Info: New forum sucks

Status
I want to see who is viewing a thread (including MindArk) like in the past.

I also like the dark theme for the forum option.

Update: That feature is now available..Dammit that was added fast . Good job

:shower:

Last edited:
I want to see who is viewing a thread (including MindArk) like in the past.

That is the bit I like that has changed.

If you "would like to see if Mindark is looking at your thread," just hover over their names in 'online members' list. ;)

I also like the dark theme for the forum option.

:shower:

Also now at bottom of each thread it shows whose viewing the thread (including MindArk) like in the past.

The reasons for changing platform were not economic.

The new forum platform (XenForo) is a vastly superior product than the old platform (vBulletin) in pretty much every way that matters: usability, security, stability, responsiveness, extensibility, customization, maintainability, and compatibility with the latest versions of underlying software (MySQL, PHP, Unix, etc.).

Only one attribute you have mentioned is focused on end users (usability). But the truth is I do not feel a better "usability" with this new forum. (Maybe you basically said that because it instantly adapts to desktop and smartphone presentation without making any manual adjustments?) But even the "usability" attribute must be broken down into sub-attributes to understand how end users feel better with a new design.
The other attributes (security, stability, responsiveness, extensibility, customization, maintainability, and compatibility) are probably very good for you as the administrator responsible for this forum (backend users). But believe me we are not as happy as you.

The other attributes (security, stability, responsiveness, extensibility, customization, maintainability, and compatibility) are probably very good for you as the administrator responsible for this forum (backend users). But believe me we are not as happy as you.

This view is very shortsighted.

• Improved security means that YOUR data and that of all members is more secure.
  • Improved stability means less downtime of the forum, fewer errors, and fewer bugs. That clearly benefits all members and visitors.
  • Improved responsiveness means that forum pages load more quickly, search results are returned faster, etc. Clearly a benefit to all members and visitors.
  • Improved extensibility means that new features can be added to the forum more easily, improving the experience for all forum users.
  • Improved customization means that features unique to PCF are more easily implemented in the future, benefiting all members.
  • Improved maintainability means that the forum software can more easily be kept up to date, which improves the security, stability, and responsiveness of PCF, all of which benefit all members and visitors.
  • Improved compatibility means that the forum software continues to be compatible with the backend software on the server where the forum is hosted, which improves the security, stability, and responsiveness of PCF, all of which benefit all members and visitors.
But yea, all of those improvements were for my sake. ?

Agree but i just dont like change in general.

The downfall of the human race ;)

It will take a bit of getting use to the new forum, but i do welcome improvements - albeit with the classic UK grumblings under my breath.

Rgds
Ace

I like the new forum, I think the change has been positive overall.

Give it a chance :)

Is it positive that when you go to your Gallery or Filter the pictures to only display your pictures and then click on one of your pictures that you then are not anymore in your gallery but in the gallery of the theme you poseted your picture into, f.x. Misc Pictcs or Hall of Fame or whatever section you did post your picture into. So the film strip or next/previous picture does not go through YOUR GALLERY but it goes through the pictures in the Section it was posted in. So I have to use the Browsers Page-Back feature to go to the overview of My Gallery to select next picture instead of going forward or backwards through my Gallery.

New Software which has less or removed valuable features the previous software had it most of the time not appreciated by users of a service.

So we have atm less funtionallity in the Gallery, difficult, cumbersom way of pasting pictures from the own Gallery into a Post.

Crippled reputation system compared to the one we had, only possible to post Emoji out of 7 and no explanation.

How can you remove a given rep from a post?

Is it positive that when you go to your Gallery or Filter the pictures to only display your pictures and then click on one of your pictures that you then are not anymore in your gallery but in the gallery of the theme you poseted your picture into, f.x. Misc Pictcs or Hall of Fame or whatever section you did post your picture into. So the film strip or next/previous picture does not go through YOUR GALLERY but it goes through the pictures in the Section it was posted in. So I have to use the Browsers Page-Back feature to go to the overview of My Gallery to select next picture instead of going forward or backwards through my Gallery.

There is no such thing as "your gallery", just "the gallery". The PCF gallery has always been category-centric, not user-centric.

New Software which has less or removed valuable features the previous software had it most of the time not appreciated by users of a service.

So we have atm less funtionallity in the Gallery, difficult, cumbersom way of pasting pictures from the own Gallery into a Post.

The message editor shortcut for inserting gallery images on the old forum was a modification to an add-on to a third-party add-on, not standard functionality. I will try to find a way to replace that functionality, but cannot make any promises.

Crippled reputation system compared to the one we had, only possible to post Emoji out of 7 and no explanation.

The reputation comments system was extremely problematic on the old forum, with lots of abuse resulting in lots of extra work for the forum staff. There are no plans to restore the comments feature here. There is already a private message feature allowing members to privately communicate with one another; there is no reason that the reputation system should duplicate that functionality in a one-direction manner.

How can you remove a given rep from a post?

That was not possible in the old rep system, either.

I like this change, and since it isn't 100% finished yet, new features popping up quite often, theme isn't live yet and so on, so I guess
we can't start complaining really. We have to wait until mid/late autumn until we see how it actually gonna be.
Until then, drop ideas instead of complaints. :)

There is no such thing as "your gallery", just "the gallery". The PCF gallery has always been category-centric, not user-centric.

Really, what I remember is that I could go to my images, select on of my images and then could go back and forth trough my pictures from there.
Now in this forum software if you do the same you go back and forth not in your pictures but in the pictures posted in that section of PCF gallery. So you go trough pictures of other users even though you went into it browsing your pictures! I hope you understand it now. Also when you select to filter the pictures as soon as you click on one picture the filter is gone and you go trough the pictures of that section not trough your pictures.

