Info: New forum sucks

Status

ntelinatsos

Stalker
Society
GU ---> A&D ---> pk ck ---> OU ---> GU HQ ---> cks ---> Synergen ---> Guess Who
Stelios AKALYPTOS ntelinatsos
sry about that but the new forum sucks...

edit:
cause some ppl asked me to clarify the reasons why i believe that the new forum sucks.. i'll mention some:

-The new forum is more complicated.
-Things i were doing in the old forum in just few seconds, now it takes minutes and some of the old things i were doing, i can't even find how to do them (i don't even know how to find my old posts for example). (solved)
-Also took me some time to find out how to insert my new uploaded images to my posts but the resolution sucks. (solved)
-I don't know if it's possible or how to use the images i have in my gallery. (solved)
-When opening links or images, in the past, they were opening in a new window, now they open in the same and that sucks. (not solved but there is another way now)
-The overall esthetics of the new forum sucks..
-Also i don't like the new like/dislike system where ppl using it to express their hatred (i'll give you an example in a new post).
old forum was awesome, i don't see why they changed it, i mean i didn't find any benefit so far. i only spend too much more time here to do things i were doing in way less time in the past, but let's wait and see..

thanks for reading, stelios..

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me how to insert Photos from my own gallery in a easy way or is this the new easiest way to do it:

With old Forum Software you could select, insert Image while editing the post, now you have to open another windows with your gallery, search for the picture then open it and then copy the code below the picture and insert it into your post. This is much worse than with old forum software. Is there another way I did not find or is this the new "easy" way of doing it?

you forgot to mention why ... it's like saying EU sucks and not giving a single reason :p
For example when easy tasks from old forum are much more complex or so well hidden that you do not find them. Or can you tell me how to insert a Picture from your Gallery into a post in a easy way as it was possible with the other forum software? With easy I think about something easy like with old forum software.

I want to think that the reasons for the change were economic. (Because really in beauty and functionality I must agree with Stelios)

To clarify maybe you could change the "What's new" and "New Posts" into the real meaning of their action.

"What's new" shows threads with new posts in decending order, read or not read.
"New Posts" shows only threads with a unread,new post.

So "New Posts" are threads with unread new posts while "What's new" is all threads read and unread in descending time sorted by date of the last post.

So in my view "New Posts" are "Unread Posts" and the "What's new" threads are sorted after the date of last, newest post or "Latest/Newest Post"

Maybe a person with english as first language can correct me if I'm wrong.

as i clarified in my first post, about the like/dislike system. you may see in this image an example of someone that disliked this thread, so he followed my profill and disliked two more posts of me to express his hatre to me and not to my posts
index.php

Last edited:
You read my mind. I think there are some nice new features.... Guess I'll have to get used to it... I do kinda miss the old forum tbh.

Sometimes forum software will cease to be supported and if you dont want to fall victim to security holes that will in this case not longer been fixed you need to switch the software. I think thats the 3rd time the software switched ? Of course it could be a complete different reason like maintaining this forum is more easy or cost effecient i dont know.

> -The new forum is more complicated.

Yes, and it offers more options wich is a good thing and take only time to get familliar with, but some features from the old forum are gone and i can only hope that we might get them back with some additional modules.

> -Things i were doing in the old forum in just few seconds, now it takes minutes and some of the old things i were doing, i can't even find how to do them (i don't even know how to find my old posts for example).

Next to new Posts is the Find Posts ledger , you expand it and can search for topics you started or threads you posted in for example. Nice and easy just get familliar with the new forum and it all fall in your lap probably.

Netlinatsos made a interesting point about the rep system tough , its my personal peference but i liked the old system a lot more.

You had to do multiple clicks so it was "harder", you was able to state a reason why you made that rep and it was private. Now it is a lot more easy, you can't state a reason anymore and its public. I was never a big user of that old rep system but i appreciated when i got some rep and i liked it when it came with a reason why it was given. I got a couple neg reps over the years and when they came with a reason i truely reflected about that and in some cases engaged in a pm with the rep sender to apologize or if it was a misunderstanding due english not being my first language to clear it up. The rep system we got here feels generic, easy to use, abuse and without any meaning. You could go so far that the old rep system was the "Soul" of the old forum while this feel like some kind of facebook copycat crap and being public will have an influence and self censoring effect on some people what they say and what not.

