Need some help...

SpikE Odets

Prowler
Society
AO
SpikE SpikE Odets
First I hope this is the right place to post this, as it has very little to do with EU except for the fact that I cant log in on my main machine.

I was playing the other day, and the screen frooze on me. I have had it happen before and hit the power button to reset the computer and start over again. This time when i hit the power button to reset it, I heard a pop and upon restart, blank screen.

I now have a Ati X1650 card in my case, but for some reason can not for the life of me get it to install a driver for this stupid thing. I have downloaded it from the manufacture site, ATI's site, I have even tried the Omega Drivers to see if they work. My last card as a ati 9200, so was a little bit confused by the msg I recieved when trying to install the driver "no driver found compatible for your operating system or computer configuration." Now im at work right now and can't get the exact error, but can take a sceen shot when I get home to see if anyone has seen this error before.

I have also gotten the error msg as "Please install standard VGA driver before trying to install"????

Just really confused by this all. I have replaced a few cards in the last 10 yrs and never ran into a problem like this, but hoping someone on here has and can give me a good direction to go, so I don't have to wait till monday night to get this fixed from the store i got it from.

System setup: Dual amd 4400+ 64 bit processors
Windows XP Media Edition
80gig sata drive.

SpikE

Try to uninstall the old driver before you install the new one

I though about that, and to make sure there was no other issues I formated my hd. It is a clean install of windows. :scratch:

Here is a screen shot to hopefully jog someones memory.

Are there any motherboard drivers you need to install before installing the component drivers? Maybe the pc can't detect the video card properly yet.

It is a quick restore disk, should install all the mb files while its restoring. I have looked on the web and see alot of pages where people are asking the same question with the same error.. hopefully i can find a fix other then taking the card back.

SpikE

Hiya Mate!

Make sure that the old driver are uninstalled...sometimes even with a quick reinstall it does not get rid of the lines in your Registry. I could be wrong on this (its been awhile since I had to do this myself). It also could be a compatibility issue as well. Had this happen awhile back and could not use the Vid Card with the set up I had. Hope any of this helps!

Vulc

Do you have all service packs and the .net framework installed?

You didn't accidentally grab the MS Vista version of the driver, did you?

Just guessing if you have onboard video chip and you need to switch the video to your card via bios?

You didn't accidentally grab the MS Vista version of the driver, did you?

Nope downlaoded the Windows Media Edition drivers, from both ATI and omega with the same results

Just guessing if you have onboard video chip and you need to switch the video to your card via bios?

Haven't checked that yet.. thanx for the tip will look at it now.

SpikE

Well thnx for anyone that tried to help with the card, but as I researched on the web (many different tech forums) with no fix found, I took it back to the place i got it from, and the owner played with it for 4 hrs and came up with the same result I did. The card would not work in my system. Only reason he could come up with is that I am on a nvidia chipset, and when a nvidia 7200 was popped it, the drivers installed right away.

This seems odd as I was running a ati in the machine before, but as im planning on upgrading my complete machine in a few months this was a very quick fix to hold me over.

SpikE

Back