the newest folks in charge of Mindark cares more about giving all avatars equal treatment instead of treating some 'more fair' than others as they have done in the past so many times?...

equal treatment?? (read my signature)
i didn't hear that MA offered this option to any other CLD holders... and yet this is what i thought when i saw topic of this thread...

you kidding, right?
read posts where Serica puts together crew fro news...

your tone suggests that you have real close ties with mindstar and favour her over the rest of community.

add to that that you created account 3 years ago, have 4 post total, posted only 1 (!) oft them in whole 3 years and 3 post in this thread advocating mindstar...

so what is your real relation with mindstar and what is your agenda in protecting her?

why not post news on MA website instead minstar's one???

so if you are responsible person for PR for game, i find your actions very shady to say the least

TractionPR,

You may not be aware, but there is a long history on this forum of the view that, to paraphrase George Orwell - 'All players are equal, but some are more equal than others'.

To my recollection, MS9 has herself been at the forefront of those upholding the need for the integrity of player equality to information, particularly when it came to the issue of planet partners continuing to use private avatars rather than public ones.
And during the time that she was contractually engaged by Planet Cyrene, her personal avatar was quite properly mothballed and she used an 'official avatar' with all the limitations that implies.
When that relationship ended, her personal avatar was reinstated in the game, and I have seen nothing to suggest that does not remain the case.

I have no doubt that she was delighted to be offered exclusive pre-publication access to MindArk and Planet Calypso press releases for publication on her personal website. Who wouldn't be?
However, given her long experience in the game and on this and other forums, she must also have been aware of how that exclusive access to information in advance of all other players would be viewed.

Perhaps that will give you some perspective on my concern that, if left unaddressed, this state of affairs will undermine player trust in MindArk and Planet Calypso. And you should be aware that in this or any other game with a real cash economy, such trust is implicitly vital.

If there is some declaration by MS9 that I've missed on this, or any other site, to the effect that she - and all the collaborators on her site - have ceased active participation in the game, and their avatars mothballed, then naturally I withdraw all objection to her having this period of exclusive publication. A link to that declaration would be appreciated for confirmation.

Incidentally - I've never pretended to be a journalist, or writer of any sort. In offering to manage the newsteam process here, I was clear that I was offering my skills in facilitation and organisation, not writing.

Rick,

I do want to understand why you are so angry, along with Theron. From my point of view what I have seen is someone who does not understand what I do, or even how basic journalism is performed in the world, comment on my ethics while hiding her own agenda. While I am willing to let people comment on other issues they don't understand (such as why the PR guy isn't answering questions about MindArk's economic strategy) I must draw the line somewhere. I would think a forum of "high-octane" people would understand this. Giving stories out early to trustsed news sources is something agencies have done since the 1800's and is not a breach in any form. Should MS9 use this information for her own economic gain in the game world the relationship would be stopped instantly. However she has not done that and has proven herself a hard worker with a penchant for real news. Serica can work as hard as she likes, I appreciate a person who does, but that does not give her to right to throw out accusations without being answered. Now can you please explain why I am not allowed to defend myself, why this is shocking or a poor post. Especially considering the posts that have been sent to me today....

Are you the new Marco? Hell of a way to introduce yourself to the community, lol. Perhaps we don't understand what you do since you never have said exactly what you do do, or if you did, it got misinterpreted somewhere?

While it's true, giving out stories is something some companies have done and do for years, many of those are not related to real cash economies, virtual worlds, and what some might perceive as "insider information" or "insider trading" type info.

It is nice that you like hard work. I think we all do. Would be nice if some PR folks would start doing hard work and get that blasted ad campaign some more teeth than it has had up til now with silly logos, some of which could be classified as sexists (possibly pissing off potentially half of the folks you should be bringing in to the game if your really do want to enter the worlds of tablet gaming and casual gaming.)
{removed}

{removed off-topic discussion}

Last edited by a moderator:
Mod's Note:
I'd ask members to not direct personal insults or unnecessarily inflammatory remarks at TractionPR or any other member of this forum.
Please be mindful of Rule 2.2, and make your remarks constructive with common courtesy, politeness and respect for fellow members and forum staff.

Sounds more to me like the anonymous "investor" is non-existent, and a more plausible scenario is that MA created 5,000 more CLD's to be sold. Not a bad way to make some more money, if you ask me.

Well, since you asked...{removed}

My personal opinions:

Yes, opinions with an "S", because there's so much to cover here.

First off, I'd like to thank MA (Planet Calypso Division) for their openness about this transaction. I see them being a lot more open with their actions, and I appreciate this a lot. Personally I am amazed to see this, as I've never before known them to buy back any ingame item for more than TT value.

I can only surmise that this was part of some agreement done either as an option agreed to when the initial 25k(?) was sold, or some agreement made after the fact. In any case, gratz to the seller. Many compare this to a company buy back of stock. I can see that point of view.

The main opposition seems to be the buy back price. Since it is/was below current auction values of 1,300 ped/CLD, many seem to be panicking, thinking their share prices are going to drop long term. Had it been at the 1,300 price, would folks be more worried or less? I bet more, because than folks would have complained that CLDs should now never drop below that price, or Ma should be forced to buy them back just as they did here.

