My take on this game

Jallard

Mature
Jacqueline Jackie Allard
My take on this game thus far is not good. While I admit that I started with the free version of the game I am already having problems with the learning curve. That being trying to stay alive and being attacked by multiple creatures at once, even though I only targeted one creature. And, two, getting around the menus. Not very intuitive as far as I am concerned.

While the game has potential, for me at least, it would be nice to know how much it actually cost, in real money, to play the game properly? The starting crap for the free version of the game is enough for me to uninstall it and walk away. I play video games to have fun not stress over. Perhaps I should stick with Tera and Fallout 4 and those kinds of games. Thank you.

My take on this game thus far is not good. While I admit that I started with the free version of the game I am already having problems with the learning curve. That being trying to stay alive and being attacked by multiple creatures at once, even though I only targeted one creature. And, two, getting around the menus. Not very intuitive as far as I am concerned.

While the game has potential, for me at least, it would be nice to know how much it actually cost, in real money, to play the game properly? The starting crap for the free version of the game is enough for me to uninstall it and walk away. I play video games to have fun not stress over. Perhaps I should stick with Tera and Fallout 4 and those kinds of games. Thank you.

The question you ask is not easily answered since it depends on how you want to play this game.. I know many that actually play for free but work hard in game to make that so.. If you want an easier time playing, take the shortcut and deposit. You also would have an easier time with the learning curve if you joined a society and got a mentor..

But, then again, this game is definitely not for everyone. If you are not enjoying yourself, maybe it's best not to play at all.

not an exact number but... here's an old thread on cost to play from a few years back:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...lay-Entropia&p=2122881&viewfull=1#post2122881

Playing economically can have a major impact on cost to play. How you decide to do that is where it gets tricky. You are right, at the low levels playing free or at a low cost per hour is very boring... As you go higher in levels it gets very grindy and boring in that regard. Also, the cost per click gets higher the higher up you go in levels and challenges... It is possible to play for free, but that is a very, very, very difficult/boring thing to do, and the odds are likely that the cost of internet and electricity to do so will make it not a worthwhile thing for most... but some can and do do it... not easy, but it is possible. If you go the freebie route, expect to hunt a lot of stuff on the ground and sweat for hours on end, only to find that you can't sell the sweat too easily unless you have the right contacts or hours upon hours on hand to spam chat channels.

If you haven't invested a lot yet in either monetary or time resources, and already find it boring as hell, it might be a good idea to exit stage left before you become 'addicted.' For some the learning curve itself is the challenge that makes the game a worthwhile pursuit. As far as the learning curve goes, if you do wish to continue in game, study the in game chats (sign up for major chat channels if you figure out how to do it - Mindark's website is less than useful on that, just as it is for many things), study the forums and history therein - but don't use old outdated info too much as things change majorly over time from year to year, study http://www.entropiawiki.com/ , study http://www.candyman.se/pe/bobthebuilder/v2/ if the learning curve still does not entice you, perhaps it is time to get out before you get in over your head. Search youtube and other social media sites for entropia tutorials and stuff. Stay away from any sites that claim to sell you peds outside of the game or offer you get rich schemes with automated bots, macros, etc. Most of those are scams.

On the cost thing, some can get buy on 10-30 bucks a month, but if you do it will limit you a bit on what you can do. The dollar per hour in game estimate does work on some items and some stuff, but is a very low estimate on a lot of other things (although some can figure out how to make it a high estimate if you do figure out the learning curve a lot)

Don't try to be an uber in an hour or a month. If you do you'll likely just run up a credit card bill and become pissed off at the end of the day when you realize how much you dropped in to the deposits. If you enjoy chatting and socializing, playing free or low cost is pretty easy to do. However, many that do that can and do get tempted when "investment opportunities" come knocking that cause them to be very tempted to deposit more, More, MORE...

Just remember to only put in what you can afford to lose. Since the loot pool in game is compared to gambling by many, remember the old advice for real world gamblers, "Bet with your head, not over it."

