News: MindArk Signs Deal for Unreal Engine 5 - PRNewswire

STOCKHOLM, June 30, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- MindArk and Epic Games have finalized a deal to use Unreal Engine 5™ for the development of Entropia Universe, the world's longest-running metaverse. Entropia Universe's unique real-cash economy, combined with Unreal Engine 5's amazing graphics and development tools will keep Entropia Universe positioned as the true metaverse of the future, says Henrik Nel, CEO of MindArk PE AB.

MindArk is the Sweden-based developer of Entropia Universe, the groundbreaking and world record-setting real-cash economy MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game), running continuously since 2003.

The partnership with Epic Games will enable MindArk to leverage Unreal Engine 5 as a powerful platform for the future development of Entropia Universe. Entropia Universe's real-cash economy had over $450 million in transactions in 2020.Migrating to Unreal Engine 5 will be the third graphics engine update in the astonishing 20-year history of Entropia Universe.

Unreal Engine 5 will allow MindArk's team to significantly improve and optimize the graphics quality of Entropia Universe, deliver high-quality content updates to participants more quickly, and offer the possibility of creating Entropia Universe clients for a wider array of platforms in the future.

The Unreal Engine 5 platform enables MindArk to secure the future of Entropia Universe as a bleeding-edge virtual world destination for many years to come and to continue to pioneer development of the world's leading real-cash economy MMORPG.

– We have been working closely with Epic Games to finalize the special agreement between our two companies, and the deal ensures availability of the latest cutting-edge graphics and development tools that will enable Entropia Universe to continue pushing the boundaries of the open world massively multiplayer online genre, says David Simmonds, Chairman of MindArk PE AB.

The Epic Games Store currently boasts more than 160 million PC gamers. The console market, with over 143 million current-generation consoles sold to date, along with the worldwide mobile market of 2.2 billion gamers represent vast new market segments that can potentially be tapped via Unreal Engine 5.

The global games industry revenue for 2020 was $174.9 billion according to Newzoo (October 2020), and is expected to reach $196 billion by 2022.

About MindArk PE AB

MindArk is an independent game development company dedicated to establishing the metaverse of the future by converging online games, virtual worlds, and social platforms. The company is based in Gothenburg, Sweden, and has approximately 60 employees.

MindArk is best known for developing and continuously updating the award-winning massively-multiplayer online game Entropia Universe. Building on nearly two decades of experience in managing virtual worlds, MindArk continues to expand its technology and development into the virtual reality space.

More information about MindArk can be found at https://www.mindark.com

About Entropia Universe

Entropia Universe is one of the world's leading open-world games, with over four million registered accounts since its launch in 2003. In the game's virtual world, participants create a digital avatar and engage in a multitude of virtual activities. Entropia Universe is one of only a few online worlds featuring a trading system with currency that can be exchanged for real-world money.

MindArk has also forged partnerships with multiple companies around the world who each develop custom content for Entropia Universe, in the form of distinct planets with unique themes and market their planets to specific audiences in Asia, Oceania, the Middle East and North America. Each partner planet features a unique experience that is accessible to participants via space travel within Entropia Universe.

About Unreal Engine

See information about Unreal Engine at https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/nextgen

I'm thrilled. I'm a Epic fanboy since original Unreal, and UE5 looks like a magnificent engine. Good luck!

Sounds amazing on paper. But how long will it take for them to convert everything to the new engine? I remember many features took years to get re-added back in cryengine VU. Also a shit ton of bugs. What else is gonna be put aside for them to implement this? No other content in years?

I personally think they should have different priorities. But clearly they want fancy new graphics and UI in order to attract new players. We shall see how this will pan out and if it will have the sort of impact they are expecting.

This is great news! I'm excited! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a tad bit nervous ? ?

UE5 looks gorgeous! I can't think of a better engine to migrate to, the support and future proof probability of working with Unreal is a smart move. What's the timeline here?

Congrats on striking the deal with Epic! This is awesome, guys ?

The effect of going to CE2 was here for years. Many features missing etc. People dont play EU for graphics. They should concentrate more on the economy, on the useless items and bps, on dead parts of the game. Redesigning cities, textures, malls etc. Adding features to societies... So much to focus on, so many things that could make this game better. Graphics are not it :)

Nice and stuff like others siad, but have we reached the best out of the current CryEngine's power? Aren't there more updates to it and we perhaps haven't used much of its source?

anyway. we talking about few years for this to happen if at all it will.
Hopefully they wont get bankrupted because of this upgrade ^^

didnt CLDs come right after the CE upgrade to fill in the bag? Forgot the timeline there

Last edited:
There you go, the calls have been heard. I honestly thought an engine upgrade might not come before true raytracing has reached full market penetration. Guess it won't be so problematic anymore with better forward compatibility of assets. If this is the last time they have to be transformed, then that's cool. So is the possibility of multiplatform support.