Please recall why the prices of CLDs are so high to begin with: They are the only source of passive revenue within this Universe, short of a mining-only land area. The price of CLDs (as with everything ingame) will always fluctuate, but this factor will make sure the price remains fairly high.

For those that bought their CLDs below 1150 each, you still make profit if you sell today. And regardless of what you paid, the market price on CLDs mean n-o-t-h-i-n-g, unless you had intentions of selling within the next 4-10 days. In which case, you simply adjust your plans and hold (again enjoying the weekly dividends) until the market is back to where you are happy selling again, losing those dividends.

Now, as for MS9 getting the news before official release:

For full disclosure, MS9 and I are friends. We also had serious arguments over previous actions taken by her. However case was while she was using this forum to market a competing forum. That issue is dead and buried now, but it does bear similarities to this case, and I want to explain very clearly why I support MS9 this time.

In this case, as I understand things, MS9, MA and 711 have reached arrangements allowing her to post official news to this forum. Thus 711 creating a specific area section her. It's been done before, for news writers, LA owners, etc. and will be done again, I hope.

I personally do not have a problem with her being part of an official news distribution pipeline. Had her role been made public on its own, (Thread Title: MS9 labeled as official news distribution) I bet folks would have had no real issue of it after the one-hour lead time was understood.

However, yes, it would have been nice to have been made aware of this fact in some more official statement.

From my point of view what I have seen is someone who does not understand what I do, or even how basic journalism is performed in the world, comment on my ethics while hiding her own agenda.

I believe TractionPR, that you are incorrect and unfair on this. Serica has only recently (2 days ago?) been announced to head the newly formed PCF news staff. And she has not tried to "hide" her standing on that level in any way shape for form.

If you read her misgivings, it is not that someone else is getting "the scoop" on her, but the concern that an ingame player has access to potentially profitable material before it's made public.

However, the fact she only has one hour lead, is not the only source contacted, plus your promise that ties would be severed upon learning of dubious transactions personally reassures me. With the way this community is, if MS9 were to place time-bombed items on auction within that time difference, or otherwise try to sell it ingame, it would be found out, recorded and reported almost instantly. I have no fear of this occurring.

I look forward to Serica's PCF news team writing up great reports about this and other ingame activities. I'll bet the writers have already started considering some great angles and little thought of, but well needed concepts to write from.

If I recall correctly, last year there was a settlement for some legal dispute, which was attributed to the SDS deal which fell through. Pretty much around the same time, the big investor announcement popped up.
Source please.

It simply undermines trust to company behind this game.
Um actually, as far as I'm aware, this is the first and only time Ma have bought back an item from within their own game for more than TT value. When has that ever happened before?

The issue is based on the community of PCF expecting to hear first, only fair I think.
As I understand it, MA sends news one hour before making it public to MS9 and other news sources. She places on her site and then here on PCF, in fact placing it on this forum even faster than before it's actually been "officially released".

However, in the end I think Blackhawk said it best.
We could have never known that this ever happened from official sources unless they would have told us. Now we know.
They are trying to be more open about things. We can not jump down their throats every time that happens.

Last edited:

:eyecrazy:

Mate!? <removed>

I like ms9 all regards and graces to her, but this is kinda stupid.. I have to lurk around on like 5 differnt sites looking for EU related news (alot of which SHOULD reach everyone, yet only reaches a small %) Link the latest on my client loader please.

We pay you guys dont we!?

Sooooo....the issue has become everyone going nuts because a player has a personal connection with someone connected to MA?? No shit?? :jawdrop:

If this is "news" to you you have'nt been paying attention through the years....:laugh:

Sure sucks when it directly affects you directly though...:rolleyes:

LOL till I puke...:laugh:

Anyway, I'll go back to reading over there out of the way and laughing my ass off. ;)

Thank you PCF...you never ever dissapoint...:laugh:

:popcorn:

after seeing this I am glad I stopped being a investor and sold all my cld last month. Maybe they need to trade so they can fund mine and others withdrawd. submitted sept. 28th still pending. guess I just go back to playing small ball for fun and kinda humorously laughing at the situation seeing i sold my cld at a decent time. Just hope they dont go broke before I get my withdraw will help on a house down payment nicely.

Personally I am amazed to see this, as I've never before known them to buy back any ingame item for more than TT value.
Main examples I can think of immediately when it's happened before was personal revives being taken out of the game with a big buyout and when they got rid of the fake in game stock market thingy.

if MA does go bankrupt, TT value is what you might get back, and you might be lucky to get even that... not saying that will happen... just saying it's all a risk.

According to the ToU, it seems the most a player would get back is the last 6 months of deposits:

MINDARK'S LIABILITY TOWARDS YOU SHALL, IF ACKNOWLEDGED, IN EACH INCIDENCE BE LIMITED TO NO MORE THAN THE TOTAL AMOUNT TRANSFERRED INTO THE INVOLVED ACCOUNT BY SAID PARTICIPANT UNDER SIX MONTHS PERIOD PRIOR TO THE INCIDENT.

Back