The majority is always right
There is only black and white
You belong to us or you are the enemy

Unfortunatly thats how most debattes are hold these days on social media. Rarely someone takes time anymore to try to undersand what the others have to say, they just look for confirmation of their own opinion and cast down hate and disrespect towards everyone who dosn't match their believes. A rep system that was once a tool to encourage positive behaviour and give feedback became at one point a weapon cyber knights wield to raise themself and their kind above and cast down everyone else. It completly lost its original meaning and the world would be better off if it didn't exist.

Achievements/hofs forum doesn't feel the same without a gratz button. And people can even dislike there now.. Fking trolls.

I want to see who is viewing a thread (including MindArk) like in the past.

I want back the old rep bar... and +rep and -rep system. This reaction system blows.

When you go into your Gallery and I want to select a picture, click on it and you then notice it is the wrong one, you can't go to the next picture instead you have to use the browser back to go back to your gallery and then click on the next picture to get it's code to copy and use it in your post. Needs much more clicking and time to do the same as with previous software.

Why is the picture stripe below the image filled with images from other users and not with mine when I select in My Gallery a Picture? Can this behavoir be changed anywhere?

Change sucks and change is required. Old software goes out of date and support. New software generally doesn't have everything you want, but can come close. This software is probably the best we could get compared to what we had.
  • I don't like how it does seem to take more clicks to do things and it is harder to find what I am looking for. But maybe that is just me having trouble adapting to change.
  • I don't like how so many people have Red X's for their signatures now (limitations in how the forums handles linked images).
  • I miss the Landing Page with News, Latest Posts, etc.
  • I miss Calypso Time / Local Time in the footer.
  • Sometimes the forums just hang when clicking on a new message and loads and loads and loads until you hit refresh.
  • I miss the old Reputation / Gratz system.
This is like when Microsoft made us leave Windows 7 for Windows 8. At first it definitely wasn't as good. But now, Windows 10 is getting pretty close to what Windows 7 offered.

It isn't all bad; these forums look fantastic on my iPhone.
:beerchug:

-The new forum is more complicated.
-Things i were doing in the old forum in just few seconds, now it takes minutes and some of the old things i were doing, i can't even find how to do them (i don't even know how to find my old posts for example).

The navigation and menu of the new forum is much more streamlined, while providing more functionality.
I think you just need to get used to the using the new forum and you will eventually appreciate how much smoother and easier most things are.

-Also took me some time to find out how to insert my new uploaded images to my posts but the resolution sucks.
-I don't know if it's possible or how to use the images i have in my gallery.

No changes were made to the resolution settings for images.
On the gallery page for an image, there are handy one-click "copy to clipboard" macros, just click the one for "Copy image BB Code" and paste the code into your forum post.

-When opening links or images, in the past, they were opening in a new window, now they open in the same and that sucks.

Links to external sites still open in a new window, all internal links do not. This is standard practice for a large portion of websites.

Depending on the BB Code used by the poster, images will usually open in a lightbox and do not take you away from the page you were viewing.
Simply click the X in the top-right corner of the lightbox to return the page where you clicked on the image.

-The overall esthetics of the new forum sucks.

Apparently you didn't bother to read the PCF Server Move and Software Migration thread or the PCF Forum Migration Complete before posting your criticisms, where I explain multiple times that:

The new PlanetCalypsoForum website will initially offer two (sleek and minimalist) custom visual themes, one light and one dark. These themes are temporary, and will be replaced after the summer by custom themes provided by MindArk, which will feature Entropia-related images and design.

Can anyone tell me how to insert Photos from my own gallery in a easy way or is this the new easiest way to do it:

With old Forum Software you could select, insert Image while editing the post, now you have to open another windows with your gallery, search for the picture then open it and then copy the code below the picture and insert it into your post. This is much worse than with old forum software. Is there another way I did not find or is this the new "easy" way of doing it?

That feature was literally a modification to an add-on to a third-party add-on (basically a McGyver hack), not standard functionality of the old forum software.
I already plan to investigate add-ons that might offer similar functionality, but cannot promise anything at the moment.

I want to think that the reasons for the change were economic. (Because really in beauty and functionality I must agree with Stelios)

The reasons for changing platform were not economic.

The new forum platform (XenForo) is a vastly superior product than the old platform (vBulletin) in pretty much every way that matters: usability, security, stability, responsiveness, extensibility, customization, maintainability, and compatibility with the latest versions of underlying software (MySQL, PHP, Unix, etc.).

as i clarified in my first post, about the like/dislike system. you may see in this image an example of someone that disliked this thread, so he followed my profill and disliked two more posts of me to express his hatre to me and not to my posts

That same bad behavior was possible in the old reputation system. In fact, they could also send abusive messages and profanity-laced insults in their private reputation comments.

