My thoughts on new planets and it's developers.

So what are you saying ?:) Sure they`re responsible but doesn`t mean it`s their main priority.

Taking care of your existing paying customers should ALWAYS be the priority of any successful business.

If taking care of Calypso is not the top priority if SDS, then Calypso is fucked.

Which is why I am on Arkadia. :wtg:

Isn't that what Kim is doing in the 'Ask Mindark' section on EF?

You have to wonder what motivated them into wanting to talk to the players after so many years. Previously any information had to dragged out of them or they only told us half the relevant information.

Now suddenly they want to get cosy with the players and it just happens to coincide with the mining changes and their AGM.

Maybe I'm overly suspicious but when someone who doesn't want to know you even exist suddenly becomes interested...

Shh, dont complain when they are finally getting things right! :yay:

Taking care of your existing paying customers should ALWAYS be the priority of any successful business.

A lot of successful business (like phone companies) constantly screws over their existing customers in favor of new ones tho :silly2:

Isn't that what Kim is doing in the 'Ask Mindark' section on EF?

You have to wonder what motivated them into wanting to talk to the players after so many years. Previously any information had to dragged out of them or they only told us half the relevant information.

Now suddenly they want to get cosy with the players and it just happens to coincide with the mining changes and their AGM.

Maybe I'm overly suspicious but when someone who doesn't want to know you even exist suddenly becomes interested...

Yup thats what im talking about:wise:

What is the difference between Arkadia and Calypso? The game is the same ladies and gents... different shades of a same color.

The difference is communication. Vision. How who rules the game take care of player instances.

FPC and now SDS has the same old MindArk attitude, the silence. Communication is a mandatory task for them, something they have to do in a way or another, not an "investment" on their customers. These are the results.

Taken from his most recent Q&A post....

The simple fact is that any other PP coming into EU after RT, WILL have a much easier journey in their development because of RT having paved the way in way with MA as a separate entity doing something that has NEVER before been done independently from MA. In fact from the above statement it is clear that whom ever was first would have had to back track and sacrifice much more than any one coming after them as Pioneers laying the foundations and ironing out complexities with MA that any other PP will now as a result not have to endure. You dont need to be a genius to realise this and even though you may not like it, but that is a fact and the other PP, including MA know this...You dont !

Arkadia did a good job and YES they launched much better than RT did... BUT...Arkadia and any other pp after RT will never have the inherited difficulties with being pioneers than NDS had. Sorry but sometimes the OBVIOUS just has to be said out loud. And im glad ND put that out there in that Q&A, rather than constantly taking abuse from some this community in silence.

That's just bad development, not a redeeming comment for Rocktropia.

ND put out a half-baked product, just so he could say "FIRST!", instead of putting out a product that was well developed and not just slapped out quickly. The pioneers don't have to have it hard, if they wait. With all that time, ND could've made something much better than what RT is now, and in turn, made something much more sucessfull too. I don't see how saying that RT had the hardest launch because it was rushed is redeeming in any way shape or form. And it was rushed.

On a final note for this Q&A I would like to remind everyone that because of delays in the readiness of the platform we launched ROCKtropia before all the systems were provided to us to create a functional Economy, this can be seen with the latest planet on the platform launching with fundamentals we will not have until our next VU .

Honestly, why do it then. It hasn't given them an advantage in any way. It's just fool-hardy development decisions just so ND could rush to the finish line and use that as some form of gimmick to temporarily draw people in. A complete flash in the pan.

And if what Leona said is true:

Daisy, you keep forgeting to mention that Mr. Jacobs, according to his own words, did think a developed economy (blueprints and stuff) is not needed for his planet.

Then RT is done for with that kind of visonary at the head. The game is based around an economy for heavens sake.

In the end I do hope that all the PP realize that the competition are not the other PP. (Not only the PP but also us Entropians should realize that.)

The real competition is out there, the other (RCE)MMOs that are catching up, some have big companies and huge funds behind them.

So it is not a matter to 'steal' players from another planet. that is a very short term view.

The goal should be attracting new players from other games and new gamers instead.

