My quick review on VU10

Henceforth

Stalker
I wonder how many characters can be typed in here
Will Convict Henceforth
I have ATI 4870 its running somewhat well on high settings but:

When you start up the game all the settings have resetted to default, and thus my controlpanel forced Anisotrophic Filtering gets overruled because a shader change ingame rebuilds the world.

If I dont change the settings after startup I cant enable Anti-Aliasing.

The overall game looks nice, but the shadows are glitching.

The world is builded up nice, but doesnt come anything near Crysis or Farcry2
Its just a remake of the old Entropia world. The lush picture they promoted with was just advertising.

And the grass... do I need to say more? Ok I will. It just renders to slow or to late, so its constant building up everywhere you walk. And they look placed very hastely with just a square tool, and clicked random on the screen. They didnt even took the time to blend it in nicely to make a more natural world.

I know its a large world to design, but comeon, there are enough games with wide landscape and they do have nice vegetation everywhere merging in the background.

Ive come along some floating rocks, and there were a whole lot of them (Limnadian) And judging from the previous engine they will be there forever.
Why are the objects not just automatically placed on the terrain texture?

I see allot of LOD changes on objects, (the object in the back flips over to a more detailed version) Also the stickmen are still here (avatars in the background)

Also some small bug, If you had a swim the air bubbles will haunt you everywhere you go, or they could just appear if you have used a teleporter.

I like the new avatar skeletal movement system, but there are so much slopes where you cant walk up to, where you used to.

In my opinion the teleporter structures are somewhat overdone and to large. And you often get stuck after teleporting.

My system can run crysis much smoother and higher settings than0I0EU now, I hope they will hire a guy from Crytec to massively optimise and tweak their settings to make it run better.

The biggest problem I find are the graphical settings that are not saved propperly, if that is fixed I can tweak the settings for best results.

What I still dont get is that they released the VU before making sure the things we had still works, like MF use and team etc.

Oh before I forget, all the new avatar poses/stances are now not included anymore? Looks like they did not used the latest version to upgrade but took some early version.

So far I do like the new engine, but they need to come up with patches and fixes soon.

I dont know if I have more cons than pros ;)

Back