My only fear is whether the deal with Epic will restrict us in any way, like having to run their launcher or some such. I hope a standalone client can be maintained (like is the case with Elite). Is it possible to answer this officially at the current juncture?

Best wishes and let's all keep our fingers crossed for the development! (y)

VERY NICE....subscribin the thread

well, I was getting fed up of that framework net whatsit - the 95% thing - forcing itself every Tuesday after 'maintenance' and a reload of icons, but at least EU runs.
Normally I'm neither optimist nor pessimist, just try to be a realist. With MA, the default is heavily weighted, however...
A timeline - even vague - would be something - and a word or two on new specs and directly carried-over content.
(Maybe someone knows lowest possible specs for UE5 and lowest currently achievable wattage - but I doubt it will be as low as "potato using 12 Watts of power...")

This is exciting news! I'm very curious to sew how EU would change under UE5, but I'm thinking we're not going to see this any time soon. For me personally EU was never about graphics though, and afaik many people play on old computers, so make sure to keep safe mode available :p

Does this mean that EU will be available in the Epic store in the future, the message seems to be hinting at it, but it's not entirely clear.

This is exciting news! I'm very curious to sew how EU would change under UE5, but I'm thinking we're not going to see this any time soon. For me personally EU was never about graphics though, and afaik many people play on old computers, so make sure to keep safe mode available :p

Does this mean that EU will be available in the Epic store in the future, the message seems to be hinting at it, but it's not entirely clear.
following this post : https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...niverse-unreal-engine-5-migration-faq.282458/
work has already started

Q: When does MindArk plan on migrating Entropia Universe over to Unreal Engine 5?
A: Development of the Unreal Engine 5 version of Entropia Universe is already underway. However, no target release date has yet been determined or announced. Keep an eye out for future announcements on the Entropia Universe official website.

Nice and stuff like others siad, but have we reached the best out of the current CryEngine's power? Aren't there more updates to it and we perhaps haven't used much of its source?

anyway. we talking about few years for this to happen if at all it will.
Hopefully they wont get bankrupted because of this upgrade ^^

didnt CLDs come right after the CE upgrade to fill in the bag? Forgot the timeline there
Well, CE is kinda dead, whereas UE has a bright future. From a support perspective I'm sure that makes UE much more attractive.

I've said this a couple of times, they should really really switch to unreal, glad they listened :p
There are a crapload of coders they can hire just like that if needed. CryEngine sucks for that! It's going to give a lot of freedom in terms of that.

It's gonna take a few years just like CryEngine change, the Cry update took a little under 2 years. It was anounced in 2007 and the big update was somewhere Q1 2009.

There will be some (a lot) of bumps along the road but I feel like eventually this'll be really really worth it! Good job MA!!!!

Better start getting the piggy bank fatter. It'll probably have to be broken, for a new machine, when this comes out.

Super excited about this. Unreal engine 5 looks amazing, and should hold up for years to come. Also, I could be wrong on this, but I believe there will be many more game developers who are well versed in Unreal Engine, so that could mean a lot for forward progress if they ever decide to bring some new minds on board. I've been playing this game and have been fascinated with the concept for nearly 10 years now. There really is no substitute for the type of experience Entropia brings, and I want it to last many more years. Good luck Mindark and all of my fellow Entropians who love this game!

The guy who suggested an upgrade to UE5 and potentially making entropia public in epic games, to the CEO deserve a promotion.. thats the greatest news of the decade! Good job. Keep it up!

About Entropia Universe

Entropia Universe is one of the world's leading open-world games, with over four million registered accounts since its launch in 2003. I
And with a very very old website. I really hope you're updating that BEFORE even releasing the first sneak peak.

Looking forward to this!

PS Let our thoughts and prayers go to those that have already started suffering because there will be yet some other changes :ROFLMAO:

The effect of going to CE2 was here for years. Many features missing etc. People dont play EU for graphics. They should concentrate more on the economy, on the useless items and bps, on dead parts of the game. Redesigning cities, textures, malls etc. Adding features to societies... So much to focus on, so many things that could make this game better. Graphics are not it :)

THIS POST... IS THE WORDS OF A TRULY SENSIBLE HUMAN:bump:

Back