I don't know if the amount of auction pages is a good reference for the future growth, but it is definitely one of the easiest to monitor. (Maybe some clever guy or girl could make this info in wiki or something so we can see a trend. ;) )
Total pages all planets today: 1216
243 Arkadia
4 Asteroid (FOMA) - Calypso
952 Calypso
0 Crystal Palace - Calypso
17 Rocktropia
3 Next Island

Total pages all planets today: 1216
243 Arkadia
4 Asteroid (FOMA) - Calypso
952 Calypso
0 Crystal Palace - Calypso
17 Rocktropia
3 Next Island

Hmm interesting...

Calypso dropped from an average of 1000-1100 pages to 950 (Arkadia then had 100-120).

Calypso then stopped dropping, while Arkadia has kept increasing...

I am presenting the following because there are still a few perhaps who continue to discount the fact that ND made choices that gave us the end result that is experienced on both ROCKtropia and Next Island today. The continued defense for the struggles of the planets today is that systems were not available at the time.

This is accepted, but it does not account for the time period that they have been available since the release of both planets, and the choice to continue focusing on content delivery (new cities, and now a full-on prison?) rather than on basic systems that both planets sorely needed. Therefore, the comments by so many that Arkadia came along and knocked it out of the park in this respect.

The following is content quoted from the Neverdie interview I did for the Dec 2010 EntropiaTimes magazine:

In April 2010, Jon said they chose to do a soft launch of ROCKtropia in order to get it out the door. “This was somewhat revealing,” shares Jon, “because all of the new systems were not yet in place to create a stand-alone economy.” The timing was also not right to push for the dance battle system, which is the fundamental original game play element for the music planet according to Jon.
So it was absolutely a choice to move forward and release the planet prior to fundamental systems being in place to create a "stand-alone economy" and give the planet a chance at supporting a potential player base.

There was no denying that launching ROCKtropia in its embryonic stage proved extremely valuable to the studio’s learning curve, even though Jon shares that it also revealed its shortcomings to the public. “I like to think of ROCKtropia like a baby still learning to walk,” says Jon, “after all, this is not a game, but an organic, albeit virtual world.” Lessons learned from the ROCKtropia growing pains, the Next Island production was elevated to a whole new level according to Jon, keeping the team at Neverdie Studios working around the clock through the second half of 2010.
Despite the lessons learned from the RT growing pains, the same situation happened with Next Island when it was released (in whatever form they termed it) on Dec 8, 2010. Not even a proper newbie area in place, regardless of what systems were available or not. Next Island has also suffered from not having proper systems in place, and both planets are now playing a catch-up game, which is quite unfortunate, because both have great themes and great potential. I only hope the catch-up game is successful.

John stated that perhaps the most critical growth of ROCKtropia will be the introduction of blueprints for manufacturing, and quests, which are both planned for the end of 2010.
Arkadia started hardcore production in August 2010 ... obviously, systems were available between then and now for the Arkadia development team to implement them in time for the launch of the planet last week on the 25th. Next Island development is now in-house (not being built out by NDS), giving them an opportunity to focus on systems and content, and leaving NDS with their sole focus on RT. Hopefully, this will give both planets the attention they need going forward.

Question
Was the initial delivery of the planet what you expected?

Response
We launched ROCKtropia pretty much at the first moment it became possible to launch a new planet on the Entropia Platform. We had not anticipated so many production delays, and we couldn’t afford to sit on it indefinitely.

Almost all of the little things we had asked for to give it a unique flavor were not yet possible to implement, but we thought the intensity of Zomhattan and the darkness of Lemmy’s castle would prove to be enough to keep it entertaining while we added new systems. What we weren’t prepared for, was the impact of the 80 PED roundtrip teleporter fee to and from Calypso, and the lack of ability to generate any kind of local economy.

The planet was launched too soon to be self-sustaining. It was like delivering a premature baby that you have to
keep inside an incubator for months after. However, I think the flavor of ROCKtropia was distinct, and as we have
continued to add content, it has grown more tasty, but certainly, I am itching to give a more complete picture as we
add even more content.

The planet has gone through, and is still going through changes – new things have been added – including new cities like New Harlem. We added the city areas which are very important to where things are going, but they are far from finished.