I want to see who is viewing a thread (including MindArk) like in the past.

This functionality will return later today.

Last edited:
I was about to moan about the colour scheme but then found dark mode which at least is bearable. I feel like someone just erased some history though by changing the appearance... still, there's no pleasing some people.

I was about to moan about the colour scheme but then found dark mode which at least is bearable. I feel like someone just erased some history though by changing the appearance... still, there's no pleasing some people.

Indeed, I remember taking lots of criticism when the PCF forum themes (those that were active last week) replaced the original EntropiaForum themes many years ago. :ROFLMAO:

Now I get flak for replacing those PCF themes. :dunno:

I suppose it is simply that some people are very resistant to change, and people take varying amounts of time to accept change when it comes.

Also, please keep in mind that the current forum themes are temporary, as I have explained quite a few times now:

The new PlanetCalypsoForum website will initially offer two (sleek and minimalist) custom visual themes, one light and one dark. These themes are temporary, and will be replaced after the summer by custom themes provided by MindArk, which will feature Entropia-related images and design.

Last edited:
Netlinatsos made a interesting point about the rep system tough , its my personal peference but i liked the old system a lot more.

You had to do multiple clicks so it was "harder", you was able to state a reason why you made that rep and it was private. Now it is a lot more easy, you can't state a reason anymore and its public. I was never a big user of that old rep system but i appreciated when i got some rep and i liked it when it came with a reason why it was given. I got a couple neg reps over the years and when they came with a reason i truely reflected about that and in some cases engaged in a pm with the rep sender to apologize or if it was a misunderstanding due english not being my first language to clear it up. The rep system we got here feels generic, easy to use, abuse and without any meaning. You could go so far that the old rep system was the "Soul" of the old forum while this feel like some kind of facebook copycat crap and being public will have an influence and self censoring effect on some people what they say and what not.

This, good lord so much this.

Can we have the old system back or is that just not possible?

So far Im not a big fan, but Im pretty sure its because of the change... Atm its not as enjoyable to read the forums as it was before and Im more hesitant to check the forum if im bored.

Might take some time to adjust to this change...

I suppose it may get better, it needs more polish at present. At the time of posting though I agree with the OP.

On the flip side i do like the new PM system and the way it displays as a conversation chain instead of PM with quote boxes

Just taking my time to get the grooves worn in. It's a new layout and will have teething issues like most things. No need to dump on it

How can I browse through My Gallery when I click on a picture in My Gallery to copy the code and then deside it was the next one I need to copy the URL?
Do I really have to use the back function of the Browser to go back to My Gallery overview and then select the next picture?
Why does it have to go to the pictures of the subforum I posted the picture in and show me Pictures from that section when I was in My Gallery?

Edit:

The same when you use filter, it resets itselve and instead of your pictures you see the pictures in this section you posted the picture in when you go to next or previous picture.

Last edited:
The navigation and menu of the new forum is much more streamlined, while providing more functionality.
I think you just need to get used to the using the new forum and you will eventually appreciate how much smoother and easier most things are.

No changes were made to the resolution settings for images.
On the gallery page for an image, there are handy one-click "copy to clipboard" macros, just click the one for "Copy image BB Code" and paste the code into your forum post.

Links to external sites still open in a new window, all internal links do not. This is standard practice for a large portion of websites.

Depending on the BB Code used by the poster, images will usually open in a lightbox and do not take you away from the page you were viewing.
Simply click the X in the top-right corner of the lightbox to return the page where you clicked on the image.

Apparently you didn't bother to read the PCF Server Move and Software Migration thread or the PCF Forum Migration Complete before posting your criticisms, where I explain multiple times that:

I like the new forum.
The old forum software was really outdated.
Because we are all EU players a lot of us think outdated is better, but it really isn't :p

Seems to work a lot smoother than the old one and also functions much better on mobile devices.

index.php

He didn't just do it to you. Me also. Just a troll.

I think the change is great, and was much needed. The old site was clunky and had no responsive design. They even managed to do the migration in a respectable time frame, without completely shitting on the database.

The only complaint I have is the logo. It looks terrible how the shadow clips on the left side.

I actually like the new forum allot. Faster, cleaner and when I started using dark mode i think it looks great!

Status
Back