Need a new sci-fi novel to read? My new book is now on Kindle.

Hurrikane

Slayer
Society
GloryHound Irregulars
Oscar Hurrikane SkyQuake
I'm very proud to announce that my debut sci-fi novel Nowhere City Irregulars is now AVAILABLE ON KINDLE through Amazon (for a quid!). If fast-paced sci-fi is your thing, or if you're normally put off by 9-volume epic series or names full of apostrophes, try the free sampler. It's a stand-alone romp through hostile space as the residents of a deep space prison try to get home in the middle of a war. The eBook has no 'cover' picture, sorting that out soon, but all the words are there, and some of them are arranged beautifully. Did I mention we just had a baby?;)

Oh... and of course.... PUT A REVIEW IN PLEASE!:)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nowhere-Cit...?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1346477141&sr=1-1

Thanks.

Hurrikane (Kev Page)

Just as soon as I work out how to convert Kindle files so my Kobo can use them..

PS: Why are you wearing an 'Alaska' T-shirt, not a WoF one ?? ;)

Last edited:
Wish you the best with that, putting it out comes with some anticipation of the reviews.
I guess with a new bub & WoF you'd be as busy as a one armed bricklayer in Baghdad too:D

cool , am I in this one?? ;)

cool , am I in this one?? ;)

In a sense, mate, in a sense.

I'll let you figure out who you might have inspired:)

Hurrikane

Just as soon as I work out how to convert Kindle files so my Kobo can use them..

PS: Why are you wearing an 'Alaska' T-shirt, not a WoF one ?? ;)

I only buy clothes on holiday and the WoF one was in the wash:)

Hurrikane

my mums got a kindle , ill blag her to buy it:D

my mums got a kindle , ill blag her to buy it:D

Kindle is Free to put on your PC, just did it myself. You get a free Treasure Island and coupla others as well:)

Hurrikane

darn you! guess ill have to shell out for it myself :p

Just finished, and it's a hell of a read, Hurri :)

If you don't mind me saying, this would make an outstanding movie. Great plot with lots of opportunity for explosions and chase scenes :cool:

This isn't one just for the sci-fi geeks but for anyone who likes fast-paced action-adventure.

Looking forward to the trilogy :)

Just finished, and it's a hell of a read, Hurri :)

If you don't mind me saying, this would make an outstanding movie. Great plot with lots of opportunity for explosions and chase scenes :cool:

This isn't one just for the sci-fi geeks but for anyone who likes fast-paced action-adventure.

Looking forward to the trilogy :)

Thanks:) I tend to write books with the movie adaptation in mind. I don't suppose you could copy that review into Amazon?:) (mebbe leave out the Great read Hurri;))

Hurrikane

Hey m8 it's £1 AND 3 pence!!!

Sounds like an awesome book Hurri, unfortunatly I CAN'T READ IT!!!! Only available in the UK. Grrrrr.... Well lemme know when it makes its way across the pond.....

Blackjack :cowboy:

Subscribing. ;)

Congratulations Hurri ... on my Kindle and will start reading before bed. :yay:

Thanks:) I tend to write books with the movie adaptation in mind. I don't suppose you could copy that review into Amazon?:) (mebbe leave out the Great read Hurri;))

Hurrikane

I will hon, they're making me wait 48hrs from purchase tho, so it will be later today.

I will hon, they're making me wait 48hrs from purchase tho, so it will be later today.

Thanks:) I know it's not cool to beg for reviews but I've never been particularly cool.

Hurrikane

Book xtracts

Pity Amazon does not provide extracts for this book. Can the author publish a chapter or two here for us to review? It quite helps before buying a book.
A link to the authors website with the extracts will also do.
I'm a really big fan of litarature including and particular sci-fi. But it's kinda hard to commit without really knowing what u r buying.

Why selling it for a quid:(

I won't even look at it for that price. Oh Kindle you say. Never heard of lightning source? Don't know how to make respectable book covers? Don't realize you could market the same thing over Amazon for say £7.99 and make £2.50 profit after the printer and Amazon take their cut.

Should have talked to someone like me first. Failure is nothing to be proud of.

But, this said. You made a start.

Preparation is the key. Praparation. i.e RESEARCH.

Best of luck Hurrikane. Get in touch for the love of God.

This is the difference I play on a state of the art PC and you don't. Not because I am more able but more savvy.

You might be pissed by this comment but it is meant well : Do not sell yourself short! :wise:

Hey steve thanks for the neg-rep over this thread - the point your ava name is in lower caps kind of sums up your literary skills and proves my point.

If someone is serious they will be serious and act like they mean it.

I have no idea that Hurrikane is a godawful writer or a genius, my point is simply that one must aim high. and pissing about with Kindle is almost an admission of failure. My comment was about aiming for greatness, not saying he was crap ( I have no idea ). When we get to the point that ecerything we do is OK, all is lost.

It is OK to have an opinion. Really, it's fine. Please. Liberals suck.

Why selling it for a quid:(

I won't even look at it for that price. Oh Kindle you say. Never heard of lightning source? Don't know how to make respectable book covers? Don't realize you could market the same thing over Amazon for say £7.99 and make £2.50 profit after the printer and Amazon take their cut.

Should have talked to someone like me first. Failure is nothing to be proud of.

But, this said. You made a start.

Preparation is the key. Praparation. i.e RESEARCH.

Best of luck Hurrikane. Get in touch for the love of God.

This is the difference I play on a state of the art PC and you don't. Not because I am more able but more savvy.