New Harlem is my favorite vibe, and I love the Vixens, they are so naughty. Of course, when the male NPC characters are introduced to the urban environments, it will balance things out accordingly. But for me, the first thing I wanted to do was make sweating sexy!
What I find incredibly off about the above quote, is that the focus seems to have been on delivering more content rather than a focus on basic systems to give the economy a boost, and again, not only support the locals, but help promote population growth. We've seen a great deal of content introduced while critical systems are still missing.

Now we hear that there's a balancing issue with some items. It appears yet again that the finger is pointed at MA, when in fact the PP designs (scripts) items with stats, and then MA has to check everything to make sure balancing is in place ... and if you don't think PP or development staff have anything to do with the stats, then revisit the docudrama that ND published and advance to the 6:40 minute mark where Michael is showing the new stats on a weapon to a young lady in the office. It stands to reason that if what is scripted isn't going to fit into the overall balancing of the platform, MA isn't going to release it.

Question
Is there an explanation as to why the blueprints didn’t arrive with the release of the planet?

Response
The system for individual planet blueprints simply still isn’t ready for Planet Partners at the time of this interview, but it
is an extremely high priority system, and I hope that it has arrived by the time this is published.
Obviously, the individual planet blueprint system arrived, because Arkadia made good use of it and delivered well over 300 blueprints at launch last week.

Question
Do you feel that Neverdie Studios being involved in the development of more than one planet will hinder at all the progression of the planets?

Response
The plan was always to handle the workload. Once ROCKtropia and Next Island are both up and running, we will figure out the formula. For us, the focus will be more destinations for ROCKtropia, and more time travel zones for Next Island. Most importantly, we need to get their economies working so that they can support full-time development teams.
Shouldn't a formula be figured out ahead of time in order to support the needs of the planet(s)?

Side-Note ... again, the above is shared to speak to the continued defense of where RT and NI are, and to support what others have said about ND making choices. I would absolutely love to see both of these planets succeed, and perhaps now NDS having only one planet to focus on, we might see it happen, but ... I also think it's relevant that some are saying that responsibility needs to be accepted for the state that these planets are in currently.

I have to agree with those who say that ND's attitude toward those in the community who question his behaviors could very well be pushing people away, and ultimately hurting his planet. I hope this is not the case in the long-run, and that he can now give RT the attention it needs to elevate it to the next level.

This threads not about the blunders of Neverdie.
Although, he does a lot of talking to his own community, be it not always good :)
But he does, i'm sure, care very much for Rocktropia. And the earbashing he's recieved lately, in my view, is way over the top. His planet being the 1st, yes, it's going to be harder to get right, and he does have a lot of catching up, but i'm sure he'll do it.
You could say Arkadia learned from his mistakes. not saying thats the case though, but a thought.

The topic though, is about SDS finaly unzipping their mouths, and communicating, or the hope that they will.
Broken promises already, from a Q&A only 5 or 6 months old, quoted on page 1, about building customer relationships.

If Arkadia & Neverdie can do it, am pretty well damn sure SDS can aswell.
The fact that Hanne is not feeling 100% makes this even more an issue, when the veil of silence is in place, on their own forum to boot.
Heck, just give teasers, like when the migrations going to start, rather than a post the day before saying it will.
Something more than just the new shinkaba mob, which to be honest, never made me excited.
Anything, to look forward to.

Shh, dont complain when they are finally getting things right! :yay:

A lot of successful business (like phone companies) constantly screws over their existing customers in favor of new ones tho :silly2:

True but it still ain't right. The phone companies are an example of how capitalism can go very very wrong. I play this game to have fun not to feel violated like I do with my cell carrier. Come on now! :yup:

Cheers
:headbang:

This threads not about the blunders of Neverdie.

The topic though, is about SDS finaly unzipping their mouths, and communicating, or the hope that they will.

The title of your thread is: "My thoughts on new planets and it's developers." ... while the intent in your opening post may have been the communication of SDS (or lack thereof), you did do a comparison between Calypso and Arkadia. This in turn invited others to express their comparisons with regard to all new planets, which included ROCKtropia, Next Island, and of course Arkadia ... the new planets that have been launched within the past year.

I quoted your opening post and spoke directly to its contents, as well as offered an additional post that stayed with the theme of comparing Calypso and Arkadia. However, the course of this thread's discussion took a natural path of progression based on what the continued posting by all presented.

