Mindark's bad game design leads to physical injuries - Loot Boxes

atomicstorm

Slayer
MeLoveYou LongTime FiveDolla
Mindark - it's time to hire some qualified UX designers, irrespective of engine limitations, and fix some serious gameplay problems that leads to the destruction of game devices and inflames physical injuries. Several years ago, I damaged my wrist while playing Entropia, and my love life has never been the same since. (KEK) Jokes aside, the damage is true - and this is while playing with a controller. I cannot imagine what would have happened otherwise.

There are considerable accessibility issues in the game, some of which are alleviated with the F change (since this was accessibility-related). However, there are some serious ones still left in the game.

* Loot Boxes - it takes up to 8 clicks to open 1 box. I have destroyed 3 computer mice thus far opening boxes. I have wrist pain not too long after each box opening session too. Yes, I am aware of holding the enter key. I have taped a pencil down on the enter key while I click.

* FFA tokens - turning them in is a crotch pain.
* Attribute tokens - these missions still exist on Arkadia. Yes, I know you can still right-click them. These missions need to be removed. This is a note to Arkadia.
* Armor plate swaps - need hotkeys to add armor plate to whatever armor is currently equipped.

Some things you have changed for the better - you deserve credit:

* F key - fewer keystrokes, less strain.
* Attribute tokens - right-click to add them all.
* Detach all enhancers button

nvm, seems i missed the 2nd part there :D

* Loot Boxes - it takes up to 8 clicks to open 1 box. I have destroyed 3 computer mice thus far opening boxes. I have wrist pain not too long after each box opening session too. Yes, I am aware of holding the enter key. I have taped a pencil down on the enter key while I click.
Actually takes 2 clicks to open one box... and close it. As in, 2 clicks per box looted, all you have to do is double click on the box in your inventory.

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but if you hold down space as you open it, it skips the animations and closes the loot window for you. So no need to tape a pencil to the enter key :p.. I mean, left hand is always right at the space bar anyway, right?

I find this extremely useful when opening a lot of boxes, it also speeds up the process by like 5x.

Actually takes 2 clicks to open one box... and close it. As in, 2 clicks per box looted, all you have to do is double click on the box in your inventory.

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but if you hold down space as you open it, it skips the animations and closes the loot window for you. So no need to tape a pencil to the enter key :p.. I mean, left hand is always right at the space bar anyway, right?

I find this extremely useful when opening a lot of boxes, it also speeds up the process by like 5x.
The design is: Takes 2 to open the box and 1 for each object inside the box (which can be 5) + 1 for close button = 8.

All the other stuff is miscellaneous and not part of the design but a byproduct of the engine. The design is to click the box and not press any other keys.

If you tape a pencil on the enter key or whatever, then you have 1 hand free. Either way, not very relevant to the main idea of the thread.

On a different note...

You have destroyed 3 mice by opening boxes, because they need 8 clicks per box?

That sounds extremely overexaggerated.

I mean, most mice are designed to last approx 20 million uses.

If you click 7500 times with left click per day, or, almost 1000 boxes per day... .. that's over 7 years of left clicks, and you've already broken 3 of them since boxes were introduced? and this while using the "tape pencil to enter key" method?

Blimey! Your clicker finger must be buffed as fuck man!

I'd say chill on the clicks, no need to smash that button even though most youtubers ask you to "smash that like button"

or simply invest in a mouse that's made to last a while... The Rival 700 gaming mouse has an expectancy of 30 000 000 clicks on left click, so I'd suggest getting that one for opening boxes =)

Note;

I used the same mouse for over 10 years - daily.. I finally replaced it with a Logitech Pro X Superlight

so far, i'm loving this mouse, lit's much easier to click than my old logitech mx518 :D

Mindark - it's time to hire some qualified UX designers, irrespective of engine limitations, and fix some serious gameplay problems that leads to the destruction of game devices and inflames physical injuries. Several years ago, I damaged my wrist while playing Entropia, and my love life has never been the same since. (KEK) Jokes aside, the damage is true - and this is while playing with a controller. I cannot imagine what would have happened otherwise.

There are considerable accessibility issues in the game, some of which are alleviated with the F change (since this was accessibility-related). However, there are some serious ones still left in the game.

* FFA tokens - turning them in is a crotch pain.
* Attribute tokens - these missions still exist on Arkadia. Yes, I know you can still right-click them. These missions need to be removed. This is a note to Arkadia.
* Armor plate swaps - need hotkeys to add armor plate to whatever armor is currently equipped.

