name shaming

MoFo

Alpha
Society
WildD3amons
Foxy Queen Cleopatra
As we log onto Entropia Universe every morning or night, we try to think what the game has installed for us this time. Will we hit the big one?, are we even going to make back the ped too cover the cost of all the decay?.

Some out there are lucky then others if you want to call it "luck", but for those others they go out hoping that this luck will come there way. also we come across alot of other strange sometimes fun sometime not so fun things, like meeting with others avatars. 9 times out of 10 we talk things out if something goes wrong, this is also depending on this other person current state. we chat make friends go hang out hunt, mine or just dance together in twin and make people feel good.
Sometimes we come cross people when mistakes are made and it could go right or it could go wrong, we always like to hope it will go right but there is always that one time it can go wrong. it's late your not feeling to well you log on to chat with friends or go for a hunt to take your mind off things.

What if something goes wrong, what if you don't about what your doing you make a mistake, and it cant be fixed just like that. If it was with the wrong person and they are in no state to know what they are doing at the time. But we do not know this, and we go and do the first thing that come to us most of the time for me this would be freak out. It's not the best thing if anything it can make matters worse. we don't think about what would be the best thing to do we just go and do what we think is best for us for what we think will make it right at the time the thing that will help, which in most case's is the wrong thing.

I know myself have made the wrong choice to how i have deal'ed with this kind of matter, i wasn't thinking bout how others could be just myself and my friend. in the end it didn't help at all going around telling one side of the story or even trying to tell what happened with out really knowing what had happened. this ended with well know people getting there name put in shame and also bring down a lot of others with them which isn't fair on anyone.
Now i can see what has happened although all i was trying to do way help a friend i wanted to see the right thing done i didn't think about the other person and how they were, and i'm sorry for not doing that now. it has not only giving this other person a bad name but myself as well.

I guess this is really about we come to have fun try make some money, but sometime we don't think about what we are doing or saying and can hurt a lot of people in trying to do the right thing with out really sitting here and thinking about it first. I don't want to see others make the same mistakes i have made and i hope by you all reading my story that is wont happened to you.

there is really no need to go out slagging other peoples names if they have done the wrong thing or not.

with out mistakes nothing is learnt

All i wanted was to see a friend happy and and too get what was rightfully her back, but slagging someones name to try and get the thing back dose not help in anyway if anything it can make matter worse. people like to know all the gos and who's done what if good or bad. this is a hard think though if someone dose something wrong by talking others things we all thing they are thief, and every one wants to know the person who done it. but its going to help more make them feel any better and most likely not want to give the stuff back.

I my self think if something really bad has happened all should informed but with miner things it should all be worked out without it getting out of hand.

Last edited:
That person is only using the slagging as an excuse to not give back what does not belong to them.

Just another one added to the "do not deal with" list :)

Thanks for the info...

someone from a well know soc got 669 ped in a trade by accident, and accepted the trade, and didnt give it back, someone in desperation posted on this forum using the name of the person

the leader of their soc and other soc members then came to defend this person, this person, the soc leader, and the other soc member(s) all said he wasnt going to give the peds back.

reason given, the person was rude/insulting afterwards and the thread on this post on this forum was badmouthing their soc.

now this soc is apparently really upset about looking bad.

this soc could of been upset about the behaviour of their soc member and then maybe they wouldnt look like a soc that condones thievery.

and all for 669 ped, $66.9 seems like the rl economy is really bad if this is what a top socs rep is worth :p

i think that covers it for those confused
without breaking any rules :p

So "the guy" who initially said he wouldnt give the peds back is now clinging onto the reason that a thread was made about him doing a runner with the mistake and his society thinks thats ok and a valid reason???

Dont know the guy - dont know the soc ;) but thats bottom feeding and quite pathetic! If your going to try and make excuses for taking advantage of somebodies mistake at least make it a good one - im sure between the lot of ya you could have thought of something less childish to save face?

So "the guy" who initially said he wouldnt give the peds back is now clinging onto the reason that a thread was made about him doing a runner with the mistake and his society thinks thats ok and a valid reason???

Dont know the guy - dont know the soc ;) but thats bottom feeding and quite pathetic! If your going to try and make excuses for taking advantage of somebodies mistake at least make it a good one - im sure between the lot of ya you could have thought of something less childish to save face?

Not just the thread but apparently some comments were made in game at the time but yeah still a pretty weak and convenient excuse.