Meaning ... DrDoom made what I feel was an innocent enough comment in the comparisons he offered based on his experiences. It was only after Daisy responded to DrDoom's post that the ND content escalated. As such, some of us have therefore offered our perspectives as well, and even presented quotes to support them with regard to what some are labeling as continued excuses as to why RT is in the state it is today, and ... several posted their comments before I offered my own with supporting content.

With all due respect to what you say this thread is about, you really can't expect there to be just a comparison between the original planet and a new one when our collective experiences have been across the whole planet platform so far, which in turn gives us a basis for even beginning at a level of some sort of evaluation.

I truly wish all planets success, and my contributions are not a bash ND intent, but speaking to posted content prior to mine to give more clarity to what has come from Neverdie himself.

Thank you.

What I find incredibly off about the above quote, is that the focus seems to have been on delivering more content rather than a focus on basic systems to give the economy a boost, and again, not only support the locals, but help promote population growth. We've seen a great deal of content introduced while critical systems are still missing.

Now we hear that there's a balancing issue with some items. It appears yet again that the finger is pointed at MA, when in fact the PP designs (scripts) items with stats, and then MA has to check everything to make sure balancing is in place ... and if you don't think PP or development staff have anything to do with the stats, then revisit the docudrama that ND published and advance to the 6:40 minute mark where Michael is showing the new stats on a weapon to a young lady in the office. It stands to reason that if what is scripted isn't going to fit into the overall balancing of the platform, MA isn't going to release it.

Obviously, the individual planet blueprint system arrived, because Arkadia made good use of it and delivered well over 300 blueprints at launch last week.

What I find surprising is that it seems that Neverdie does not "get" what Project Entropia/Entropia Universe was all about and that he could start up a planet that is all flash and no substances and it would take off. The game is the economy and the economy is the game, and if you don't design your planet around that, your planet is doomed to failure. Every item should have a use and demand.

Another revealing quote is the one about the underestimating the 80 ped trip for Calypsians to travel to Rocktropia. While designing a planet, it should be set up for all levels of play. Rocktropia appears to have been setup to leech off of Calypso's existing base and hasn't shown much in regard of new players and how they get from killing "Forum Trolls" to being able to handle Lemmy Dragons.

We'll see soon if Arkadia has the infrastructure in place for a player to advance from low level to higher level and be able to have equipment to suit him at each level of play.

I don't know if the amount of auction pages is a good reference for the future growth, but it is definitely one of the easiest to monitor.

the actual number of entries would be more accurate, but I think pages are fine. while it wouldn't be the best metric to measure a local planetary economy, it's not a bad one considering its simplicity and ease of collection.

I, for one, would be interested in seeing a chart with daily samples. and, entropedia is as good a place as any to post it.

I don't know, serica. I don't have a tracker account, so I only can see the home page, which doesn't look too useful.

Sorry, I didnt realise that the tracker page was only available to registered accounts.

Current table from page is below to give you an idea:

Tracker said:
Planet population
Solo hunters

Planet Hunting globals Hunters Increase Turnover
Arkadia 9,207 1,013 +100% 1,545,737 PED
Calypso 50,315 3,004 + 0.54% 5,919,751 PED
Next Island 123 20 -68.25% 42,419 PED
Rocktropia 1,563 168 -8.2% 266,803 PED

Teams

Planet Hunting globals Teams Increase Turnover
Arkadia 2,812 633 +100% 444,192 PED
Rocktropia 218 70 -43.09% 36,003 PED
Calypso 10,730 2,135 -8.72% 1,356,482 PED
Next Island 29 12 -66.67% 10,976 PED

(Soz, cant recall the code for a table)

In any case, if you want to compile a day by day record of comparative numbers of auction pages for each planet, try using a thread or blog here - Entropedia really isn't suitable for that sort of ephemeral data.

Last edited:
In any case, if you want to compile a day by day record of comparative numbers of auction pages for each planet, try using a thread or blog here - Entropedia really isn't suitable for that sort of ephemeral data.

you're likely right with that. I sort of hoped some smart person would know some way.

the tracker's statistics you posted are most odd. I have no idea what it means.

perhaps, in the end, we all need a better way to judge the size of each planet's economy. maybe, MA can generate a GDP or something like that.

