Mob Drop Frequency

kingofaces

Stalker
Tony KingofAces Hans
Did a little searching with nothing obvious, but does anyone know what the drop frequency in mob loot tables is roughly supposed to correspond to? Has there ever been a historical rough consensus on what to call common, uncommon, etc.? Was this maybe buried in Entropia Tracker somewhere back when it used to feed data to the Wiki?

With the ability to track hunting loot a bit better now, maybe it's time to setup some rough ranges? This is just shooting from the hip to give a general idea:

Very often: 100-70%
Often: 70-30%
Common: 30-10%
Uncommon: 10-1%
Rare: 1-0.1%
Extremely Rare: < 0.1%

Someone who actually tracks hunting loot would have a better idea of how to partition things out, and it probably wouldn't need to be that precise either. I also thought I remembered seeing stats on the old wiki for the number of kills per drop that were reported to the wiki too.

I actually thought about this not too long ago as trying to find beat mov for certain loot. I think you're on the right track but rare and extremely rare i think is way smaller % than your guess. Easy to kill 1000x mobs without any of the rare loots, imo. Bump this up and I'll follow the evolution ok this, i think it's great additional information!

I actually thought about this not too long ago as trying to find beat mov for certain loot. I think you're on the right track but rare and extremely rare i think is way smaller % than your guess. Easy to kill 1000x mobs without any of the rare loots, imo. Bump this up and I'll follow the evolution ok this, i think it's great additional information!
Yeah, I know I was definitely just ballparking on the rare categories just for the gist of things. Considering how rare those "rare" drops actually are, something on a logarithmic scale starting at least partway through the list is probably easiest. Specify the often ones that might be 9/10, 5/10, etc., and then maybe start with common/uncommon as whether you expect to see them in 1/10 drops, 1/100, 1/1000, 1/10,000 etc.

i would dare to guess rare is 1 every 100.000 monster
and extremely rare 1 / 1.000.000 monster
add to that the fact that some items are simpli NOT DROPPING
are added in the loot pool by the balancing team (it is reported in many posts)
when they feel some items could be useful to balance
(i recall in 2021 reading of 5 UL weapons dropped)

I'm pretty sure many/most of the loot frequency ranks on the wiki are just an estimation. Tracking all of that for every mob, especially without good automated tracking, is too big a task for such a small community. However, I agree that having clearly defined ranges is better than just what it "feels" like. But yes, maybe the more rare drops should be less often.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure many/most of the loot frequency ranks on the wiki are just an estimation. Tracking all of that for every mob, especially without good automated tracking, is too big a task for such a small community. However, I agree that having clearly defined ranges is better than just what it "feels" like. But yes, maybe the more rare drops should be less often.
Yeah, I mention this now because it looks like we might be able to get more automated tracking in play again. Drops/ped spent probably isn't as good as drops/loot event. At some point, someone/some program is likely going to have to convert drops/loot event to categories like this, so if there's rough agreement, it looks like the link Mathilda gave can be edited with categories changed/added.

Even if things don't get automated, it definitely would help for those of us trying to estimate when entering data in. I can think of quite a few items that definitely don't fit the uncommon category of (likely to drop about every 10000PED spent). I would personally call those uncommon by intuition, but even with regular hunting wouldn't expect to have to cycle that much to loot them.

Back