I know if this happened in our Soc Serica would have no hesitation in telling them to do the right thing or showing them the door and she would have the full support of the entire leadership group.

Unfortunately we have had to 'let people go' for less blatant things than this in the past.

gut reactions change with experience of real life (and also the virtual one to an extent).. there is and always will be the X factor of course... age and experience of life and personally being able to draw on this.. i have seen myself react in many different ways to many different events, i still on occasion react in an irresponsible and maybe immature way even though i think about my reaction beforehand and know it's immature etc... regardless of how much experience i have.

But there is always a fundamental instinct of common sence regarding certain behaviour from myself, there will always be those that have no such sense.

Not just the thread but apparently some comments were made in game at the time but yeah still a pretty weak and convenient excuse.

I know if this happened in our Soc Serica would have no hesitation in telling them to do the right thing or showing them the door and she would have the full support of the entire leadership group.

Unfortunately we have had to 'let people go' for less blatant things than this in the past.

Seems to me some societies have a different set of morals and ethics and what we assume to be the right thing may not be so obvious to a society that follows a different set of morals and ethics.

Say we have a pvp oriented society pvp by it's very nature is about killing and looting. So is it surpsising to see such a society condone trade mistakes? my answer to that is yes. I have come across many pvp players who have the utmost morals and code of ethics (e.g. sevvy, star ) so it's quite baffling what's happened in this particular case. :scratch2:

after reading your posts about this issue it seems pretty simple there was a mistrade and when you asked the person for the ped back he or she said ty for the gift and then told you that the ped wasn't going to be giving back.. Now I would think any Honest person would give the ped back considering the mistake and all but as we have yet to see this has not happened it is sad really and I hope it works out for you in the end.

He should give the ped back, anything less and he is a douchebag. I doubt he would ever do that in real life, lest he gets his arse beat!

I disagree fully, that person entirely deserved it and it was a good thing to warn others of his unscrupulous nature. Obviously this person has no sense of right nad wrong and it's really ironic to me that his soc is more pissed off at the REACTIONS to what he's done than the actual theft. Let's not mince words, it's theft. If u forget ur suitcase next to someone, then come bk to grab it, even if he's claimed it as his own, IT ISN'T. And you sure don't get mad at the person trying to reclaim it, and turn the tables saying ur so offended by this person doing all they can to get their stuff back. And frankly, i lost all respect for the soc now too, in any soc i've heard of this wouldn't have even been an issue, but it seems some people are better at others at ignoring reality. I've found something funny, when money or friends is involved suddenly people have a very relativistic morality. Suddenly they are able to justify all kinds of things they wouldn't take onto themselves. People have to start living up to their actions and not use the excuse of the person they affected's REACTIONS to it to not do the right thing. Ye, it's hard to admit wrong and it's even harder being called on it, but the only way u regain respect after it is to admit your mistakes, not pull a childish hissy fit.... I can almost imagine him atm "lalalalalalala, i caaaaaan't hear yoooouuuu" with fingers blocking his ears...

I read about this situation and wanted to post a thought but it got locked...

But think about it for a second...

Mr. A wanted to trade with Mr. B but accidentaly traded with Mr. C .
Mr. A realized his mistake and started freakig out, but was the first thing he said after doing this "GIVE ME MY PEDS U ASSHOLE"?
What if Mr. C had all the intentions of returning the PEDS but first wanted to tease Mr. A and the name calling started after a bit of teasing?
I wouldnt bet on any side of this story, probably something inbetween.

So does name-calling make people dishonest? Does it really change your personality when u get called "asshole'? Is the word "asshole" an excuse for not returning a few peds?

Keep in mind, that the name-shame thread wouln't have been made if those peds were returned right away ... you cant drag that reason here...

Just a few thoughts...

TJ:bandit:

It is sounding as if this wasn't a WildD3amon involved in the incident on either end. But if it was Foxy it should have been brought to my attention to handle with the offending SOC leader. This is the 1st I heard of this incident so I am assuming it isn't a WD involved other than you helped flame the situation a bit. As you have apologised for in 1st post good move :)

If you have a problem between 2 SOCs/another player use your SOCs leadership to help fix the problem. If your leader can't resolve the issue for you or help guid you in the direction for resolution then you might be in the wrong SOC. I direct all my SOC members to get screen shots of everything that happens when put in a bad trade/situation. Sometimes it isn't thought of at the time but when you confront the individual to say hey their was a mistake screen shot all of that conversation record time and location as well. Pass all this information to your SOC leader to contact the other players SOC leader VIA PM!! The leaders have the most vested intrest in keeping their SOC names alive and they will work for a solution the majority of the time.

