Need work related suggestions

Our department's supervisor is going to retire late this year. I'm one of the two candidates that can possibly be chosen for that position. I've worked hard to get to where I am now, that is, department manager. I've worked lots of late hours, sometimes unpaid, just to make sure that my work is of the best quality and quantity.

The other department manager and I are being given a month to prepare for a training/seminar for the other department supervisors and managers.The group that we will be instructing has been divided into two. So that's one for the other manager and one for me. It wasn't specifically said that this will affect who will get the department supervisor position but still I really want to do my best.

Have I mentioned that I work in the HR department that's why we're in charge of the training, seminars and workshops?

Well anyway, my problem now is how I can make this seminar really worthwhile and memorable for the group that I will be instructing. What do you think is the best way to make presentations? Is it better if we hold the seminar outdoors or just stick with the conference room? Any suggestions, tips, advice?

Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to your replies.

Hi, I used to work in an HR department and based on what we had in our company before we conducted our training or rather a team building outside because we have observed that employees can learn easily while having fun at the same time:)

Do it outside and after it treat them to a nice barbecue or food.....same place.....not your ready made sandwiches cut in half or shitty sausage rolls those dry as a Saharan camels cu** things.....proper food.... With some nice wine or drinks....if your presentation is shit the barbecue or food will win you it but if your barbecue or food is shit and no matter how good your presentation is your fucked....when their smelling that good food half way through the presentation they won't be thinking about your presentation but the food....so when the time comes to judging they won't remember shit about your presentation but instead the good food hmmmm if his food was that good his presentation must of rocked remember they can't judge against you for something they didn't concentrate on and remember its against their rules..... Win win

Always remember good food is the way to anyone's heart.....

Last edited:
Are you allowed to go outdoors? If you are then why not have a team building after the seminar activity. In that way you can teach, learn, bond and enjoy at the same time.

I must have attended hundreds of seminars. The most memorable ones are where I have been put on edge; a fear that I will be asked to say something or comment; together with the knowledge I need to keep awake :).

The most enjoyable have always been slightly competitive where we have been made to split into teams to discuss something and then bring it back to the room as a whole. This always works best with diametrically opposite arguments - [for example to a mixed group of admin and sales people pose the question "who drives this business forward?"] Split the groups so you have admin and sales in both groups. Your role then is to walk between the groups and keep pushing them.

Just some random thoughts :)

Games are always fun for seminars: Split them in groups after the lectures and make them score points for the team based on right answers. This will promote teamwork. Another thing I really like is making everyone introduce themselves at the beginning but add "a little known fact about yourself" - this is always a great way to get to know everyone - not just by their title or function, but by something completely new about themselves, maybe the entry level person is not regarded as highly as his/her manager but you will find out he or she were past Olympians or maybe they climbed the Himalayas or they speak 6 languages, etc. Good luck!!

Back