You might be pissed by this comment but it is meant well : Do not sell yourself short! :wise:

Thanks for all the advice and the patronising way you worded it. I'm selling it at a similar price to most people selling their first book on Kindle. The cover's on it's way but I wanted to get things rolling before it came. The whole Kindle/publishing set-up is done through Amazon. The only people who can charge £7.99 for an unproven book are very established authors. As for talking to someone like you first, why would I do that? You were kicked from our Soc for being a dick, remember? If you were 'more savvy' you wouldn't be delusional enough to think I might want or need your help. Get a life for the love of god.

Hurrikane

P.S. that silly Kindle was the medium used by the author of 50 Shades of Grey to get started. She's now earning a million a week. Acting on that information, and after a year of waiting for agents and publishers to reply, I gave it a free punt out on Kindle while I worked on my other books just to see what would happen. So far, I've had a few sales and some twat thinking that because he has a new computer he's the source of all knowledge.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Peezle can be a bit rough around the edges,
but he is damn good when it comes to marketing and does this sort of thing IRL for work.

Its just a matter of dealing with the rough edges first,
but hey good luck with your title Hurrikane and new bubby!

:) Cheers, V.

Pity Amazon does not provide extracts for this book. Can the author publish a chapter or two here for us to review? It quite helps before buying a book.
A link to the authors website with the extracts will also do.
I'm a really big fan of litarature including and particular sci-fi. But it's kinda hard to commit without really knowing what u r buying.

A free sample is available from Kindle/Amazon, the first 10% of the book I believe, I downloaded it myself as a test as soon as the book went live.

Hurrikane

Hey guys,

Peezle can be a bit rough around the edges,
but he is damn good when it comes to marketing and does this sort of thing IRL for work.

Its just a matter of dealing with the rough edges first,
but hey good luck with your title Hurrikane and new bubby!

:) Cheers, V.

Couldn't give a toss if the guy shits gold bricks, he's a sarcastic twat I have no time for. If succeeding means listening to him I WANT to fail.

And: If he's so good at marketing, why's he marketed himself as a pain in the arse?

Felt I had to explain myself a bit better and not just snap back at the troll (not that he's got a habit of trolling, but to me, here, he's a troll).

He's talking to me as if I haven't spent the last twenty-odd years thinking up stories, refining characters, devising plots, looking at the publishing industry, reading all I could that was written by my peers on how to write, how to get published, how to market yourself and what it involves to be a successful author, and writing books I am confident to present to the public. The last four years I've been writing constantly and have around half a million words to show for it, most of which form stories I'm proud of, although bills need paying so writing is not all I've done. Nor is it the only thing I'm trying in an attempt to earn money from creative endeavours, but none of that matters to anyone but me; it's certainly none of his business to comment on.
As Nowhere City Irregulars is not part of a series like my other books are, it seemed a good way to try out self-publishing online, as it's something I'd been avoiding in favour of getting a legitimate book deal and agent, i.e. validation that allows me to place my work in bookshops alongside my peers. When you release a book on the internet you have waived the chance to offer it unseen and have committed to marketing and distributing it yourself, but after looking around, I thought I'd give Kindle a go. Part of getting the afore-mentioned validation is getting people to read your work, and selling a debut novel cheaply through a free facility like Kindle is one of many ways to boost your internet presence and your potential audience.

What I mean to say is, I'm not blind to all advice, although believe me, I've read my fair share of it. But when someone, anyone (he could be the chief commissioning editor at Bloomsbury for all I care) starts a conversation by calling me a failure, picks up people for their grammar while writing words like "praparation" and "ecerything" in his own posts, cites having a newer computer than me as a reason to respect his opinion and then goes on to say something as revealing as 'liberals suck', I'm not gonna be taking his advice anytime soon. For the record, I'm a 'liberal.' Can't imagine why anyone would be otherwise. So as I suck by default, his advice is negated. It only applies to conservatives.

Hurrikane

Last edited:
Couldn't give a toss if the guy shits gold bricks, he's a sarcastic twat I have no time for. If succeeding means listening to him I WANT to fail.

Hurrikane

Good luck with your project Hurrikane, I have all the time in the world for people who have the courage to take their ideas into the world.

But, marketing is a subtle thing, and you need to think very very carefully about how you sell your work into the world. That's all. I have listened to many mentors over the years who pointed out my errors. Thank god.

Best wishes.

EDIT - calling me a twat means you have invested too much into the project to see clearly. I am trying to be straight with you. Most people will lie and make the thing less likely to do well. If you think I am sarcastic, then I am sorry. I am trying to e honest, but hey, seen a lot of losers who just get angry. Bring it down.

And: If he's so good at marketing, why's he marketed himself as a pain in the arse?

Hurrikane

hehe those are the rough edges I was talking about, he immediately put me on the back foot when I first met him too. He knows his good at what he does for work IRL, so I would just call it a poor character trait for first impressions ... :)

What I mean to say is, I'm not blind to all advice, although believe me, I've read my fair share of it. But when someone, anyone (he could be the chief commissioning editor at Bloomsbury for all I care) starts a conversation by calling me a failure, picks up people for their grammar while writing words like "praparation" and "ecerything" in his own posts, cites having a newer computer than me as a reason to respect his opinion and then goes on to say something as revealing as 'liberals suck', I'm not gonna be taking his advice anytime soon. For the record, I'm a 'liberal.' Can't imagine why anyone would be otherwise. So as I suck by default, his advice is negated. It only applies to conservatives.

That is a fair call, can I ask question

I am looking at picking up your new book as I will need something to read after I have finished current book in a few weeks (I am a slow reader at night before bed). Do you have a link for that kindle on PC ?

Maybe something to do on the laptop now that I have it setup properly, and does it read the book to you ?

Back