Tracker is unreliable as a previous poster said.

Eversince MA changed the way globals are displayed many of the globals on Rocktropia and NI were not displayed. For eg out of the globals I got on Hell, maybe 20% or less are shown on tracker.
Tracker has a warning even:
Attention RockTropia and Next Island players!

MindArk has changed how globals are broadcast inside Entropia Universe. This means that globals happening on Calypso, will only be shown to Calypso players. The same goes for NI and RT players, globals shown on yourplanet, will only be shown on your planet. This means that if someone is running the Entropia Tracker client on Calypso, he can not feed NI or RT globals to the Entropia Tracker database. If you are playing on NI or RT, please make sure you are running the Entropia Tracker client! Go to settings to see how many clients are running on the various planets!

Also taken from entropiatracker website:

Feeding Clients
Unknown location
Currently 5 clients are feeding data to our server.
Calypso
Currently 15 clients are feeding data to our server.
Rocktropia
Currently 1 clients are feeding data to our server.
Next Island
Currently 0 clients are feeding data to our server.
Planet Arkadia
Currently 13 clients are feeding data to our server.

So as you can see there is 1 client feeding from Rocktropia and 0 clients feeding from Next Island. Most globals will be missed ofc.

Also taken from entropiatracker website:

So as you can see there is 1 client feeding from Rocktropia and 0 clients feeding from Next Island. Most globals will be missed ofc.

On the other hand ... of all the players on Next Island, not even one is running the Tracker client.
Doesnt that suggest something about how many people are there ?

On the other hand ... of all the players on Next Island, not even one is running the Tracker client.

It does show ofc there`s more activity on Arkadia and Calypso. However by having 13 or 14 active trackers, almost all globals on Arkadia or Calypso will be captured, while on NI or Rocktropia most will be missed.

No, If Next island is now roamed by new players that dont even know the Entropia Tracker website for one bit then nobody can get the client. Lets think about it 15 client for EU on about 5000 players maybe ? thats kinda low. So either entropiatracker has to do more promoting (for all it is an supported client by mindark now) or they whole tracker thingie goes dead.

BTW if Entropia tracker is official now .. cant starfinder make a few second avatars (official ofc) to get feeds from planets with low population to ensure his service. I would atleast do it if it was okay by mindark.

I have real doubts that players actively engaged in an in-game activity such as hunt for example will willingly sacrifice bandwidth to run the program (ET)... That's one of the reasons i see it so rarely used (and most traders just don't even bother to think about it). And when in other planets, of course, you got a dilution effect of the people that runs ET which makes it unreliable.

No, If Next island is now roamed by new players that dont even know the Entropia Tracker website for one bit then nobody can get the client. Lets think about it 15 client for EU on about 5000 players maybe ? thats kinda low. So either entropiatracker has to do more promoting (for all it is an supported client by mindark now) or they whole tracker thingie goes dead.

BTW if Entropia tracker is official now .. cant starfinder make a few second avatars (official ofc) to get feeds from planets with low population to ensure his service. I would atleast do it if it was okay by mindark.

If I was a planet partner, I'd consider it in my financial interest to be supporting the basic tools used and created by Entropia players.

While Starfinder, as an ordinary player, does not have the authority to create official avatars for these sorts of purposes, the planet partners do.

I have real doubts that players actively engaged in an in-game activity such as hunt for example will willingly sacrifice bandwidth to run the program (ET)... That's one of the reasons i see it so rarely used (and most traders just don't even bother to think about it). And when in other planets, of course, you got a dilution effect of the people that runs ET which makes it unreliable.

Sorry to hear that in Portugal you have bandwidth issues running EU.
Over here in Australia, with considerably more lag due to distance, I still manage to run it just fine while hunting.
Tracker is running whenever I'm ingame. It's part of my contribution to the EU community.

Incidentally, I'm not suggesting that Tracker is perfect, or that its totally statistically reliable.
Just that it already is gathering data that lets some comparison to be made.
And not everyone seems to be aware of that info, even if they run the client.

Last edited:
If I was a planet partner, I'd consider it in my financial interest to be supporting the basic tools used and created by Entropia players.