When comparing this game to others, be aware that there's quite a few planets in the game, and each has their own theme and style of play... so each planet is sort of a mini-game... with pros and cons. Each continent/asteroid/server on each planet also has their own sort of theme with different goals, etc. Just because you don't like one planet you start on doesn't mean you won't love another one... but the travel between the planets will cost you a bit, and space is a pvp zone that you can get looted in... so you have to be careful. Mother ships can help you travel a bit safely, but even they get blown up by pirates from time to time.

Don't carry lootable items in pvp zones if you can help it... but maybe pvp is your thing and that's an entirely different journey you might enjoy in game. Some do, some don't. Most hate pirates, but some love to be pirates and that's all they do.

Remember, all items in game came from somewhere... so at some point in time someone obtained almost every item in game WITHOUT paying a ton of markup to someone else playing the game in order to originally obtain it... with the exception of auctioned items that originated on the auction block without a buyout price. In other words, don't pay a lot in markup for stuff UNLESS it's something you really need, want, or can easily afford. Some markup prices are justified, others not so much. In recent years a lot of markup has lowered vs where it was a couple of years ago, but on other things just the opposite has happened. In general, the newer an item is or the better an item is the higher the markup is going to be, but that's not always the case, and a lot of folks can and do manipulate the auction markup prices trying to get what they own to sell for a lot more than it's worth through selling items on auction to their "brother, mother, cousin, (alts, etc.)" Technically that type of market manipulation is against the eula, but it happens a lot anyways, at least on some items. Some shops in game do sell for less than auction prices, but others sell for more. Some player to player trades are better than prices on auctions or shops, others not-so-much as resellers are out to make some cash for all the hours they spend spamming chat channels...

There is definitely a lot of learning curves in the game, but the question is are you up for getting past those hurdles or not? If not, get out before you get too invested mentally, psychologically, or monetarily.

If nothing else, learn what SIB (skill increase bonus) is and what the difference is between Limited (L) and Unlimited (non-L) items before you proceed too far. There's a lot of items in game that have both L and non-L variations of the same item... and some of them are Sib, some not.

Last edited:
Like Forest Gump's doctor said to his mom, this "game" is... different.

I've learned to view EU not as a game but as a lifestyle, besides it's better than vegging out in front of the TV every night during the winter period.

There's loads of different activities to do that don't cost a lot, although if you want EU to behave like a Playstation game with thrills and exhilaration it just wont happen unless you want to throw some decent cash at it. Then you need to totally believe and commit yourself to lootius, and it may rain loot on you.

The good news is any development you avatar makes stays with you, any items you obtain can be sold.

Most people here make a profit after their initial deposit, only one or two people actually pay to keep the game going.....so GL. The game survives on about $500 a year income, it's a mystery.

Rick

Nobody said it was easy

the_learning_curve_that_bitch.jpg

Notice the time it takes to understand the basics. The top of the curve is also lower, because nobody knows everything about everything here (way too many things).

Damn all these years practicing my Paint skills are finally paying off. Look at those colory pixels, I can live off this shit :)

Nobody said it was easy

the_learning_curve_that_bitch.jpg

Notice the time it takes to understand the basics. The top of the curve is also lower, because nobody knows everything about everything here (way too many things).

Damn all these years practicing my Paint skills are finally paying off. Look at those colory pixels, I can live off this shit :)

Awesome :thumbup: It seems we have some paint skills in common...

... being attacked by multiple creatures at once, even though I only targeted one creature.
So, what games could u possibly play if u have no idea what mob's aggro range is?
Let's see... SimCity, My Little Pony, most arcade games, all 100% PvP games like Quake Arena. Definitely no MMO's with PvE, they all use mob aggro range concept. Run into aggro range of several mobs and they all attack you, some immediately, some with a small delay.

The very basic truths common to all MMO's aside, EU definitely has a very steep learning curve. Especially the RCE part of it that u can't possibly see anywhere else. Angel O2 Mercer's graph is absolutely correct.

Perhaps you should.

Bla Bla Bla... Perhaps I should stick with Tera and Fallout 4 and those kinds of games. Thank you.