Some things you have changed for the better - you deserve credit:

* F key - fewer keystrokes, less strain.
* Attribute tokens - right-click to add them all.
* Detach all enhancers button

FFA Tokens, attribute tokens and armor plate swaps are fucking annoying and I totally agree with you

it's beyond me how they have let this system be in place for so long, without improving QOL of them.... Hope that gets better in UE5, if it doesn't i dunno what to think lol

Last edited:
The design is: Takes 2 to open the box and 1 for each object inside the box (which can be 5) + 1 for close button = 8.

All the other stuff is miscellaneous and not part of the design but a byproduct of the engine. The design is to click the box and not press any other keys.

If you tape a pencil on the enter key or whatever, then you have 1 hand free. Either way, not very relevant to the main idea of the thread.
I understand the point of the thread, which is they are annoying to open in the long run. I've opened a lot of them, I know the pain. The holding down space with my left thumb works quite well, i can even move around while I do this... the thumb is always located on the space bar anyway... By the way, where did MA announce that this is a byproduct of the engine and not a design? either way, i dont think we can get it any lower than 2 clicks hehe

fair enough, tape that enter key and put the hand somewhere else lmao xD

ALxtAH3.jpeg

Last edited:
On a different note...

You have destroyed 3 mice by opening boxes, because they need 8 clicks per box?

That sounds extremely overexaggerated.

I mean, most mice are designed to last approx 20 million uses.

If you click 7500 times with left click per day, or, almost 1000 boxes per day... .. that's over 7 years of left clicks, and you've already broken 3 of them since boxes were introduced? and this while using the "tape pencil to enter key" method?

Blimey! Your clicker finger must be buffed as fuck man!

I'd say chill on the clicks, no need to smash that button even though most youtubers ask you to "smash that like button"

or simply invest in a mouse that's made to last a while... The Rival 700 gaming mouse has an expectancy of 30 000 000 clicks on left click, so I'd suggest getting that one for opening boxes =)

Note;

I used the same mouse for over 10 years - daily.. I finally replaced it with a Logitech Pro X Superlight

so far, i'm loving this mouse, lit's much easier to click than my old logitech mx518 :D

FFA Tokens, attribute tokens and armor plate swaps are fucking annoying and I totally agree with you

it's beyond me how they have let this system be in place for so long, without improving QOL of them.... Hope that gets better in UE5, if it doesn't i dunno what to think lol

Going to assume you did not intend to call me a liar. Yes, thus far in the several years that boxes have existed - 3 mice have been destroyed. No, not all mice are able to withstand 20 million clicks. You assume that every device is created the same and that there are not defects. You quote expensive gaming mice when in reality, the ones destroyed weren't those. Not to mention rapid use creates heat which warps and breaks the cheap plastic made to use electronic devices these days - which is what happened in all cases.

These are all points void of the original reason of this thread.

I understand the point of the thread, which is they are annoying to open in the long run. I've opened a lot of them, I know the pain. The holding down space with my left thumb works quite well, i can even move around while I do this... the thumb is always located on the space bar anyway... By the way, where did MA announce that this is a byproduct of the engine and not a design? either way, i dont think we can get it any lower than 2 clicks hehe
They don't need to announce it. Not everything in life has to be spelled out for it to exist or be true.

In UX design, the basic flow of the experience is the design. In this case, it is mouse clicks. Holding space or enter key is not part of the design and thus can only be a byproduct of the engine. The root of good UX design is simple use and accessibility.

I am a software engineer by trade - now retired.

Last edited:
Going to assume you did not intend to call me a liar. Yes, thus far in the several years that boxes have existed - 3 mice have been destroyed. No, not all mice are able to withstand 20 million clicks. You assume that every device is created the same and that there are not defects. You quote expensive gaming mice when in reality, the ones destroyed weren't those. Not to mention rapid use creates heat which warps and breaks the cheap plastic made to use electronic devices these days - which is what happened in all cases.

These are all points void of the original reason of this thread.

They don't need to announce it. Not everything in life has to be spelled out for it to exist or be true.

In UX design, the basic flow of the experience is the design. In this case, it is mouse clicks. Holding space or enter key is not part of the design and thus can only be a byproduct of the engine. The root of good UX design is simple use and accessibility.

I am a software engineer by trade - now retired.

You're telling me you're clicking that mouse so rapidly that you create enough heat to go above the glass transition temperature of your mouse? which for a normal mouse, made from ABS, is 104 celcius?

i am a polymer machine adjuster by trade - not retired. Injection moulding to be exact... which is how we make the plastic components for mice and many other things around you.