The message editor shortcut for inserting gallery images on the old forum was a modification to an add-on to a third-party add-on, not standard functionality. I will try to find a way to replace that functionality, but cannot make any promises.

You already mentioned this so no need to mention it again.

The reputation comments system was extremely problematic on the old forum, with lots of abuse resulting in lots of extra work for the forum staff. There are no plans to restore the comments feature here. There is already a private message feature allowing members to privately communicate with one another; there is no reason that the reputation system should duplicate that functionality in a one-direction manner.

So A Emoji is the replacement for the possibility to explain why you plus or minus repped a Comment, I think this is much worse than to explain the person why you disagree and to do this with a PM is a lot worse than to do it with the rep posting as most will not make a PM to explain why they disagreed with your post. People are lazy and after you minus repped someone why should you then go to open a PM discussion with him to explain the neg rep you gave?

That was not possible in the old rep system, either.

I did not say it was possible but I noticed that in the old rep system I never ever gave a Like/Dislike by mistake, that has happend to me with this new rep system already without me wanting to post this rep.

The new forum is different, and as usual for mere humans, it takes some time to getting used to it.
However, to my knowledge it is WAY faster, and I have no trouble finding all the stuff that I need. Good upgrades! Possibly need some tweaking, but then all new things do.
Yes we did loose the 'gratz' button in the hof/discovery/achievement category, but basically we gained the like-button that is way better accessible as it is now.

So A Emoji is the replacement for the possibility to explain why you plus or minus repped a Comment, I think this is much worse than to explain the person why you disagree and to do this with a PM is a lot worse than to do it with the rep posting as most will not make a PM to explain why they disagreed with your post. People are lazy and after you minus repped someone why should you then go to open a PM discussion with him to explain the neg rep you gave?

The primary purpose of any forum is to facilitate civil and open discussions between members.
If you disagree with someone's post, then you should post a reply in the thread explaining your viewpoint to the poster and other readers, and thereby move the discussion forward.

The private, one-way reputation comment system encouraged lots of negativity and members taking "pot shots" at one another, and resulted in a constant escalation of "revenge reps", as well as coordinated "neg rep" campaigns by one group or society versus another. For whatever reason, the semi-private nature of reputation comments seemed to encourage a drastic increase in toxicity and abuse between members.

None of this was productive or useful for anyone involved, not to mention the hundreds of hours of time wasted by the forum staff dealing with reports of inappropriate reputation comments.

My view is that the new reactions system is a good way for members to quickly show their appreciation or feelings for a thread or post when they don't have time to post a full reply, without all of the drawbacks that the old reputation comment system created.

I think its change... I miss the old forum too. I like the old forum more than this new one overall. But I am finding that there are things I like about the new one, and I'm getting a little more used to it as time goes on.

I do hope they bring back some of the old features, and definitely put more of a an Entropia feel to this. I think they mentioned they would have an Entropia theme coming soon, cant wait

We used to have a last button for each thread to jump to the last post. Can we please get that back.

I wonder what forum people would use if they were both made available

• Haha
Reactions: Ted
We used to have a last button for each thread to jump to the last post. Can we please get that back.
Just click on the timestamp on the right side of the thread list, it is there along with the name of the poster of the last post in each thread. What seems to be missing is the link to the first post since your last visit.

I don't like the layout. Don't like the functionality over the old forum and totally fail to understand how changes are always seen as "progress".

All the forum updates so far have resulted in a loss, one way or another. Forum dollars anyone? Still waiting for them to be returned.

The up side is that it saves me a lot of time since I hardly feel the urge to browse the forum anymore.
But I guess that will make some people very happy!

I wonder what forum people would use if they were both made available
The old one because people resist change, like doing what they are used to and feel invested because all forums are clunky and hard to learn.

286555-47b260dc0935c645d552ab5b5ec22e67.jpg

Old forum had animated GIF's.

As usual no help from you.

I get to work out for myself why my former GIF doesn't work right?

I hope you dont work in Support because you are very bad at it.

As usual no help from you.

As usual? I have spent the past week sorting out issues identified by other members, and have resolved nearly all of them.
Please show an example where I have NOT helped?

I get to work out for myself why my former GIF doesn't work right?

You embedded a non-animated image in your post, and you did not seem to be looking for help.
I embedded an animated image in my post to show that animated GIFs do indeed work.
Please try uploading a new animated GIF image to the gallery, and you will see that it works.

I hope you dont work in Support because you are very bad at it.

I do not work in support, and never claimed to do so.

Last edited:
You embedded a non-animated image in your post, and you did not seem to be looking for help.

I wonder what that says in the bottom right corner.

I'm not engaging further in this conversation. Go and annoy someone else (pretty please) xxxx

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what that says in the bottom right corner.

I am supposed to interpret the "gifb" watermark as a request for help?
Be serious.
First of all, most GIF images are not animated, so that watermark by no means indicates that the image is supposed to be animated.

I'm not engaging further in this conversation. Go and annoy someone else (pretty please) xxxx

Someone is definitely being annoying here. I'm confident anyone who reads the past several posts will realize who it is.

Little by little, the new forum is growing on me. Each day I use it, I'm getting a bit more familiarized with its features. I sure do like the new load times and mobile compatibility.

Overall, I think I'm still leaning towards liking the old forum a bit more, maybe 60/40 at this point.

This new forum desperately needs a landing page and an Entropia theme. Feels very generic for me. Smooth running, but generic.

Status
Back