While Starfinder, as an ordinary player, does not have the authority to create official avatars for these sorts of purposes, the planet partners do.

Well either Starfinder got the okay to create a second avatar , I mean Advisor got them and Pilots in the past too. Ofc restrictions are in place and need to be enforced. But if a planet partner places a avatar of there self with the client working then the problem is solved.

Tracker is running whenever I'm ingame. It's part of my contribution to the EU community.

They fact MindArk official finds it okay to run this client with its addional feature like screenshot grabber, mining claim tracker etc etc. And team loot tracker gives it a nice addiontal and a need to have tool if you ask me. That it uses my bandwodth a bit for uploading mweh ....I set my pron download little bit lower then no biggie.

back to topic RT and NI dont seems to promote if you ask me .. or I miss something.

Well either Starfinder got the okay to create a second avatar , I mean Advisor got them and Pilots in the past too. Ofc restrictions are in place and need to be enforced. But if a planet partner places a avatar of there self with the client working then the problem is solved.

They fact MindArk official finds it okay to run this client with its addional feature like screenshot grabber, mining claim tracker etc etc. And team loot tracker gives it a nice addiontal and a need to have tool if you ask me. That it uses my bandwodth a bit for uploading mweh ....I set my pron download little bit lower then no biggie.

back to topic RT and NI dont seems to promote if you ask me .. or I miss something.

1/ The adviser avatars are owned by a planet partner (SDS). The people using them do so only with permission of the planet partner, and complying with the rules they stated.
2/ There was never official permission given for pilots to use 2nd avatars to run their hangar. Those who did that did so in breach of the EULA.

Woah.. just saw this thread.. So.. let me reply to what I can about ET...

Tracker has a warning even
Yes, its been there for a while.
I would very much like to travel between the various planets promoting ET, but currently my CC ingame says ~300 PED - and I also like to play a little.
I am currently speaking with an event promotor to have his "team of town criers" call out messages for ET on the various planets. Perhaps this will inform new players about ET.

So either entropiatracker has to do more promoting (for all it is an supported client by mindark now) or they whole tracker thingie goes dead.
See above.
Im not quite sure I follow. There still needs to be 1 client to 1 ET client. So, I need to have X computers running at my house 24/7 feeding from the different planets?

I have real doubts that players actively engaged in an in-game activity such as hunt for example will willingly sacrifice bandwidth to run the program (ET)...
ET sends about 500 bytes to 2 kb each time someone globals. This is done in separate threads from Entropia Universe (ofcourse) so the CPU will not effect EU unless you have a REALLY old single threadded CPU (we are tralking pre year 2000).. And bandwidth wise, ET uses less bandwidth than.. uhm.. anything else ive ever seen.....

I am in the same boat as you. Given the development inside EU with now 4 different planets, and the very very VERY limited information planet partners gets about the planet they operate. I also thought it would be in their interrest to have as full coverage as possible at all times. Needless to say - I will be available to build custom data-output's for planet partners should they need/want it. Arkadia seems very interested in this, partly I think because of the CEO's previous ties with EU and his grasp of how "things works". So I sat down the other day and tried to come up with a formula that might benefit both Entropia Tracker in terms of data reliability, the planet partner in term of increased income and me/711 in terms of funding for the project.

My idea is pretty simple. If a client runs ET from a specific planet for X hours each month, ET will give this client (user) access to EVERYTHING related to this planet on ET for free. The planet partner will in effect pay for the user. The idea is that the planet partner gets a "customer" who participates on his planet for a very small payment to ET, ET gets a steady income (which we do not have now - been months since the last paypal deposit i think), and the user (you guys) gets everything for free.

This I think (hope) will get more people to run ET, so we can get the coverage thats needed to truly be able to use ET for what its intended.

Currenly I have offered this solution to RT and Arkadia.
Based on their response I will approach NI and Calypo with similar offers.

(For the keen eyed person this is also what the update to ET was about yesterday - it now logs how long you have been feeding globals to ET and from which planet - check ET forum for more info)

I PP get involved in this, I think that a solution integrated in EU would be advisable, at least for Global screenshots and data feeding. A dream, isnt' it?

Back