Correct. You should.
I mean, how can you expect to decently play this game if you have no idea what aggro is?
This is the most complicated game there is, and more importantly, a RCE game, and yet, you expected kickass items for free and flashing action (weird considering you hate being mobbed)?
I have played for several months with newbie gear and making the low-level mission. And while it is not staggering, it is far better than what I had when I was much noobier. With virtually no peds, you can now skill up a decent bit killing stuff.

Problem is this game isn't one which you can spent hours and hours and hours on because it will do two things, either suck your ped dry or you get bored with the endless normal below normal loot and log off. What i will say is once you have the bug for it, it kinda stays with you and becomes fun to login every few months for a few days of hunting, crafting, Catch up with megavolt and kaos crew etc. Treat it as a part time part time game and it becomes a whole lot better.

The way you find success in Entropia is way different then most other games including the ones you listed as alternatives. Its much closer to real life in that sense, you work your ass of for a incredible amount of time barely seeing sunlight with little to no reward while your on your way but when you actually accomplish something its impossible to compare to other games.

My advice would be to slow down and approach it in a way where your having fun while learning the ropes. I think i played the game for free for something like 6-8months selling sweat and mind essence with small time hunting as the reward for that before i deposited my first time.

Best of luck to you!
- Jonas

Check out the thread link in my signature.

Well that is because it's because you compare it to other games.
If you were to compare it to staring at the windows start screen; you might notice that windows actually contains less bugs. :wise:

or on topic: EU is not a game

Attacked by mobs of all different creatures at once.
That so reminds me of my early days - ending up at a horrible gloomy Fort Isis with no way to escape (I did not understand what a blue spot on the radar meant - I was so newbish).
Horrible creatures like Snarksnots & Combimbos etc - I heal try to escape, get slaughtered & end up again & again.
Nearly gave up in despair.
Another player ( Hi Dad \o/) saw my predicament & flew me to a safe place - gave good advice & continues to this day - I have some problem, he is always there :)
What I found - most of the community make the game (and away from PvP where the assclowns hang out - all of the community - well just about, ones I have met anyways :)

Let me see if I can clear things up for you...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

While the game has potential, for me at least, it would be nice to know how much it actually cost, in real money, to play the game properly?

:money::money::money::money:

The starting crap for the free version of the game is enough for me to uninstall it and walk away. I play video games to have fun not stress over. Perhaps I should stick with Tera and Fallout 4 and those kinds of games. Thank you.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

My take on this game thus far is not good. While I admit that I started with the free version of the game I am already having problems with the learning curve. That being trying to stay alive and being attacked by multiple creatures at once, even though I only targeted one creature.

Upon ava death you don't loose anything except time. You don't loose level or experience or skills.
Instead of loosing level or experience you can have to repair armor if you were armored, healing tool and ammo because targeted mob can regenerate his health in time you come back from revival.

Being attacked by one or multiple creatures have also positive side - you get free defense skills.
To learn mob agro range you need to make fun of what was upset you as a form of free skilling.
Just find group of mobs and run in middle to agro them and wait to be killed.
You will get a lot of defense skills.
Revive, walk around waiting for your health to regenerate and find another group of mobs and repeat.
Also observe red dots (mobs) on your radar, with time you will be able to know how far you are from mobs agro range by just observing radar.
Bigger mobs or more aggressive type have bigger range ofc.

Another thing in EU mobs are not social as in some other games. Shooting one mob do not agro other mobs in group.
You just need to target a mob from distance - out of their agro range.

Well that is because it's because you compare it to other games.
If you were to compare it to staring at the windows start screen; you might notice that windows actually contains less bugs. :wise:

or on topic: EU is not a game

there are many good answers to your question

But this is the most accurate for me!

EU isn't a game!!!! It is a Sandbox Virtual World with exceptional scifi content and Real Cash Economy!
Enjoy it the way it is, because it is unique.

Finding this "game" is an accomplishment in itself. Gratz as we used to say. My best advice, to enjoy the game, forget you ever saw this forum, piss bitching place.

This is a real cash economy. Your starting equipment is more than generous.