I just call bullshit when I see it.

You bought 3x (and i assume 4, since 3 broke) cheap mice, that breaks after usage and you blame MA's loot box opening system for it.

I honestly can smell something fishy here.... and trust me, its not the loot boxes fault 3 mice of yours has died while opening boxes.

You even go as far as claiming that MA's box opening system(amongst others, I mean.. how many tokens do you actually have???) is causing physical injuries?? I am astounded! I wonder how this is even possible? Maybe MA should remove all clicking from the game? Maybe offer us some sort of... scripts... that clicks for us? So we dont need to interact at all any more?

oh.. wait... nvm.

I know some of the systems are outdated but man, come on... physical injuries, broken mice...

Are you sure you're not hitting the mouse hard enough to break both the mouse and yourself?

I wish you future luck clicking your mice, I hope you won't sustain any more physical injuries from opening boxes/turning in tokens or break any more hardware from excessive clicking and temperatures reached from said activity.

Imagine if you were depositing some REAL dosh though. 80 boxes might take you a little bit. What about hundreds of boxes?

How many women’s worlds do you blow with that mice melting finger of yours? I bet they’re lined up at the door.

Buy a new wrist.

hire someone to play the game for you lul

With boxes limit raised to 5000. Allow us to open as many boxes as we want in one action. Right click open box (specify amount, max 5k) boom. Each box will be automatically open in a way that won't cause server lag (around same speed as manually opening them). Also an option to hide opening boxes UI so you can keep doing other stuff without interruption. Also for the love of god automatically restack every pill you loot, and UA from boxes. Same when looting boxes, there's no reason in a 2022 game to have to manually restack every box you loot.

Let boxes be opened with craft terminals.
All needed codes already exist:

Ingredient #1 Box + Ingredient #2 Key = Craft/Loot event
Then it is just receip number 3000 of 2999.

Mindark's bad game design leads to physical injuries - Loot Boxes​

Seriously?
Is it April fools day already? Is my calendar off? :unsure:

No idea about this one but talking of accessibility issues, I've asked several times for MA to fix the text colour issues in chat on avatar names. I've even PM'd @My|MindArk the support ticket and asked her to raise see if it can get some love. The support ticket even details exactly what numbers need changing and what they need changing to. Literally a 2 minute change.

But y'know... nothing.

Wistrel

You can open loot boxes by pressing unlock and spamming space, and it might not be best to open all boxes at once, maybe like 5-10 at the time and wait for some time, as rings seem to come in loot waves, so i thought you have best chances to hit a ring wave if you open a few, and wait, rather than opening em all at once.

I don’t think anyone would complain about someone using a simple autoclick keybind (hold space, auto click every second) if you have a bunch of boxes to open.

I would love an “open all” feature though instead of having to spam click for 30 mins straight.

Have you ever tryed to open boxes with Space key?

Best way is to open them through the Mindark website. Less clicks and faster animation. Yeah I did open 3k of them few weeks back and it can take you many hours but my mouse did hold on!

You can open loot boxes by pressing unlock and spamming space, and it might not be best to open all boxes at once, maybe like 5-10 at the time and wait for some time, as rings seem to come in loot waves, so i thought you have best chances to hit a ring wave if you open a few, and wait, rather than opening em all at once.
I am aware you can do that, but per my post - that's not part of the design. That's a byproduct of the platform.

Hence the overall point of my thread (reiterated again) is to design the loot box system better which may include opening them in batch. I realize they will never do that simply because of "waves" - also a bad design.

Opening up via webshop will cut down 1 click if you are double clicking in game, but spacebar trick won't work, as browsers will just do Page Down upon spacebar click.

Also from what I can tell you can't open them in bulk there either - but that could be an alternative, to make opening via webshop having bulk option.

I dont think its in their interest to make this quick. Hence it wont happen.

The whole point of loot boxes is the delay and anticipation and then payoff of an unknown outcome. I know im not phrazing it like the text books do but you know what I mean, that gambling psychology thing that all loot boxes in every game tap into. Like pulling the lever on a slot machine and then having to wait for those wheels to spin.

Just like shooting a mob, waiting if your probe finds something or that bar for crafting. Text book gambling psychology science thingy w/e. But sure, if it rly takes 6 clicks that might be too annoying, maybe 3 would be cool? But i doubt they will remove a delay.

But if you rly do this withdraw/depo/openingtheory thing and make money with it, im sure you can figure out a way to automate this even better than taping the return key.

Back