Question: Mixing different armour sets

Yedrol

Young
Society
Angels and Devils
Yeshe Yedrol Rangdrol
I have only 1 full set of armour & that's Pixie. I have picked up a couple of pieces of Paladin & shogun in loot. What are the pros & cons of mixing the various sets?

IMHO the biggest con is unpredictability - if you try bigger mobs, the damage you receive can fluctuate a lot. Paladin has more protection than pixie against atrox for example (all 3 melee dmg types). So you can receive 10 dmg at first hit and 40 after that. Those are not real numbers, but just an example. On the first it hits paladin, but on the second it hits pixie part. This can become even more extreme with critical hits, bigger armours, bigger mobs, rare damage types.

Unlike in other MMOs wearing a full set does not give any additional defense or other bonuses.

Thanks Futurama. That's what I was thinking. Just wanted to check that I had it right.

IMHO the biggest con is unpredictability - if you try bigger mobs, the damage you receive can fluctuate a lot. Paladin has more protection than pixie against atrox for example (all 3 melee dmg types). So you can receive 10 dmg at first hit and 40 after that. Those are not real numbers, but just an example. On the first it hits paladin, but on the second it hits pixie part. This can become even more extreme with critical hits, bigger armours, bigger mobs, rare damage types.

Unlike in other MMOs wearing a full set does not give any additional defense or other bonuses.

I agree, assuming you don't care too much about how the armour looks, the only real disadvantage of mixing is the wider range of hits you'll be taking.

Mixing can make a lot of sense - for instance Zombie Footguards L was (maybe still is) a common replacement for Ghost Footguards UL because the footguards were (maybe still are) much more expensive than the rest of the set.

Likewise, for mid-level protection you can do quite well mixing stuff like Tiger L, Jag L, Martial L to get an affordable set that offers fairly consistent protection but is much cheaper than getting a full set of any one of them.

In a recent MA-run event on big warriors I wore a mixture of Bear UL and a few pieces of Hermes L, Eon L that I had lying around in storage. It meant I could take part in the event fairly comfortably, whereas with full Bear I'd have been a very frequent visitor at the revival.

Another mix I like is Cheap Hermes L parts, Eon L footguards and T-Bird L for the rest. It's a pretty cheap combo you can hunt SEG with.

Back