If you want any chance at success you must treat the game like a real life investment. Do a tedious amount of research before you attempt anything.

If you are not willing to spend a lot of money and/or put in a lot of hard work, you won't enjoy Entropia. Only those who really love the game are willing to do these things, and it sounds like you are not one of these people.

Good luck!

To be honest, PE doesn't sound like your kind of game. Probably best to stick to Tera and Fallout 4

Rgds

Ace

Define properly? I always profited in Entropia (in the long run...) with an initial deposit of 270 Euro, but I guess I like stuff which you would define as "stress over" like:

track your runs with excel
maximize markup out, minimize markup in
maximize eco in hunting or optimize your mining strategy
try out profitable stuff and if you find something that works do it again, again, and again....

New Game

While I sincerely appreciate all who responded to my thread knowing what i do know of the game thus far, how can I start over with a new game? I think them I would consider playing. I mean to purchase a starter package, however.

While I sincerely appreciate all who responded to my thread knowing what i do know of the game thus far, how can I start over with a new game? I think them I would consider playing. I mean to purchase a starter package, however.

Asking for help in here can sometimes be like asking for help in a Linux forum. Not that Linux forums are bad or anything.

It used to be this wasn't a game, it was/is a universe, as is. You come in EU you interact with it. All sales are final. This has changed a bit over the years but is still basically true. Not every single sale is final, but most are.

So that's it, allot of the fun of this place is just learning about it. There is a catch, the easiest way to learn is to ask others, but alas many of those you ask, may not know what they are talking about, and others may just mislead you.

There are some really good people, and groups of people, (Societys) also.

Some pools are for diving, this is one to wade in slowly, and then swim for your life. :yay:

Walk away while you can, come back if they change their entire system and returns, its worse than a casino at the moment.

H

Walk away while you can, come back if they change their entire system and returns, its worse than a casino at the moment.

H

What do you mean? When I go to a casino, I expect to walk out with no money. Perhaps I'll come out with a friend, coming out all by itself is a win.

Walking to the casino is hard though, ya eu is much easier point and click pretty much. Why would any sane person come inside EU?

There is no starting over, its just a matter of continuing forward. Just buy a starter package from the webshop, if you so desire, and keep playing. The learning curve is pretty steep, this isn't a game meant to hold anyone's hand. I can tell you, though, that being a new player now is 100x easier than when some of us started playing back in 2002-03. The best thing to do is to read through the new player forum and use websites like entropedia to learn about various parts of the game.

This is a tough game, but once you get into it and learn a few basics, you'll find yourself learning the rest at a good pace. Use the mentorship/disciple menu in the game to search for a highly rated mentor, or look for one on here. And joining a newbie society is a good idea as well. There is also a newbie global chat channel, though I don't know the name of it off hand.

As far as being attacked by multiple mobs at the same time... you gotta be careful. Every mob type has a different agro range, you gotta learn those as you play. The rifle in the starter package has some decent range, and should keep you somewhat safe from big agro. The best package gives you everything you need to start off (armor, heal kit, weapon, etc etc). But I would suggest, again, reading the forums and learning a few things to start.

As far as being attacked by multiple mobs at the same time... you gotta be careful. Every mob type has a different agro range, you gotta learn those as you play.

This is one thing that "Running the TPs" was always good at teaching. Oh course, now we can fly to them all and miss out on learning these ranges. Sometimes, doing it old school has it's advantages. :wise:

This is one thing that "Running the TPs" was always good at teaching. Oh course, now we can fly to them all and miss out on learning these ranges. Sometimes, doing it old school has it's advantages. :wise:

lol, yea i grew to hate atroxs and their extreme range agro. was so easy to get stuck at an outpost

While the game has potential, for me at least, it would be nice to know how much it actually cost, in real money, to play the game properly?

Assuming you spend at least 8 hours each day in EU

First month 100 usd
next 3 month 50 - 100 usd
5th month - 9th month 250 usd and 300 usd extra for gear you want to one time purchase

you still here ? gz thats above the average life spawn

10th month 400 usd minimum
1 year "whats your cc limit ?"

Back