I have had to resolve many issues over the years with SOC members and some I can clearly see my guy was in the wrong and they were let loose. I have also allowed players that I have booted out back in when they came to me and apologised for their behavor and promised me it won't happen again, and it didn't.

If in the case the other SOC leader doesn't help resolve the issue then I would refer my SOC member back to filling a support case. Then basicly give them free will to flame in forums(their are other forums to flame in).

Actions have consequences. I was once a part of the supposed moral majority that insisted people must "do the right thing" if ever they were gifted PEDs by mistake either through auction or otherwise, but I keep finding it harder and harder to go along with this. Maybe I'm just having an off couple of months, but I'm failing to find a good reason for someone to give it back.

First and foremost, we're in an RCE. If that isn't reason enough for you to be careful then I don't know what is. The second time I use this quote today, but, "It's immoral to let a sucker keep his money" - Canada Bill Jones. Now, I've been the sucker in quite a few instances on Calypso. Rather than run here and cry about it, I've taken it as a lesson learned. It's made me a much more cautious player and I dare to say a better player.

Next, why do we feel the need to pressure people into giving the money back? What's at stake for us? Would that simple gesture of being nice really restore our faith in humanity? Seriously? Now I've given +reps in the past for people for actually returning items or money, but I've lately wanted to tack on a "You didn't have to do that." It's true. They didn't have to do it. Bank error in your favor: Collect $20. Thank goodness monopoly doesn't have a moral majority to force that $20 back to the bank. That's monopoly money. It isn't even real money. Who knows what would happen if someone collected an extra $200 at a real bank?

Ugh. Maybe I'm just replying here because I'm trying to decide my own morals. Maybe I'm replying because I'm tired of people recruiting all of EF to help them recoup losses made by their own carelessness.

Edit - just worked it out it is not :)

People, i beg, i seriously beg of you, STOP CLAIMING RCE AS AN EXCUSE... RL is rce btw... it doesn't fly there either...

People, i beg, i seriously beg of you, STOP CLAIMING RCE AS AN EXCUSE... RL is rce btw... it doesn't fly there either...

I tried to use RL as an example as well...

Well, don't get me wrong, i see ur point... BUT, the bank has a right to reclaim their mistake if they see it and WILL DO SO in most cases... This is now getting to trying to justify something by haves and have nots, like justifying stealing from a major chain cause they can afford it... It's not any morally superior in my mind whether u steal from a rich man or a poor, both earned whatever they have usually, and cherish it... It's not up to the person taking to decide imo... And i'd like to see u argue with the government if they make a mistake in ur favour... They will hold u RESPONSIBLE for not having come clean usually... This is true with most laws as far as i understand too...

I tried to use RL as an example as well...

Fact remains, he knows its a mistake either in a RCE or RL and has done a runner.... I cant defend that, can you really?

Or is it bad form?

Fact remains, he knows its a mistake either in a RCE or RL and has done a runner.... I cant defend that, can you really?

Or is it bad form?

I'm not certain. I'm just saying that I've paid for mistakes. If I can help people avoid paying for their mistakes I will. I just urge everyone to quit coming here and recruiting others to help recoup losses that wouldn't have been made in the first place had proper caution been used.

Or is it bad form?

in the end no matter how I look at it it boils down to that. The guys run of with the money. Which is truly sad.

I'm not certain. I'm just saying that I've paid for mistakes. If I can help people avoid paying for their mistakes I will. I just urge everyone to quit coming here and recruiting others to help recoup losses that wouldn't have been made in the first place had proper caution been used.

So you are saying that it is the fault of the person who has lost the ped through a mistake and blame should not be put on the guy for running with it and that it is ok to do that... is that what you are saying?

In the first place, he should have given it back shouldnt he?

Yes, we all paid for our mistakes, but it doesn't justify u wanting another to feel ur pain for it lol ;) We made mistakes in the past, sure, but we sure as hell woulda done what we could to right them, no? I jsut hope less people get that mentality of "it happened to me, it's ok for it to happen to you"...

Back